1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros

mrshoes, Dec 03, 2011

pzymali, Dec 03, 2011

pjones36, Dec 03, 2011

SmokeyJoesCafe, Dec 03, 2011

drummermattie02, Dec 03, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

from a 12 oz bottle

A- pours a clear golden yellow color with a 1 finger white head that settles to a fresh white collar ,very little lacing

S- fruity tropical hops with grains,malts and bread, again a very tropical smell of hops

T- was superb, notes of citrus and pineapple with other tropical notes, pine and slightly bitter ' with a touch of rye and wheat

M- was sweet and fruity with just the right amount of hop bitters, nice finish and balance of grain and rye and wheat

O- a tasty 2ipa

gatornation, Dec 03, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Picked this up at the Fred Meyer here in Vancouver WA.
12 oz to Smuttynose Big Beer Series tulip

A: golden, translucent, very small white head

S: amarillo hops, citrus

T: lemon, grapefruit

M: hops forward, clean malt, fantastic hop finish

O: Not at all what I expected when I picked up this holiday offering from Lagunitas, but that's what I love the most about it. Hops are all throughout this brew. Well balanced for an imperial IPA with a great finish. Between this and Sierra Nevada's Celebration, it's going to be a good holiday.

BeforeNoon, Dec 03, 2011

OldIronLungs, Dec 03, 2011

ONN8, Dec 03, 2011

2dogbrew, Dec 03, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden yellow color w/ a nice one finger white head. Massive sheets of lacing left on my snifter glass. The beer is very clear, w/ good carbonation. Smell is really nice- hops, wood, floral notes, maybe some pepper. Really hoppy, well balanced, really nice nose. Not overbearing at all. Taste is good as well- hops in abundance, w/ some malt in the background. Some floral, pepper, and spice in there as well. But let's not kid ourselves... the hops are in charge here. After half a bottle, they've had their way with me.... in a good way. None of the 7.85% alcohol is evident at all- very well hidden. Feel is medium, with nice carbonation. Killer hops bite on the aftertaste. The hops coat your throat like a throat lozenge. Overall, this beer really surprised me. I really enjoyed it. Cheers!

jayhawk73, Dec 03, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

First off I just have to say what a surprise this was as soon as I opened it and took a whiff. WOW. Not your normal predictable Lagunitas brew profiling the beers spice character. And, not a Holiday beer by any means. If you are looking for that slightly spicey and sweet Xmas beer go elsewhere. This is a hop lovers kind of holiday brew!

Appearance: Gold and Yellow....bit of orange in there.

Smell: Citrus hops.. I couldn't help but smell Hop Slam in there. Really.

Taste: Great hop profile. Nice balance of malt and hop bite. Not too sweet though. Retains a tiny bit of dry finish. For a one off beer this has a great west coast IPA flavor

Mouthfeel: Def a dIPA on my tounge. Nice and sticky!

Overall: Easily my favorite brew Lagunitas has ever released. I'm just hoping they keep this one around for years to come!

phishtube, Dec 02, 2011

cmrillo, Dec 02, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

The Brown Shugga replacement. What a contrast—I was expecting a ‘holiday ale,’ or something in a similar vein to Brown Shugga (big, malty, hoppy, spicy, perhaps?) and instead this deliciously drinkable surprise of a brew. What a contrast. What a treat.

This appears to be a pale golden straw color. It has a big hop aroma, as should be expected of anything from Lagunitas, reminiscent of grapefruit zest and other citrus. Tasting it gives the impression that it’s lightly hopped but full of flavor—a floral, fruity hop bill with just a touch of pine that makes it a delight to drink. I hope that this joins the regular line-up, or at least comes around to visit again next year.

elNopalero, Dec 02, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden yellow. Enough carbonation.

S: Dank, wet hops. Could pass for a fresh/wet hop beer, no doubt. Earthy, with the citrus and pine more in the back than the front.

T: Fresh hops, well balanced. Full flavors here, nothing subdued. Pine and citrus play off each other, but more earthy than anything.

M: Somewhat stickly sweet, resinous. I'd prefer it a bit crisper and drier to complement the resin, but it's a minor quibble.

O: Although I didn't go on and on with superlatives above, this may be the best Lagunitas beer I've had. Holiday ale, shmolliday ale, this is an IPA, and a really good one.
One vote here for making this beer for every holiday throughout the year.

caskstrength, Dec 02, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

cfinch2, Dec 02, 2011

speakorspasm, Dec 02, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

An extremely clear golden brew with a half inch of quickly falling head; creamy lacing remains. I can read this review straight through the glass.

Aroma packed with citrusy hops; lots of grapefruit and lemon; faintly sweet and malty underneath. Can't wait to take a sip!

Oh yeah...a lovely west coast IPA. Tons of citrusy flavor; again full of grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, mango. Moderately bitter but not over-the-top; sweet maltiness underneath keeps things balanced (in a hop head kind of way). Faint oniony, almost salty aspect buried underneath, giving it a bit of zip without getting unpleasant.

Medium body and carbonation with a nicely creamy mouthfeel. Long and lingering aftertaste in which the bitterness comes to the fore. Maybe I haven't had a really fresh, quality IPA - which is clearly what this is - in a while, but this really hit the spot. In retrospect this is approaching hopbomb territory...it won't seem balanced if you don't like big, hoppy IPA's as a rule, but if you do, there's a nice undertone of sweetness and faint spiciness that offsets the IBU's just a smidge.

tobelerone, Dec 02, 2011

Krumb, Dec 02, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium gold color with a 1/2 inch head that stays a bit and then deteriorates to an 1/8 inch ring with sporadic surface bubble formation. The lacing displays a cascading effect

S- Fresh, wet hop aromas please the nose and provide wonderful tropical fruit aromas such as pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Lots of sweet, grassy notes too. To die for.

T- All of the previously mentioned aromas are translated to the palate quite well. Also tastes piney, bitter and just a bit boozy. Fruity esters are apparent and welcome. Warms after multiples sips. Still don't get the "Brown Shugga' Substitute" on the label though since this doesn't remind me of the Shug at all.

M- Medium-high carbonation is the perfect base for a beer this invigorating.

O- Yes sir! Probably the best "Holiday" ale I've had so far up against the similarly hop forward Celebration and Santa's Private Reserve.

Update: I love the fine print on Lagunitas's bottles. They're blunt and crude with their statements but don't come off snobby like Stone's sayings sometimes do. I realize now why it's called "Brown Shuggah Substitute." It says: "This sad holiday season we didn't have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga' ale. We're just out of capacity. There is nothing cool about screwing up this badly and we know it." I personally think the Sucks Holiday Ale is even better than Brown Shugga'. Go figure.

Immortale25, Dec 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottled Mid-November, 2011

A: honey golden ale with a finger of white foam over crystal clear ale. A sheet of white resides and leaves soapy residue.
S: Grapefruit, lemons, pine, resin, bubble gum, so many yummy hops. This is so far, excellent.
T: Sweet with lemons, grapefruit, juicy fruit.
M: A bit thin with hi carb and fairly dry.
O: Really a good beer. Gonna have more of this.

harrymel, Dec 02, 2011