Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Have heard a lot about this beer, and am excited to try it. Lagunitas is already one of my favorite breweries

A - Pours a crystal clear golden straw color, with a decent 1 finger white head. Mild to moderate lacing

S - Great smell on this one. Citrus fruits, mango, pineapple. Nice and inviting.

T - Follows the nose, with a little bit of pine mixed in. Very fruit forward, with some earthy pine bite to balance it off, so I still know I am drinking beer.

M - Nice and smooth, easy drinking, alcohol is well hidden

O - Very good DIPA, very juicy, but perfectly balanced. Hope they continue making this and it does not end up as just a one-off. Definitely lives up to the hype

jman892, Dec 13, 2011

JAHMUR, Dec 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at New World Tavern Plymouth--served into a pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: starts with a combination of bread, caramel, and citrus hops, then quickly goes to piney hops which prevail through the rest of the beverage.

Taste: caramel, toffee, and slight citrus hops with slight chocolate

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with big time hops coming in the middle that create bitterness that lasts throughout, moderate carbonation, medium-light bodied

Overall: I am a fan of piney hops, so to me this is a nice slow drinker. The hops tend to be in your face as I find with most brews from Lagunitas. I enjoyed this one as a sipper and would certainly pick this up again if I had a hops fix. That said, I do not think that this is the world beater IPA that I have seen discussed. Good yes, but I have had more complex IPAs that I enjoy more.

tigg924, Dec 13, 2011

GRG1313, Dec 13, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Brown Shugga is one of my favorites from lagunitas so I expect a lot from its replacement

A: Poured into a pint glass its golden and effervescent with a beautiful head and nice lacing

S: Exactly what I want from a DIPA citrusy mangos and piny

T: Hoppy but not as over the top as some west coast IPAs with a nice malt backbone so its not overpowered by the bitterness citrus notes are great

O: A great beer not your typical winter seasonal but delicious this deserves to get a year round release! makes up for no brown shugga this year you guys don't suck Lagunitas

maximumu13, Dec 13, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at Stub & Herb's

Clear and almost sparkly amber colored with a small but creamy head. Good retention and lacing. Looks appealing.

Extremely fruity aroma, not exactly my kind, but very very good. I wished it was more dank, but damn! this is very tropical (& good)!

The taste follows the aroma --- tastes more like fruit juice than a DIPA. The malty sweetness gels very very well with the hops. The light body and the right carbonation work wonders; this is truly a great beer.

I thought it would be all hype & fanboy reactions but I was very wrong. With Little Sumpin' Wild and now this, Lagunitas is killing it.

My only complaint is the ABV. Lagunitas is a little too much of a bang for the buck at times.

tewaris, Dec 13, 2011

FievelGoesWest, Dec 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

A- I don't know if I screwed up the pour but it is a fizzy yellow with almost no head and no lace. Maybe this beer won't be all it's cracked up to be...

S- whoa, never mind! Honestly this is one of the best smelling beers I've ever smelled. So much bright citrus- lemon and grapefruit- and resiny pine. It's also very tropical, with mangos as a strong part of this aroma.

t- like the nose, this is a hoppy, citrusy, piney, tropical beer. It is an absolute punch of flavor and for it's availibility this is an elite DIPA.

O- I love Lagunitas for making this beer, for the way this beer happened, and for the name they gave it. A reflection of great attitudes and great brewing abilities.

Tschnab, Dec 13, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle.

Pours a light, clear golden orange with a fluffy white head that leaves really nice lacing.

Aroma is pungent and in a good way. Tons of juicy citrus with pineapple and grapefruit leading the way. There is some pine resin but much less than the tap version which smelled like an evergreen forest.

Taste is not quite as big on the citrus with a little less grapefruit and a little more floral hops. The finish definitely has some pine and a sticky resinous bitterness that lingers on the palate. The taste also has a bigger bready malt backbone than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is excellent, medium bodied, strong carbonation and really sticky through the finish.

