Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,543 | Ratings: 9,979
4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a lightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some orange and amber highlights as well as significant amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a three finger tall foamy head that slowly reduces to a finger tall dense foamy head covering the entire surface of the beer evenly. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Significant aromas of hops - tropical/pineapple, citrus/ruby red grapefruit, and floral/orange blossom. Very light amounts of caramel malts and some artificial sweetener sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light amount of caramel malt sweetness but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hops - first there are huge amounts of tropical/pineapple, followed by a slightly lesser amount of citrus/ruby red grapefruit, and just a touch of floral/orange blossom. Light to moderate amounts fo bitterness which fade away after a short amount of time.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly sticky with a light amount of dryness in the finish (which lingers on).

O: This beer is actually quite easy to drink as the mouthfeel is quite nice and the alcohol is well hidden - there are also beautiful aromas and taste of the hops. The hops are really highlighted with this brew and I'm very excited to finally have found it and gotten the chance to try it (I missed it last year because I was travelling).

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Sucks was quite a departure from what I've been used to with Lagunitas. I'd venture to say they are famous for their heavy hopped brew. However, this one was, well....different.

For a second the beer had that hoppy flavor to go with the typical fruity/floral nose. However, the hoppy flavor died down quickly and basically disappeared. I didn't get any aftertaste. I can only describe it as if the ground suddenly fell away from you and you were floating.

Yeah, it was great. The hops without the hops! Odd.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A lovely dIPA from the knee-tas.

Pours a light color golden, nice foamy white head. Would like to see more rock and lacing for higher score, but still looks really good

Aroma is hops. Mango, white pepper, green grass, grapefruit (mostly), persimmon. Some pine
Booze in the back end

Malt didn't come through in the nose, and it struggles in the taste. But it is there. Light biscuit and sweet bread. They take a pounding though from the hops. While just shy of resiny, the hops dominate. Still, they seem light. The brightness of the grapefruit and mango lift up the more earthy flavors just a bit. They hit right of the bat and power throughout the gulp.

Nice bite on the end. A touch of booze, but otherwise very drinkable.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As I waited for the Bell's Hopslam to be delivered, I saw an earlier delivery of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Sub Ale) sitting there. I thought, " Well, I'm here for two 6's of Hopslam maybe I'll try this."
Wow! Good find at a good price. The case listed it as limited release. I am sorry I only grabbed one.

The aroma of this beer is luscious grapefruit and pine. Everything I love in hops!
Color was golden with a white head.
Again, the aroma was intoxicating of grapefruit and pine.
The taste was right in line (no surprise, our taste comes mostly from smell) with the aroma. Grapefruit-piney goodness! Dry, yet quenching! Loved this beer!!
Hope to get ahold of some more. I will definately buy at least a six pack if I do. It's that good.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

EDIT (03/22/13): After having this recently even fresher than the last time, I'm jacking up the score on taste. This is delicious, and is officially my new favorite year-round IPA that is only available in 6-packs.

Okay, I admit that, as of this writing, I haven't had the chance to indulge in their Brown Sugga' ale... So I'm not using this as a substitute for anything other than the last novel beer I've had. But is this a novel beer? No, but it's definitely one of the strangest I've ever had. Read on! Poured into a snifter from a 12oz bottle.

Pours an initially yellow-golden color, much to my surprise, that quickly turns amber-orange by the time I've poured half of the bottle in. The head is generous (about 1 finger) and amazingly doesn't seem to die down completely throughout consumption. Lots of bubbles whiz around, and the color is slightly cloudy, but by no means is it unfiltered. This looks far more like a saison/farmhouse ale than a DIPA, but it's still really fascinating.

The smell, at first at least, is a pure bouquet of hop cones like nothing else! And I don't mean "grapefruit" or "citrus" aromas here... As a new brewer myself who's just finished a homebrew IPA, this smells pretty much like the fresh batch of hops that is first siphoned directly out of the batch, except with far more strength and aggressive freshness. I couldn't find any other notes at first, but as it warmed up, the citrus aromas were initially obvious, but the tropical flavors (especially mango and papaya) were quite surprising. The beer seems to be mutating from a dry-hopped Belgian strong ale to a West Coast IPA here...

