Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
sacrelicio

11-14-2011 08:57:32 | More by sacrelicio
beerme411

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

11-14-2011 06:57:41 | More by beerme411
GreenJetta912

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance is good. Small column of head (about a finger). Nice deep sparkling golden color. Tiny little "floaties" of suspended yeast. Fantastic lacing and average retention.

Smell is malty sweet with piney and citrusy hops. honey note.

Taste is refreshingly sweet at first and then it's time to weed out the hopheads from the non-believers. Columbus hops maybe? Either way, some hop variety with high Alpha Acid content and it was used liberally. This is great hoppy west coast beer. Aside from the main event (hops), there are notes of: caramel, butterscotch, honey, piney/evergreen-type wood, dark candy.

MF - Crisp and refreshing and good drinkability if you are not put off by hops. This is a good "summer day IPA" mouthfeel.

Finish is intensely bitter and I mean that in the best way possible.

Notes: I have nothing but good things to say about this but I am a huge hophead. Some of my buddies here on the east coast would call this one out of balance. I say beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder. I might seek alternatives if you're not a huge hops fan.

11-13-2011 20:47:53 | More by GreenJetta912
Tschnab

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A- orange copper color, tight bubbles form a white head a bout a finger high, lace rings appear sparodically.

S- very bitter grapefruit rind and pine tree, light sweetness, some fruit.

T- the flavor profile is pretty much the standard ipa flavor. Very bitter, bright, fresh tasting. It is a good ipa.

O- This is a good beer. While it's flavors are standard it is executed well and is a reliable session ipa.

11-12-2011 14:34:18 | More by Tschnab
foles

Australia

Pours a fireburst orange with a nice creamy head that settles into fine whisp. Mild hoppy haze. Moderate herbal pine resin nose, with a little earthiness. This is a very drinkable IPA, hoppy and tasty without being aggressive. Very pleasant - bordering a pale ale, but this is a good thing.

11-11-2011 12:53:24 | More by foles
NWer

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Draft pour at restaurant.
Indistinguishable pour typical of restaurant pours. Shouldn't hold this against them.
Mild citrus taste. Typical IPA that was enjoyable enough but not memorable.
Of all the Lagunitas beers I've had this is the most forgettable.
Nothing here folks. Time to move on.

11-11-2011 04:02:44 | More by NWer
sevenarts

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Lovely golden brown with a modest head.

S: A nice clean floral hoppy aroma, very crisp and strong.

T/M: The hops are clear and up-front, a blend of floral and citrus twang. Very refreshing and light despite the strong flavors, this goes down easy and is really delicious.

O: Just a delicious, fairly simple and direct IPA that would be especially great on a hot summer day.

11-09-2011 00:31:25 | More by sevenarts
atr2605

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A-pours a transparent golden/light copper with a white head with pretty decent retention
S-lots of citrus and a little pine, subtle malt in the background
T-A nice blend of citrus and a slight pine flavor balanced very well with the malt leaving a clean orange flavor on the palate in the finish
M-medium bodied
O-Very enjoyable IPA, nothing crazy, but great taste

11-08-2011 01:09:01 | More by atr2605
JWU

12oz. bottle poured into my trusty mug.

A- a translucent deep gold with orange hints. Nice thick off-white head, and good lacing down the glass.

S- Smells of fresh orange rind, and just a hint of pine. Really gets the mouth watering.

T- Very nice interplay between the sweet malts and the citric hops. The Hops are very orange-citric in their taste, not so much grapefruit or pineapple. Malts are rather straightforward with a basic balancing sweetness. Taste strikes me as more of a Pale Ale.

M- slick, but quickly dries as a good IPA should. Medium carbonation.

O- a good, verging on great IPA, but could just use a little something extra.

11-06-2011 19:32:24 | More by JWU
GossageBrewery

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy gold/orange color. Very nice thick, off white head, very good retention and high marks for lacing. Aroma of this American IPA is wonderful highest marks. The nose is full of pine and citrus. The Hops are the star of the show with this brew. There is some slight grainy undertones that are able to sneak through the Hop Overload. The taste of the AIPA is as the nose suggests, lots of pine, citrus- Hops dominate the flavor. There is a malted grain backbone that gives way to a bitter, creamy smooth finish. This IPA is like drinking Silk. So So Smooth. You have heard of love making music? This is a love making beer- I will have this at the ready bedside the next time I take the wife to pleasure town. Very well balanced- Absolute treat for hop heads.

11-02-2011 18:36:21 | More by GossageBrewery
taigor

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a regular pint glass.

A - Poured clear amber copper color with medium head that quickly dissipated leaving little lacing around the glass.

S - Mostly floral and hoppy scents with slight scents of caramel and malts.

T - Mostly hops and bitter citrus. Slightly sweet due to brown sugar and honey with slight hints of malts and caramel.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

O - Very good and enjoyable IPA. Not overly complex but that is exactly what makes it so good. I would recommend it.