This is undoubtedly one of the best things I've had from Lagunitas. I'm not sure why they're never put something like this out before as it is better than any other IPA they've produced. Excellent beer.

gford217, Dec 13, 2011

Britton, Dec 13, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -25.3%

To my surprise, I saw this being stocked at a local grocery store, so I decided to see what the hype is all about.

It looked and smelled good. I can smell the pine and the hops coming alive. The color was pretty good, with orange/amber hue to the body. What else? Let's move on.

Taste was bland for an IPA. I'm not sure how old this six-packer I got was, but I figured it must be relatively new as I didn't see this beer a week ago at the same location.

I can taste that it's an IPA, but it lacked the oomph that you expect out of a fresh IPA. I had expected the flavors to be a bit stronger. The hops is certainly there, and the malts are there as well to balance it out. Wait, did they really use malts?

Overall, it's okay, but I'm unimpressed. I don't know what to think, and whether it's an actual good sample of the beer? That remains to be seen.

2xHops, Dec 13, 2011

solargoat, Dec 13, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Kaydogg, Dec 13, 2011
4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear gold with a smaller white head. A fairly nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit, a bit of floral and pine hops as well as some sweetness as well. A tiny bit of cattiness.

T: Lots of juicy, resinous, grapefruit hops, as well as lemon and a bit of carmel maltiness as well. Bitter grapefruit hops with some alcohol in the finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Pretty average carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Very good. I wish I could of had this a bit fresher, since I think the hops might of faded a bit. Drinks fairly well, nice and smooth hop profile that doesn't have a super bitter bite.

Update on 12/16/13 (updated score). Drinking one today that was bottled on December 6th. Really good, nice tropical, fruity hop profile. Very smooth.

herman77, Dec 13, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

mdillon86, Dec 13, 2011

goldennectar, Dec 13, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

I picked this beer up at the Kirkwood Spec's a couple days ago and laughed out load when I read the label as it is a testament to the goofy TABC laws and that they had to get this new label pushed through in addition to sucking up the lack of time. I can definitely relate to the lack of time, fella's, so let's give this one a shot:

Appearance: Pours a light yellow with a mild orangish tint to it that has a small 1/4" head of active white bubbles after a pretty aggressive pour and then they faded back into the beer within 20-30 seconds. There is no lacing left after drinking, so there isn't much to set this beer apart except that it is pretty clear.

Aroma: The aroma is showcasing mostly American hops with the required citrus, but there is also a pretty defined "catty" aspect to them. There are also some buttery and toasty malts in here to round things out. The hops are running this beer, but the blend is good, so it isn't a detractor so far.

Taste: The flavor is also very hoppy, but there is definitely enough malt in here to keep the beer palatable. One thing that I like about this beer in the flavor is that there is enough going on in the water chemistry to support a beer like this. I know that there are some "stoopidly" hoppy beers to come out of California, but this is one of the ones that works the best with the water to not make it harsh in the finish The mouthfeel is medium to slightly full because there is light carbonation for what it could be. Overall the finish is balanced slightly toward the hops, but there is significant malt in there to keep things in check.

Opinion: This is a good beer, no doubt. The balance is boldly hoppy enough and yet balanced enough to make me think that this is an altered version of their very successful Hop Stoopid. I like that Lagunitas seems to have a grasp of how to make a balanced beer, and it seems that only Great Divide is one of the other breweries that showcase hops, yet can still make a palatable beer. I am not saying the typical "hop bombs" suck, but it is good to get one that has some balance in the finish. This is a good beer overall, and I would recommend it whether you like DIPA's or not as this is a well blended brew.

SkeeterHawk, Dec 13, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.9%

Source/Serving: 12 oz bottle

S: Deep, dark floral notes alongside a heap of mango and a touch of pineapple and pine. Moderate honey and brown sugar. Thick and rich hops, quite nice.

T: Slightly sweet tropical fruit mango/pineapple up front with bright floral oiliness. Middle is nicely balanced with a punch of floral/pine bitterness balanced by more mango/lemon/orange/pineapple citrus honey sweetness and tons of floral character…. I can imagine myself licking a tigerlilly, partially because the hops are so thick and pervasive. Clean and smooth though, surprisingly easy drinking. Definitely doesn't come across as a 'heavy' DIPA. Finish is loaded with that deep, dark floral note from the nose riding over a light wave of mango bitterness and golden raisin which doesn't linger long but has a hint of pepper.

