Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001

45.6 IBU
Reviews: 1,617 | Hads: 7,791

One of the best IPA's ever! It has such a wonderful hop flavor that is not over powering
A: A very clear orange-cooper color, with a very nice white head with a subtle lace.

Smell: aroma of hops and malt profile.

Taste: A very good citrus hops and sweet malt flavors. It is appealing to the palate. This beer leaves your tongue wanting more. The balance out perfectly!

Moutfeell: Crisp, tangy, with Some hoppy sweetness.

Overall : This IPA is one I enjoy, and I could drank daily. It has quality and done very well this beer. (531 characters)

Purchased at the local Kroger in South Raleigh/Garner off of 70 and Timber. Sixer was $9.19 - great balance of hop and malt....seriously one of the better IPAs on the market today that is available at the freakin Kroger. Starts out with a citrusy aroma that is quickly forgotten after the first bite of this brew hits your tastebuds. YUM. (338 characters)

There's always a 6-pack of this in my 'fridge. This American IPA utilizes Belgian yeast to provide a smooth and robust American IPA. It's almost like a Belgian-style IPA. Fantastic Lagunitas signature style hops and malt character. Smooth and a nice clean finish. (263 characters)

This is my go to beer no matter the season. It's clean, goes down easy, and smells great. It's one of the better IPAs I have had it's really dope. I suggest it to anyone looking to step away from store bought light beer and into a really quality beer. (253 characters)

Wow, lagunitas never Dissapoints. Readily available & high quality. I live in Indiana where 3 Floyds is most people's sought after brew. Lagunitas brew is always both easier to get ahold of, cheaper, and just as good if not better. This beer tastes nearly the same as gumballhead, however slightly more grapefruit than citrus. Smooth, all day drinking kind of beer or session. I can't think of any occasion or season this wouldn't be good. Awesome citrus/grapefruit taste, kind of a bready orange peel nose. Taste doesn't linger or coat the mouth, something that I look for in all beers, and leaves you wanting more after each taste. I thought I liked lil sumpin', but this is smoother and you don't get that alcohol Taste at the end like lil sumpin'. 10/10 in my book. (769 characters)

One of the best West Coast IPA's ever, that has such a wonderful Hop flavor that doesn't over power you. Great aroma and taste...mmm.

S: A subdued hops aroma that lets you know the hops are there, but are not going to over power the malt profile.

T: A very awesome citrus hops flavor that still allows you to enjoy the sweet malt flavors. Very, very appealing to the palate, and leaves your tongue wanting more.

M: Crisp, tangy, with a hoppy sweetness. VERY easy to drink.

O: What can I say, this IPA is one that I highly enjoy, and could drink daily. Whether with food or on it's own, this one is a winner in my book. (709 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +28.4%

I must say this beer quickly jumped up to the top tier in my mind of IPAs I have drank in my life. It was excellent!

The LaGuanitas has a lot of nose and a distinct hoppy smell that I find lacking in most commercially produced beers. This beer aroma makes me want to keep my face over the pitcher the entire time I am drinking it just to enjoy the aroma.

Even better, this beer goes down easy yet packs the body of a good IPA. Trust me, you can drink a lot of this.

I've also had their Maximus IPA, which I like even more, even with the increased price. (556 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Excellent West Coast IPA. Hoppy but with less IBU's than you'd expect. Very floral on the nose, citrus and fruity finish and hoppy enough for three fellas. Fell in love while living in Cali and easily one of my favorite three IPA's I've ever had. (246 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

pours a nice orange copper color with a two finger slightly off white head that holds very well with some nice lacing to go with it. strong aromas of pine, spice, and herbs. taste is exceptional, slightly sweet fresh grapefruit tartness and nicely hopped and slightly bitter. mouthfeel is medium, carbonation a tad light. very good beer, great taste. (350 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +27.6%

This is such an awesome beer. I am love IPA's and it took me the longest time to love this beer. Nice balance hoppy but not over powering like most crap over hop IPA's. Nice sexy cooper look. No head but asides that great beer! It is now in my top 5 IPA's. Try it! (264 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +27.1%

The best "all around" and well rounded beer, that is perfectly balanced between hops and malts. A good IPA is my beer of choice, but adding ridiculous amounts of hoops doesn't always make a beer better. Lagunitas gets it right. The perfect beer. Well, my perfect beer. (268 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love love love this beer. Been hearing many good things about Lagunitas, so when I saw a beer on tap from them I jumped on it. Very happy I did. Super bright hoppy burst of flavor and smell. Small-medium head. Just so full of flavor, super refreshing. Had two right in a row before I had to leave, or else I would have had six more. Highly recommend, one of the best IPAs or beers I have ever had. (397 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Despite the generic label this is an exceptional IPA in the lower price range. I really try to keep this in my beer pantry at all times. One very solid product. (160 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Getting a perfume of citrus and slight grapefruit hops. Very smooth and crisp hop bite with a delicious refreshing cascade fruitiness rolling across the tongue with that perfume citrus hop taste and ending with an herbal pineyness from the Centennial hops.

The bready yeasty maltiness perfectly balances out the hop showcase on this one not leaving it too bitter and making it refreshing along with that cascade hope fruitiness. I always found the cascade hop to the be a very crisp fruitiness. I also can taste some grapefruit overtones in there as well.

