Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
divineaudio

3.5/5  rDev -10%

tulip

a - pours a standard light amber color with a finger or so of coarse, off white head. retention is pretty good and leaves a thin sheet of lacing on one side of the glass.

s - citrus, slight floral hop character, biscuity malt.

t - bready and sweet malt character up front with a typical slap of piney bitterness in back. maybe a note of honey in there? seems sweeter than many other ipa's. definitely not getting the "raging hop character" they speak of on the label though.

m - firmly medium bodied with just the right amount of co2.

o - enjoyable and better than average for the style, but not breaking any new ground for me. would buy it again, though nothing stands out enough to make it worth seeking out.

11-01-2011 15:11:38 | More by divineaudio
osusullins

This is a good IPA. Nothing super special, but an easy to drink decent example of the style.

Pours an orange haze with a nice off white head. Good lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pretty much all grapefruit and hop.

Taste is the same as the nose. Citrus, mostly grapefruit and some lemon zest, dominate the palate. Medium bodied and easy to session on IPA.

10-31-2011 04:23:54 | More by osusullins
StevenBilodeau

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a straw gold color.

Nice head, good retention... good lace.

Aromatic, grassy... hop forward. Smooth, nice bitter finish.
Full bodied for IPA, I like this.

Overall I feel that this is a good regional IPA.

I would say that I enjoyed this brew.

Worth the buy.

10-21-2011 02:22:47 | More by StevenBilodeau
firedog23

United Kingdom (England)

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my go to beer if I was t have one. It is well balanced and full of flavr on both the malt and hops.

Pours a nice deep golden color with a one fingerhead on it. It is full of the American IPA flavor you want but is not over the top. It finishes well and always leads to a second glass.

I wish I could get this in England as I have to wait until I go on leave to the States to have some. Makes it worth the wait.

Just a well made beer.

10-19-2011 23:58:13 | More by firedog23
haywire77

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer bottled on August 19th of 2011. Poured into my Hobgoblin pint glass.

Beer poured a beautiful golden honey orange with copper highlights. 1 full inch of soapy white head receded to a nice full cap in about 5 minutes. Decent but spotty lacing.

Smell is awesome. Perfect example of how an American IPA should smell. Big grapefruit citrus and grassy hops. I can still smell it after I take the glass away from my nose. Did someone pour some of this in my nostrils while I wasn't looking?

Taste is a little bit of a letdown compared to the smell, but solid none the less. Piney hops and citrus at the front, but much more balanced than the nose led me to believe. Maybe a sweet malt character that carries the bitterness away right after the initial taste. The aftertaste is caramel malt and almost a metallic tinge.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. Not a trace of the hop oils on the tongue like the best IPAs leave. That metallic aftertaste plays a part here also.

Overall I like this brew a lot. I think I could session it due to the decently low abv and the lightness of the body. Lagunitas has not let me down yet.

10-17-2011 20:25:51 | More by haywire77
BucannonXC5

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at San Diego Brewing Company. Color was caramel amber. About ¾ inches of head once I got it. A healthy amount of lacing. Lots of frosty film on the sides.

Smelled sweet citrus, mainly grapefruit. Also some orange and floral hops in there.

A slow-moving taste that rolled on the tongue. Unlike the nose. Tasted light grapefruit. Pretty hoppy, but not as bitter as I expected.

Medium body. Average carbonation. Long finish. Consistent throughout.

I have to say I enjoyed this beer. Not a bad IPA.

10-17-2011 07:13:05 | More by BucannonXC5
dudelove7485

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Very clear dark amber in color with a ½ inch bubbly, off-white head. Nose has piney hops, citrus and a bready malt back. Initially, the taste is aggressive and bitter with the hops, though that is quickly balanced by caramel malt sweetness. Light-medium body with mid-hi carbonation. Creamy on the tongue with a clean, satisfying finish. It has a great drinkability and although it really should not be a session beer with a 6.2% ABV, I have made it one on a number of occasions. Not my favorite IPA (Smuttynose IPA), but I will definitely order this beer out again or bring a 6’er home to slam with a pizza.

visit my website selfhatinghipster.com for more beer reviews, music, books and more...

10-17-2011 00:32:47 | More by dudelove7485
ryanmc

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the smoothest IPA I've tasted to date. It has an interesting flavor profile without overwhelming the palate. As an IPA, the level of 'hop' is balanced well by the addition of malt. I would recommend this beer to anyone looking to enjoy more than one IPA.

