Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
3.58/5  rDev -8%

have had a few of these over the years so i reckon i might as well write one up. drinking a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. coppery-orange color with a decent inch of head that hasn't totally subsided halfway through the glass. i smell a much earthier hop coming off this ipa; damp pine needles maybe, and something a little sweet and tangy though not quite citrus. the taste reinforces the earth qualities and molasses with respectable bitterness. creamier mouthfeel that doesn't dry out until the end. i personally prefer the aggressive west coast citrus style, so this one ranks lower on my list.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Nice copper hue with a thick, fast-rising and fast-fading head.

S - One of the more fragrant beers I've had the pleasure of putting my nose into recently. Bright, crisp, flowery, sweet, sugary. Puts a smile on your face. Very inviting. A bit of malt to balance it out with a very slight scent of alcohol.

T - Wow. A great ratio of malt to hops, with hops obviously stealing the show. Fresh, piney, woody, sweet, delicious. Nectar can sum this beer up in one word. A bit of alcohol lingers as the beer warms. This is the epitome of California IPA's, brewed with some of the best hops on the planet.

M - Thick and creamy but not heavy. Fantastic body. Sweet malt lingers on the palate to remind you that another sip is in order.

Such an amazing IPA. I had it on draft in San Diego over Labor Day weekend and waited to review it once I had it in a bottle. I am now a Lagunitas fan.

Poured from their 12oz bottle into mt 12oz beer glass -

Appearance - Poured a quick finger of tight off-white head, color is a brilliant orange amber, lots of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass. Nice looking IPA. Nice lacing well into the glass.

Smell - Sweet citrus, pineapple and grapefruit, and some slight baked bread.

Taste - Wow - lots of sweet citrus flavors, ripe pineapple, grapefruit..ooh, then citrus goes from the sweet fruit meats to the rind, some dryness and a little pine.

Mouthfeel - Really smooth, almost silky in the first half of the sip, then carb crispness and tingle, then a definite drying and bittering of the palate - really a nice progression.

Overall - I really think this is a solid IPA. Granted it starts out a bit on the sweeter side (which I prefer), you still get the nice bitterness and drying pine hops in the end and long into the finish. Really a nice IPA that I will enjoy again.

A. Pours a copper hue with a thin whitehead that has some nice looking lacing and good retention.
S. Not much in the scent, but barely pick up some caramel, pine and citrus.
T. The taste starts out with some grapefruit and pine followed by some caramel and sweet malts which overtake the hops making this beer almost too sweet for an IPA.
M. The mouthfeel is a little watery and finishes with a dry mouth.
O. A rather disappointing offering from a brewery that has made some beers I really enjoy drinking. I'll stick with Stone and Sierra Nevada whenever I want a west coast IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: this west coast IPA has a nice golden orange color with a creamy, off-white, two finger head. Very clear, clean, and filtered appearance.. bubbly as well.

Smell: citrus scents, hop spice

Taste: Lagunitas' beers always seem to be on the sweet side, and this one is no exception. There's some noticeable grapefruit and acidic fruit flavors too.

Mouthfeel: ample carbonation keeps this one lively. Medium body.

Overall: this was an enjoyable IPA, not a bad choice at all.

2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

First Beer Review

Appearance - Probably the one good thing going for this beer. Clear, golden IPA look.

Smell - Not impressed here. Distant and blanded grapefruit, some maltiness. Oddly enough, does not smell like a trademark IPA.

Taste - Some piney notes with citrus grapefruit and orange.

Mouthfeel - Watery, not very enjoyable.

Overall - This must be an old bottle. If not, how can this beer be one notch bellow it's outstanding family member Hop Stoopid? That A- beer has everything this B+ brew is missing (Aroma, mouthfeel, taste). I would love to try this beer on tap to give it justice!

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a light copper with a big, thick white head that laces all the way.

Smells of pine and dank hops but the aroma was not huge in the bottle I was drinking.

