Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,750 | Reviews: 1,412

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the Apex in PDX the other day.

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. I'm a little surprised by what I get on the nose, as I thought I recalled getting more tropical fruit then what i'm getting today. This beer smells like a hop bomb (not that I'm complaining), as I get considerable pine, lemon-lime, and some light dry citrus. On the palate, this beer is very dry and bitter, and I really feel this beer could use a bit more malt to balance all that bitterness. There's a hint of cherry and an intriguing light smoke flavor in the mid palate (I almost got something of a bean with bacon soup flavor, which completely surprised me), but it's really not nearly enough to counter and balance the avalanche of hoppy bitterness I get on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile.

A really well made beer from Lagunitas, even if a bit more tropical fruit would have been appreciated to better handle the bucketload of hoppy bitterness in this beer. Ultimately, I enjoyed the bottle I had of this beer last year as opposed to the uber fresh draft version I had at Apex.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

A - pours murky light honey, nice white head that stays for a long time, lots of cling lace.

S - very malty and very hoppy. I don't know which one is more dominant. Probably the hops, but it is close.

T - aggressive malt completely squashed by even more aggressive hops.

M - medium body, good carb , balance heavy to the hops and slightly metallic towards the finish.

D - one very tasty beer!

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a clear orange-amber with a dense soapy head that settles to a thin haze, leaving lots of soapy lacing. Lovely aromas of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and pine resin. Taste is similarly tropical, with lots of fresh hop flavors and a moderately bitter finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly sticky, with a medium body and ample carbonation. Really excellent DIPA, glad I finally got to try it (missed out all last year).

3.45/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass, showing a lightly hazed deep straw with a somewhat sticky cap of white foam. Quite light in color and leaving some sticky lace.

Aroma is all about hops with spicy floral notes and a background of fruit. Reminds me of Hop Stoopid in a way yet doesn't really have the same malt depth. Bit more earthy with some exposure and warming. Oddly I sense a minor Belgian influence here, in a supportive way. Hoppy yet not resinous at all, weird and a bit of a mystery.

Flavor is spicy with pepper/clove/tangerine coming forward. Rather subdued relative to the aroma however. Spice notes linger nicely on the finish however initially.

Feel is pleasant and spicy yet a bit brief. Touch of orange oil on the finish creates a slighty sweet note that masks the ABV well yet at the same time quells the bitterness as this beer finishes rather non IPA-like. As much as I don't care for rich crystal malted IPA's, this is the first one I've had that is a bit short on the base malt body. Another mystery is how the beer finished sweet with simple sweetness, must be pasteurized once it hits a certain gravity.

Good aroma but otherwise good but not extraordinary by any means. Cheers...

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

Served on-tap in a Shaker pint at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Dusky amber with 1/2 finger of big-bubbled off-white head with average retention and a few scraps of lacing.

S: Big dry-hop aromas of pine, resin, and tropical fruit with some grapefruit aromas. The maltiness is light and crackery overall but with a bit more caramel than I remember from the bottle.

T: The flavor is big-time hoppy with orange, lemon, grapefruit citrus and a little bit of pineapple and mango also. THe maltiness is not quite enough despite the ABV to stand up in any meaningful way to this hops assault.

M: Slick but almost a little too dry with light-medium body.

O: I enjoyed my bottles last year more than this on-tap presentation. And while this is a solid beer and rightfully highly anticipated, I was a little let down by this on-tap.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company