10-11-2011 02:15:06 | More by ryanmc
JohnnyChicago

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler pint.

A: Pours a dark amber/light garnet with a finger and half of off-white head.

S: Dry grassy, piney hops are prominent, in true west-coast fashion. A tad of caramel sweetness reminds you this is beer, not hop tea.

T: Nice bitterness up front. Hops carry through the entire taste and leave a resiny aftertaste. Sweetness nicely balances the frontal hop assault.

D: Medium-strength IPA with appropriate drinkability for the ABV. Like all IPAs, I could have glass after glass of this, but some spicy food or BBQ would certainly make this more enjoyable...good thing I have some Mexican right here!

Overall: Yeah, its a good IPA, to be sure. I'm just still stuck on why Lagunitas feels the need to have a nearly identical APA and IPA. I had both of them side-by-side and besides a few points on the SRM scale, their pretty damn similar. Good flavours all around, but half an "overall" point will be taken away for being unoriginal.

10-10-2011 12:37:07 | More by JohnnyChicago
DM1293

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Pint of the IPA will cure what ails ya. Or just pair well with a pizza.

Appearance - Rich orange-brown color. I could describe it as pretty much the iconic-looking fall drink.

Smell - Smells very light, very mellow. Definitely some hopiness to it.

Taste - This is a very perplexing IPA to me. I drink it, and its up-front with its bitterness...and then its gone. Its like the hops are ninjas, striking hard on the palate and then leaving no aftertaste. There is also a seemingly sharp, citrusy taste to it as well. As an IPA, this isn't that bad for someone who normally doesn't drink them. Its well-rounded, not a tongue-wrenching aftertaste, strong and bold but by no means imposing.

Mouthfeel - leaves a layer after, but isn't as bitter as I expected.

Overall - ...its a very drinkable, well rounded IPA. I don't think its the best in its category, but its by no means average. Pour yourself a pint if you're an IPA fan (and even if you're not), its worth a try.

10-09-2011 00:39:45 | More by DM1293
FreshHawk

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - Hazy copper orange color with an average sized, creamy, smooth white head. Average retention with patchy lace.

S - Sweet pale malt is pretty strong. Some sweet and bitter citrus and pine. A little on the sweet side and lacking a bit on the hop aroma and it just doesn't have that extra umph that I get in some IPAs.

T - Similar to the nose. Sweet bready and biscuity malt. Slightly astringent bitterness along with pine and some citrus (grapefruit/grapefruit rind and lemon). Caramel on the finish. Overall it is pretty sweet but has a bitter kick to it as well.

M - Medium body with average carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

D - The mix of flavors didn't quite do it for me. Not overly sweet or bitter, but the hops were just a bit muted. Fairly easy to drink but it didn't really interest me too much.

Notes: Not a bad beer but I would have liked a bit more hop flavors. A little on the malty side with a fair bitter kick. Not exactly what I want in an IPA (especially one from California) but not bad overall.

10-08-2011 08:17:57 | More by FreshHawk
BJA

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: The beer is a golden orange color and incredibly crisp and clear (extra points for that). I got ½ inch of head on a light pour. Lots of bubbles both large and small. Head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a nice amount of lacing on the glass. A solid amount of lacing was left on the glass as I drank it down.

S: A nice smell of piney, citrusy hops with a bit of biscuit like malt. A bit of spice in there too. The scent finishes clean.

T: Like the smell. The citrus seems to come at the end. The hop bitterness is not overpowering (48 IBUs I believe and the beer seems to be built very well. I feel like there are a lot more flavors going on, but my limited experience in describing beers and tastes is preventing me from articulating what these are.

M: It’s pretty light and crisp for an IPA. Perhaps the yeast has something to do with this? The finish is pretty short and clean for an IPA.

O: I’m near the end of my first 12 pack of this beer. I love it. It’s easy to drink, pleases the hop head in me, and is built incredibly well. I appreciate IPAs that pull off a really clean finish. This one does that. A new favorite IPA.

10-08-2011 00:54:47 | More by BJA
Kinsman

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Nice golden orange color. Little bit of haze and a creamy white head makes a nice but brief appearance.

Aroma shows a good bit of citrusy hop notes and floral character. Some malty undertones add a bit of sweetness to the beer.

