Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the Apex in PDX the other day.

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. I'm a little surprised by what I get on the nose, as I thought I recalled getting more tropical fruit then what i'm getting today. This beer smells like a hop bomb (not that I'm complaining), as I get considerable pine, lemon-lime, and some light dry citrus. On the palate, this beer is very dry and bitter, and I really feel this beer could use a bit more malt to balance all that bitterness. There's a hint of cherry and an intriguing light smoke flavor in the mid palate (I almost got something of a bean with bacon soup flavor, which completely surprised me), but it's really not nearly enough to counter and balance the avalanche of hoppy bitterness I get on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile.

A really well made beer from Lagunitas, even if a bit more tropical fruit would have been appreciated to better handle the bucketload of hoppy bitterness in this beer. Ultimately, I enjoyed the bottle I had of this beer last year as opposed to the uber fresh draft version I had at Apex.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

A - pours murky light honey, nice white head that stays for a long time, lots of cling lace.

S - very malty and very hoppy. I don't know which one is more dominant. Probably the hops, but it is close.

T - aggressive malt completely squashed by even more aggressive hops.

M - medium body, good carb , balance heavy to the hops and slightly metallic towards the finish.

D - one very tasty beer!

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a clear orange-amber with a dense soapy head that settles to a thin haze, leaving lots of soapy lacing. Lovely aromas of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and pine resin. Taste is similarly tropical, with lots of fresh hop flavors and a moderately bitter finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly sticky, with a medium body and ample carbonation. Really excellent DIPA, glad I finally got to try it (missed out all last year).

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company