Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,485 | Hads: 9,548
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a nasty-looking dark piss color. The head is a two finger spoiled milk shade that looks like cottage fuckin' cheese. Why is there so much ugly-ass lacing left on my glass?

S: This is full of gross melon, gross papaya, gross herbal pine, gross mango, and...well, it's just gross. Smells like an awesome-- ERR I mean wet ass.

T: Yikes, and just when I thought it couldn't get any nastier, it does! The opening is nothing but mellow-- I mean nasty tropical fruits. Bah, who really likes tropical fruits? It tastes like a damn rainforest! It finishes with a soft, malty sweetness, which totally sucks 'n' stuff, too. And ewww, is that onion on the aftertaste? Who wants onion in their beer? NOT ME, GOOD SIR!

M: Light, delicate, subtle, and crisp - and it sucks. Yeah, it fuckin' sucks. I've never stated my preference toward light and delicate DIPAs before in my life, you're all nuts! /angryface I mean, sure, it's drinkable, but that's only because I want to get rid of it so quickly! Aw crap, I'm not near a drain...I guess I'll just pour it into my mouth more. Because it fuckin' sucks so much.

O: Yuck! Lagunitas Sucks indeed. It's so bad I'm discouraging everyone out there of buying it...so I can snatch the remainder up for-- I mean, cuz it's gross an' shit. Yeah, that's it. This is most definitely not a fantastic DIPA that I wish I could drink a case of, no, you guys are all reading into things WAY too much. Like I said, this sucks I WANT MORE I WANT MORE NOW!

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden Straw color

S: Very nice floral hop aroma. Maybe the best part of this beer

T: Great citrus flavors with a good malt balance. Not very bitter but still delicious. Can't detect the alcohol at all

M: Smooth and slightly on the heavy side

Overall: A great DIPA. The aroma and flavors are near perfect. It's not as bitter as some DIPAs I've had but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Well balanced

3.76/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured a clear, glowing yellowish-orange colo wih a nice white cap which resedes after a moment leaving some lacing and bubbles

S: The nose is melons, apricot, mango, flowers and a pine needle

T: Immediate fresh melon presence with a following of apricot, mango and then a floral hop finish. I really dont get any pine on the taste. A little sweet biscuity malt backing and tad bit of soapiness on the finish. It tastes a little perfumey as well.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated, lingering hops and sweetness

O: Not to shabby but damn fellas, its not that damn good.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden straw color. One finger of head. Faint lacing. Looks great.

S- The smell is excellent. An intoxicating mixture of hops, grapefruit and pine.

T - Very similar as smell. Wonderful hop taste, very light malt, with citrus notes. Nice bite that you would hope for, but doesn't leave a lingering bitterness. Quite smooth.

M - Very light and drinkable. Doesn't feel too heavy.

O - I love this beer. It is very well balanced and easy to drink, but keeps you interested. I recommend it anyone who hasn't tried it. Well done Lagunitas.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

5 words to describe it: Grapefruit, Brulee, Tropical, Pine, Hops

Paired it with: Teriyaki Tofu with Broccoli

Should have paired it with: It was DELICIOUS with teriyaki sauce; would also be great with barbeque (I’d suggest pulled pork), or one of those ridiculous burgers with like foie gras and blue cheese, because the hops and the booze cut fat well, but the sweetness would compliment those rich flavors.

Drink it if you like: Any of Lagunitas’ other IPA/DIPAs (Maximus or even their standard IPA), American Pale Ale, or even if you love Tripels and you’re looking for a change of pace

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a weizen glass.

A- Pours a translucent golden amber bodied with way too much head because of the unnecessarily chilled glass from the bar. I guess I can't really judge this part fairly because of that.

S- Smells awesome. There's a distinct sweetness that envelopes everything you'd expect from a DIPA and more: pine, citrus.

T- The first thing I notice is the lack of bitterness. This is not meant to be construed as a bad thing, as it works to the beer's benefit. Slightly sweet, and just like the nose, presents pine, citrus, and definitely some sort of melon flavor. This kicks ass.

