Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
3.4/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle poured into tulip glass.

A- Light amber in color, not much of a head or carbonation.

S- Straightforward West Coast IPA. Light pine and citrus. Very little malt.

T- Neither really very hoppy nor malty- almost like a "light" IPA. Fairly bitter up front, but mellow and crisp on the back end.

M- Very crisp and light for a beer of this style. Somewhat dry but there is a touch of the resinous, hoppy finish that one would expect.

D- The drinkability of this beer might be its greatest strength. I feel like I could put a few of these away on a hot day. I wonder whether my stubborn preference for Hop Stoopid has influenced my impressions of this beer. It is a very tasty IPA regardless.

Hamsteroceros, Oct 13, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased from Whole Foods in Los Altos, where it was taken from the chilled beer section. Stamp says 236, which by their Julian code indicates a bottled-on date of August 24th.

A: Pours a clear, rich amber body. The head is a bit disappointing, rising to a finger and then vanishing pretty much entirely. No lacing, no collar.... Weird.

S: Mmm. Kind of the quintessential West Coast IPA hop varietals: grapefruit pith, orange rind, and a touch of pine. I want to stress the 'rind' part of the orange; I've noticed some beers have a really vivid citrus bouquet that is almost pure fruit juice and pulp, but this is not quite as 'pure.' It's not a criticism; I'm just pointing out the differences.

T: A good balance of hop flavor and bitterness. As noted, orange rind and grapefruit pith translate well from the aroma. Burps in particular accentuate the citrus qualities. The aftertaste is pine needles. It's not a malty beer, but there is enough sweetness to prevent the bitterness from sticking and getting too harsh.

M: I'll give it points on mouthfeel just for having the right balance between lingering bitterness and sugars. It has just a touch of enamel-peeling ripping-ness at the end. I wouldn't expect more out of an IPA, as this is supposed to be an homage to non-beer-geek drinkers.

D: I enjoy this beer and buy it fairly often for the value, but I admit there are better beers out there that I'd pay a premium for.

Arbitrator, Sep 29, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

a = medium head, slowly receded, decent lacing,light amber color
s = mild hoppy floral scent
t = follows suit with the smell with a little more floral than the scent would hint at
m = nice medium-light body with decent amount of oily feel
d = worth a try, might be your thing but i think ill keep trying some new ipas before i come back to this one.

wallaceandvomit, Sep 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

An ale from Lagunitas. Something to look forward to to be sure, but how much and why.

I was really sure I had reviewed this beer before so imagine my surprise when I found that to be false. Many of their Frank Zappa themed beers hit my palate prior to my reviewing days. Apparently I never revisited their stable beers for review. I shall now rectify this for IPA.

I choose a tulip glass for this review and note the ale is a deep golden color and clear. The head is tan with a yellow hue. Lacing and head retention are not great but there is some there in both cases.

Nose is big grapefruit, this would've been one of my very favorite beers two years ago (had I known of its existence) due to the citrus so up front and potent. I spent many a dollar trying to find THIS IPA. There is a lack of maltieness in the nose, or defined maltieness, but there is a subtle sweetness. Alcohol wafts but is not unpleasantly present. A good swirl releases much more of the malty depth and reminds me that beer is, predominantly, malt even if the hops have been given top billing.

Tastes are tart, bitter , sweet; grapefruit and chardonnay flavors joust and tumble through the finish. Grain and a real lupulin bite kick in before the tangy citrus finish.

Mouthfeel is light but high carbonation keeps things lively and the dry finish lends to drinkability.

I am going to make this one my 'go-to' West Coast IPA. It is my new exemplar for the style with its dry hoppieness and clear leading role for the citrusy-goodness that is hops.

A big Slainte to you on this one.

meeekyh, Sep 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Drank this one at the end of my IPA season.

The beer pours a nice hazy golden color with a thin white head (about one finger's width wide). The head disapears rapidly, but lace remains until the end of the beer.

The aroma is hoppy (of course), but sweet with a hint of pine.

The intial taste is bitter, but not as bitter as most IPAs.

The middle of this beer is very well balanced, light, and very smooth for an IPA. It is not bitter at all at this point. This makes this IPA very drinkable... good thing that the abv is lower than a lot of the IPAs I have had.

