2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,929 | Reviews: 1,446 | Show All Ratings:
HopMe77

Purchased at the local Kroger in South Raleigh/Garner off of 70 and Timber. Sixer was $9.19 - great balance of hop and malt....seriously one of the better IPAs on the market today that is available at the freakin Kroger. Starts out with a citrusy aroma that is quickly forgotten after the first bite of this brew hits your tastebuds. YUM.

02-19-2010 01:12:07 | More by HopMe77
TonyC

One of the best West Coast IPA's ever, that has such a wonderful Hop flavor that doesn't over power you. Great aroma and taste...mmm.

A: A very clear orange-cooper color, with a very nice white head with a subtle lace.

S: A subdued hops aroma that lets you know the hops are there, but are not going to over power the malt profile.

T: A very awesome citrus hops flavor that still allows you to enjoy the sweet malt flavors. Very, very appealing to the palate, and leaves your tongue wanting more.

M: Crisp, tangy, with a hoppy sweetness. VERY easy to drink.

O: What can I say, this IPA is one that I highly enjoy, and could drink daily. Whether with food or on it's own, this one is a winner in my book.

06-17-2012 23:09:28 | More by TonyC
chrisgalvin

There's always a 6-pack of this in my 'fridge. This American IPA utilizes Belgian yeast to provide a smooth and robust American IPA. It's almost like a Belgian-style IPA. Fantastic Lagunitas signature style hops and malt character. Smooth and a nice clean finish.

04-01-2013 05:18:45 | More by chrisgalvin
bbluemzbeer

One of the best IPA's ever! It has such a wonderful hop flavor that is not over powering

Smell: aroma of hops and malt profile.

Taste: A very good citrus hops and sweet malt flavors. It is appealing to the palate. This beer leaves your tongue wanting more. The balance out perfectly!

Moutfeell: Crisp, tangy, with Some hoppy sweetness.

Overall : This IPA is one I enjoy, and I could drank daily. It has quality and done very well this beer.

07-03-2013 15:49:44 | More by bbluemzbeer
drluke21

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

I must say this beer quickly jumped up to the top tier in my mind of IPAs I have drank in my life. It was excellent!

The LaGuanitas has a lot of nose and a distinct hoppy smell that I find lacking in most commercially produced beers. This beer aroma makes me want to keep my face over the pitcher the entire time I am drinking it just to enjoy the aroma.

Even better, this beer goes down easy yet packs the body of a good IPA. Trust me, you can drink a lot of this.

I've also had their Maximus IPA, which I like even more, even with the increased price.

07-28-2008 22:08:56 | More by drluke21
billybob

4.95/5  rDev +27.2%

pours a nice orange copper color with a two finger slightly off white head that holds very well with some nice lacing to go with it. strong aromas of pine, spice, and herbs. taste is exceptional, slightly sweet fresh grapefruit tartness and nicely hopped and slightly bitter. mouthfeel is medium, carbonation a tad light. very good beer, great taste.

01-27-2008 03:53:48 | More by billybob
Phillyphilms

4.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Excellent West Coast IPA. Hoppy but with less IBU's than you'd expect. Very floral on the nose, citrus and fruity finish and hoppy enough for three fellas. Fell in love while living in Cali and easily one of my favorite three IPA's I've ever had.

05-23-2010 06:10:10 | More by Phillyphilms
chicagobill13

4.95/5  rDev +27.2%

This is such an awesome beer. I am love IPA's and it took me the longest time to love this beer. Nice balance hoppy but not over powering like most crap over hop IPA's. Nice sexy cooper look. No head but asides that great beer! It is now in my top 5 IPA's. Try it!

05-14-2011 22:58:52 | More by chicagobill13
NicoCruz000

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

The best "all around" and well rounded beer, that is perfectly balanced between hops and malts. A good IPA is my beer of choice, but adding ridiculous amounts of hoops doesn't always make a beer better. Lagunitas gets it right. The perfect beer. Well, my perfect beer.

11-24-2010 23:28:55 | More by NicoCruz000
vicg12

4.89/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love love love this beer. Been hearing many good things about Lagunitas, so when I saw a beer on tap from them I jumped on it. Very happy I did. Super bright hoppy burst of flavor and smell. Small-medium head. Just so full of flavor, super refreshing. Had two right in a row before I had to leave, or else I would have had six more. Highly recommend, one of the best IPAs or beers I have ever had.