M- The feel of this brew is spot on. A true medium body that is perfectly carbonated and goes down smooth.

O- I saw this at the bar and decided to give it a go since I heard it was good. Don't pass up the opportunity! I hope to get my hands on a sixer of this stuff in the near future if I can find it. Overall, a very well-rounded beer that you will not be disappointed in.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Shorty brown bottle. Standard Lagunitas.
A: golden straw. Clearing. Foamy head with recent retention. Pretty.

S: piney. Overall floral, less fruity, more resin. Slightly sweet/molasses flavor

T: initial hop bite followed by sweet undertones. Tobacco, typical(stellar) Lagunitas backbone of malt. Just enough, but good fraction.

Mouthfeel: smooth with a little stickiness. Solid. It sticks with you.

O: as a replacement for the shugga, it doesn't compare
But it isn't supposed to. Different beer. Different characteristics. Great beer to start or finish the night with. Clean, fresh, and gooey

4.71/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful clear orange copper color with a thick two finger off-white head.

Smells delicious... big piney scent, very strong pineapple, grapefruit, and sweet honeydew melon. This is what a great IPA smells like.. period!!

The taste is phenomenal... a big hop bitterness that is immediately complimented with a light sweetness from the malts. This is such a smooth, perfectly balanced IPA.... I can see why this gets such high marks.

I really hope this becomes a year-round offering as it will be in my fridge nonstop!!

If you have never tried this and are a fan of IPA's... go get some!!!

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from Premier Gourmet, 12oz into a tulip.

Clear golden orange, with a few fingers of looser white head. Great retention and lacing. Nose is knee buckling - insane tropical and melon character, slight pine and a beautiful sweet malt base. Slight floral character as well. More tropical fruit on the palate, melon skins, peach and a slight bitterness. Finish is mostly sweet. Low carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. I would drink this by the case.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Nice clear copper with 1 finger head poured into a pint glass.

S: Great aroma. Lots of super amount of pine and citrus. This is the best part of the beer.

T: Not as bitter as I would like for IIPA. But def very smooth. I wish this had as much taste as it does smell. More of an tangerine/melon/lime with a little bit of resinous taste on the backend.

M: Nice feel on the tongue with a good amount of body. Well carbonated.

O: This seems more like an IPA to me than a double. Could have used more hop bitterness up front. I do like the backend a lot. Still a very solid beer. I see how lots of people could enjoy this beer because its mod bitterness and smooth easily drinkability.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Got the last 6 pack of this available at Ray's Stateline in Pelham NH.

A ~ Good golden color with a half finger head that slowly dissipates but retains a decent lacing around the glass.

S ~ Great smell, grapefruit, some hops, maybe a little pine in there as well.

T ~ Tastes similar to the smell, grapefruit and maybe some other citrus fruit up front and a strong hoppy finish. Pretty good taste but it tastes a little strong for the 7.85 ABV, not as well balanced as other IPA's with an ABV over 9.

M ~ Well carbonated, full bodied, no complaints in this department.

O ~ I would buy this again, its got a good hop backbone in there and some fruitiness as well. also I think I only spent 11 or 12 on a 6 pack, which isn't bad at all for an Imperial IPA.

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On an adventurous whim I purchased some Sam Adams IPL at my local package store. The next day I went back to exchange the 5 that I hadn't drunk because it was that bad. Luckily the owner of the store is great and offered me some Lagunitas SUCKS for my trouble.

I was not disappointed with this one. I am a sucker for highly carbonated and grapefruit hoppy goodness. This one succeeded on both counts. As other reviewers have said, it would be difficult to get past one or two of these in a sitting. But in my opinion that is one high quality sit that you'll be having. Strong enough for a cold winter night, but would be equally as enjoyable grill side. Can't wait for the next 6pack.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like Brown Shugga so this better be good. Here goes....

A: Poured a beautiful 2 finger white head that slowly settled to a thick crown adorning the edges of the glass. Beer is a hazy golden, orange copper color. The frothy head lends itself to copious amounts of lacing. Up and down the glass she goes. Retention is stand-out. Appearance nears perfection.