Tastes of pine hops up front then shifts to a big citrus character, think pineapple upside down cake...interesting...some bready malt mixes in but not too much there.

It is medium bodied, smooth, and really easy to down.

There is something about this IPA that kept it from being great...maybe the small nose or the almost confusing, though not unpleasant, mix of hop flavor....I liked it but not one of my favorites.

2.53/5  rDev -35%

Pours a golden honey color that is fairly clear and not cloudy. Has a small white foam head that dissipates quickly. Smell isn't very strong. Hoppy notes and some grapefruit/citrus. Smell is light a fresh. Taste is slightly hoppy and piney, but not very strong. Bitterness apparent in the aftertaste but the flavors die out real fast. Beer is very carbonated but is very light and drinkable. Overall a decent beer but nothing special. Won't be rushing back for another 6 pack.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

A - Clear copper, no head, attempts to revive the head are futile, little lacing.

S/T - Floral, piney hops with a slightly sweet caramel backbone to balance. Hints of citrus come through, finishing with an herbal, pine hop finish. Nose was very weak.

M - Medium body, ample carbonation, finishes dry.

O - Strikes me as an average IPA, not really standing apart from the crowd in any way. I'm not compelled to try it again.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Lagunitas, Well, that's a name that I will need practice pronouncing well.

Lagunitas IPA is said (on the bottle) to be a "special homicidally hoppy ale" but after pouring it, I'm not sure I can agree.

This IPA pours a nice golden color--not quite amber but not quite just gold--and has a bouquet consisting mostly of some really floral, piney, citrus, (specifically) grapefruit aromas. The head on this beer--with a vigorous pour, bubbles up to a light, whispy two finger head and settles to a thin rim of bubbles with little to no lace to be found.

The taste is anything but what you would expect from an ale purported to be "homicidally hoppy". It is, in fact, quite well balanced--in terms of an IPA--and has a sweeter, pleasant taste of citrus and grapefruit which blend well with the hopps selection for this brew, which are more notably floral and a little piney and leave a little bit of a resinous taste that lingers on you palate. The resin taste reminds you that, while you might be drinking this nice, sweet IPA you're still drinking a characteristic IPA!

The skinny, as usual:

A: A nice golden color. Lacking a great head, and desperately lacking that beautiful Belgian Lace.
S: The bouquet of this brew is a total sell. It's fragrant and pleasant, though a deviation for those who are IPA traditionalists.
T: Taste is equally great, matches the aroma and presents a sweet, citrus taste with a lingering IPA, piney, resinous taste afterwards.
M: You have a typical IPA in this sense--crisp, carbonated, clean with a slight resin feel between sips.
O: I am enjoying this brew quite a bit, actually. It's a very drinkable IPA with its own unique characteristics that aren't wholly different than your standard IPA. The best of both worlds, I'd say.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an orangish amber with 1/2" of bubbly head with pretty good retention. Citrus, grapefruit, and floral notes dominate the nose. Taste is bready, biscuity malt up front with citrusy, piny hops taking over in the finish. I'm surprised by the bold malt character, but I'm impressed with the balance despite the above average malt presence. The mouthfeel is crisp with a smooth, medium body.

Not a bad IPA. In my opinion it's a little different than most west coast IPAs, but its enjoyable and quite easy to drink.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

A- clear light orange not much head cream color

S- hops mostly citrus limited malt

T- great pine hop flavor not too much malt but I like it that way...malt becomes more apparent as it sits...still mostly hops and pretty good

M- goes down easy light/med body good carbonation nice dryness bitterness

O- decent ipa def above avg. Good hop flavor ok nose not a great appearance

3.85/5  rDev -1%

A&S - Pours a golden orange with a big fluffy off white head, reaks of wet hops, some pineapple and grapefruit with just enough malt.