02-27-2013 01:07:40 | More by vicg12
czechsaaz

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

(review from notes...hard to review at a wedding but,)

Keg was picked up from the brewery this morning so probably as fresh as I'll ever have.

Great hop aroma. Grassy hops and woody northern brewer types. Add in some classic citrus West Coast hop aroma too. A little bit of crystal malt gets through but the hops are the standout.

Golden colored and perfectly clear. Nice 1/2 inch persistant head. Good lacing. Light risisng carbonation in the glass.

Very strong hop bitterness up front. Almost and oily hop flavor. Mid Palate there's a strong malt balance. Lots of sweet base malt and good caramel/crystal flavors too. Follow through is mostly citrussy hops and a little earthiness too. Some fruity esters but for the most part a clean fermentation flavor. Very refreshing!

Medium-to-full bodied with excellent carbonation level. Playful on the palate but not really bitting.

I like Lagunitas but I've never been crazy about their beers. Solid but not extraordinary has always been my impression. But having this fresh keg is a treat. An IPA I always thought was kind of average in it's style/category is actually really above my expectations. I think I finally get what others have been telling me for a long time. Excellent beer!

12-08-2007 08:18:00 | More by czechsaaz
Smithson49er

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

A: Amber color with slight hues of red

S: Dank hop aroma and sweet yeast esters

T: The best balanced IPA I have ever tasted it has enough malt to keep it nice and rich but the hop kick needed to tingle the pallet

M: Smooth without lack of density and bite

O: This is my new go to beer and I think Lagunitas nailed it

05-04-2011 20:51:51 | More by Smithson49er
thebrood1987

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

Getting a perfume of citrus and slight grapefruit hops. Very smooth and crisp hop bite with a delicious refreshing cascade fruitiness rolling across the tongue with that perfume citrus hop taste and ending with an herbal pineyness from the Centennial hops.

The bready yeasty maltiness perfectly balances out the hop showcase on this one not leaving it too bitter and making it refreshing along with that cascade hope fruitiness. I always found the cascade hop to the be a very crisp fruitiness. I also can taste some grapefruit overtones in there as well.

This is a very sessionable IPA and is quickly one of my favorites. I've never had just an okay beer from this brewery. They are always great. The balance on this one is amazing but such a fruity crisp bite from the hops is again very refreshing and makes this a very hopped but extremely drinkable beer which could some times be hard to pull off I can imagine. This one does just that. Excellent beer.

10-04-2012 01:29:47 | More by thebrood1987
bryskal

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

American IPAs are my choice. I've drank quite a few and this variety is unquestionably the best. It is extremely hoppy with a finish that makes you go yeaaah nice! Not recommended for the social drinker or those who are not beer fans. If you are tired of wimpy beers, try the Lagunitas IPA. A word of warning: don't drink three or four the night before an important meeting or job interview. You might not be able to find a convenient location to relieve some pent up intestinal pressure, if you know what I mean.

My personal favorite beer.

07-24-2007 04:54:36 | More by bryskal
jbull

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

This IPA pours creamy amber with a light tan head. Many large particulates in the last pour. Aroma is very hoppy, the best way to describe is sweet-pine-hop. Lovers of hops will love ther aroma - you know you're in for a hoppy beer experience. Head disipates after a couple swigs and leaves a persisitent effervescent lacing. The taste is strongly hoppy and oily with some acidity. The aftertaste is longlasting -sweet on the lips and slightly bitter on the throat. This is a great tasting beer similar to Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. One of my favorites. The hop oils seem to linger in your mouth after every taste!

This is thhe only brew I've had from Lagunitas. Very impressive. This is my current favorite, over Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA.

06-25-2005 01:04:34 | More by jbull
aeminter

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

A - A lovely pale copper color, clear with a big foamy rocky off white head and excellent lacing.

S - Grapefruit/Citrus hops, a little piny and resinous with an amazing herbal undertone...you can almost smell the sunshine.

T/M - Nicely balanced with subtle malt sweetness upfront and a lingering hop bitterness in the finish. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Very clean.

This is an excellent representation for this style, and by far one of my favorites. I wouldn't mind keeping a keg of this on hand at all times.

08-22-2010 04:46:58 | More by aeminter
tvl89

4.76/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas IPA is in my opinion one of the most balanced ipas out there. Really tasty.
It has a nice appearance, smell, and taste. Very drinkable and at an affordable price, you can't beat it! This was my first beer from lagunitas and certainly not the last one.