The flavor consists of a hop explosion at first, but in quickly takes the most malty, dry turn I've ever seen a beer this hoppy take. The hops pretty much vanish as soon as the malts take place, leaving behind a massive orange peel finish - and later on, a mango and passion fruit ending. At first, for whatever reason, I was tasting corn notes that were driving me up the wall... But with patience and commitment the tropical notes and citrus blend, as well as spices resembling coriander and rosemary came out in full bloom. This is not to say that there wasn't a question mark above my head the whole time. This is especially true for the finish, which as a wet yeasty feel combined with dryness... As well as a malt flatness combined with earth-dug hop zest. I love it, but it's screwing with my head like nothing else.

My God! What is this concoction? It's remarkable as hell, but it pretty much defies categorization. Everything starts in one way and ends with another with this beer... And for that reason alone is an incredible recipe. Not sure how often I'd take another again, but it is relatively easy for me to drink (save for the malt dry finish), so I will take another if offered. Yet, ever since having it, I have been craving to return to the store and analyze everything about this beer. Call me nuts, but it simply is the least "sucky" beer possible. No clue what it is, but it's good. Yes, good. Let's keep it at that!

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle purchased late March, poured vigorously into a Bell's tulip. Based on today's consumption and that of multiple six packs. Surprised I never reviewed this beer despite drinking half a case of it, mainly fresh.

Aroma: By far the best part of this beer. Did a blind tasting of this vs NG IIPA and this definitely smelled better. Lots of sweet sticky honey, toffee and biscuity maltiness. Big bouquet of floral and citrus hops. You're not going to miss smelling this nose when you have this beer. (5)

Colour: Perfectly clear, copper orange body that pours with a big 3cm white head when poured vigorously. It looks great. The collar is substantial but not the biggest I've seen. Tons of lacing on the opposite side of the glass I'm drinking from. Generally a very appealing looking beer and I'm not sure how that could be improved upon. (5)

Flavour: Big floral hop punch up front, some sweet bready maltiness in the middle, punctuated by floral and citrus hop bitterness. Really good standing on its own. Not gonna lie, when I drank this in a blind tasting aside a NG IIPA, this beer tasted like water after I drank some of what turned out to be the NG IIPA. It's entirely possible that its not fair to evaluate this beer next to an hoppier, probably fresher DIPA. But on its own, this definitely stands as a flavourful, delightfully hoppy beer. (4)

Mouthfeel: Nice! Medium-bodied on the thicker side. Resinous beer that coats the heck out of my tongue with the good carbonation making my tongue tingle with the bitter aftertaste. It runs a bit dry, which doesn't really quaff my thirst but makes me want to drink more. The problem is that its a 7.85% ABV brew and there are times when I don't really want to drink more. Nicely done. (4)

Overall: Great beer, great value for what amounts to a DIPA (I don't care what anyone says) at $9/6pk. On its own, it stands up to most of the other excellent DIPAs I've had, but it doesn't quite supplant them. It smells great, looks great and that goes a long way towards making this an enjoyable beer to drink. I'd probably take this over stuff like Hopslam and Double Crooked Tree, but maybe not over something such as Pliny the Elder. (4)

4.76/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my tulip from a 12 oz. bottle

A- Pours a great deep straw color to gold with a great white 2 inch head. The lacing is amazing as I drink this beer. Good carbonation for the style.

S- The best part about this beer. Hops just hit you in the face. I will admit that the smell really fades as the freshness goes down, but when you pour this beer fresh it is so GOOD!! Pine, hops, fresh, citrus, pure goodness.

T- Hops, grapefruit,bitter, sweet, awesomeness. Makes me smack my lips, which is a great thing.

M- Just rediculously smooth. Love it. Nice medium body for the style, but light. Not harsh. Has a great bitter taste that ends to an almost sweet aftertaste, which is weird for me with most DIPAs. Well balanced.

O -This is a beer that I just say, "man I just really like drinking this stuff." Sometimes hard to explain why, but Lagunitas just gets it with this beer. Great transition between bitter, sweet, balance, smell, everything. One of my favorite DIPAS.

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

12oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99/ 6-pack. Just released but no dicernable bottling date. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours clear faded orange with a quarter finger pale head that leaves sheets of lace.

