Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001

45.6 IBU
Reviews: 1,648 | Hads: 7,986
2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

The Lagunitas IPA poured an orange-gold with a frothy white head that was slow to die. The beer looks fine and in fact, has an active look about it due to vibrant carbonation.

This beer just smells like an IPA, although it is obviously (by smell alone) more hoppy than a true India Pale Ale. I assumed this was going to be a very hoppy APA and the aroma predicts this...floral hops without a hint of malt. I'm a little worried about this.

And I had reason to be. The hop flavor is good, because hops are good. however, there's very little balance to found in this pale ale. The powerful hops are floating free without a grounding of malt...or anything else for that matter. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch (given the totality of the reviews, I really don't think so) but I don't taste the sweetness that other BA's note.

I do think there is a time and a place for overly hoppy beers...just not in my world. The Lagunitas IPA is a strong, bitter beer. For some people this is just what the doctor ordered. For me, it's an invitation to have a Full Sail Pale Ale....

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

This is almost what I would call a "light" IPA. The flavor is there but it seems like you have to work to get at it. The color is a very light orange, almost like a Pilsner. The smell has a light citrus note with a little warm bread in there. The flavor is mild and fleeting although still fairly good. Easy to drink. It's not very complex though which for this style might be an issue. I dunno. There are better IPAs out there for sure but this one would work for a person that wants a very light IPA. I wouldn't buy it again.

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a copper color with a decent initial head and a pretty good amount of lacing ends up on the glass. The aroma is quite mild consisting of citrus fruits with hints of caramel and malt but hardly any hops. A semi-spiced caramel malt character comes out first in the flavor followed by a sour hoppy grapefruit taste. A wet finish for an IPA. Interesting mix of malts and hops but not necessarily what I look for in an IPA. Decent enough beer but I probably won't get it again.

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured an opaque burnt orange color.
Not much aroma other than hops and malt.This is a average IPA. Drinkability is average. Not sure what the hype is over this IPA but its average to most West Coast IPAs, especially compared to PAC NW IPAs, Union Jack, Bear Republic, Stone and others.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured a orange-copper hue into my pint glass, there was not much of a head. The taste starts out rather balanced between hops and malt, but the finish is a bit like I would imagine hop flavored cough medicine to be like. Overall an unremarkable IPA, not bad, but definitely not something to write a request for the homebrew version of. No need to try again in the bottle, maybe i'd give it a 2nd chance on draft.

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

Hmmm.. I seem to be one of the few that aren't diggin on this brew...

Pours a crystal clear amber with a huge head... This is a beautiful brew, very inviting looking...

While the hops are definitely forward, there's something weird about this... There's a mustiness to this that seems out of place...

Again... While this is hoppy, they're musty hops... Not earthy... Musty... Perhaps I have an old bottle? But with NO FRESHNESS DATE how am I supposed to know????

Not overly impressed with this... If I get the chance to try it again, I probably will but as for now, I'm not impressed...

2.97/5  rDev -23.1%

Aroma: Light lemongrass, slightly piney character up front. A bready malt base asserts itself and there are some slight yeast notes as well which makes me think of fresh bread dough. Aroma is kind of muddled between the hop aromas, malt character, and yeast notes.

Appearance: Crystal clear golden-amber pour with a nice 1-finger off white head. Head retention is good and lacing is nice on the glass. Effervescence noted as it sits in the glass.

Flavor: Soft orange juice-like flavors up front with a jostling back and forth of juicy sweetness and pithy citrus bitterness. A fresh bread dough malt base again asserts itself. Firm hop bitterness leaves the beer appropriately balanced with more piney hop resin flavor after it warms. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is long, lingering, and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. No creaminess, oiliness, or alcohol heat.

Overall impression: A well crafted, balanced American IPA. Pretty tame even by Lagunitas current standards. Enjoyable but slips into the "sea of same-ness" with other American IPA's.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Originally sampled on 2 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This brew has a opaque burnt orange color.
Flavor: A nice up front hoppy taste w/ a clean finish is the best way to characterize the flavor.
Aroma: Not much aroma, but I don't have a great sense of smell
This is a good IPA, but I may need to re-evaluate it.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

A – Caramel-amber hue, with a fizzy and foamy off-white head, and sticky lace.

S –There is a ton of hops, mostly bitter and citric, and a pronounced caramel malt. The aroma is a harbinger of a caramel overload upcoming.

T – Some problems with this stuff. The hop palette, flavor wise, is basically grapefruity and rye-like, and lacking a floral/dank/pine element. Too much caramel flavor in this ale for my liking, it melds with the citrus to become mildly cloying, despite the big bitterness..

M – Syrupy for the style, but well-carbonated.

D – I am not a fan of this stuff; Lagunitas has done so many better things, I can't see why this recipe is their full-time IPA.