Not the most bold or aggressive IPA I've come across but has plenty of citrus and some piney goodness to please. Malt stands out in the back but lets the hops to most of the work.

Mouthfeel is light with a bit of a creamy texture to it. Overall, a fine IPA. Nothing thats going to destroy you palate with hops but still a nice refreshing hop forward beer.

10-07-2011 23:27:26 | More by Kinsman
CheezyBlaster

3.5/5  rDev -10%

You may like this. I thought it was just okay.

This IPA has quite a fruity, though simple, nose. Pear, funk, dates maybe? I don't smell any citrus except a little syrupy mandarin.

Where are the hops? So mild. Lots of sweet fruit though. Fig, mandarin orange, malt, caramel. Weird IPA. Sort of malty and bready aftertaste.

It's a decent bev, but there are way beter IPAs out there.

10-07-2011 00:40:36 | More by CheezyBlaster
xnicknj

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

on tap at good dog in philly

Pours an almost clear burnt golden color with a crop of white head, plenty of filmy retention on top with a few spots of lacing left behind on the glass.

Soft citrus hop presence, some grapefruit and orange peel. Faint tropical fruit touches, light bready sweetness in the malt as well. Nothing too spectacular.

Bitter bite of hops up front quickly fades out. Citrus and grapefruit flavors seem to be understated. Bready and toasted grain in the backbone with a faint caramel sweetness. Pithy bitter citrus flavor in the finish.

Medium body, higher carbonation, prickly and dry on the tongue. Feels a bit watery and plain for an IPA, especially for a West coast brewery. There's too many better options out there.

10-06-2011 14:23:12 | More by xnicknj
MbpBugeye

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
This is a pretty pale colored IPA. Its a straw yellow-gold. The head is tight, but short lived. Lacing is nice though.

Aroma
Very floral, which is unique from the pine and citrus bombs of today's IPA. Some orange blossom and honeysuckle are called to mind. Malts are there, but are light at pilsnery.

Taste
Green, floral and sweet. The hops are in the front, but they are lighter and not very aggressive. Bitterness is only a balancing component. Tangerine builds the body of the fruity hops.

Mouthfeel
Thinner bodied than I would expect from and IPA, but this is a smaller, lower gravity IPA. Carbonation is sharp, due in part to the watery body.

Overall
A nice, drinkable beer. I'd gladly drink this, but I won't pick it over many other IPAs. A good flagship nonetheless.

10-03-2011 02:01:51 | More by MbpBugeye
damndirtyape

12oz bottle (no clearly identifiable date - lots of batch and lot stamps though) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear pale copper color. Maybe a hint of rose gold when held up to the light. 1/4" white head upon pouring died down to a persistent 1/16" white foam across the top. Persistent delicate lacing (strands) noted.

Smell: Citrus (grapefruit), pine, malt, maybe a hint of mango.

Taste: Quick citrus hit on tongue (grapefruit, orange), then the malt backbone, and then a piney + grapefruit bitter finish. Hop forward, but not overpowering. Well balanced but showcasing the hops.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, and despite the hops, only a little bit of hop oil cling to the teeth. Carbonation a little bit on the high side so it makes it a little difficult to work out what the thickness of the beer is. Goes down easy is about all I can say about it.

Overall / Drinkability: As I expected, it went fast. I continue to be greatly impressed with this brewery - haven't had anything yet that disappointed. A good hoppy ale that isn't a bruising hop smackdown on my tongue, drinkable enough that I want another one, and it went well with food (Indian - Tikka Masala). A solid good beer.

09-24-2011 22:58:51 | More by damndirtyape
beerdown77

This pours hazy orange with light, fluffy head and active bubbles. There is only a little bit of lacing, but the retention is good. The nose is fresh and smells a lot like orange citrus with a little bit of graininess. There is enough of a crisp, bitter bite in the flavor…but a surprising amount of cereal malt in the aftertaste to balance it out. I like that the malt is presence, but not in a sweet syrupy way. This beer is very “approachable”. It’s easy to have a couple, and I feel like even a not-so-adventurous beer drinker could enjoy one. This is like a pumped up Sierra Nevada’s Pale Ale, very west coast in style and appearance.