S: What...what's that smell? I'm just poured it but I'm all the way across the room. Did my wife buy some hop resin glade plug-ins? No..hmm...wait...it's the BEER! Super piney with powdered sugar, honeydew, and citrus.

T: The hop resin is interwoven through the tapestry of other flavors. You won't forget this is a DIPA. Let's go for a ride. Body is comprised of cracker malt, dry biscuit, rock candy, honeydew, and HOPS. The tail end is an explosion of pure tangerine and honeysuckle.

M: Slightly sticky without being overbearing. Bubbly carbonation. I would have liked to see a little more body in the way it envelops in the mouth.

O: I tried to fault this beer, I really did. But I can't. Look out boys and girls, there's a new sheriff in town. In hindsight, I think this year's batch was exceptional compared to previous years.

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

copper color, citrus notes with aroma, lots of pine with taste, good level of hops up front. Lingering bitterness and pine aftertones. Very drinkable and I hope this one will be available year round as per recent rumors. this will go down as one of my favorite ipas that is readily accessible to me. AT least thus far...

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas sucks pours a bright gold with a decent white head. The aroma is herbal, tropical and citrusy hops with no hint of bitterness. Citrus and tropical hops dominate the flavor as well, but there is tons of pale malt sweetness. The bitterness is surprisingly light probably partially due to the sweetness. Overall the hop flavor is hard to beat, and the sweetness and lack of bitterness make it extremely drinkable.

4.76/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours clear copper with a three finger, slightly off-white head. Left small amounts of lacing.

S - A huge, and absolutely perfect amount of pine, followed by tangerine and grapefruit.

T - Tangerines and a heavy amount of pine up front, followed by loads and loads, and fucking loads of pine resin. This thing tastes like a This One Goes to Eleven. And it's inbelieveably smooth. The balance is also so beautiful that I might cry.

M - Medium creamy body with light to medium carbonation.

O - This beer is too damn easy for 7.85%. It's delicious in every way, But it is not a Maxiumus.

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bottle (which appears shorter than pictured here) into a Delirium tulip at low altitude in NY.

A: Pours a translucent, relatively dark gold color with a creamy one- to two-finger milk white head of good retention. Carbonation bubbles float slowly around the glass. A good deal of lacing here as well.

S: Tropical fruit hops are front and center here -- passion fruit comes to mind for me. There's a bit of resinous pine in the background as well. Juicy.

T: Delicious tropical fruit hops come through up front, followed by a more piney finish. There's not too much malt body to balance here -- you'll taste each of the 63.21 IBUs. In my opinion, this beer lacks the balance that sets the best DIPAs apart.

M: Medium- to full-bodied with a relatively viscous mouthfeel that fits the flavors. Well-carbonated.

O: This beer is definitely worth trying, especially if you're not averse to bitterness. Enjoyable overall, but not as balanced as it could be. Would be difficult to drink more than one bottle of this in a session.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P: Orange copper body with a bubbly thin top of off white clouds.

S: Super fruity and sweet. Grapefruit, blood orange, apricots, pomegranate, mango, honey dew and pineapple. Sweet candy malt and very subtle flower aroma.

T/M: Clementine oranges, ruby red grapefruit with sugar sprinkled on top, apricots, and melon. Crystallized sugar accompanied by bitter lemon/line peel and timid spices. Overall palate is big time fruity and sweet, opposed to a harsh bitterness. Sticky medium body with gentle carbonation and a smooth but dry finish.

O: All I can say is "I love this beer!" Hands down one of the best I gave had. Super excited to try the rest of the Lagunitas line up. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in standard pub pint.

A - generous pour gives an inch of foamy white head that dissipated slowly leaving a lot of lace on the glass. Orange-amber in color and crystal clear.

S - Big resiny pine notes dominate over an underlying citrus (more lemon than orange). Searching beyond that with my nose in the glass and a really big sniff, they is a slight oniony note, but it is very subtle.

