Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

emdawg, Jan 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a pale orangish-amber with a mountain of thin, loose head that has decent retention. The nose is incredibly floral with some citrusy undertones. The flavor is citrusy and mildly bitter. The malt character is lightly bready. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some heavier than usual carbonation.

This is an awesome IPA. It's got great hop character and a light malt character. This is no Brown Shugga so I'm still a little disappointed, but I won't take it out on this beer. I love it!

tdm168, Jan 01, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

KingBiscuit, Jan 01, 2012

RTrain12, Jan 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

ng85, Jan 01, 2012

bjones10, Jan 01, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this first at Fathead's in Southside of Pittsburgh - had previously bought some in bottles at D's in Monroeville. Knew if it was like Brown Shugga that I would dig it the most - correct. Alcohol burn more prominent in the bottle format but excellent both ways. Maybe my favorite DIPA - 2X is excellent as well. Two thumbs up for Lagunitas...and Happy New Year

tankg, Jan 01, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Served in shaker pint.
Orangey golden color. Nice white head. Great lacing and decent retention.
Smells dry- bready/toast malt, big hop notes.
The hops hit mainly with pine and citrusy notes but there is a little melon I pick up that works well. Luscious and juicy. Dry bitter finish. Well balanced. Great flavor.

Body is medium and has good carbonation.

Overall-- this is a great beer. I hope this becomes a year round brew from Lagunitas! Just delicious.

AleWatcher, Dec 31, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +11%

Wow....I never realized that Sucks Holiday Ale could be so awesome!!! This beer is Zombie Dust on Steroids. The beer pours a golden clear copper with thin white head that is lacing quite nice. The smell is citra hops and subtle spice. The taste brings a great mixture of pine and citrus with enough malt to balance the beer which leaves a nice coating on the tongue....which Semco hops usually do nicely. The mouthfeel is a full body with good carbonation. Overall this is a fantastic beer.

WoodBrew, Dec 31, 2011

CORKSCREWFISH, Dec 31, 2011

mjtiernan, Dec 31, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer should have everthing going for it , but comes up a little short in my book.

A - Nice pour and golden color but no head whatsoever.

S - Strong citrus hop aroma, almost too strong.

T - Bitter hop taste with notes of citrus and spice.

M - hangs around well.

O - not their best but it sure doesn't suck.

NiceTaps, Dec 31, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3%

This one pours a very light golden color that is very translucent. Almost no head and low visible carbonation. It is as far away from a christmas beer as I could imagine. Great aroma of mango, pineapple, pine and floral notes. The flavor is fantastic. Huge burst of tropical fruit followed by orange and some white pepper and a bitter finish. Great level of carbonation makes this dangerously easy to drink. I really like this beer, yeah Lagunitas sucks...

PerHops, Dec 31, 2011

dcp0515, Dec 31, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a tiny touch of haze and plenty of effervescence. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam. Not bad.

Smell: huge, funky, citrusy and fruity hops with a sweet backdrop. Complex, bright, and overwhelmingly appealing.

Taste: rich and fruity malt; it almost tastes like it was fermented with a Belgian strain. The hops remain bright with a little bit of a funk to them. This beer has some of the best hopping I've ever tasted, plus a je ne sais quoi that makes me think of a saison. Great.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a big carbonation and bodacious creaminess. Fan-damn-tastic.

Overall: this is one excellent beer. An uninspired appearance is completely atoned for by being an awesome freaking beer.

flagmantho, Dec 31, 2011

guajolote, Dec 31, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

I gave this beer a little less than stellar reviews simply because it doesn't taste like a xmas beer. It is a nice IPA as these guys know so well how to brew. It is not a Holiday Ale. As far as I can tell this is their regular IPA in a different bottle. I have yet to have one of their beers that I didn't love.. however again this isn't categorized properly.. You guys might have pulled it off a bit better by adding some more color.. That said, keep up the good work!

lukester, Dec 31, 2011

Mrpickles, Dec 31, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

A: Crystal clear golden color with some amber hues. Relatively aggressive pour leads to a small one-finger pure whit head that retreats slowly leaving behind a whirlpool look of white swirling foam. Lacing is consistent and thick. It's the lack of good head that knocks down the number here.

S: Hoo boy...this was an unexpected punch in the face delivered by a fist full of hops. Piney hops hit first followed closely by grapefruit rind. Malt presence is there but definitely overpowered by the hop goodness. This brew has one hell of a nose.

T: Dee-lish. Extremely hop-forward full of zest and flavor. Grassy bits of lemon and grapefruit zest along with some mango. It's a really wonderfully flavored IIPA. Malt again takes a 7th row seating back seat to the mix of hops that come in this brew. It's there, but a total hindsight, yet it's not unbalanced, quite the opposite.

M: Crisp finish with creamy coating. Perfectly carbonated. Hop oils coat the mouth and make me pucker like the elite IIPAs on the market.

O: I swear that if this beer was brewery release only and didn't have the distribution Lagunitas does, it would be getting oodles more hype than it currently does. This is one of the best IIPAs I've had and I'm excited that they're re-releasing it as Holiday Leftovers. BRAVO Lagunitas. Bravo.

suspect, Dec 31, 2011