The nose is brimming with hops aromas- pine, tropical fruits, and grass with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty close to what the nose indicates but the hops are even sharper. Grapefruit, pine, lemon zest, fresh cut wet grass, white peppercorns, biscuit and mildly sour grapes (but not in a bad way).

Oily, coating medium feel with pronounced carbonation. Long dry piney citrus finish.

While it may not be the best IPA I've had, it's certainly good enough that I'll be picking up more when I see it. An assertive tasty hop treat that deserves more of my time.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

A-Pours a hazy orange and forms s solid 1.5 finger head that fades quickly.

S-Grapefruits. Literally, it smells like someone cut a grapefruit and put it right under my nose. If I was blind folded I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference.

T-Hop forward, Like the nose it is dominated by grapefruit flavors with other citrus fruits mixed in. Also picking up floral and pine hops as well. A slight maltiness creeps in before the hops come back around.

M-Light body, high carbonation.

O-It's actually not a very well balanced IPA IMO (not a lot of malt flavors), but oddly enough I still love this IPA because I think the hop profile is SPOT on.

3.61/5  rDev -16.4%

a: clear amber body. four fingers worth of thick clumpy head stay for a bit. after about five minutes i'm left with a frothy cap made up of big and small bubbles with some chunky lacing left behind.

s: i can smell spruce tips from across the room as this one sits for a minute. as soon as there is room for my nose in the glass i take my opportunity to see what else there is, and nothing, just pine.

t: big on the pine with a soapy flavor as well, nothing else.

m: seems thin thru out and a tad watery on the finish. bone dry finish as well with moderate bitterness.

o: not too impressed. won't give up on or bad mouth lagunitas, this just isn't my cup of tea.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to a pint glass...obviously.

A - a carbonated orange with some haze present; the bubbles don't stop bubbling from the bottom; nice half-inch head of white foam; lacing is present...and should be taken seriously

S - really grapefruity; generally, one extremely hoppy note after another; floral and resiny; as someone else noted, it smells a lot like Gubna...although seemingly not as sweet

T - citrus as all get-out; grapefruit, orange, passion fruit; bitter hops; soapy floral; piney; also, grapefruit my man

M - this beer is extremely smooth and well-balanced; medium bodied and at the lower end of that; nice malty backbone that presents as dry; solid carbonation

O - this is really one of the best beers Lagunitas has made that I've had the pleasure of trying; it's an extremely well-done DIPA with balance, flavor, and the perfect amount of booziness; for your value, a beer doesn't get much better than this

3.67/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. single purchase from MSCM. All 12 oz. in a FFF Rastal on December 27th, 2012.

A - Super clear, golden coloring. 2 fingers of an eggshell head. Plentiful lacing. Slight alcohol legs.

S - Tropical. Tangerines, Mango, and pineapples. Very nearly a hint of guava. Light sugar, honeycomb.

T - The hops play second fiddle throughout the drink. Light pine underneath a layer of that tropical citrus. Touch of bread.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, semi-dry finish. Some alcohol warming.

D - It's not what I expected given the brewery. It is very drinkable and balanced, with little palate fatigue. Easy recommendation, although I'm a year late to this party.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hop Tulip pint glass. Bottle date of 352 equates to December 17, 2012. Consumed January 6, 2013.

A: Slightly hazy orange. Light carbonation bubbles. Half inch off-white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Fantastic, strong hop aroma. Mostly Lagunitas usual grapefruit. Some pine/resin. Smells like heaven.

T: Potent taste follows the aroma, down half a notch. Grapefruit up front. Some hop bitterness. Not sweet but enough malt to make it pretty well balanced.

M: Medium body. Not heavy at all. Like most Lagunitas brews I get a “sticky” feeling. Slight biting aftertaste which detracts only slightly.

O: Great beer in that range between regular American IPAs and the stronger DIPAs. Definite characteristics consistent with other Laguntias beers (good in my book).

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA perfect pint.

