Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-10-2001

45.6 IBU
Reviews: 1,617 | Hads: 7,786
4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

Lagunitas IPA pours a clear golden orange with an odd particulate in suspension in the bottle. There is a rich malty aroma, with herbal, tea like hops. It almost smells like fresh unfermented wort. Taste is more sweet and fruity maltiness, rounded with a heavy hop bitterness. Hops are citrusy and really balance the fruity malt flavor. As my friend Brian would say, I really dig this beer. So far the best offering from Lagunitas I've had (although I have a Hairy Eyeball and a Brown Shugga waiting for me in the fridge). I'm glad to see these beers on the East coast. (569 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

Purchased from Surdyk's on a whim. Seen it plenty of times, heard decent things about it, thought I'd give it a throw.

First of all, this is one of the most insanely difficult twist off caps I've ever tried to get off! I honestly cut my hand trying to twist that sucker off! This better damn well be worth it....

Pours a golden amber color, with a sort of hazelnut color to it. Love the color on this one. Much more orange than I would have anticipated. Creamy off white head dissipates to a small pillow. Leaves decent lacing.

As soon as you crack the impossible cap, I get a light floating whiff of grapefruit. Ah, just what I wanted. Has a very citrusy and fruity smell, that dukes it out with the bitterness to see who is the more dominant. I have to say, the fruity wins this duel. The more I sniff this beauty, I get a faint hint of dried apricots.

Taste is also very citrusy and fruity, mostly grapefruit. There is a noticeable hop bitterness with earthy and floral qualities, but nothing overwhelming. I was honestly expecting more bitterness, but this works well at any rate. Very tasty if I do say so myself. There is the slightest tinge of malts, and possibly caramel.

Body is on the lighter side, but thats ok. A bit sharp, but how could I complain about the acidic quality when I love the flavor so much? It is a bit crisp for my taste, but I can sacrifice a bit of feel for flavor any day.

This brew is very drinkable. I honestly think I found my new session beer. Very drinkable, and very affordable. I have never had a Lagunitas brew until tonight, and I have to say I am very impressed with this California brewery. Also, this makes me want to try a Hop Stoopid as soon as possible, as I've heard that one is better! (1,739 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

This is an exceptional IPA that to me meet all the criteria for a west coast IPA style beer.

Big hoppy, yummy taste with lots of citrus taste going on - it was just so damn drinkable. The smell was not overly citrusy like some but it was in the first taste and consistant.

Perfect balance of hops (hops and more hops) with malt.

Stunning IPA. Just wish you could buy it in Canada. (383 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer poured a beautiful copper color with a thick, yet quickly dissipating, off-white head. Excellent carbonation throughout its length in the pint glass.

Great hop aroma, featuring hints of citrus, pine, and a biscuity scent. Very pleasant.

Very well-balanced taste at first, yielding to a dry, bitter finish typical of West Coast IPAs. A moderate mouthfeel with stickiness that lingers on your tongue well after and leaves you wanting more.

I was very pleased with this beer. The hop taste was more mild than the aroma indicated, but I liked the smoothness and biscuity notes. The mouthfeel is a bit heavy at the end, but overall a great IPA, and one I'll definitely be picking up on a regular basis. (710 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

The first time I tried this beer was this summer in Manhattan after a company softball game during my summer internship. I really enjoyed it and I was just getting into craft beer at the time. Upon returning to Pittsburgh I wanted to find this, but I was unable to find any Lagunitas when I went back to Penn State. Thankfully, I stumbled upon a few bottles!

A - Pours a very clean, deep golden, dark straw color and adds about 3 fingers worth of foamy, pure white head. Head lasts for a good amount of time before sticking to the very top of the beer. Some moderate feet and lacing around the glass.

S - The smell is one of the greatest points about this beer. It is so deep, so crisp, very pine and citrus forward. It is incredibly refreshing and pushes its hop-filled agenda. Underneath the floral hops, there's a little bit of spice, and only a faint hint of malty sweetness.

T - Taste is faithful to the nose as it is a hop-dominated beer that overwhelms the taste buds with bitterness before finally relinquishing them to a wave of malts, spice, and fruits. Not the most complex of beers, but it really achieves what the nose sets out to do - deliver a blast of hops.

M - Mouthfeel is medium with a certain breadiness that goes well with the head and carbonation. Lots of carbonation can be seen in the glass and are felt in the mouth to get each individual taste bud involved.

D - Drinkability is high. A powerful yet non-overwhelming flavor, crisp nose, and relatively low ABV makes this one go down fast and smooth. One of my favorite IPAs. (1,554 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Langunitas IPA. Full fatted finger head off the tap, followed by a clean, sharp cantaloop, cucumber melon family aroma, and a bitter Hoppy taste, not creamy, but medium body, not light and all dimed out like old girl after the third shift at Mustang Ranch by teh fermentations. Like that description in mixed company, it's not at all what that one might expect from something near the color around de Meh-iller time. There is a sweetness, but well balanced like fresh melon, which is sort of diabolical. Even now I'm humming "Cantaloop," from the 90's.

Now, I'm not sure it's a GTO 420 big block flavor, as the billboard suggests, but I'd sure go again. (655 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased today and enjoying right now with a grilled burger dinner. Smell is great, piney and citrussy hops are present. Taste is very good. Not an overpowering IPA, it is very balanced. The mouth feel is excellent and the drinkability is great as well. Great to see this finally hit Vegas so I can drink more of it! (317 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Exactly what I expect and what I want from an IPA! Thank you Lagunitas for making this fantastic beer that paired perfectly with my dinner of Mediterranean Sea Scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tossed in angel hair pasta. This dinner became the stand out meal from my trip to Lake Tahoe thanks in part to this beer. Now for the review.

