2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,937 | Reviews: 1,448 | Show All Ratings:
Offa

1.78/5  rDev -54.2%

I am not the biggest fan of IPAs, but do like some and this is one example of what I do not like about many IPAs, and a lot of west coast US beers in general.

Like most Lagunitas beers, it looks pretty good with a deep gold body and pretty nice white head with a bit of lacing.

In aroma, taste, and feel, though, it is utterly unbalanced and one-dimensional with essentially nothing but grapefruit smell and taste. It is bitter, of course, but has nothing else to balance it and the real problem for is that I taste absolutely nothing but grapefruit pulp. The feel is a bit rough and thin. This does nothing at all for me.

04-15-2008 22:55:35 | More by Offa
BreakfastStout

1.9/5  rDev -51.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear. Much clearer than I prefer my IPA's. Comparable to a domestic, mass produced brew.

Smell: Sour, floral smell. Not balanced in the least.

Taste: Here's where it really goes downhill... Hops for the sake of hops, and nothing more.

Mouthfeel: Nothing there. At this point in the taste test, I'm really trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the 6 pack I bought.

Overall: If this is representative of a West Coast IPA, no thanks. I'll stick to Michigan IPA's.

10-15-2013 17:04:40 | More by BreakfastStout
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

1.95/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A nice rocky white head that sits for a while atop a nice dark gold, averagely carbonated ale. The head leaves some nice lace as well.

The aroma is not as pungent as i like because i like my ipas to grab my attention at first whiff. But it is a nice grapefruity smell that can be very nice on a hot day.

The flavor is mild in terms of bitterness untill the end when it sticks to your tongue. There is very little malt flavors percievable due to the intense hoppy flavors. I think that it is Galena hops which they use to bitter this beer but the flavor hop is too indistinct to identify.

The mouthfeel is good as it finishes cleanly and has little weight on the tongue. i like how you don't feel like you just ate something after drinking on of these.

Overall i would recommend this beer on a hot summer day or night when you have friends over who want a new beer but not one so intense as to make them puckered up. I probably would not buy this beer again as there are hoppy pale ales in my area in which i can find the distinct bitterness in a more diverse flavor profile.

06-04-2003 22:46:10 | More by RenoZymurgist
scott

1.98/5  rDev -49.1%

V.06
Copper body with cotton head of about one finger that receded quickly and much sticky lace initially.
Flat aroma of paper.
Taste? Think hopped-up Coor's Light. Bitter finish, with a thin presence in my mouth.
Although I was hoping for a lot, this was Lagunitas' third strike.
This doesn't deserve to be holding any craft IPA title, that's for sure.

01-09-2007 01:56:47 | More by scott
jneiswender

2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--brown gem topaz, nice dense head (eggshell white)

S--sweet malt, somewhat metallic

T--sweet malt front, piney hop middle--then flavor quickly drops

M--medium, somewhat slick

D--very generic at best. Lacks the boldness that good APAs have. Nothing in here is assertive. All the flavors are one dimensional.

01-19-2009 19:33:48 | More by jneiswender
Takahiro

Netherlands

2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

A: golden/amber with very thin head, which went away fairly quickly.

S: molass, sugar, sweet fruit, pine apple, fishy,,,?

T: some dish with fish sauce? I am distracted by this flavor and it's not that good in the beer... grape fruit hop flavor comes after that, but doesn't go well with fishiness. In overall, it feels plain/flat on the palate, and feels balanced. one drawback is this fishiness. it's just distracting.

M: relatively dry, and goes down freshly.

D: not so drinkable with that weird taste that I can't get over with...

08-09-2011 03:23:28 | More by Takahiro
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

Copper colored body with a thin head that has minimal retention and lacing.

Smells a little bit like pine-scented cleaning product mixed with some kind of citrus product of the same ilk.

This beer is just harsh, and not in a good way that many IPAs are. Big notes of lemon and grapefruit and a ton of pine, mixed with alcohol. The bitterness isn't so much tongue twisting as it is burning and bile-like. Although I haven't tasted cleaning products, this is about what I expect they would taste like.

EW. I don't want this in my mouth long enough to figure out how it feels.

I grabbed a pint of this beer at a bar without other craft options, but I think it is time that Lagunitas and I go our separate ways, as we don't seem to get along. On a side note, this reminds me of Troegs Scratch 37, which I also disliked, but to a lesser degree.

01-08-2011 16:58:58 | More by Hojaminbag
BB1313

2.3/5  rDev -40.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. I LOVE Lagunitas, and surprisingly have never tried this one before. It's an IPA by Lagunitas, how can it be disappointing? Well it is to me. Most Lagunitas beers have similar hop profiles that smell amazing and taste amazing.. not this one. Smells like cat piss and/or warm apple juice. Lots of orange peel. Lots of malt. Tastes like it smells. Now it has that classic golden color and nice retention and the mouthfeel is spot on, but that can't save the aromas and flavors. Weird and one dimensional. I hope this was an old bottle..

I never thought I'd be so let down by a Lagunitas brew. It doesn't change the way I feel about them one bit though because literally everything else they do is gold. Bad bottle maybe??