4000qtrap, Dec 13, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

aleslover, Dec 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Picked this up kind of by habit, as I am not sure I've ever had a bad Lagunitas beer. Plus it's cool that they say they suck on the label, particularly since they obviously don't. The pour runs more toward golden than copper, which is a little unusual. Head lasts a few minutes before fading. Nose is a flavorful blend of crisp citrus hops with pine backing. Not overpowering but tasty.

The taste is more well balanced than most DIPAs, with mellow toasted and biscuit flavors to match the obvious hops. Lemon rind, a heavier dose of pine, some floral notes; nothing fancy but very well done for what it is. Extremely easy to drink despite sitting on the aftertaste for a while. Too bad this is a one off because this is a good beer, even for Lagunitas.

daliandragon, Dec 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

had to see what the hub bub was all about. picked up a 6'er locally.

a - popped a bottle and filled my E snifter. brew poured a transparent yellow orange with a finger full of white frothy head. the head is right out of a beer commercial, spot on with great lacing.

s - strong sitcy and sweaty hops. very nice. some citrus and orange peel, but mostly sweaty piny hops. thick and rich, smells pretty awesome.

t - much like the nose...a really strong and thick hop flavor. very rich and piny...essentially a hop bomb with some cantaloupe.

m - medium bodied...a bit lighter than i had expected. leaves a soft cooling tingle.

o - overall, WOW! this beer can hang with the best of them. if it was year-round, i could see this being THE beer that is always in my fridge. just a great example of a great classic IPA. very impressive indeed.

cosmicevan, Dec 12, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

A-pours with maybe 1/4 finger pale white head with a golden amber body that is clear

S-great. Grapefruit, hops, sugar, honey, oranges. Has a warming smell to it. Very inviting.

T-warm yumminess with perfect amount of hops. This is like an ipa and a winter warmer mixed into 1! Citrus flavors of grapefruit, oranges, subtle lemon, then spices that I can't pick out. And there is a wonderful hops flavor throughout. So good. Has a subtle warming flavor in the end that resides in the chest.

M-near perfect. Medium/heavy body with very little carbonation that goes down way too easy for 7.4abv!

O-I think the review speaks for itself. Know I'm upset I only bought a single and not a 6 pack.

HopsYeast, Dec 12, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -22.3%

Heard a buzz about this stuff, and since some of my favorites of the past year were Lagunitas beers.

A-the head was a light 2 finger head that left some lacing. Bright gold color that seemed low in carbonation.

S-muted but start to catch some resin anf pine notes. A bit of kitty litter

T-very hoppy and no sweetness just that piny flavor that plays over and over

M-oily but crisp, it just hang around, flavor-wise, for a bit too long.

O-glad I only had a 9oz. pour. I don't think I would order this again.

unclejazz, Dec 12, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

(Mind you, the first bottle cracked from the original six-pack was fresher, fruitier, more bitter, and completely phenomenal; Since then, a case was purchased. This review is from a beer from the case)

Poured from 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter

A: Bright, peachy tangerine color. Ever so slight haze almost not worth mentioning; remarkably clear. Beautiful vivid tone. Simple pour brought about a one finger head. Retention: average. Spotty lacing.

S: Mango nectar, leafy citric hops, pineapple, orange rind, sweet bread.

T: Very bitter bite. Tropical fruit, canteloupe, crackery, bit of a peppery nip on the finish. Lingering bitterness. Pretty unsuspecting. Pleasantly surprised.

M: Good present carbonation. Silky for an IPA; light for a DIPA.

This is one of the many great surprises that I have come across this year. Arguably, one of my favorite of the Lagunitas lineup.

thecheapies, Dec 12, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a clean yellow to orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, orange citrus hops. In the taste, a dry orange rind citrus, pineapple, mango and a touch of apricot. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry orange citrus rind in the aftertaste. What a nice mistake, big hops and I loved it!

OWSLEY069, Dec 12, 2011