Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

45.6 IBU

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001)
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Taco Mac Perimeter. Dismal IPA selection, so I chose Lagunitas, as I've never had a bad beer from them before.

The beer was served in a pint glass. There was no head whatsoever, not even a film over the top. The beer was uber-clear, copper color. I would have never served a beer like this unless I knew that's the way it was supposed to look.

The smell reminded me of when you're cleaning up the next morning after a party, stale macro beer. No hops, just a sweet-sour aroma. It tasted like a flat macro, not even drinkable. I told my waitress it was not a good beer and she said she gets that a lot with the Lagunitas IPA. I can't figure out if it was the quality of the beer or the treatment from the establishment. Perhaps both. I have had quite a few beers from this restaurant before and I've never had a problem. I've never had a Lagunitas IPA before either, but I have had their Maximus which I enjoyed.

I drank less than half and finished my meal drinking Atlanta chlorinated water instead.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours an attractive bright tangerine with a mist of sediment and a snowy white cap that fades to generous crust and long sheets. Candied clementine wafts from across the room. Caramel and apricot with wildflower honey underneath put up a brief fight before succumbing to juicy citrus, candied pineapple and light resin hops. Herbal skunk hit at the end and a dry but fruity linger. Light - medium, some chew, creamy, crisp enough.

Another yummy Petaluma beer. IBUs are there, but muted by the overall balance. Not as compulsively drinkable as other brews from Lagunitas and maybe closer to an APA relative to their whole range. But I'd be happy with a 6 of this for any BBQ.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

365th review on BA
on tap to plastic cup

App- A see through orange with yellow highlights. Asked the bartender for a little extra head. Didn't work. A little cling to the glass.

Smell- Its a bit of a sweet malt with a spicy pine hoppy nose. No citrus on this one.

Taste- A pretty standard IPA from a good brand. Was nice and hoppy and had the requisite spicy grapefruit.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation, left a malty residual taste.

Drink- It's a pretty standard IPA. Was not expecting much from a race track but what the hell it was a good beer to watch some ponies. I probably wont have it again, but nice flavors and not the worst IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Copper color with heavy carbonation noted. A HUGE head, the bartender had to let it settle for several minutes. (Brand new keg) The lacing was beautiful all the way to the end of the pint glass.

S: Strong floral and pine hops with a something sweet. I'm not sure just what that was. Impressive.

T: At the outset I noticed sweet and pine. Then the middle floral kicks in and last to the end. The finish was slightly dry and sweet again it was a good balance and mix of tastes and textures.

M: Medium and still bubbly. Kept me wanting more.

O: Great IPA that adequately did justice to the Sheppard's Pies for dinner. Not the least bit overbearing, and I would drink this again.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours orange, white head retains as a nice cap and leaves some lacing.

Smell/taste - Taste beats the smell, but similar attributes to both - fresh orange/citrus, grassy hops, big earthy notes, warm biscuit malt. Flavors are at their best in the few sips fading more as it goes down.

Nice malt presence but pretty bitter overall. A bit overcarbonated, foam seems to take over at times.

I've had some mixed experiences with this beer but if you can get it really fresh this is a great IPA, I'm guessing most people don't get it at it's prime but I feel this one is underrated.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A-Pours somewhat murky and orange/copper color. A bright white head sits and retains well. Lacing is pretty good too. Looks great.

S-Pungent citrus and pine aroma here. Pale malt bats second to the hops here. I get a pretty clear grainy scent here too. Was not expecting the beer to look and smell as good as it does.

T-The flavor is a bit more muted that I was hoping for. Tastes good but I think this beer looks and smells better than it tastes. That being said, this beer is pretty good. The flavor is to my liking, I would just prefer it to be more intense. The look and the smell lead this one to disappoint only minimally in the taste department.

M-Rather light which is good because the flavor is not very explosive. Well carbonated. Dry too.