T - Some malty sweetness and a strong tropical fruit note (pineapple, mango) followed by a well-balanced bitterness. A lemony character is found and very late at the back of the tongue, the piney character from the nose comes through in the taste.

M - that resinous note in the smell translates to a slightly oily character in the mouthfeel that isn't unpleasant and doesn't seem out of place. It remains on the tongue long after the swallow complimenting a somewhat dry finish that leaves you wanting more. The body is lighter than you might expect for all of that.

O - I'm not a big hophead, but I enjoyed this beer. Nice to find an American IPA that doesn't overwhelm you with grapefruit rind. Easy drinking for nearly 8% ABV

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap at Federal Taphouse in Harrisburg PA, served in a pint.

Golden shade with orange hues and thick light beige head with tiny bead and good retention. The smell is fruity and dank with hop aroma that brings to mind orange rind and tropical tinges with mild grapefruit ester and juicy element with perhaps a hint of pineapple odors. The feel is very good also with a semi-bitter entry w/ slight malt sweetness up front and juicy resinous hop with moderate acidity and full feel as a result of oils with moderate carbonation and mildly astringent quality with a hoppy bitter finish.

The taste of this is juicy with tropical hop flavors w/ slight herbal component and gentle malt accent in the background which hints at caramel with mild pine element in the hop flavor coming out mid taste with a slight fruity yeast essence in the finish. Overall a very good ale, I actually prefer this to Brown Shugga, a little less dry than some west coast Imperial Ipa's, however it is very fresh and has a full hop taste from beginning to end with emphasis on hop flavor rather than just bitterness which I like compared to others of its ilk.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Poured into a new belgium globe, light copper crisp and clear. About an inch of frothy white head fills up the glass. Nice looking brew.

S- Great hop aroma! Citrus and pine! One of my favorite smelling beers.

T- Extremely complex and balanced. Complexity coming from multiple grains underneath amazing hop flavor. Piney and extremely fruity.

M- Very smooth and medium bodied. Soft and velvety on the tongue.

O- One of the most balanced IPA's out there, very drinkable and not too bitter. The hop aroma is really what sets this beer apart for me. It is a must try that I wish was available year round. P.S. I really think that this beer should be classified as a single IPA in my opinion. Cheers!

3.71/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 1-31-12. Poured into Schlafly tulip.

A- Yellow to orange, white foam leaves lots of brief lacing. Nice appearance, some of the heaviness is apparent

S- Primarily pungent and piney aromas, with some leafiness. Hints of sweetness. Good, but a little one-sided. The aroma also reminds me of a good latte, as strange as it sounds.

T- Smooth, with plenty of bitterness at the back of the mouth and sides of the tongue. A little bit of sweet breadiness in the aftertaste, not much in the taste.

M- Medium bodied, a little biting. Moderate carbonation

O- Its good points are the noticeableness of the hops, and that it's very easy drinking. On the other hand, I could use more malt and more fruitiness in the hops. I have also had this same batch when it was several weeks fresher, and my impressions were similar.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a rich transparent orange colour with a white foamy head which quickly died down.

The smell is pine needles and citrus fruits. Smells great and is strong.

The taste is much like the smell, the hops are fresh with a delicious sweetness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall this ipa is about as great as they get, yet another awesome beer from lagunitas.

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasted On: 02-16-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: Single from The Bottle Shop, Franklin

Pours a dark orange, clear beer, topped by 2 fingers worth of off-white head. Very good lacing and head retention.

Aromas are of strong citrusy hops -- very aromatic and fruity with grapefruit and pine notes.

The taste starts off with a big hop bitterness, but is then offset with some sweet caramel maltiness.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated on a medium body. Finishes quite bitter but also with a good dose of malt.

Overall an impressive DIPA; I can see why this beer has such a following.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- golden amber with thin lacing

Smell- floral hops, a cascade attack with light sweet undertones

Taste- mild malt sweetness, hop bitterness well balanced, alcohol warmth well hidden

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, smooth on the palate

Overall- great pizza beer and stands stong on its own. Well worth another 6 pack.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company