Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

One of my favorite beers, so probably a biased review. However, should be offset by the fact that it's 4 months old. We'll see.

A - vigorous pour into a pint glass yields a beautiful golden orange, very nice clarity, faint carbonation, and about a pinky's worth of head that settles quickly and is leaves good, but not great, lacing.

S - besides my most favoritest of beers, this is the best smell a beer can have. Smells distinctly of Lagunitas hops - grapefruit, slightly orange, slightly sweet. A little resiny.

T - dear God. How do they make it so, so good? Even after four months, the taste that made me, literally, get back in my car and drive to buy a case worth is still there. Malty sweetness with citrus and piney bitterness chasing. Absolutely amazing.

M - light to medium, nice carbonation. The bitterness lingers but I get almost no alcohol burn. If anything is lacking in this brew, it's the mouth feel, which is still good, just not as spectacular as the other aspects.

O - Holy Lord is it good! This is the beer that made me realize the boys in Petaluma know what the F they're doing. I'd only tried their IPA before buying this, and since have tried everything they put out. Thank you Sucks, for opening my world up to the glory of Lagunitas. I am forever indebted.

3.03/5  rDev -30.3%

Imbibed on 4/24/2012. I mention this because it is a double IPA that could have been fresher, though I don't think it would have changed my review much.

Poured a clear orange color with a light, airy head. Lacing is noticeable. Malt is very prevalent. Cereal, orange blossom sweetness. The hops are subdued for a Lagunitas brew. They're there but it's not a wallop like it could have been. Good malt backbone comes through in the taste. Orange prevalent again, a good amount of citrus with a bit of zest. Little hop flavor, somewhat grassy. Not too bitter for the IBUs. Subtle. I just called a Lagunitas beer subtle. Wow.

This reminded me of Two Hearted a lot. The malt is similar to TH, but it has more meat on its bones. I was expecting the hops to play a bigger role and I feel that the malt was a bit too thick and overpowering for my taste. Good, but I didn't go bananas over it. Also, it doesn't really profile as a DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a very nice clear golden color with a nice white head that is dense. The head is about 1 inch tall. The head retention is great. Sticky lacing is left stuck to the glass as the white head slowly recedes.

Aroma is delicious. Such a nice hop profile. Starts off with citrus notes of orange and tangerines and quickly transitions to an explosion of tropical fruit notes. Peaches, tons of mangos and papaya. These notes are so well balanced with the mouthwatering juicy citrus hop notes. The back end there is some mild biscuit to it and earthy grain but this nose is and amazing array of hops.

Flavor starts off following the nose. Delicious tropical fruit notes coat the palette. Papaya notes with some mango and then nice tangerine and orange rind notes. There is also some slight resinous pine notes in the middle. The brew is slightly dank. There is some slight sweetness on the back end with some grain that adds some balance but these are barely noticeable as the hops are very tasty and lively. A vivid demonstration of what hops can do. Mouthfeel is crisp light-medium and clean with a bitter finish and somewhat of sticky aftertaste.

Lagunitas had no choice but to release this marvelous beer after the Brown Shugga fiasco. It is delicious.

4.35/5  rDev 0%

We pour a light copper colored brew. It holds a one finger head of tannish-white bubbles. This retains forever, finally leaving stripes of lacing around the glass as it goes. There are swirls of yeasty haze, and carbonation is high. The nose is beautifully bright with fresh peaches, white grapes, and blueberries sitting high on some piney, citrusy hops. Malts are paler, with a faint toasted caramel. Black pepper and raw mustard sit far on the back with warmth. Our first impression is that this is great, but that the nose is better than the taste. As we sip into it, we first get biting citric hops and rind, with some robustly pale, metallic malts. These border on adjuncty for a split second, before sweetness of tangerine and lemon flesh pull us through to the peak, which itself is highlighted by brown sugar and earthy hops. This all blends to the back, where we finish on notes of spicy, earthen hops, more toasty malts, and some sweetness of grapefruit and berries. The aftertaste is bitter and metallic, but soft for big grapefruity hops and some light peppery booze. The body is medium, and the carbonation is active. There is supreme slurp, cream, and froth due, in part, to the gorgeously retained head. The beer is soft to the touch and evenly coats the mouth. This dries it quickly, leaving a slightly astringent metallic coating around the palate and back of the tongue. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks fantastically.

Overall, what we enjoyed most was the nose and the evenness of taste. The aromatics were bold and bright, and the fruitiness, mixed with the hops, added freshness. The taste followed suit, but the bitterness of the hops tended to drown out the other flavors. Finally, if we must gripe, the coloring was a little light for our preference, but this was made up for greatly by the beautiful carbonation and head, and the following retention. This all lead to a fantastic fell and slurp, making this beer great from every angle.

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip at cellar temperature. Way late to the party on this one, but my grocery store had it, and I can’t say no to limited releases!

L - Deep gold color with a 3-finger, thick, creamy white head. Good retention, solid lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Nice mix of tropical fruit hops with mango and pineapple notes and caramel malt with a brown sugar tinge. I can imagine that the hops would be more pronounced in a fresh bottle, but they’re still noticeable for sure.

T - Sweet caramel and sugar with subdued tropical fruit hop flavors. Still noticeable bitterness at the finish, but definitely more malty than hoppy.

F - Medium-bodied, good amount of tingling carbonation, chewy mouthfeel, and a moderately dry and bitter finish that builds gradually and lingers for a nice amount of time.

O - This is a tasty beer and I’m sure it would be a whole lot tastier if it was a few months fresher. Nice sugary, candy aromas and flavors that are perfect for the holiday season with enough hops to satisfy anyone year-round. A little too much malt and too few hops for my liking in a DIPA, but I’m going to attribute that to the age. Still very tasty.

Edit: I recently had a fresher sample, and it was phenomenal. Those tropical fruit hops are much more pronounced. This beer fresh is one of the better DIPAs that I’ve had. It is loaded with hops, yet very, very drinkable. This is one tasty beer. Do yourself a favor and get this one fresh while you can.

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle from Marina Market (though I paid for this, thanks for still having the beer!)
No bottled on date
Poured into a standard US pint glass.

Lagunitas has a winner on their hands with this "extra IPA" style beer. Whether it be the pine-like hops that are perfect for the winter season, the delicious citrus fruitiness, or the well-balanced malt character, Lagunitas Sucks hits all the right notes for me. An explosion of hop taste with a slightly higher than normal ABV for the style is all I need from a DIPA: if this were year round, it would probably be my go to for the style.

Pours a tall (>3cm) head of just off-white bubbles that are medium to large in size. This creates a frothy head with numerous punctuations in it where bubbles have popped. Head takes some time to dissipate, leaving good lace along the sides of the glass as it goes down. Body is a clear golden orange color away from light, yellow orange when held to my monitor. Streams of carbonation flood the view, very active carbonation.

Nice pine resin aroma (almost like that of a dying pine tree or pine branches in your house) mixed with some citrus fruits (grapefruit, meyer lemon) and mild malts detectable in the back.

First sip, beer tastes just like some slightly watered-down wort that has just had some hop additions, that contribute pine and grapefruit flavors, made to it. Aftertaste is lingering bitterness with mild malt sweetness around the edges. Ethanol becomes a bit too present on the back of the palate when this warms, making this a bit less desirable. Still super-good, but would be even better if it hid its alcohol a bit better.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy bodied, with ample carbonation to keep this moving along the palate. The result is a beer that foams up in the mouth, creating a fairly creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Finish is quite dry and slightly sticky from the extra malt sweetness to balance this out.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%