T&M - Hits crisp and sweet then transitions to a mouth watering fruit and hop presence. The bitterness continues to grow, for me the hop aggression was a little too much on the mouthfeel, but this beer finishes with a great alcohol burn that compliments that in a strange but good way. I've had one of these cold at a party and the citrus hops were insane, however I recently cracked one open at home and as it warmed it tasted more floral than citrus.

O - Overall a hit or miss. People talk so good about this beer, and some dislike it. I like me some lighter IPAs when it comes to session drinking, something like Ranger. However this beer is fantastic and should not be over looked. Reminds me of Big Eye IPA. Stay thirsty my friends.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a light copper in color with a fair amount of head and some particulates floating around. Carbonation levels are good.

S: Very pleasant citrus and tropical fruit aroma with a sweet, honey and bread maltiness in the background.

T: Taste follows the nose well with a lot of grapefruity citrus and a lot of tropical fruits; mango is predominant, but I also pick up some apricot and maybe a hint of pineapple. This is complimented nicely by the sweet malts with notes of honey and bread. Although fairly balanced, a tart bitterness does dominate the flavor all the way through and lingers well into the aftertaste.

M: This is a very light, medium bodied brew with good carbonation, a bit of substance to it and a slight chewiness. Goes down smooth and easy, would make an excellent session IPA.

O: Definitely not your typical West coast IPA as the hop profile is clearly less prominent, but I found it to be tasty and refreshing. I'm a big fan of grapefruit/citrus IPA's so I quite enjoyed this one, though it did lack the "punch" of a higher quality IPA. Still, quite quaffable and definitely more approachable. Cheers!

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

The flagship of the Lagunitas brewing company is a rather disappointing one. In fact, I disliked this beer so much when I tried it that I avoided the brewer altogether for over a year. Revisiting it, it's not as bad as I remember it, but it's still far from enjoyable to me, especially compared to Lagunitas' other beers.

I have thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every other beer I have had from Lagunitas, and I've had quite a few now, but this one still doesn't hit any spots for me. I highly recommend any reader who enjoys this beer, or beer at all, to try Hop Stoopid, their double IPA. At this time, it is my favorite beer and it wipes the floor with this one.

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Bottled July 11, 2011

A: pours a bronze ale with a solid finger of peanut foam which does not dissipate, might even be growing. Cobweb lacing with excellent clarity.

S: Grapefruit, some alcohol, resin, and some more grapefruit.

T: Moderate bitterness tones well with the sweet malts. The beer has an interesting vegetable flavor I'm uncertain if I like. Almost like a minty arugula flavor, huh, weird. Meh, it's okay as I sip more of it.

M: Quite lively, more so than I would prefer. As such, the body feels quite light to me. No finish to speak of.

O: Not a bad beer, but nothing special either. Pretty average.

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Quite clear and golden-orange. Just a few bubbles coming up. Head is on the smaller side, but sticks around as a beer cap through the end. Leaves middle of the road lace. While it is beautiful looking beer, I like my IPA's to look unfiltered.

S: Sweet and super juicy hop profile. Very fruity and tropical. Pineapple, mango, apricot, orange. As it warms the sweet, honey malt shines through.

T: Probably the closest thing to a beer cocktail I've ever come across (like a lot of Lagunitas brews). It tastes of very fruity and sweet hops with honey coated malt. I get mainly mango, which is unique to this beer. Minimal bitterness. Not a dry finish at all, which is slightly unusual for a Cali IPA.

M: Medium. Soft carbonation. Feels wet and juicy.

Overall this is a decent brew, but not exactly suited for my taste. I like my IPAs to be brutally bitter, and with more hop bite.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

I don't think I've come across a Lagunitas brew that I haven't liked. And this one is no different.

A- It pours a nice amber color with lively carbonation. Head dissipates after a minute but leaves a nice lacey white ring.

S-Bright hops up front. As well as a sweetness, like caramel maybe.

T- You get that hop bite initially but that fades away quickly. It finishes sweetly, definitely some honey in there and spice.