02-20-2012 23:23:35 | More by BB1313
GORDONSWALTHAM

2.38/5  rDev -38.8%

I tried this beer with a group of my buddies at work and we all came to the same conclusion, this beer tast just like grapefruit! This is ok as long as you are a grapefruit lover, however not one of us are. For the price you can get a much better IPA. If you want to save money, buy a bottle of grapfruit juice and add vodka!

01-11-2008 01:54:56 | More by GORDONSWALTHAM
TAMU99

Guam

2.38/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad IPA but just a little one-sided. It's all hop. Bold, even brash citrus assault your palate and there is not much malt to protect you. Funny though, I can smell biscotti and cookies, but just don't really appreciate those in the flavor. Mouthfeel is fine - though the bitterness lingers. Overall it's solidly built, but kinda not too polished. It has stiff competition from the multitude of great IPAs available - try Harpoon!

09-11-2013 07:47:59 | More by TAMU99
Ego

2.45/5  rDev -37%

eyes...
light caramel hue, one finger of white foam that recedes quickly, lacing is very good, just a very average looking brew, which is not a detriment really

nose...
nice piney citrus notes right off the bat, grapefruit... amarillo hops ? underneath they smell a little green and herbally... and really fresh. for just a regular IPA the smell is very nice

taste etc...
the carbonation is a bit lacking which impacts the mouthfeel negatively, mild hop oils flow, barely any IBUs felt.. I wonder how this is rated in terms of IBUs but the bitterness is missing, ditto the hops for the most extent, this is also a bit watery for my tastes. you can taste some sweetness from the malt but you have to work for it.
not much else to say, this is pretty weak on the flavor dept.

verdict?
disappointed. I enjoy many of their beers but this one... stay away unless you want a totally watered down tasting IPA to start someone off with who is used to non craft brews...

music: napalm death - the great and the good

Serving type: growler

08-19-2007 03:07:02 | More by Ego
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Taco Mac Perimeter. Dismal IPA selection, so I chose Lagunitas, as I've never had a bad beer from them before.

The beer was served in a pint glass. There was no head whatsoever, not even a film over the top. The beer was uber-clear, copper color. I would have never served a beer like this unless I knew that's the way it was supposed to look.

The smell reminded me of when you're cleaning up the next morning after a party, stale macro beer. No hops, just a sweet-sour aroma. It tasted like a flat macro, not even drinkable. I told my waitress it was not a good beer and she said she gets that a lot with the Lagunitas IPA. I can't figure out if it was the quality of the beer or the treatment from the establishment. Perhaps both. I have had quite a few beers from this restaurant before and I've never had a problem. I've never had a Lagunitas IPA before either, but I have had their Maximus which I enjoyed.

I drank less than half and finished my meal drinking Atlanta chlorinated water instead.

04-08-2011 03:15:53 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Strakosch

China

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a 6-pack of this for very cheap, about 7 dollars. The price shows.

Color is a sort of cheap-looking amber.
Taste is almost non-existent. I can taste a hint of bitterness, faintly like it's calling to me from behind a locked door. "Let me in! Let me in!" only to be muffled by its assailant, Lagunitas brewing co.

Though it was cheap, I do not buy beer because it's cheap. Would not buy again!

08-14-2013 18:32:51 | More by Strakosch
HSGB1316

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Very low IBU for an IPA. Perhaps this is why it is so popular. It is more session-able than many true IPAs and thus, less threatening to the less adventurous beer drinker. This could explain its popularity. I believe that if you did a blind taste test next to really any other IPA, you would not choose Lagunitas.

07-28-2013 17:04:05 | More by HSGB1316
KSac4115

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev -35%

Pours a golden honey color that is fairly clear and not cloudy. Has a small white foam head that dissipates quickly. Smell isn't very strong. Hoppy notes and some grapefruit/citrus. Smell is light a fresh. Taste is slightly hoppy and piney, but not very strong. Bitterness apparent in the aftertaste but the flavors die out real fast. Beer is very carbonated but is very light and drinkable. Overall a decent beer but nothing special. Won't be rushing back for another 6 pack.

09-11-2011 22:07:36 | More by KSac4115
geexploitation

Indiana

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

This IPA pours a clear, light amber color with a tenacious head. Highly aromatic with the familiar pine and grapefruit of Cascade hops, but there's no grain or malt notes in the aroma to balance the hops. The taste is totally unbalanced, with the hops being poorly/over-done, resulting in a huge hop flavor, but one that is acrid and bitter with no balancing malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is rough, with a prolonged bitterness sticker in the back of the throat.

I just can't understand why beers like this are the most popular beers in the lineup of their producers. There are really excellent pale ales and IPAs out there, ones that aren't just hop delivery vehicles, but beers. Thumbs down.

02-11-2006 02:24:44 | More by geexploitation
maximum12

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours a classic yellow IPA color with a dash of red, very clear, with a small white head, quickly disappearing. Smells like hops & citrus, not terribly strong.

