Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

DayTime - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Avg: 4
Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 08-25-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of DayTime Alström Bros
Reviews: 416 | Hads: 2,285
3.81/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

July 4, 2015

12 oz bottle, tulip glass

A – Deep straw to very light gold, with high clarity. Mildly effervescent. A half inch of white head with moderate-low retention.

S – Prominent grapefruit, with light mango and lemon-lime hop aromas. Light crackery malt, with some flour and/or uncooked sourbread dough.

T – Lemon-lime is more prominent on the palate with some grapefruit and moderate-low hop bitterness, then a quick sharp hop bite on the finish. Malt flavor is low, uncooked bread dough.

M – Medium-full body with fairly high, sudsy carbonation. No real sweetness, and moderate hop bitterness that seems a bit higher due to the lightness in other areas (sweetness, malt flavor.) Somewhat dry throughout.

O – An easily drinkable session IPA, but not as much aroma or flavor as other options I’ve seen within the style.

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear pale yellow with a fairly dense white head.
Aroma is flowery with a hint of cracker and light spice and a tiny bit of citrus. A bit lager-like.
The taste features lots of piney bitterness right up front, a little juicy fruit in the middle and a drying and bitter finish. Some floral notes as it warms a bit.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side and it's a bit sticky.
Overall, a decent session IPA.

3.64/5  rDev -9%

Certainly comes across as a light IPA. Not bad, but nothing great here. Easy, easy to drink. Smells grapefruity and hoppy, but the taste disappointed me. Not enough bold flavors or any semblance of maltiness to give it substance. Still, this is going to be my go to "I want to drink something flavorful without getting shit-faced" beer this summer.

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is ok for a session IPA. Some nice hops up front but not very memorable. I think if I was looking for a session beer I would pick something else.

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Home 6/14/15

Cut to the chase. As far as sessions go this is near the top. You'd never guess this is a lower alcohol offering. The same great Lagunitas taste is still the base. Very good and will be a staple in the fridge this summer.

3.71/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Stone Go-To IPA was the first session I tired, and I was impressed with its taste and body. By comparison, this was not as tasty and was weaker in the finish. Not a bad aroma, and decent taste; however, it was a tad watery going down.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

I picked this up at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single 12oz bottle $1.67. There is some kind of numbering code stamped onto the neck, but I can't decipher it f it's supposed to be a freshness code.

The beer poured a hazy pale yellow color with just a ½-finger of white head that dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

Huge grapefruit hop aroma. Very nice.

Nothing complicated here. Big grapefruit and lemon citrus flavor with just enough crfackery malt to keep it balanced. Bitterness is decent at 54.2 IBUs, but not overpowering.

Crisp, with a medium body and high carbonation.

Works as a good session beer with the low 4.65% abv.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a very clear, straw color with about a one finger head.

S - Very light and pleasant aroma. Sweet with aromas of grapefruit and citrus.

T - Similar to the smell, flavors of lemongrass and grapefruit with other various hints of citrus. Notes of hops present as well but not too prominent. Fairly straightforward but enjoyable taste.

M - Shockingly heavier than expected. Medium bodied beer with a decent amount of carbonation but not too overwhelming. Very crisp.

O - Great beer from a great company. Not my favorite IPA but still enjoyable.

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very drinkable, but overall sort of a really boring beer. I get that it's a session IPA with low ABV, but even compared to Founder's All Day this doesn't quite live up.

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 Fluid Ounce Bottle
Bottled on April 10th, 2015 (Julian Code Stamped on the Neck of the Bottle)
Reviewed on May 27th, 2015
Served in an IPA Glass

Poured a pale golden body. A bubbly bright white head formed, a little over an inch deep. Good amount of lacing throughout.

Grapefruit and pineapple stood out the most. Light hit of pepper.

Lemon and grapefruit hit the tongue first. Hops were prominent but contained. The hops bottomed out left a semi-dry finish with a blend of bready grains and peppery hops. Light-bodied. High carbonation.

I could get real nit-picky with this but all-in-all it is a solid sessionable IPA.

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a session IPA and just that. I don't think it pretends to be anything else. Great taste and quite refreshing. Nice alternative to the more watered down IPA's out there. Decent color with a crisp feel and clean slightly piney finish straight from the bottle (yes I dared to). I bought a six pack and went through them quick my self. Brought a case to a cookout this weekend and they went like lightening with the self proclaimed beer snobs. Great straight out of the cooler and nicely soaked in ice. Will buy again this summer.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I supplied this at my picnic along with Bells Oberon and some of my other favorite beers, and Daytime was easily the favorite, for good reason. It's nice to drink a tasty beer all day without falling over drunk. Of course at $38 a case, keep it a small gathering. Great beer.