Overall a really nice beer. Not as hoppy as I was expecting. A really nice, balanced beer though. I could drink a sixer of these unlike most other IPA's.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice dark amber color with fantastic clarity. 1" off-white head subsides in a couple of minutes but leaves very distinct lacing. Aroma is lots of hops, with strong notes of pine and mint, as well as a subtle fruitiness. Faint, sweet banana comes to mind too for some reason. In the taste, bitterness rolls in first and subsides over time. Hop character is more earthy and herbal at this point, and really shines just after the bitterness starts to subside. Malt shows up in a relatively sweet finish that is almost tart. Mouthfeel is good and slightly creamy, but balanced well with a lively carbonation. No alcohol kick whatsoever.

The more I sip this one, the more I realize how balanced it is. It is certainly hop-forward, don't get me wrong, but the bitterness is reigned in just before it gets to be too much. Thirst-quenching and delicious, I'm glad I finally picked this up.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap at St. Augustines in Vancouver.

A: 1/8" soapy white head over amber liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Citrus and floral hops with some sweet malt.

T: Intense combination of citrus and floral hops with a faint malt backdrop.

M: Medium viscosity with a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: An easy drinking IPA, that would likely be most enjoyed by those who enjoy their IPAs with the flavors of citrus and floral hops, along with malt.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours clear, bright golden copper (you know the color those brand new pennies have, close to that but a shade darker and not shiny). Head starts off fluffy and recedes into a cap but that lacing is as apparent as ever.

S: The first few beers out of the sixer didn't seem to give up the kind of aroma I am finding here. I guess that's the benefit of turning the TV off for a review? In any case I am getting some tropical fruit notes, mango and pineapple in particular, but there is a strong underlying current of bready malt, if a bit stale, that comes out of the mix as well.

T/MF: Mmm, pretty solid, very well rounded and I am not afraid to say that. Malt comes through to the perfect degree, caramel malt comes out matched/blended almost indistinguishably from the earthy, slightly resinous hops. Feel is pretty standard for an IPA a bit sloshy but can't complain overall as it feels like an IPA, a bit grabby on the back of the tongue and mid-bodied, what else can you say really?

D: In a word. Decent. Nothing mind-blowing, very well rounded and pretty fun to drink but there are better beers for less money.

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Looks more like a pale than an IPA if I'm being picky- transparent gold, average head/retention.

Smells like a malty tinny grapefruit.

Nice refreshing taste. Fruit is at the forefront. Doesn't have that snap that an IPA oughta. Actually their regular pale ale seems hoppier to me...strange.

This is a good beer and if it was the only thing at a friends' house I wouldn't be disappointed but I want more from a year-round IPA...this one's a little thin.

It's like a higher abv SNPA with subdued flavor/hoppiness.

Overall worthy, though.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

The beer poured a clear deep gold and builds a weak white head which dissipates fast and leaves good lacing.
The smell announces fruity hops and malt.
Tasting the beer you have quite a lot of malty sweet flavors, caramel and honey. In the middle the flowery hops kick in to balance this beer, but the malt presence I find dominating to much!
A nice beer, but not one of the great ones.

2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

A: golden/amber with very thin head, which went away fairly quickly.

S: molass, sugar, sweet fruit, pine apple, fishy,,,?

T: some dish with fish sauce? I am distracted by this flavor and it's not that good in the beer... grape fruit hop flavor comes after that, but doesn't go well with fishiness. In overall, it feels plain/flat on the palate, and feels balanced. one drawback is this fishiness. it's just distracting.

M: relatively dry, and goes down freshly.

D: not so drinkable with that weird taste that I can't get over with...

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Gold Copper-ish body.

S: Smells of hops and sweet malt.

T: Taste of citrous(grapefruit?). Slightly hoppy and sweet.

M: Smooth/creamy, medium bodied and carbonation.

O: Very easy drinking beer. Perhaps too hyped. I was expecting the hops to have more impact but it's still a good beer. Buy this in bulk and share with friends. I'll defiantly keep this in mind.

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company