I've always heard a lot of buzz about this but didn't actually know anything about other than it was supposed to be good. So in essence walked out of the store with absolutely no idea what I had bought. Thought it was a bit light when I started to pour and was a bit disappointed as I wasn't in the mood for something subtle. First wiff immediately alleviated my disappointment. Tons of hop character in the nose, predominately citrus tones with some tropical fruits. Taste is what a hop bomb should always be, tons of hop flavor and bitterness but not overdone. Citrusy hops are front and center again with a buttery malt sweetness holding it all together. Mouthfeel is about what you would expect for the style and the alcohol is well hidden. Always happy to try a beer that actually lives p to then hype.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%

Type: Draft
Glass: Mason jar
From: Ciro’s Pizza in Pacific Beach (San Diego, Calif.), on Jan. 4, 2013
Price: $6.50
Misc.: As part of Lagunitas Tap Takeover Night at Ciro’s Pizza on Jan. 4, 2012; Got to keep the Lagunitas mason jar

Poured a golden orange color with one finger of white head when I got it. Good circular lacing on the sides all the way down. Average-to-above average retention on the top.

Holy bitter hops on the nose! Got healthy doses of pine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon) and floral hops. Also some resin. Very flavorful, definitely the best part of the beer.

Tasted bitter grapefruit hops right from the beginning, but not too lingering. Sweet floral taste as well. Also orange pulp. Reminded me a lot of the Daytime IPA.

Light body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Bitter finish.

I really, really liked this beer. Nice and smooth and would love to have it again. Well done Lagunitas.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

The only thing this brew is lacking is a bit of clarity.. Brew is nice tan orange color with thick, large, white, foamy head.

Super interesting and unique. Super pine, resinous, sticky, marijuana, stinky, nice aroma. Much like Gubna, but more well rounded.

Nice, smooth, sweet, no bitterness, piney, sticky, perfect medium-high carbonation, refreshing, crisp, buttery, well done.

Well worth the anticipation and hype. Glad I grabbed two six-packs of sucks at the LQ. Highly recommended, especially @ $2.50/12oz.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

Finally hit the shelves. No clear bottled on or enjoy by date, but these should be pretty fresh. Not really sure what to think going in to this beer, although it got pretty high user scores I'm a bit skeptical of a dipa at 63 ibus, almost 8% abv though. Anyway, 12oz bottle to a snifter

Pours a clear gold with a little over a finger of foam. Mild carbonation stemming from the middle of the glass, alright retention and good lacing.

Was able to smell the hops as soon as I broke the seal of the cap. Now this is a good smelling ipa. Dank acrid hops really stand out and outshine, smells close to how a triple ipa would. Heavy grape fruit and citrus, pine needles and some tropical fruit. Modest malt comes though with a hint of alcohol. This is a very impressive smelling beer

Taste comes through pretty strong with bitter hops followed by grapefruits and other citrus, finishing with a subtle sweet malt. Alcohol is nearly undetectable, and everything comes together nicely. Taste wasn't quite as strong as the aroma had me hoping, but this is a definite hop bomb.

Feel is medium bodied with a dry finish. Stronger bitterness than I was expecting given the ibus leave a nice burning tingle on the tongue. Very sticky and smooth with a small amount of heat, pretty drinkable but not something you want to drink a whole lot of in a single session

Overall I was really surprised at how much I liked this. Very rich and balanced and easily clearing the bar of a world class double ipa. Really hard to believe this is only $9 a six pack, will definitely be stocking up on this on my next trip to total wine

4.58/5  rDev +6%

looks above average. Very golden in color, not orange or amber to be found. Nice lacing and legs though. Looks nice.

Smells like Lagunitas, that nice house profile. Smells just like their IPA and their SUMPIN SUMPIN as well. It's that perfect balance between pine needle and citrus.

Incredibly smooth, just as a I remember. This is one of those beers where, one time it tastes very PINY and the next day it tastes very citrusy. It's just very balanced. A touch of rye bitterness on the back end, but it somehow compliments the beer very well. It lingers nicely!

I think I liked this one better last year, but I did get a whole case. Let's see how my taste buds react next time.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Fresh bottles. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

I remember this brew fondly from last year, and I'm surprised I didn't review it then.

Pours a crystal clear yellow- surprising look for a DIPA. No haze whatsoever. Thin white regenerating head.