11-02-2011 15:08:13 | More by taigor
divineaudio

3.5/5  rDev -10%

tulip

a - pours a standard light amber color with a finger or so of coarse, off white head. retention is pretty good and leaves a thin sheet of lacing on one side of the glass.

s - citrus, slight floral hop character, biscuity malt.

t - bready and sweet malt character up front with a typical slap of piney bitterness in back. maybe a note of honey in there? seems sweeter than many other ipa's. definitely not getting the "raging hop character" they speak of on the label though.

m - firmly medium bodied with just the right amount of co2.

o - enjoyable and better than average for the style, but not breaking any new ground for me. would buy it again, though nothing stands out enough to make it worth seeking out.

11-01-2011 15:11:38 | More by divineaudio
osusullins

This is a good IPA. Nothing super special, but an easy to drink decent example of the style.

Pours an orange haze with a nice off white head. Good lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pretty much all grapefruit and hop.

Taste is the same as the nose. Citrus, mostly grapefruit and some lemon zest, dominate the palate. Medium bodied and easy to session on IPA.

10-31-2011 04:23:54 | More by osusullins
StevenBilodeau

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Pours a straw gold color.

Nice head, good retention... good lace.

Aromatic, grassy... hop forward. Smooth, nice bitter finish.
Full bodied for IPA, I like this.

Overall I feel that this is a good regional IPA.

I would say that I enjoyed this brew.

Worth the buy.

10-21-2011 02:22:47 | More by StevenBilodeau
firedog23

United Kingdom (England)

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my go to beer if I was t have one. It is well balanced and full of flavr on both the malt and hops.

Pours a nice deep golden color with a one fingerhead on it. It is full of the American IPA flavor you want but is not over the top. It finishes well and always leads to a second glass.

I wish I could get this in England as I have to wait until I go on leave to the States to have some. Makes it worth the wait.

Just a well made beer.

10-19-2011 23:58:13 | More by firedog23
haywire77

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Beer bottled on August 19th of 2011. Poured into my Hobgoblin pint glass.

Beer poured a beautiful golden honey orange with copper highlights. 1 full inch of soapy white head receded to a nice full cap in about 5 minutes. Decent but spotty lacing.

Smell is awesome. Perfect example of how an American IPA should smell. Big grapefruit citrus and grassy hops. I can still smell it after I take the glass away from my nose. Did someone pour some of this in my nostrils while I wasn't looking?

Taste is a little bit of a letdown compared to the smell, but solid none the less. Piney hops and citrus at the front, but much more balanced than the nose led me to believe. Maybe a sweet malt character that carries the bitterness away right after the initial taste. The aftertaste is caramel malt and almost a metallic tinge.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. Not a trace of the hop oils on the tongue like the best IPAs leave. That metallic aftertaste plays a part here also.

Overall I like this brew a lot. I think I could session it due to the decently low abv and the lightness of the body. Lagunitas has not let me down yet.

10-17-2011 20:25:51 | More by haywire77
BucannonXC5

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at San Diego Brewing Company. Color was caramel amber. About ¾ inches of head once I got it. A healthy amount of lacing. Lots of frosty film on the sides.

Smelled sweet citrus, mainly grapefruit. Also some orange and floral hops in there.

A slow-moving taste that rolled on the tongue. Unlike the nose. Tasted light grapefruit. Pretty hoppy, but not as bitter as I expected.

Medium body. Average carbonation. Long finish. Consistent throughout.

I have to say I enjoyed this beer. Not a bad IPA.

10-17-2011 07:13:05 | More by BucannonXC5
dudelove7485

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Very clear dark amber in color with a ½ inch bubbly, off-white head. Nose has piney hops, citrus and a bready malt back. Initially, the taste is aggressive and bitter with the hops, though that is quickly balanced by caramel malt sweetness. Light-medium body with mid-hi carbonation. Creamy on the tongue with a clean, satisfying finish. It has a great drinkability and although it really should not be a session beer with a 6.2% ABV, I have made it one on a number of occasions. Not my favorite IPA (Smuttynose IPA), but I will definitely order this beer out again or bring a 6’er home to slam with a pizza.

visit my website selfhatinghipster.com for more beer reviews, music, books and more...

10-17-2011 00:32:47 | More by dudelove7485
ryanmc

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the smoothest IPA I've tasted to date. It has an interesting flavor profile without overwhelming the palate. As an IPA, the level of 'hop' is balanced well by the addition of malt. I would recommend this beer to anyone looking to enjoy more than one IPA.

10-11-2011 02:15:06 | More by ryanmc
JohnnyChicago

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler pint.

A: Pours a dark amber/light garnet with a finger and half of off-white head.

S: Dry grassy, piney hops are prominent, in true west-coast fashion. A tad of caramel sweetness reminds you this is beer, not hop tea.

