Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer poured from bottle into a Tulip shaped glass

A - Beer pours with a well-carbonated orange, light amber colored body; one finger white colored head; didn't hold very well, but looked very healthy; streaky lacing formed on the side of the glass

S - Citrus orange nose; caramel malt scents; touch of sugary pine and nice blend of hop; wheat grass; very explosive floral smells of sweet rose water

T - Smooth caramel malt taste; citrus-orange; hop flavors of grass and pine; slight biscuit taste; brown sugar; pineapple; dry taste

M - Smooth and creamy; very bitter aftertaste and astringent feel; nice and tasty; not very effervescent; tart

D - I really liked this beer; this beer has the superb caramel and high-octane bitter hop taste that would make it extremely enjoyed by every hop loving beer drinker on the planet; great stuff; good work

ferrari29, Dec 09, 2011

alexsergio, Dec 09, 2011

groetman, Dec 09, 2011

MaltRoomAssoc, Dec 09, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz into Ommegang BPA glass.

Very faint off-white head that fades quickly over an extremely clear golden to orange colored body.

Aromas are awesome. Fresh tangerine, pineapple, mango, and sweet maltiness.

Really light on the palate for a DIPA, with flavors of juicy grapefruit, pine, and guava. Great sweet, malt backbone to help balance. Delicious.

Abundant carbonation keeps this one from becoming thick on the mouthfeel. Nice dry finish.

The intense level of the flavor profile is somewhat surprising, given the <8% ABV. Whether this one is a PtE clone or not, it's straight delicious, and I will be searching feverously for a case starting tomorrow morning.

BeerImmediately, Dec 09, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Mostly yellow, nearly translucent, with a one-finger white head. Decent lacing.

Smell is musty, sweet hops. Citrus edge to it. Nothing remarkable but very nice smelling.

Taste reminds me of Daisy Cutter--the musty hops and a citrus edge with a little bit of sweetness. Only the slightest taste of butter in the malt. It's nice but not something I'd seek out.

Also, like Daisy Cutter, it's pretty thin. Easy to drink and tasty enough.

birderbeerer, Dec 09, 2011

funkel81, Dec 09, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

The ale comes to me in a 12oz bottle. Poured into a tulip glass its a clear, light gold, but looks a little thin. A large, two inch, lightly packed, frothy head that dissipates quickly leaving Granny’s lacing behind. (Once the head was gone there is little lacing)

A huge, wonderful, sweet pine aroma mixed with a little grapefruit on the nose. You don’t need to get near the glass to smell it, the pine surrounds you!

As you would guess from the aroma, this ales flavor up front is predominantly pine. There is tropical fruit in the middle, which I couldn’t figure at first, but now is clearly a giant wallop of mango. That might mean it was dry hopped with Amarillo hops, I haven’t been able to find the ingredients. A smoothly combined piney/tropical with something a little musky, though not unpleasant, in the finish.

Great mouth feel to the ale, though it seems slightly under carbonated. ABV of 7.85% is completely hidden, mostly by the 100% PSTU (Pine Smell & Taste Unit). I love this beer. I love this brewery. I’ll drink this again soon,

deepchills, Dec 09, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

I tried this on the recommendation of my friend jastack. I'm very glad I did. I can't speak much for the color since I have only been drinking it out of the bottle. But the smell is amazing. Truly smells like Christmas. Almost reminds me of a Christmas Tree. Once I drank it I knew it would be a favorite. Has a perfect hoppy taste that's not too overbearing but just right. It reminds me of a 90 minute, but smoother. It goes down very smooth. I brought it to my brother-in-law's house last weekend. He drinks one of two things, whiskey or cheap beer. The only time he tries anything good is if I'm around. He couldn't get enough of the stuff. It's amazing, and I only hope that they keep it around for years to come.

Bailarge, Dec 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours into a tulip a crystal clear golden color. The head is a bit fizzy and thin and clean white. Leaves some fair lacing.

Huge juicy and fresh hop smell. Like a cross between Hopslam and Abrasive. Citrusy, grassy and fruity.

Very tasty indeed. Lots of citrus and tropical fruit from all of the hops. A very nice malt backbone for sweetness and balance. A very long flavor that leaves a hoppy citrus aftertaste.

A mostly smooth feel. The carbonation is a touch sharp. A bit sticky, but finishes dry.

Tough to set this one down. Very drinkable and enjoyable. A poor mans Hopslam dare I say. A solid DIPA that I will have no problem enjoying the rest of my bottles.

jera1350, Dec 09, 2011

plumcrazyfx, Dec 09, 2011

sgoro, Dec 09, 2011

JRod1969, Dec 09, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

(A) Pours a very clean, clear, light golden yellow. Not as much of a richer, deeper golden hue that I was expecting. Half to three quarter inch white head that leaves ample lacing.

