Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

Daveychu, Nov 30, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale

Funny story, the brewery was at capacity and could not release Brown Shugga, their normal winter seasonal. So here is this..aptly named, though I am a fan of Lagunitas.

Appearance: Perfectly clear golden color with a white collar of filmy head. Carbonation bubbles lazily rise to the top of the glass as if intoxicated.

Smell: Very herbal, resinous hops. Definitely West Coast IPA style, with tropical aromas suggesting mango, papaya and pineapple.

Taste: Bright fruity notes with the aforementioned tropical hops, once again with pineapple juice sweetness, and very small earthyness in the finish. Peach, honeydew melon, and all things moderately sweet upfront with a piney residual bitterness to round it all out. Light grassy and earthy notes. Malt is unidentifiable but certainly contributing some sweetness. A well balanced brew that really screams West Coast.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp, with a decent hop bite, and more or less clean finish.

Overall: This is delicious beer. Stands on as a great new beer from Lagunitas. Though BrownShugga is a very good ale, and one I enjoy, I'd trade it all to have this all the time. Make this a regular offering!

Stinkypuss, Nov 30, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

A: The beer actually has a basic golden color with a light white head.

S: Man the hops really hit you in the face. It has a strong sweet fruity smell, almost like pineapples.

T: Now this is the best part of the beer. It has a very nice pineapple taste and a perfecta mount of hops and malt. The malts lingers on the tongue and just are very nice. I love a beer that lingers on the palate for a long time.

M: The beer has a nice crispness and a bit of carbonation. Very pleasant indeed.

O: Lagunitas does suck... because they cant make this year round. This is one of their best beers by far and I wish I could get it all the time.

gtermi, Nov 30, 2011

Poured a 12oz bottle of this into my 20oz imperial pint glass. Quick pour yielded very little head, which disappeared almost instantaneously. Light white lacing clings nicely to the glass.
The aroma is one of the strongest, yet most pleasant smells I've ever experienced with a beer. It's entirely hops, very well balanced between grapefruit and apricot citrus and earthy pine.
Flavor followed the nose very closely. On the front, I get a load of deliciously juicy citrus hops. A subtle transition to earthy, piney hop flavor and the bitterness takes over on the back of my tongue. Not overwhelming, but leaves a nice dry clean finish. Certainly can't tell this is just under 8% abv. This is exactly the kind of IPA I've been searching for.

According to the label, "There is nothing cool about screwing up this badly and we know it" but I'd say this is pretty cool. Lagunitas, please keep this as a regular offering.

rickards9, Nov 30, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Bought a sixer at Round Rock Specs for just under 10 bucks.

Light-honey colored pour, thick foamy head that stuck around for a bit before leaving some lacing, not a lot. I was a bit surprised with how light this beer looked. Super clarity though.

Smell?...(insert stoner laugh here)...another great resiny,earthy "weed" scent, mixed with pineapple marinated in grapefruit juice. Quite lovely. One of my favorite smelling beers.

Taste follows, with an addition of sweet bready malt, leaving a great coating on the tongue and back of the throat. This bad boy stays with you. A nice crisp dry followthrough as well on the backend. No hint of booze at all. This one is amazing.

Man, Lagunitas just keeps churning out the goods. Yet another great beer from a great brewery. Probably my #1 from these guys.

obrike, Nov 30, 2011

mschofield, Nov 30, 2011

codon2004, Nov 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

This definitely did not suck - a great strong ale / ipa.

I bought a 6 pack of this beer and it went extremely quickly.

Nice golden color, good head, nice lacing.

This one hits all the right floral / citrus / grapefruit notes in both aroma and flavor. The hop flavors just blend well together - it's basically a beer that makes you forget about complexity and concentrate on enjoying a good beer with friends.

robsee, Nov 29, 2011

Lantern, Nov 29, 2011

tbone33101, Nov 29, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Lagunitas made up for this year's non-release with this one.