09-24-2011 22:45:25 | More by beerdown77
SawDog505

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into my 13 oz tulip. A light orange yellow with a 2 inch fluffy white head. Smell is grapefruit, lemon, some grass, and pine. Taste is all that, maybe a little more pronounced than the smell gives. Drinks pretty easy, solid body and enough carbonation. It is a nice IPA. As always, a very good price.

09-24-2011 16:30:19 | More by SawDog505
2xHops

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

I was not overly impressed with this beer.

The appearance was good. The smell? Alright. The taste? It was underwhelming for me. For me, an IPA should be hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, and I felt that the flavors coming from this beer started to die off right after I started to drink and swallow. The mouthfeel's just right where it should be.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. I felt like there was not enough hops to make it stand out. The alcohol did not come through strongly, and I think that's a good thing. It's drinkable, and for many people, it would be a decent beer to have. I just feel that in the world of craft beer, there's way too many good IPAs to choose from that would kick this beer off a pedestal any day of the week.

09-24-2011 05:04:35 | More by 2xHops
AleEvangelist

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Lagunitas really makes some spectacular beer. Great to see that a style like IPA gets the Lagunitas lovin' like I expect.

Pours a light straw color. Looks refreshing. Head is somewhat minimal, but enough to set off the wonderful pine, citrus, and cut grass aroma.

Flavor is wonderfully hoppy. Slightly on the bitter side of balanced, with a slight malt sweetness and that wonderful underlying flavor that I get with all Lagunitas beers to pull it together.

An excellent style done perfectly.

09-21-2011 01:05:12 | More by AleEvangelist
corylew

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Solid IPA. The hops should be the spotlight of this beer, and they were. A quick tart of bittering hops smooths out to the citruisy flavors of the later additions. A little heavy in body for an IPA my opinion, but it is a 6.2% beer, so we expect a little bit of thickness. Looks pretty good in the glass, empties back out decently well. Definitely not a bad example of the style, but not really something Id hop around with my five dollar bill trying to get the bartenders attention for.

09-19-2011 03:57:49 | More by corylew
dannydetox

3.58/5  rDev -8%

have had a few of these over the years so i reckon i might as well write one up. drinking a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. coppery-orange color with a decent inch of head that hasn't totally subsided halfway through the glass. i smell a much earthier hop coming off this ipa; damp pine needles maybe, and something a little sweet and tangy though not quite citrus. the taste reinforces the earth qualities and molasses with respectable bitterness. creamier mouthfeel that doesn't dry out until the end. i personally prefer the aggressive west coast citrus style, so this one ranks lower on my list.

09-19-2011 02:47:23 | More by dannydetox
Gatch

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Nice copper hue with a thick, fast-rising and fast-fading head.

S - One of the more fragrant beers I've had the pleasure of putting my nose into recently. Bright, crisp, flowery, sweet, sugary. Puts a smile on your face. Very inviting. A bit of malt to balance it out with a very slight scent of alcohol.

T - Wow. A great ratio of malt to hops, with hops obviously stealing the show. Fresh, piney, woody, sweet, delicious. Nectar can sum this beer up in one word. A bit of alcohol lingers as the beer warms. This is the epitome of California IPA's, brewed with some of the best hops on the planet.

M - Thick and creamy but not heavy. Fantastic body. Sweet malt lingers on the palate to remind you that another sip is in order.

Such an amazing IPA. I had it on draft in San Diego over Labor Day weekend and waited to review it once I had it in a bottle. I am now a Lagunitas fan.

09-15-2011 09:07:07 | More by Gatch
blackcompg

Poured from their 12oz bottle into mt 12oz beer glass -

Appearance - Poured a quick finger of tight off-white head, color is a brilliant orange amber, lots of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass. Nice looking IPA. Nice lacing well into the glass.

Smell - Sweet citrus, pineapple and grapefruit, and some slight baked bread.

Taste - Wow - lots of sweet citrus flavors, ripe pineapple, grapefruit..ooh, then citrus goes from the sweet fruit meats to the rind, some dryness and a little pine.

Mouthfeel - Really smooth, almost silky in the first half of the sip, then carb crispness and tingle, then a definite drying and bittering of the palate - really a nice progression.

Overall - I really think this is a solid IPA. Granted it starts out a bit on the sweeter side (which I prefer), you still get the nice bitterness and drying pine hops in the end and long into the finish. Really a nice IPA that I will enjoy again.

09-15-2011 03:16:47 | More by blackcompg