Big melon aroma, right at the crack of the top. A little bit of earthiness as well. Potent aroma, with no booze detected.

The flavor is huge, and very much Lagunitas's style. Big flavor, sizable ABV, but very little noticeable booze in the flavor. But otherwise, this beer is big and bitter. Lots of melon and grassyness, consistent with the aroma. Just a touch of sweetness at the back end, but this is a dry, unbalanced bitter hop bomb on the whole.

Nice, chewy mouthfeel. For how meek the beer looks, the flavor and mouthfeel are impressive.

Just a fantastic brew. It's not quite big or complex enough to justify the DIPA style, but a wonderful beer nonetheless. Not necessarily sessionable at this ABV, but I could kill a six pack in a couple hours with buddies. God, I hope they make this year-round.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

2012 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours an orangey/pineapple juicy color. Hardly see through it, even though its light in color. Fluffy white head, with very nice lacing. Its a unique looking beer.

S: Holy shit, dank citrusy pine smell. Most citrus smelling beer I have come across. Touch of lemon zest in there as well. Really shines onthe aroma.

T: MMmmm. Zesty pine, citrus taste coming in strong. Strong bitter finish. Biscuty bread feel as well. Almost can snap this one.

M: Resin sticky dry finish. Medium bodied and perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Lagunitas nailed it. While I don't really love their standard IPA, Maximus and Sucks stand out to me. They shine on the shelf full of IPAs. Do yourself a favor and try this beer, it's excellent.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours an orange marmalade, tangerine color. Lots of fluffy white head. It recedes to leave nice lacing.

Tangerine and citrus notes. Slight pine. Not much malt on the nose. I have always liked Lagunits IPAs. Great smelling.

Tastes like a great IPA. Orange, citrus, a little dank pine. In the sweet spot for IIPA. Not too much malt. Not too syrupy.

Nice mouthfeel. To me finished fairly dry. quite a bit of carbonation.

Great example for the style. Lagunitas sure does IPAs well. Kinda scary how easy this drinks for nearly 8 percent. Could drink quite a few with very little effort.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

lagunitas sucks pours a really nice polished gold color. it has a small amount of white head, with a nice looking lace. the smell is heavy with grapefruit and piney citrus, i almost think if you didnt know you were smelling beer you would think this was grapefruit juice. this beer is really hoppy and piney, very bitter. this flavor encompasses your whole mouth. the right amount of carbonation makes this not hard to drink if you can handle a solid ipa like this. honestly this is one of the best ipa's that i think ive ever had.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Three to four fingers of generous head. The beer is a milky-clear gold.

S: Piney-fresh bitterness. It reminds me most powerfully of Russian River's Happy Hops, which is only a good thing. Touch of lemon zest.

T/M: Very nice! Rich, spicy, and full-bodied. Almost chewy, with excellent malt-hop balance. A hefty dose of the latter drives the IBU up, while still providing excellent fruity, citrusy, slightly herbal flavors. The endtaste is refreshingly not very dry and the aftertaste is lingeringly earthy hops.

O: A very nice IPA. I would have another or three, and recommend it to others. The aftertaste is a bit...off, but everything else is quite nice.

January 2014 edit. After hoarding these last season, and trying it again this year, I'm forced to up my Overall score from 4 to 4.5. Great beer.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%

We thought that Laguintas Sucks would be the perfect brew to review on this fine holiday. The beer pours a hazy, golden color with peachy highlights. A big fluffy white head provides a good amount of sticky lacing. Piney hops, citrus, honey, and caramel blend together to create a solid IIPA nose. Sweet caramel quickly fades into an incredible balance that is rounded out by a citrus hop bitterness in the finish. Crisp and smooth, the brew is medium in both body and carbonation. Don't let the name fool you, this one definitely does not suck.

Cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Into 10oz snifter at Wild Colonial.

Great clarity, stunning in the glass. Active head spills over, snow white.

Nose is potent dank tank super hops. Smells like a big ol' bag of kind.

Taste matches. Super hop snap. Like diesel fuel, kerosene. Wowza. Little malt- this is total hop resin.

This is like the opposite of Lagunitas- while Maximus is syrupy this one is bone dry. Can't tell which one I like more.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company