The bitterness that you are waiting for is present at the finish. As you experience the evaporating sensation at the very end of the taste, the "aftertaste" is floral, rather than fruity, with a hint of pine.

Overall, this is one of the better IPAs that I have had. I usually prefer those with a fruitier finish, but this IPA is among the smoothest I've had. I would highly reccomend this beer.

KonigObHops, Sep 27, 2010

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Hazy , dark golden color. Creamy white head with good retention.

S- light citrus, not too strong.

T- As an IPA is it certainly hoppy, but not as hoppy as I would expect from a Lagunitas IPA. It has the easy drinking taste of a Harpoon IPA. Definitely a sessionable IPA. Nice balance between malts and hops.

M- medium bodied, light taste. Not a ton of residual on the palate.

D- Not an overpowering IPA. Nice hop flavor, but all around easy drinking beer. Hop heads will not be happy hear, reach for Hop Stoopid , but if you want a nicely balanced IPA for a drinking session this will be a nice beer.

chrisgn, Sep 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

A-copper colored, foamy white 1 1/2" head, low carbonation, good retention, really good lacing

S-apples, cider

T-fair hop bitterness, good malty sweet back, that same apple juice aroma lingers in the taste

M-kind of sticky, good resiny bitterness, clings to the palate

D-good, definitely unique

culver501, Sep 22, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A - very clear golden bronze, one finger of white head kept a good even covering, pretty nice lacing all around
S - piney and spicy hop notes, light toasty hint, some orange zest and tobacco
T - piney, spicy, and some orange citrus hop flavours, some toasty and sweet malt, and light tobacco
M - fairly light on carbonation, a balanced hop bitter that stays wet and smooth through the finish, although a little thin
D - a fairly tasty offering with a nice hop mix, the feel is a little thin and not the typical dry I was expecting, still enjoyable and easy drinking, although I definitely prefer their Maximus IPA offering

joemcgrath27, Sep 20, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Vivid gold, a very healthy looking brew
S - Citrus smells dominated by grapefruit
T - Citrusy and hoppy. I had one bottle that was slightly metallic and another that wasn't, so I don't know what's really going on there. Still a nice balance.
M - Full bodied
D - Easy to drink. Low enough ABV to drink more than one. Tasty enough to keep you coming back for more.

Conclusion: The was the first beer I had from Lagunitas Brewing Co., and it's one of their finest works. This is a good place to start if you want to explore what this brewery has to offer, especially if you like IPAs.

sfz, Sep 17, 2010

Had before, must not have been fresh. This fresh bottle enjoyed at lunchtime tasting 9/15/10

It's a cloudy, dark straw color, a 2 fing. head of pure white, awesome lace sheets.

Med. aroma, pale malt, very light yeast notes, full of orange, lemon, grapefruit. Nice.

Bright and full flavored, it starts neutral sweet, grabs grapefruit, and swings through a delicious tour of bitter citrus into a finish that is pure bitter pith, just a hint of pine as it warms. Not complex, true, but very tasty. So much flavor here it's tempting to think of this as a IIPA.

Low carb., nice viscosity and clean cling, excellent dry finish.

Drinkability is as good as many of the big boys in this style.

Impression: For the money this is a fantastic west coast IPA.

cavedave, Sep 15, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- golden yellow nice sized thick head with beautiful lacing
S- big fresh hop smell citrusy with a slight bit of malt

T- really bland and watery at first then the hops make their presence just a bit really just a hint of them, this is kind of a let down from the nose
M- like i said kind of watery
D- why would you want to session hop flavored water?

foogerd, Sep 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer pours with an orangey amber color. Clear.
The foam head is better than average that fades to a wisp, good lacing all the way down the glass.
There is a big hop aroma present, spicy with floral and citrus undertones. I don't detect too much in way of maltiness here.
Bitter hops up front with good floral hop finish.
Some maltiness can be tasted but you have to look for it.
This is a nice full body beer that is smooth and clean.
Plenty of flavor and a low alcohol persence make drinking a couple of these babies real nice.
Drink well my friends

micromaniac129, Sep 11, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Had this on the hand pump at the Brick Store Pub. It's amazing how nicely this beer lends itself to cask treatment. What a pleasant surprise! Pours slightly hazy to start, but clears a bit- probably just some chill haze. Grainy, rocky head that leaves some nice lacing. Gentle carbonation, but it's there. On the nose there are gentle aromas of grapefruit, orange, and sweet apple, and a hint of spiciness from the hops. The malt is purely background. The taste is gentle as well, nicely rounded. The hops are in the forefront, but they aren't absolutely dominant or too assertive. Nice citrus flavors coupled with some hoppy spiciness, and some sweet caramel malt. A bit coppery, right at the end. In the mouth it's grainy and hoppy, but the lovely understated carbonation and creaminess ties it together. Much softer version on cask , with hops that taste fresher, fruitier, and gentler. I really enjoyed this.