(S) Smell is of fresh hops. Grapefruit and light malts are what make up most of this aroma. Pine and some orange rind dance around as well.

(T) The taste is down right a really fresh hopped beer. Puts up against Founders Harvest and Surly Wet. This is a little thinner on the hop flavoring and not so full, but I think it's because of the different hop variety used. There are definitely some unfermented residual sugars left in the brew from the light malts. The end of the taste is very sweet and sugary. It's a little refresher from the overall bitterness.

(M) Oily for the most part, but with a little bit of grain to it. Definitely medium to medium light body and ends a little dry.

(O) Solid DIPA. I actually like this better than their original IPA and Maximus. I like fresh hopped beers and this seems like it was done with fresh hops. Can it give Pliny a run for it's money as some people have suggested? I don't think so because it's a different beer and done differently. It's good on its own, let's not toss it up against Pliny.

cjacobsen, Dec 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

No bottling or best by date...I never learn. 12 oz bottle from a six pack.

Pours a slightly hazed medium yellow with an inch of puff that pusses out to thin skim. Lacing is pretty damn lacy.

Nosey tropicality the likes of pineapple, gummy peaches and oddly guava. Whatever the hop I perceive as peach is a hop I dig. I used to eat the hell out of those Gummy peaches, but I cannot stomach the texture of an actual peach. This is the life I lead; play on player.

Guava up front segues to a firm moderate bitter bite through the middle and that sort-of-difficult-to-describe-but-you-know-it's-Lagunitas-sandpapery-graininess on the finish. Reminiscent of the Sumpins with a slightly more tropical hop profile.

There is something about the grainy feel of these beers that doesn't quite sit well with me; it's almost a solvent quality that takes away from some of more impressive parts of the beer.

Another good bang for the buck beer from Lagunitas, but not a major departure from their more standard hoppy offerings.

BarrytheBear, Dec 09, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Ithaca glass. It poured a bright, clear, amber color with a half inch of frothy white foam filling the top of the glass. Great head retention and nice lacing as I drank it as well.

The aroma has a fantastic juicy, tropical fruit like hoppiness to it. I get some notes of peach, pineapple and come mango to it. I love the juiciness to it.

The taste also shows some very nice tropical fruit hoppiness to it throughout the beer. I get a little more of a bitter grapefruit presence mixing in with the peach and mango then I did in the aroma. It also really helps the keep the sweet, juiciness of it in check.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall I thought it was a fantastic hoppy beer. I really loved the juicy, fruity, hoppy flavors. Very easy drinking, flavorful and at a very reasonable price as well. Lagunitas nailed it on this one. I'd buy this all the time if they decide to make it more often.

billab914, Dec 09, 2011

JSkone09, Dec 08, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

I gave this beer a strong pour and ended up with a finger of off-white head. The body is a very eye-catching golden-amber color. Head dissipates in a few minutes to leave a small but frothy ring around the glass. A steady stream of bubbles rises bottom to top. Nice lacing as well.

Oranges, grapefruits and mangos smack you in the nose when you smell this one. They smell juicy enough to bite into. The smell of fresh cut pine trees is also in there. Upon further inspection, a light malt aroma is noticed that provides a counterpoint to the delicious hoppiness.

The flavor is much more subdued than the nose is. Grapefruit, pineapple and pine are prevalent, this transitions into a malt flavor and finishes off on the piney bitter side.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation is at the perfect level. Doesn't coat the mouth very much, rather slides over the tongue and down the throat, leaving your mouth very dry, although that only provides motivation for the next sip.

I have to say, this beer surprised me. I have not had the Brown Shugga and do not know how good it is, but after trying it's stand in, I certainly hope they do not permanently shelve this beer after this run. It is much to good for that.

CFHMagnet, Dec 08, 2011

tjseveryday, Dec 08, 2011

PEIhop, Dec 08, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow that shot up a good two finger head that is leaving some very nice lacing. Lots of visible carbonation.
Aroma is full of aromatic hops. Defiantly more on the tropical fruit side. I get plenty of pineapple, tangerine and citrus rind.
The hops really come out in the flavor. I get the same pineapple and tangerine from the nose. Really nice medium body, very smooth and super drinkable.
Nice beer. It reminds me of little something wild with a little more of that tangy simco hop flavor to it. I will defiantly do this one again.

hdelavega, Dec 08, 2011