T: Nice bitterness up front. Hops carry through the entire taste and leave a resiny aftertaste. Sweetness nicely balances the frontal hop assault.

D: Medium-strength IPA with appropriate drinkability for the ABV. Like all IPAs, I could have glass after glass of this, but some spicy food or BBQ would certainly make this more enjoyable...good thing I have some Mexican right here!

Overall: Yeah, its a good IPA, to be sure. I'm just still stuck on why Lagunitas feels the need to have a nearly identical APA and IPA. I had both of them side-by-side and besides a few points on the SRM scale, their pretty damn similar. Good flavours all around, but half an "overall" point will be taken away for being unoriginal.

10-10-2011 12:37:07 | More by JohnnyChicago
DM1293

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Pint of the IPA will cure what ails ya. Or just pair well with a pizza.

Appearance - Rich orange-brown color. I could describe it as pretty much the iconic-looking fall drink.

Smell - Smells very light, very mellow. Definitely some hopiness to it.

Taste - This is a very perplexing IPA to me. I drink it, and its up-front with its bitterness...and then its gone. Its like the hops are ninjas, striking hard on the palate and then leaving no aftertaste. There is also a seemingly sharp, citrusy taste to it as well. As an IPA, this isn't that bad for someone who normally doesn't drink them. Its well-rounded, not a tongue-wrenching aftertaste, strong and bold but by no means imposing.

Mouthfeel - leaves a layer after, but isn't as bitter as I expected.

Overall - ...its a very drinkable, well rounded IPA. I don't think its the best in its category, but its by no means average. Pour yourself a pint if you're an IPA fan (and even if you're not), its worth a try.

10-09-2011 00:39:45 | More by DM1293
FreshHawk

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - Hazy copper orange color with an average sized, creamy, smooth white head. Average retention with patchy lace.

S - Sweet pale malt is pretty strong. Some sweet and bitter citrus and pine. A little on the sweet side and lacking a bit on the hop aroma and it just doesn't have that extra umph that I get in some IPAs.

T - Similar to the nose. Sweet bready and biscuity malt. Slightly astringent bitterness along with pine and some citrus (grapefruit/grapefruit rind and lemon). Caramel on the finish. Overall it is pretty sweet but has a bitter kick to it as well.

M - Medium body with average carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

D - The mix of flavors didn't quite do it for me. Not overly sweet or bitter, but the hops were just a bit muted. Fairly easy to drink but it didn't really interest me too much.

Notes: Not a bad beer but I would have liked a bit more hop flavors. A little on the malty side with a fair bitter kick. Not exactly what I want in an IPA (especially one from California) but not bad overall.

10-08-2011 08:17:57 | More by FreshHawk
BJA

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: The beer is a golden orange color and incredibly crisp and clear (extra points for that). I got ½ inch of head on a light pour. Lots of bubbles both large and small. Head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a nice amount of lacing on the glass. A solid amount of lacing was left on the glass as I drank it down.

S: A nice smell of piney, citrusy hops with a bit of biscuit like malt. A bit of spice in there too. The scent finishes clean.

T: Like the smell. The citrus seems to come at the end. The hop bitterness is not overpowering (48 IBUs I believe and the beer seems to be built very well. I feel like there are a lot more flavors going on, but my limited experience in describing beers and tastes is preventing me from articulating what these are.

M: It’s pretty light and crisp for an IPA. Perhaps the yeast has something to do with this? The finish is pretty short and clean for an IPA.

O: I’m near the end of my first 12 pack of this beer. I love it. It’s easy to drink, pleases the hop head in me, and is built incredibly well. I appreciate IPAs that pull off a really clean finish. This one does that. A new favorite IPA.

10-08-2011 00:54:47 | More by BJA
Kinsman

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Nice golden orange color. Little bit of haze and a creamy white head makes a nice but brief appearance.

Aroma shows a good bit of citrusy hop notes and floral character. Some malty undertones add a bit of sweetness to the beer.

Not the most bold or aggressive IPA I've come across but has plenty of citrus and some piney goodness to please. Malt stands out in the back but lets the hops to most of the work.

Mouthfeel is light with a bit of a creamy texture to it. Overall, a fine IPA. Nothing thats going to destroy you palate with hops but still a nice refreshing hop forward beer.

10-07-2011 23:27:26 | More by Kinsman
CheezyBlaster

3.5/5  rDev -10%

You may like this. I thought it was just okay.

This IPA has quite a fruity, though simple, nose. Pear, funk, dates maybe? I don't smell any citrus except a little syrupy mandarin.

Where are the hops? So mild. Lots of sweet fruit though. Fig, mandarin orange, malt, caramel. Weird IPA. Sort of malty and bready aftertaste.

It's a decent bev, but there are way beter IPAs out there.

10-07-2011 00:40:36 | More by CheezyBlaster