2.99/5  rDev -22.5%

A. Pours a copper hue with a thin whitehead that has some nice looking lacing and good retention.
S. Not much in the scent, but barely pick up some caramel, pine and citrus.
T. The taste starts out with some grapefruit and pine followed by some caramel and sweet malts which overtake the hops making this beer almost too sweet for an IPA.
M. The mouthfeel is a little watery and finishes with a dry mouth.
O. A rather disappointing offering from a brewery that has made some beers I really enjoy drinking. I'll stick with Stone and Sierra Nevada whenever I want a west coast IPA.

A surprising and unfortunately average offering from Lagunitas. Pours clear gold with an average white head. Decent pine and grapefruit aroma. Taste was disappointing. The resin is watery and the citrus is flat. Its there, but it tastes old or musty. Sorry.

Oddly a very clear beer. Golden in color with a sticky white head. Big citric hop nose with some malty notes masked below.

Slight sticky sweetness up front which is cut out almost instantly by a very big hop presence. Pine and citrus are the big flavors here, body attempts to be big and juicy but falls just short. Kind of a weird hybrid of an ipa and double ipa in my opinion.

Hop presence is pretty big as well as this beers bite but shys away from being harsh like some other ipas.

Slightly different and good but nothing out of this world, if you love the taste of those commonly used hops you'll like the big hop taste that's present.

Original Rating Date:
June 1, 2008

A decent IPA. The aroma is really grassy even for an IPA. Overall I enjoyed it, but it didn't have the fully rounded taste that other IPAs like Stone's has. A pretty plain, average IPA. I'll probably stick to Stone and Dogfish Head.

Solid beer - nothing that was truly exceptional in my view. Appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability all defined the classical IPA in my view. It'll be a solid choice down the road whenever I want a classic IPA without weird funkiness or over-the-top extremeness.

Can't go wrong with this brew.

Pours a pale orange color with a white head that goes away quick. A dry hopped aroma, with very small grapefruit notes in the nose. Tastes a bit sweet and a bitter end. A little piney even. It has a dry bitter aftertaste, but very smooth. A nice IPA, a nice bitter, and yet, not to extreme.

Not too much to compliment or rip on this beer about.Both smell and taste yields to peach.It is smooth with that same peachy finish.I would recommend to try one time but not to get your hopes of it's a pretty average ale.Personally I would drink if offered but I doubt I would ever again purchase this product.

Average across the board and completely what I was expecting. Poured a medium orange bronze colour with a a white, soapy head. Smelled of pine sap and grapefruit rind. Tasted of pine sap and grapefruit rind with a touch a maltiness. Another hoppy American IPA of which there are thousands (well, probably hundreds, but you know what I mean). Not a bad beer, but this style is simply so over-done. A decent American IPA nonetheless, provided you enjoy the style.

2 12 ounce bottles purchased from a local convenience store, chilled to approximately 50 degrees, and poured into a pint glass. About the best thing I can say about this beer is that it's the least objectionable West Coast IPA I've had. Glad I tried it, but I'll not be having it again.

3.01/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

this is a weird IPA, it smells kinda soapy,and also at first reminded me of ovaltine. I guess thats some kind malt. Its even a little reminiscent of a swartz beer with its sweet malty smell. basically no hops for the nose.

syrupy taste like a swartz beer, with a little bit of hops finish. bees wax.

sticky mouth feel but still light. carbonation in minimal.

overall Not a huge fan of this. First beer I've had from lagunitas that I wouldn't recomend or buy again.

3.02/5  rDev -21.8%

12 ounce bottle from Cooke's

Poured into a pint glass with not much of a head

Not enough hops going on in this one for me, but my bottle was a week or two past the best by date, so that might have been why

Cannot complain about the price though, 6 dollars for a 6 pack

Average American IPA in my opinion

3.02/5  rDev -21.8%

L - light golden, pilsner like
S - Nice fruity and hop resin
T - kinda just tasted like a lawn mowing beer that went bad
F - watery
O - Heard this was a good one, can't say I agree. Great smell!

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Copper color, clear, big two finger head lingering on top.

S - Smells like grapefruit and hops.

T - It tasted very similar to the smell.

D - Easy to drink, goes down smooth, bitter from the hops and grapefruit.

Overall, this was a decent IPA but its nothing special and does not have much flavor to it.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

Bottle: Poured a clear orangey color ale with a medium foamy head with average retention and lacing. Aroma of metallic hops with some caramel malt. Taste is a mix between sweet malt with some metallic hops and a bitter finish. Body is about average. Overall, this is an OK IPA but far from being great and lacking balance between malt and hops.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A-- Poured golden brown. Half finger of white head. Very little carbonation shown and nice lacing through drinking.

S-- Grapefruit, pine, sweet carmel, some honey as well. Very sweet smelling.

T-- Hop flavors not there at all. Very sweet and a bit of a copper taste.

M-- Medium carbonation. Pine and soft grapefruit are in back of the mouth. A little bit tingly on the tongue.

D-- One was more than enough. Honestly thought very old. ABV was well hidden but there was a lot of carmel in this. No hop profile besides small bits in this.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

I had it on tap. As someone stated earlier, it's a bit more watery for ipa's I'm used to. The color is a little lighter than most ipa's. I would pass on this if most other ipa's are available on tap. Not the biggest fan

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company