Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)

jan_acker, May 14, 2014

tmars13, Aug 25, 2012

ABO2012, Jul 20, 2013

dracut, Jul 12, 2014
2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

Very low IBU for an IPA. Perhaps this is why it is so popular. It is more session-able than many true IPAs and thus, less threatening to the less adventurous beer drinker. This could explain its popularity. I believe that if you did a blind taste test next to really any other IPA, you would not choose Lagunitas.

HSGB1316, Jul 28, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -35%

Pours a golden honey color that is fairly clear and not cloudy. Has a small white foam head that dissipates quickly. Smell isn't very strong. Hoppy notes and some grapefruit/citrus. Smell is light a fresh. Taste is slightly hoppy and piney, but not very strong. Bitterness apparent in the aftertaste but the flavors die out real fast. Beer is very carbonated but is very light and drinkable. Overall a decent beer but nothing special. Won't be rushing back for another 6 pack.

KSac4115, Sep 11, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

This IPA pours a clear, light amber color with a tenacious head. Highly aromatic with the familiar pine and grapefruit of Cascade hops, but there's no grain or malt notes in the aroma to balance the hops. The taste is totally unbalanced, with the hops being poorly/over-done, resulting in a huge hop flavor, but one that is acrid and bitter with no balancing malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is rough, with a prolonged bitterness sticker in the back of the throat.

I just can't understand why beers like this are the most popular beers in the lineup of their producers. There are really excellent pale ales and IPAs out there, ones that aren't just hop delivery vehicles, but beers. Thumbs down.

geexploitation, Feb 11, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

A- Pours a nice clear amber into my DFH glass. A one finger bright white head disappears quickly and leaves just little traces of lacing.

S- Some notes of sweet citrus... pineapple, grapefruit, and peaches. Big notes of wet hay and cut grass. Picking up alot more maltiness than I woulda figured from a Lagunitas IPA.

T- More malty sweet and filled with wet grass and damp hay than citrusy hops. More like an APA than a west coast IPA. This is really dissapointing.

M- Decent carbonation, Very malty for a west coast IPA. The citrus just doesn't pop like it should in my opinion. Leaves an aftertaste of bitter wet, old hay. Not sure how this is an IPA. More like a half decent APA.

O- Probably the only beer I've ever had from Lagunitas that I didn't like. No real character to this one at all. Reminds me of a Sam Adams IPA... all wet hay flavors and no real sence of citrusy punch and piney hops. A very droll IPA at best.

Thickfreakness, Apr 14, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours a classic yellow IPA color with a dash of red, very clear, with a small white head, quickly disappearing. Smells like hops & citrus, not terribly strong.

Unfortunately, there's an sharp, unpleasant aftertaste. This is sharper, more acrid than an IPA-hoppy-bitter aftertaste to balance everything out. The hops & malt rush through, & then there's some damp boot sticking to the back of my throat & I can feel my eyebrows crawling together. No date on the bottle, recently purchased, so I have to believe this is the way it's intended to taste.

Drinkability suffers due to aftertaste. Overall this is just OK, & I'm looking for a Lagunitas to be impressed with.

maximum12, Jul 18, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

The flagship of the Lagunitas brewing company is a rather disappointing one. In fact, I disliked this beer so much when I tried it that I avoided the brewer altogether for over a year. Revisiting it, it's not as bad as I remember it, but it's still far from enjoyable to me, especially compared to Lagunitas' other beers.

I have thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every other beer I have had from Lagunitas, and I've had quite a few now, but this one still doesn't hit any spots for me. I highly recommend any reader who enjoys this beer, or beer at all, to try Hop Stoopid, their double IPA. At this time, it is my favorite beer and it wipes the floor with this one.

TheRealBigC, Aug 26, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz bottle dated 081. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours dark orange with very little head on the reasonably strong pour. A little head retention and a touch of lacing.

S: Smells like caramel and brown sugar. Maybe some funky yeast smell in there somewhere. Very light on the hop scent.

T: Disappointing, to say the least. Some hoppy bitterness and a touch of grassy flavor, but not in a good way. The hops are mostly just there to make it bitter. Tons of brown sugar and bread flavors. Sorta tastes like a bittersweet sandwich. Not detecting a ton of diactyl, but it's gotta be there somewhere.