This is a very sessionable IPA and is quickly one of my favorites. I've never had just an okay beer from this brewery. They are always great. The balance on this one is amazing but such a fruity crisp bite from the hops is again very refreshing and makes this a very hopped but extremely drinkable beer which could some times be hard to pull off I can imagine. This one does just that. Excellent beer. (960 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

(review from notes...hard to review at a wedding but,)

Keg was picked up from the brewery this morning so probably as fresh as I'll ever have.

Great hop aroma. Grassy hops and woody northern brewer types. Add in some classic citrus West Coast hop aroma too. A little bit of crystal malt gets through but the hops are the standout.

Golden colored and perfectly clear. Nice 1/2 inch persistant head. Good lacing. Light risisng carbonation in the glass.

Very strong hop bitterness up front. Almost and oily hop flavor. Mid Palate there's a strong malt balance. Lots of sweet base malt and good caramel/crystal flavors too. Follow through is mostly citrussy hops and a little earthiness too. Some fruity esters but for the most part a clean fermentation flavor. Very refreshing!

Medium-to-full bodied with excellent carbonation level. Playful on the palate but not really bitting.

I like Lagunitas but I've never been crazy about their beers. Solid but not extraordinary has always been my impression. But having this fresh keg is a treat. An IPA I always thought was kind of average in it's style/category is actually really above my expectations. I think I finally get what others have been telling me for a long time. Excellent beer! (1,240 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

A: Amber color with slight hues of red

S: Dank hop aroma and sweet yeast esters

T: The best balanced IPA I have ever tasted it has enough malt to keep it nice and rich but the hop kick needed to tingle the pallet

M: Smooth without lack of density and bite

O: This is my new go to beer and I think Lagunitas nailed it (323 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a clear amber color with a 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are both very good. Has a deep, fresh, citrus, piney aroma. Very appealing. Bready, malty taste, quickly followed by a nice piney hop burst. Bitter, citrus aftertaste that persists. Soapy but very appealing once again. Very good IPA. Definitely one of my favorites. Seems fresher than the last one I had because I am rating it higher than what it was. (446 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

American IPAs are my choice. I've drank quite a few and this variety is unquestionably the best. It is extremely hoppy with a finish that makes you go yeaaah nice! Not recommended for the social drinker or those who are not beer fans. If you are tired of wimpy beers, try the Lagunitas IPA. A word of warning: don't drink three or four the night before an important meeting or job interview. You might not be able to find a convenient location to relieve some pent up intestinal pressure, if you know what I mean.

My personal favorite beer. (543 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

This IPA pours creamy amber with a light tan head. Many large particulates in the last pour. Aroma is very hoppy, the best way to describe is sweet-pine-hop. Lovers of hops will love ther aroma - you know you're in for a hoppy beer experience. Head disipates after a couple swigs and leaves a persisitent effervescent lacing. The taste is strongly hoppy and oily with some acidity. The aftertaste is longlasting -sweet on the lips and slightly bitter on the throat. This is a great tasting beer similar to Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. One of my favorites. The hop oils seem to linger in your mouth after every taste!

This is thhe only brew I've had from Lagunitas. Very impressive. This is my current favorite, over Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. (743 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

A - A lovely pale copper color, clear with a big foamy rocky off white head and excellent lacing.

S - Grapefruit/Citrus hops, a little piny and resinous with an amazing herbal undertone...you can almost smell the sunshine.

T/M - Nicely balanced with subtle malt sweetness upfront and a lingering hop bitterness in the finish. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Very clean.

This is an excellent representation for this style, and by far one of my favorites. I wouldn't mind keeping a keg of this on hand at all times. (531 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - poured into a standard clear pint glass from the bottle. Dark gold/Orange color with a thin fluffy white head that persists well. Great lacing.

Smell - very typical of an IPA. Citrus and hops.

Taste - nice hoppiness up front with lots of citrus and pine. Most noteworthy is the finish - the malt/yeast balance produces an excellent bready lager taste. I can see why some don't like that but I LOVE it.

Feel - Buttery, refreshing, sessionable.

Overall - One of the most well-balanced IPA'S I have had. I really really enjoyed it. I guess your enjoyment depends on what you like in a finish and how persistent its aftertaste is. I thought it was awesome. Cheers! (678 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Can't even convey how much I love this IPA. As a big fan of IPA's, this is my go-to. There may be better IPA's but this is my favorite. Why? Who knows? Who cares? It's delicious. (178 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A gloriously balanced, highly quaffable IPA. It is truly luxurious on the palate and one sip begets another. Also, its James McMurtry's favorite beer and he's one of the best musicians and songwriters, period. So you should drink it. (236 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle to a pint glass

A:orange coper with a head that lingers and a nice laceing

S:grape fruit,grassy hops,citris fruit

T:sweet citris,grapefruit with a bitter finish

M;crisp but dry realy pleasing

Overall: a realy good ipa one of my favorites well ballanced beer with a good hop presence (299 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas IPA is in my opinion one of the most balanced ipas out there. Really tasty.
It has a nice appearance, smell, and taste. Very drinkable and at an affordable price, you can't beat it! This was my first beer from lagunitas and certainly not the last one. (261 characters)

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company