O/D-Very drinkable. This beer is pretty much awesome except for the fact that the flavor is not strong enough. Like listening to a great song with earmuffs on. Just a bit too quiet for its potential. I put this into my "easy drinking warmer weather IPA". I would probably buy another 6-pack of this to give it a shot maybe a few months down the road.

———

2/4/13

Enjoyed at the Lagunitas brewpub. On cask with the addition of Pacific Gem hops. Light and tasty. Very agreeable. Shines from a cask.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Clear Copper in color with a slight rising bubble, .5-finger head and nice sticky lacing when poured on tap into a pint glass.

S: Great floral and pine hops with a sweet hybiscus overtone. Well-charactered.

T: Grainy and sweet up front, piney through the middle with a nice floral finish. Notes of pine needles, flowers, grains, and a touch of raw honey on the swallow. A dry finish with a sweeter aftertaste than one would expect. Well-rounded and flavorful.

M: Bright and bubbly with an even follow-through. The clean finish hits this beer home.

O: This is a great IPA that adequately displays balance. A great beer to introduce someone to if they're IPA skeptics, though hoppy enough to keep IPA pros coming back.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

No bottling or best-by date. Why???

Pours a nice deep and shiny orange/amber, with a beautiful white,fluffy head that stays a good while. Nice creamy lacing on the glass. Wow,this should be the standard appearance-wise for any IPA. An automatic 5 here.

Very grassy and bland aroma,not much going on here. This might be because of the age/staleness,lack of BB date. Some light malts,faint hops but very dull. WTH???

Not too impressive here, only mildy hoppy, and lacking in other areas. Average medium mouthfeel. Heavy carbonation. Rather dull.

This is probably past it's prime, as I can taste staleness. Again,no bottling or best-by date, so I can't know for sure. Either way, this is the most unimpressive IPA I've had, outside of the appearance. Will try again if I can acquire a guaranteed fresh one.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a tap into an 18oz mug. Nice amber color with a golden hue.Thick white foamy head about 1/2 slowly fades. Nice lacing. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Very light aroma. Some hoppy smell detected.Taste is pretty floral, slightly citrusy, and faily light on the hops.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Light golden orange, with a faint chill haze. Not much of a head, and what there is doesn't stick around long. Prominent lacework as the beer is consumed, however.

Smell: Smells fairly malty. Definite hop presence, of course. These hops are pine-y rather than citrus-y. Faint whiff of...brown sugar, unusual for an IPA.

Taste: Assertively hopped. The first sensation of flavor on the tongue is the floral, piney hop character. The malt peeks out very briefly from behind the hops mid-palate but then sneaks off again to let the hop character reassert itself in the finish. I've had hoppier beers, but rarely have I had a beer where the flavor profile was so thoroughly dominated by hop character from beginning to end, to the exclusion of all other flavors. Whether that's bad or good is up to your personal preferences.

Mouthfeel: Standard for an IPA. Festively carbonated.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Nothing here to stop you from chugging a bottle or knocking back several in an evening.

Overall: I've had better, I've had worse, its okay.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

A clear light amber beer, a white head that leaves lacing.

Typical american citric and floral, grape-fruit- and pine-soap!

Starting with sweet toffee notes, the citric, grape-fruit, tones, floowed by hay and crushed cherry seeds.

Medium high carbonation, a soft texture, a good body and distinct dry finish.

A nice IPA, well done.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - Pours a golden amber with puffy two finger head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation rising from the bottom.

S - Gentle piney grapefruit aroma. Not wholly strong, but a good blend.

T - Great amount of hops up front. Definitely balanced evenly between malt and hops. Unfortunately, the malt comes so intensely that I can't fully sense the flavor of the hops. More piney than anything I would say, but it masks it just a bit.

M - Very clean and crisp. A great mouthfeel. Good light-to-medium body, ideal for an IPA.