M: Reasonably thick for the style, with moderate to low carbonation. A little more carb would have been nice. That being said, the mouthfeel is the best aspect of the beer.

O: A little below average for the style. I'll try it on tap someday and re-review in case this is a bad/old bottle (it may have been bottled in March 2009 for all I know).

dmsohyea, May 22, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottled July 11, 2011

A: pours a bronze ale with a solid finger of peanut foam which does not dissipate, might even be growing. Cobweb lacing with excellent clarity.

S: Grapefruit, some alcohol, resin, and some more grapefruit.

T: Moderate bitterness tones well with the sweet malts. The beer has an interesting vegetable flavor I'm uncertain if I like. Almost like a minty arugula flavor, huh, weird. Meh, it's okay as I sip more of it.

M: Quite lively, more so than I would prefer. As such, the body feels quite light to me. No finish to speak of.

O: Not a bad beer, but nothing special either. Pretty average.

harrymel, Aug 25, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Judged at the 2003 Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival (Blind Sample)

Copper orange with a slight haze and vigorous rocky tan head.

Biscuity malt and brown sugar blends with a catty hop aroma.

The palate to this beer is flat with tea and honey. Back of the palate hop tannins become apparent. Finish is sweet and thick and wet.

drewbage, Jun 10, 2003
2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

I knew from the first nose this one wasn't going to be great. The initial pour looked good, nice creamy head nice color. But again the nose didn't interest me much. The first sip follows the nose, it tastes like it smells unfortunately. It's an IPA malt bomb that's a little bitter. Where did the head go? Half way thru the head is gone, no lacing at all, it turned into dishwater. A drinkable IPA to be sure, but in a sea of quality IPA's this one doesn't make it.

nc41, Jun 07, 2009
2.66/5  rDev -31.6%

Why do I insist on ordering IPA's that travel great distances to get to me?

I hear this is a great IPA IF had FRESH. No idea. This beer had zero aroma, the faintest hint of bitterness, and was mostly sweet malt (yuk).

I'm sure Lagunitas deserves better than this rating but if they're going to ship their beer all over the place, hey this is the bitter truth.

crispinol, Aug 12, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

Color: nice clear copper

Smell: clean. not very fragrant. maybe only minute citrus. not really piny/hoppy. kinda starchy.

Taste: slight bitter and starchy aftertaste. tiny bit of sweetness. no remarkable flavors

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. crisp. light-med body

Notes: lagunitas doesnt impress me as a whole. there are pales that fit the IPA bill better than this.

Frosty80, Jan 14, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

the last time i had this on tap i loved it. had it on tap again, but after trying many other ipa's this one seems kind of mild. i will drink it again. lagunitas does make a quality product, so don't let my quest for super hoppy beer disuade you from trying it.

terenceokeefe, May 30, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

This brew was first Lagunitas I had that I did not care for. The beer starts off well enough, but it takes a bit of a nosedive the more you drink. The smell is of citrus--grapefruity and orangey hops with a solid malt backbone, and the taste is hoppy enough, however I've come to expect more from this brewery. Halfway through the bottle, as your palate becomes accustomed to the hops presence, the beer starts to taste sweeter and sweeter, so that by the time you're done with the first beer it's hard to tell you just finished an IPA. I think this has to do with the low resinous/aggressive hops used in this ale. The beer is probably a good "starter beer" for people who want to work their way up to some of the massive hop bombs (i.e. anything by Stone, Lagunitas's Hop Stoopid) but if you're looking for a beer to cool you off and remain bitter sip after sip, this is probably not for you.

TheNapkin, Aug 30, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

No bottling or best-by date. Why???

Pours a nice deep and shiny orange/amber, with a beautiful white,fluffy head that stays a good while. Nice creamy lacing on the glass. Wow,this should be the standard appearance-wise for any IPA. An automatic 5 here.

Very grassy and bland aroma,not much going on here. This might be because of the age/staleness,lack of BB date. Some light malts,faint hops but very dull. WTH???

Not too impressive here, only mildy hoppy, and lacking in other areas. Average medium mouthfeel. Heavy carbonation. Rather dull.

This is probably past it's prime, as I can taste staleness. Again,no bottling or best-by date, so I can't know for sure. Either way, this is the most unimpressive IPA I've had, outside of the appearance. Will try again if I can acquire a guaranteed fresh one.

happy4hoppybeer, Mar 30, 2011