Georgiabeer, Sep 08, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle. This is one of the first American-made IPAs that I remember seeing around here, and I bought more than a few overpriced sixers, until more variety eventually followed.

This beer pours a slightly hazy, yet bright medium golden copper hue, with one thick finger of foamy, rocky off-white head, which duly dissipates, leaving a barely broken band of webbed lace around the glass.

It smells of creamy, zesty grapefruit citrus and pine resin, reserved caramel/toffee malt, a hint of edgy warming alcohol, and further soapy, floral hops. The taste is biscuity caramel cream, some dry nougat, and nicely even grapefruit, blood orange, pineapple, and pine needle hops. Simple, sure, but effective as hell.

The carbonation is on the low, but still staunchly supportive side, the body a wavering medium weight, more or less smooth (in that scorched earth hopscape manner), and strangely creamy. It finishes off-dry, teeteringly so, with a gently increasing, and lingering dry pine and citrus pith bitterness.

Pretty bang-on for the west coast, big Cali-pimpin' style - nicely balanced, and large, but not overly so (the 'in charge' part may be disputable). Still, an equitably enjoyable IPA, one which I shall continue to revisit at will, even as more of its direct competitors assail our (ancient) shores.

biboergosum, Sep 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, brown color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, sweet malt, slight citrus, and hint of alcohol. Overall, good body, aroma, but not complex.

Tone, Sep 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +7%

I've had this and most other Lagunitas brews a number of times and I will admit a positive prejudice to the brand. All their beers are interesting.

IPA is interesting because of subtlties. A killer aftertaste. A drinkability rare in IPA's. Consistency. All positive traits. On the negative, it's a little mild, not over-powering (thus the drinkability).

Not too expensive either. I wil be on a kick to re-taste all Lagunitas' brews. I think this is one of my favs. I remember some being very malty. This should be fun.

schoolboy, Sep 03, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, nice label, no date that I saw

Appearance: Poured into a lazer-etched 16oz nonic. Beautiful, bright dark golden beer with orange tints, some nearly microscopic sediment, and a large, fluffy ivory cap with great retention and some nice sticky lace. Really attractive beer.

Smell: Hoppy, as it should be. Some super-sweet candied orange peel, hint of grapefruit, and something darker, slightly dank, and herbal. Not really getting much in the way of malt aromas here, but that's just fine.

Taste: A bit more subtle than I expected from the fairly punchy aromas. That's not to say that this is weak or watered down, it's just a bit more graceful than I was expecting. The hops start with a fruity grapefruit semi-sweetness, but quickly turn woodsy/piney and pleasantly, punchily bitter. I say punchy rather than harsh, because it's a firm, bracing bitterness here, nothing over the top. Just the slightest hint of sweet pale maltiness in the background, but you have to look for it. Actually, as I let this warm up a bit, it's becoming a bit more of a bruiser. Still not harsh, but punchier, and the herbal pine and woodsy flavors come out stronger than the citrus notes. Maybe not exactly what I'd want when I wanted a more balanced IPA, but this would definitely fit the bill when I'm in one of my "I need a hop fix" moods...

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium...or the heavier side of light...makes this...

Drinkability: Very. Quaffable.

Conclusion: A really nice little IPA; the hops are front and center here. This isn't a stellar IPA, but it's a very good one. A little more complexity from the hop flavors, and maybe a bit more body/malt to match the firm hop bitterness, and we'd have a fantastic American IPA here...as it is, I could definitely see myself buying this. Thanks Heather, for the sample!

BedetheVenerable, Sep 02, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Copper pour, average head, sticky, good retention. Aroma was copper as well.