A: Nice deep golden hue with brilliant clarity. I was expecting something with deeper color, but this beer is pretty. White head retains nicely, and lacing is decent as well. Lots of carbonation.

S: Some toasted grains with loads of citrus, pine, and fresh herbs.

T: Much like the smell, but more balanced. Some toffee and cereal up front, followed by a swath of resinous hop flavors. Grapefruit, lemon zest, spring flowers, and pine lead to a dry, grassy finish.

Notes: Clean, refreshing, and very flavorful. Mouthfeel is moderate to medium in body, and finish lasts forever. Drinkability is impeccable. It's a style I would only expect Lagunitas to release at this time of year rather than in the warmer months. While I anticipate the return of Brown Shugga', this brew definitely fills the void.

WYVYRN527, Nov 29, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

jjheinrichs, Nov 29, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Clear, medium orange with a small light tan head that fades quickly.

S - Surprised by how hoppy-pine smelling this is. Some sweet malts also come through.

T - Sweet malts, barley, carmel with a hop pine finish.

D - Sweet and sticky in the mouth. Average body and carbonation.

O - It's no Brown Sugga, and I wasn't expecting such a hop presence, but it is a solid brew.

HuskyinPDX, Nov 29, 2011

dav, Nov 29, 2011

randylangford, Nov 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

On-tap at Bangers & Lace. Served in an imperial pint glass.

A - Big white foam that eventually settles to a thin cap, leaving tons of sticky lace behind. Transparent golden body.

S - Smell is a lovely medley of juicy oranges, tropical fruits, dank moss and pine, hint of cat pee, and lightly toasted sugars.

T - The taste is a bit understated compared to the aroma, but there's still plenty of grapefruit and piney hops present. Light sugary malt backbone, with a hefty dose of bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium body, with moderate carboantion. Perhaps a touch undersized and watery for 7.8%, but otherwise smooth with minimal alcohol presence. Plenty of resinous hop oils linger well into the finish.

D - If the taste had matched the aroma this would have been a serious contender in a very competitive genre. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit and will have to have a few more pints/bottles of this one before it disappears for the season. Much better than Brown Shugga, so I hope they keep this as their holiday seasonal.

MasterSki, Nov 29, 2011

rchristensen, Nov 28, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a "stubby" 12oz. bottle into a wine goblet.
Clear copper/gold, with a short head of white foam.
Aroma-A delightfull, heady boquet of tropical fruit and juicy citrus hops
Taste-Full-on juicy hops and tropical fruit. Brown sugar-coated pineapple and fresh piney, sticky hops assault the senses. Wonderfull. Like a "lighter" version of Brown Shugga. Delicious! Get some before it's gone! Highly recommended.

hosehead83, Nov 28, 2011

MareInfinitus, Nov 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

AlexChillton, Nov 28, 2011

cadaugherty, Nov 28, 2011

willhare, Nov 28, 2011

Pjev11, Nov 28, 2011

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a fairly clear orange-hued golden color with a large, foamy white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is a really nice blend of citric and tropical fruits and light resiny pine hops.

Very hoppy, with more tropical fruits and a pleasant grapefruit and resin finish. The malt adds just a hint of biscuit backing.

Medium body and carbonation.

Another very well done IPA from the guys at Lagunitas. I really hope it makes a return after this holiday season.

vkv822, Nov 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Nice glowing yellow amber color. Light creamy head. Some retention

Aroma is of bold bright citric hops, lemon and grapefruit. Some tropical flavors. Piney and starfruit. Grassy and resinous. Slight burnt dank aroma. This reminds me of a lightweight Pliny the Elder.

Bitter and sweet, like biting into a grapefruit. Nice fresh bready malt character.

Well-balanced and refreshing. Bright and aromatic. Very hop forward. Lagunita's does a fantastic job with hops.

I am not a huge fan of brown shuggah but I know a lot of people who like it so I won't knock it. Lagunita's would make a great decision if they offered this terrific IPA frequently. It's tasty, characteristic and drinkable.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Nov 28, 2011