3.28/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

355ml bottle at home from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£2.60):
I was quite disappointed with this one from Lagunitas, it definitely seems like the worst of 3 beers that I've tried thus far from them & came out almost like a watered down version of their regular IPA that I much preferred to this one, as well as being one that I can picked up more easily & for cheaper too. It's not that I didn't enjoy this one or that I thought it was a bad beer, it's just that I felt it could have been so much better & I was expecting it be.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a hazy, bright yellow coloring, with a filmy, foamy, white head. Nose of lemongrass, subtle citrus notes, sticky hops, and a cracker backbone. Flavors are cracker and toast forward, with a subtle piney highlight and light citrus and resinous notes rounding it out. Smooth and light bodied, with a light hoppy and cracker blend in the aftertaste. The finish is dry and slightly effervesced, with a citrus sweet linger. Very drinkable beer.

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A damn good session ipa, don't normally go for such beers as they often taste watered down. Not this case at all here. All the deliciousness of lagunitas with out getting you drunk

This is a bland version of an ipa. Session or not, there is one noted bitterness here and nothing else. I know the style is somewhat lacking across the board, but I expected much more since it carried the Lagunitas name.

Would not purchase again.

2.29/5  rDev -42.8%

I love Lagunitas Night Time Ale.
But this, I couldn't describe it at first.
Then it hit me. . . Hop water.
No malt character for me at all.
I wish I could review higher.

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

Very nice hazy yellow coloring. Pours a one finger, thick head. Back of the mouth hit with a light hoppy and floral notes. Nice tastes of grass and citrus. Mouth feel is great, with carbonation and hops. The hops taste isn't very strong, but definitely present. Overall an outstanding beer.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A lot of hoppy IPA style beers don't retain that floral, front-of-the-tongue bitter flavor when they're bottled. Even the real famous flagship beers like Pliny the Elder and Ballast Point Sculpin don't seem to retain that sparkly hop quality when served out of bottles.

To my surprise, this Daytime IPA from Lagunitas does have it. Maybe it's because it has such a light body that the hops really stand out. Maybe they add some chemical adjunct to preserve that particular flavor. I'm not sure, but I think this is one of the better values in bottled craft IPAs that I can find. And I can find it pretty much anywhere, from specialty beer stores to gas station refrigerator cases.

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: straw

S: citrus hops

T: again, citrus. makes me think of a Lagunitas IPA watered down with sprite...?

M: nice nice

O: I'll try one again but its not that killer

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Hadn't seen this before so I picked up a few. After opening and pouring, I looked at the bottling date..Wow, this "Fractional IPA" is over 8 months old!!. Oh well, here is the review and I will re-review again if I can find a fresher bottle. Pours an extremely light yellow-gold color with ok head and minimal lacing. Aroma knocked my socks off. Dank, Piney, Resiny, Grapefruit, citrus rind, BUT....almost to the skunky smelling level. Wow, this is gonna be interesting. Well, it was just ok.....Aroma is the best part of this beer, the flavor of hops and citrus get you at first(along with the aroma of fresh squeezed skunk) and then quickly dissipate into a watery, forgettable beer. Just as you begin to taste it, it's gone !!!. Mouthfeel was watery and hardly there at all!!

4.71/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have been trying different sessions IPAs for about a year. Never found one that I really liked. This is the best I have tried. Actually prefer it over regular IPAs that I have been drinking. While I still like the other IPAs, I don't really need too many 7.5% beers. This beer should be perfect for summer.

4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright golden color with a fluffy head into my glass. Very clear for the style. I like it.

Crisp, grassy, grainy textures upfront. No indication of hops on label but they do have a noticeable citrus character.

How do I put this? Crisp and light sweetness of the malt mingles with a decent floral and citrus punch from the hops.

Drinks like a much stronger beer. The dry hopping gives the drinker a little extra oomph in the nose.

Very tasty. Sessionable. They should can it. Would be the perfect compliment to a hot day on a riding mower.

3.57/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours an almost clear medium straw producing 2 fingers of shortlived, white, frothy head that leaves a narrow ring of lace. Aroma is aromatic herbal/floral hop hints & a little sweet caramel malt. Taste is mostly herbal & citrus hops swimming in a moderate caramel malt background with a hint of cabbage/onion. The second session IPA I've had in 2 days with fairly robust flavor for what it is. Mouthfeel is light-moderate bodied, moderate carbonation, creamy & smooth.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Very light golden color. Made me a little apprehensive after the pour for an IPA. Complete change of heart once my nose caught the wonderful smells of fresh fruit and citrus aromas. Flavors of grapefruit, pine, green apple and some wheat. Beautiful balance and nice carbonation. Somewhat dry and light hop finish. I'm a big fan of IPA'S. This is not a traditional IPA, however it was a pleasant surprise. Would be my go to beer for a day at the beach when you plan on drinking more than one.

DayTime from Lagunitas Brewing Company