05-21-2013 18:14:13 | More by tvl89
MobBarley

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

This here is one of my all-time favorites, even though it has the hop profile of a bitter Pale Ale as opposed to what I think of as a true IPA. Nonetheless...satisfying to all of the senses. Pours a slightly pinkish golden hue with a very nice, choppy, beige head. Good lacing, apparently moderate carbonation. The smell is mild, and is perhaps the weak link in an otherwise strong chain of features. Basically it is just piney/rindey Cascade hops with an interesting but understated malty sweetness underneath. The taste is what I like the best. A bready malt flavor makes an appearance, showing off a little bit of a buttery aspect. The hops soon take over, initially astringent, now lemony, and finally ultra-dry and piney. The mouthfeel is solid for the style and right up my alley. Slightly chewier than many hop-heavy beers, this brew has a nice alcoholic warmth and is perfect for chilly Spring and Fall evenings. Drinkability is maximal, and I will take this over most widely available IPAs any day.

03-13-2004 04:35:20 | More by MobBarley
ryandurka

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

not my usual pick. was mixed in my 6 pack at the grocery store, i was lazy and didnt return it when at the register. i normaly dont like ipa's but this one rocked. smooth and refreshing it was right on ,dig? so if you see this beer try it, its real good.

10-21-2008 01:15:05 | More by ryandurka
UCLABrewN84

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

A - Pours a hazy honey color with a 1 inch white head that fades to nothing. Good ring lacing on this beer.

S - Smells of citrus zest, pine needles, and malt.

T - Bitter pine hops, acidic citrus zest, sweet malt finish. Very very tasty.

M - Perfect carbonation on this beer. Dry with a well done bitter/acidic coating in the mouth.

D - Superb. Easy drinking and super tasty makes for a great beer.

07-05-2010 17:43:58 | More by UCLABrewN84
dertyd

4.73/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle to a pint glass

A:orange coper with a head that lingers and a nice laceing

S:grape fruit,grassy hops,citris fruit

T:sweet citris,grapefruit with a bitter finish

M;crisp but dry realy pleasing

Overall: a realy good ipa one of my favorites well ballanced beer with a good hop presence

01-19-2013 08:47:04 | More by dertyd
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Comes out of the tap a dark, hazy, honey-golden with a fine-bubbled beige head. Aroma is richly hoppy, somewhat evergreen, promising a good IPA. Strongly evergreen flavor is richly hoppy, quite bitter but not overwhelmingly so, and subtly sweet; it gives the impression of drinking a pine tree - what a great IPA does! Texture is rich, lively and somewhat smooth. A must for anyone who loves hoppy beers.

04-05-2009 00:55:26 | More by Cyberkedi
Jordan

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

A potent and bold IPA. Muscular hop character. Very hazey amber-orange swimming with sediments. Citrus and floral signatures try hard to compete with an assertive bitterness. Herbal and grass aromas intermix giving the perception of the outdoors captured in a bottle. Prost!

03-18-2002 16:15:50 | More by Jordan
PantsOptional

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Glad I didn't review this beer after the first time I had it almost a year ago. At that time, my opinion of it would've gone something like this: "overrated and underhopped" - again, glad I didn't review it at that time. NOW: Trying it again for the first time, this beer is amazing. It's everything I like in an IPA and more. Followed an Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine with this magnificent IPA and it was like Heaven. (And I'd had a Hop Stoopid before the barleywine, so my palate was already exposed to a super load of hops for the eve). It's citrusy, piney, and oh so quaffable. A beautiful beer to look at and the aroma does not differentiate from the taste. Mouthfeel is awesome and the drinkability level is oh so high. My only thought on the reason the first sample underwhelmed is that it was old. The problem with Lagunitas' products is that there's no best by date anywhere (that I can find). So one never knows what one is getting: fresh or old . . . or should I say great or not-so-great? Happy to see this brewery arrive in town after a looong wait for Hop Stoopid and the rest of its excellent brews. STATUS: BREWERY REPUTATION VINDICATED!

03-09-2010 17:19:17 | More by PantsOptional
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

A light copper colour to this one...sort of honey accents as well. Very inviting.

The smell carries an initial fruity/malty quality, with a hoppiness that hops right up behind.

The taste hits with a sweet maltiness, though not cloying. Shortly after, the hops kick in for a LONG pleasant bitter end.

THis one is a bit fizzy ont he top of the body...nice and even feel for an IPA.

Very nice, IMO...I wouldn't mind having it again.

Be well