Taste, probably my least enthusiastic beer in the hoppy profile from these guys. The pale is far superior for me. Lots of grapefruit and copper bitterness. So much more dry hopping in the pale than this. Is nice that the abv stays under 6 on this one. Not overly complex, a reliable ipa at a good cost. Seems like lots of cascades here, maybe a smidgen of Simcoe.

Beerandraiderfan, Sep 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle poured into a basic pint glass.

Appearance - Gold in color, lighter than I expected. Not as much head as I expected either though there was some lacing once I started to drink.

Smell - Earthy and hoppy. Definitely get the west coast hop pine smell. Very inviting.

Taste - Smooth and hoppy. The bitterness is balanced well by the hops.

Mouthfeel - Enjoyable, but as full bodied as other American IPAs.

Drinkability - Excellent. Could easily see myself drinking a few of these in a row.

All in all, a pretty solid brew. I love west coast IPAs. This one is good, but not the best of the bunch.

pburland23, Aug 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Lagunitas IPA is a beer I've had years ago, but wanted to revisit. It is much sweet than I remember, not necessarily all from caramel malt, but also from the amount of fruity esters contributed by the yeast and orange flavors from the hops. It was appropriately bitter, but didn't have the depth of flavor that other Lagunitas offerings have. It was tasty, but I think I'll stick with Lagunitas DIPA in the future.

Soonami, Aug 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: deep gold color, with a one finger head of ivy. Lacing will happen throught the glass as the beer is drank.

S: grass smell - earthy and hoppy

T: aroma flavor dominate the taste except experience expounded. clean bitterness and finish.

M: full body

D: very sessionable beer

mephifaust, Aug 28, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a nice clear gold with a thick fluffy white head that lasts for a long time with beautiful lacing on along the side of the glass.

Smells like walking through a wonderful enchanted pine forest. Along with some biscuity malts, but the hops mainly dominate the aroma.

The first thing I taste is grapefruit along with some powerful citrus rind. Subtle malt undertones, but finishes mainly hoppy with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Smooth, thick mouthfeel, pretty carbonated and a real thirst quencher. Like any other typical west coast IPA but with a unique citrus character upfront.

GodOfBeer, Aug 25, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Clear bright amber/copper color, merangue like head, gobs of sticky lace.

Lot's of floral pine, some pale malts.

Nice balance between pine hop and pale malt. Citrus/grapefruit bitterness in the finish. Hops understated for an AIPA, but the balance makes up for it.

Smooth, slickly slick and oily feel.

Some HopHeads will want more, this is very drinkable IMO. Too bad it's close to $18/six here in Canada.

Shadman, Aug 25, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Ah, I love coming to Halifax. Great beer, great selection, and a good amount of IPA's to choose from. This one is from my latest haul at Premier.

Pours a bright and clear copper hue with one and a half fingers of cream coloured sticky head that leaves a generous amount of patchy lacing as the beer receeds.

The nose is fresh and bright with notes of lemon zest, sticky grapefruit, and herbal hops meshing nicely with a hardy malt backbone that consists of caramel and bready malts.

Good balance in the mouth with the malt bill coming close to matching the beer's hoppy essence, but both the grapefruit and lemon zest character still previal. The finish seems to be lacking that lingering, dry hoppy finish I look for in my IPA's. I'm not sure if it's due to the malt character being too strong, or the improper storage of the beer at the store I purchased this at. Still a flavourful, well balanced IPA.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation that could use a bit of amping up to make the beer a bit more refreshign and drinkable.

Overall, a solid IPA that is worthy of a try. To my knowledge, the shipment this beer arrived on in Halifax doesn't date that far back, so I don't know how much of an affect the storage of it at room temperature actually had on the beer. I would love to try this one again fresh and do a re-review if necessary. I still have their Maximus IPA and Hop Stoopid in my fridge and this one has left me looking forward to both.

ludachris, Aug 22, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

A - A lovely pale copper color, clear with a big foamy rocky off white head and excellent lacing.

S - Grapefruit/Citrus hops, a little piny and resinous with an amazing herbal undertone...you can almost smell the sunshine.

T/M - Nicely balanced with subtle malt sweetness upfront and a lingering hop bitterness in the finish. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Very clean.

This is an excellent representation for this style, and by far one of my favorites. I wouldn't mind keeping a keg of this on hand at all times.

aeminter, Aug 22, 2010