Unfortunately, there's an sharp, unpleasant aftertaste. This is sharper, more acrid than an IPA-hoppy-bitter aftertaste to balance everything out. The hops & malt rush through, & then there's some damp boot sticking to the back of my throat & I can feel my eyebrows crawling together. No date on the bottle, recently purchased, so I have to believe this is the way it's intended to taste.

Drinkability suffers due to aftertaste. Overall this is just OK, & I'm looking for a Lagunitas to be impressed with.

07-18-2008 03:38:01 | More by maximum12
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

The flagship of the Lagunitas brewing company is a rather disappointing one. In fact, I disliked this beer so much when I tried it that I avoided the brewer altogether for over a year. Revisiting it, it's not as bad as I remember it, but it's still far from enjoyable to me, especially compared to Lagunitas' other beers.

I have thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every other beer I have had from Lagunitas, and I've had quite a few now, but this one still doesn't hit any spots for me. I highly recommend any reader who enjoys this beer, or beer at all, to try Hop Stoopid, their double IPA. At this time, it is my favorite beer and it wipes the floor with this one.

08-26-2011 02:05:45 | More by TheRealBigC
Thickfreakness

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a nice clear amber into my DFH glass. A one finger bright white head disappears quickly and leaves just little traces of lacing.

S- Some notes of sweet citrus... pineapple, grapefruit, and peaches. Big notes of wet hay and cut grass. Picking up alot more maltiness than I woulda figured from a Lagunitas IPA.

T- More malty sweet and filled with wet grass and damp hay than citrusy hops. More like an APA than a west coast IPA. This is really dissapointing.

M- Decent carbonation, Very malty for a west coast IPA. The citrus just doesn't pop like it should in my opinion. Leaves an aftertaste of bitter wet, old hay. Not sure how this is an IPA. More like a half decent APA.

O- Probably the only beer I've ever had from Lagunitas that I didn't like. No real character to this one at all. Reminds me of a Sam Adams IPA... all wet hay flavors and no real sence of citrusy punch and piney hops. A very droll IPA at best.

04-14-2012 22:34:28 | More by Thickfreakness
dmsohyea

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz bottle dated 081. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours dark orange with very little head on the reasonably strong pour. A little head retention and a touch of lacing.

S: Smells like caramel and brown sugar. Maybe some funky yeast smell in there somewhere. Very light on the hop scent.

T: Disappointing, to say the least. Some hoppy bitterness and a touch of grassy flavor, but not in a good way. The hops are mostly just there to make it bitter. Tons of brown sugar and bread flavors. Sorta tastes like a bittersweet sandwich. Not detecting a ton of diactyl, but it's gotta be there somewhere.

M: Reasonably thick for the style, with moderate to low carbonation. A little more carb would have been nice. That being said, the mouthfeel is the best aspect of the beer.

O: A little below average for the style. I'll try it on tap someday and re-review in case this is a bad/old bottle (it may have been bottled in March 2009 for all I know).

05-22-2011 00:55:48 | More by dmsohyea
harrymel

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottled July 11, 2011

A: pours a bronze ale with a solid finger of peanut foam which does not dissipate, might even be growing. Cobweb lacing with excellent clarity.

S: Grapefruit, some alcohol, resin, and some more grapefruit.

T: Moderate bitterness tones well with the sweet malts. The beer has an interesting vegetable flavor I'm uncertain if I like. Almost like a minty arugula flavor, huh, weird. Meh, it's okay as I sip more of it.

M: Quite lively, more so than I would prefer. As such, the body feels quite light to me. No finish to speak of.

O: Not a bad beer, but nothing special either. Pretty average.

08-25-2011 15:17:32 | More by harrymel
drewbage

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Judged at the 2003 Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival (Blind Sample)

Copper orange with a slight haze and vigorous rocky tan head.

Biscuity malt and brown sugar blends with a catty hop aroma.

The palate to this beer is flat with tea and honey. Back of the palate hop tannins become apparent. Finish is sweet and thick and wet.

06-10-2003 02:04:06 | More by drewbage
nc41

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

I knew from the first nose this one wasn't going to be great. The initial pour looked good, nice creamy head nice color. But again the nose didn't interest me much. The first sip follows the nose, it tastes like it smells unfortunately. It's an IPA malt bomb that's a little bitter. Where did the head go? Half way thru the head is gone, no lacing at all, it turned into dishwater. A drinkable IPA to be sure, but in a sea of quality IPA's this one doesn't make it.

06-07-2009 15:44:35 | More by nc41
terenceokeefe

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

the last time i had this on tap i loved it. had it on tap again, but after trying many other ipa's this one seems kind of mild. i will drink it again. lagunitas does make a quality product, so don't let my quest for super hoppy beer disuade you from trying it.

05-30-2008 17:11:33 | More by terenceokeefe
Frosty80

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

Color: nice clear copper

Smell: clean. not very fragrant. maybe only minute citrus. not really piny/hoppy. kinda starchy.

Taste: slight bitter and starchy aftertaste. tiny bit of sweetness. no remarkable flavors

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. crisp. light-med body

Notes: lagunitas doesnt impress me as a whole. there are pales that fit the IPA bill better than this.

01-14-2009 05:51:02 | More by Frosty80