Overall - A I felt the smell and taste to be a little lacking in full flavor. This may be one of the only times where I use balance as a criticism. But still, a good IPA

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

My first review, still getting the hang of this:

A: Light, coppery color. 1 1/2 to 2 fingers worth of head.

S: Definite strong hop aroma. Some floral and citrus scents

T: Great hop bite on the back of the palate. Though still very drinkable.

M: A little less carbonated than expected. Still feels like a well put together beer.

O: Had this beer a couple times before. A solid IPA. I definitely recommend it.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

A- foamy white two finger head, and a orange colored beer.

S- Nice citrus smell, slight orange smell. Very mild smell of hops.

T- This is a very mellow IPA, and not my exact taste. But the flavors are fresh and pleasant. Nothing comes out and pops your mouth with flavor. The hops have a mild flavor that get accentuated with the orange citrus and of course malts.

M- Good mouthfeel, creamy and low on carbonation. Nothing funky or off setting in the mouth. Just a failry mild tasting IPA.

Ever since i moved to California and this is on tap everywhere, I had to come back and adjust my rating. Def one of my fav Ipas. GET IT ON TAP!

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance. Pours a really clear, golden amber with a finger of just off-white head. Nice lacing.

Smell. White grapefruit, caramel grains and a little pine.

Taste. Strong but clean and dry caramel malts, some grassy hops and some citrus rind. Hoppy bite with a mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel. Light body with medium carbonation. A little bit thin.

Overall. A good IPA, but not incredibly remarkable.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

A- Pours a translucent gold with a slight haze and a decent amount of bubbles. Nice one finger fluffy head sticks around with thin lacing.

S- Nice piny citrus aroma jumps out from the hops. Nice balance of smells on this IPA.

T- Great smooth balance of hop and malt flavors. Nice hop bitterness on the finish but not overbearing. Very balanced once again.

M- Light/medium body with a crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation in this one.

O- Easy drinking IPA with interesting flavors. Would love to taste a sixer of this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at The Other Side in Boston, I asked "what's your hoppiest, most full on IPA" they gave me this. They weren't wrong.

A - Cloudy, yellow, big frothy head

S - Sharp, fruity, citrusy, bitter, flowery, lots going on

T - There's a lot going on. There's so much going on it's almost a shame, because there's a lot to pick out and it sort of gets lost. More shades of bitter than you can shake a stick at, quite a bit of sweet, a lot of fresh citrus...

M - Excellent, not too thin, quite carbonated, goes down a bit too easy for the ABV.

O - Awesome beer, very tasty, fresh and similar enough to Brewdog New Punk so it reminded me of home but not so similar I don't wish I could get some back in Scotland.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz Bottle into a pint glass.

A - Golden orangish color, excellent lacing throughout the drink with this one.

S - The hops and citrus come right up front, I really liked the aroma

T - A good hops bite, with a malt background, sweet citrus flavor that I found to be more of a sour grape taste, which I really liked.

M - That malt background gave this a solid mouthfeel, it has something behind it.

O - I really enjoyed this one, I was a little let down as I was looking for another beer of which they were out of stock, so I took a chance. Enjoyed about 4 of these while watching the NCAA tourny - so these are definitely good session beers in my book. Good stuff

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

This may have just become my new go-to beer.

I had this on-tap, served in a pint glass.

A - The lighting in the restaurant was not great, but the beer appeared to be a golden orange color with a thick head. Exquisite lacing as I finished the beer.

S - This is what really got me. The hops are apparent and I love that. The beer smells of pine, citrus, and some other natural herb that is in the hops family (wink wink). I wish they made an air freshener that smelled like this beer. On second thought, I think that would cause major problems if I got pulled over.

T - The hops are certainly upfront, followed by hints of citrus. Malt is there, but definitely in the background. This beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

M - Extremely smooth without sacrificing carbonation.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. I can't believe I've waited so long to try it. It will definitely become a regular in my fridge.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pale glowing orange in body with white creamy head that leaves lacing. Awesome hop aroma with resin, grass, mint, citrus, and slight hop spice. A smooth ride ensues: citrus, grass, mint, light lemon, evergreens, fresh hop flavor, some resin, bitterness and finishes dry and refreshing with some citrus/alcohol on the sides of the tongue. Medium bodied with light carbonation. A refreshing, great tasting pale ale with West Coast flavors and surprising drinkability.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

I don't know how I've gone this long without reviewing such a popular staple of the west coast beer scene, but I have. Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is a golden-orange color, topped by a finger's worth of fluffy white head. Beautiful aroma is huge on citrusy, piny hops, with big notes of grapefruit and cannabis. Just about the perfect aroma for a west coast IPA.
Palate is hop-forward, with lots of citrusy bitterness. More grapefruit and pine notes, along with a touch of sulfurous esters. The malt cuts the hops just slightly, with a honey, bready sweetness. Finish is a nice, lasting bitterness, again with big grapefruit notes.
Body is part creamy, part sticky, and very pleasant and appropriate for the style. This is one of the more approachable hoppy beers that still has a lot of character, and is a pleasure to drink. I can (and do) have several in an evening with no complaints.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Nice rich golden color, no haze, quite clear. Nice rich white foam with some ridges and bumps and provided wonderful lacing. Smell is piney citrusy like the california hops. Just what I was hoping for.
Taste is great-the hops shine through but it is balanced by the malts. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with mild carbonation. Perfectly acceptable for an IPA. Drinkability is great. I will have at least 5 more, just not today.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.
This is my first brew from Lagunitas and it was a good first impression. A very hop forward IPA, as expected, especially in the nose. Lots of bright and appetizing citrus notes from the west coast hops. Palate has a little more balance from a decent malt presence. After a bit of a rough start, I noticed the taste really hit it's stride toward the end of the glass, so maybe I started a little too cold. Appearance is pretty typical of a hoppy pale ale, golden in color with a large and rocky head that had good retention and lacing. This tasty beer went down quickly. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard American pint glass.

Sort of a yellowish gold that could be mistaken for a low quality American adjunct beer, but it has slightly better color and less carbonation. The pale head is fairly thin, even with a pretty rough pour, and only lasts for a short time.

The smell disappears for the most part along with the head. Some citrus and floral hoppiness, and a nice peach note. Overall it's fairly mild.

Medium hops, more flowery than sweet, with a crisp finish. Not terribly complex, but it's a fairly solid IPA.

Mild mouthfeel, perfect level of carbonation. Very smooth and crisp.

Very drinkable beer, not as overwhelmingly hoppy as some IPA's. Strong ABV for a sessions beer, but I could happily drink this all night and I will continue to buy it when it's on sale at liquormart.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearence - Golden and on the orange side, clearly unfiltered, which is definately one of the features I love about the "west coast" IPA's I've had. Not much head to speak of, but I was certainly a little lax when I poured it.

Smell - Definately an IPA simply based on the bitter hop aroma. Honestly though, it was not as strong as I had expected. I am a little bit of a hop head, so I am dissappointed about how minimal the hop notes are. I was surprised about the fact that I could smell the alcohol in this one, but the fact that I picked up on that is probably due to my brother being in town for the past couple weeks, which means I only drink Coors Light.

Taste - This beer tasts good, but not great. Just as the smell would suggest, the hoppy flavor so typical of IPA's just isn't present. It has a distinctly bitter and pine-esq hop flavor, but the minimal presence of this flavor is a real bummer.

Mouthfeel - The high point of this beer is its perfect amount of carbonation. Slightly bubbly, and definately not overpowering. Nothing to complain about in terms of mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Ummm, sure I'd drink another.

Final Thoughts - I have had quite a few IPA's and plan on having many more, this is not one of my favorites, but it is a good choice for someone who likes the IPA flavor without the strong hopp kick.

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company