Translucent copper amber color with a lacing that hugs the glass - sticky icky. Citrus hop fragrance. The taste almost rivals the hoppiness of a DIPA but there is the stupendous balance of malted sweetness. This coats the mouth with a medium body and has a high drinkability in my book. I am going to have this around this spring and summer! (681 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a short, fat, 12oz bottle copped singly from Total Wine and More in Union, pours a beautiful golden-amber color with an impressive head…good start… smell is very hoppy… nice presence coming through… crisp, clear, and inviting… Taste was really great… caramel and bready hoppiness with butter flavors… crisp, clean, no bitterness… awesome IPA… first-ever brew from Lagunitas and was really impressed… surprised I don’t hear more from this company… Drinkability was likewise great… went down smooth without any acidic or bitter aftertones present… A great example of the style… one of the better American IPAs out there… Definitely Recommended (662 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid go-to IPA. Some would call it a benchmark by which other IPAs should be judged. Excellent floral notes in the aroma, and clean finish with every swig. The only thing keeping me from giving it a higher review is that I feel the flavor profile could benefit from a slightly higher alcohol content to give those aromas the extra punch they deserve. (361 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite IPA. It's flavor is so pleasant and extremely drinkable. Though the ABV is not very high, compared to other IPA's, it is still a very pleasurable drinking experience. On a summer afternoon I could knock these back all day. Have tried it in bottles and was somewhat let down, but as a draft. Mm mm. (317 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a clear light amber, almost copper with a one-finger head that fades to a decent layer of clingy foam.

Big grapefruity citrus hop aromas bursting from this one. Sweet pale malts with just a hint of caramel. Touch of spicy pine and alcohol.

Grapefruit and orange lead into a nice lightly roasted malt flavor that finishes on a more woodsy and grassy hop note. Nice easy lingering bitterness. West coast IPA all the way.

Nice low-moderate carbonation gives a soft mouthfeel.

Supremely drinkable WC IPA, definitely want more than one or two of these. Underrated. (569 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a very light amber with an inch of head. Nice lacing throughout. Smells of good malt, citrus and grapefruit hops. I liked the taste it came off hoppy and smooth and the ABV was lower than Dogfish head which made it more succession-able. I even have a place now where I can get this for 9.99 a sixer!

Overall this is a great IPA that I will consider getting more often (374 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a light copper blond with an oily white head, which left some faint lace on the walls of the glass.

Smell: Piny with hints of grapefruit and hop resins

Flavor: Enters a bitter pine with abrasive carbonation. The middle is swimming with pale malts which blend with the bitterness of the hops before leading to a sweet and slightly wet lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied, easily sessionable, mild IPA. (468 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my staple beers in the frig. A thick head when poured, leaving nice lacing behind. Rich notes of pine and citrus on the nose. A medium-light mouthfeel, with a hint of alcohol on the finish. For hop fans like me, the biting tang left by the hop taste is refreshing. (279 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Just a classic IPA. My go to IPA. It has the classic hoppy bitter flavor I crave. Leaves that great bitter hoppy taste in your mouth. Just a quintessential west coast IPA. Not too strong. Well balanced. A very drinkable IPA that still gives you the hoppy bitter flavor your crave. (280 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Copper color with heavy carbonation noted. A HUGE head, the bartender had to let it settle for several minutes. (Brand new keg) The lacing was beautiful all the way to the end of the pint glass.

S: Strong floral and pine hops with a something sweet. I'm not sure just what that was. Impressive.

T: At the outset I noticed sweet and pine. Then the middle floral kicks in and last to the end. The finish was slightly dry and sweet again it was a good balance and mix of tastes and textures.

M: Medium and still bubbly. Kept me wanting more.

O: Great IPA that adequately did justice to the Sheppard's Pies for dinner. Not the least bit overbearing, and I would drink this again. (683 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass at the Carolina Ale Works in Columbia, SC.
The aroma is citrus and pine, very nice.
Appearance is a golden amber color.
Taste is a nice hop blend with citrus as the backdrop. Overall, this is a very good beer. Highly recommended (268 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I picked up a six-pack and I can tell by the refreshing punch that it was fresh. I have read in other reviews that they have had old past their prime brews. This beer is a decent IPA, when fresh.
appearance:orange/amber, lightly cloudy
smell: hoppy, citrus
taste: crisp,cold,exciting
Mouthfeel: medium body
Drinkability: Excellent drinkability, I could finish my sixer and grab another. (386 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Nice light copper color with foamy tan head Impressed by the hop aroma. Earthy smell. Hop taste stays in mouth awhile, medium body, not overly bitter, really a nice beer.. I'll have another (189 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Excellent Beer. Not the best IPA I have ever had, but one of the tops for the price. Rates up there with Dogfish 60, Great Divide, and Ithaca Flower Power. Full bodied beer. Pleasant to drink. Typical, well hopped. My only hesititation was a twist off top! Now interesting enough, I needed to use a bottle opener to get it opened, but definitely a twist-off. Of course that has nothing to do with the beer quality, just used to microbrews with a pop-top. Try It! (462 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

22 oz bottle poured into my Allagash glass.

Appearance: Wonderful burnished copper color. Thin white head -- the foam didn't stick around for long, but the bubbles continue to rise.

Aroma: 43 hops and 65 malts, you say? It definitely creates a wonderfully earthy melange on the nose. Whiffs of multi-grain crackers (ak-mak?), saltwater, green hop cones, oregano, grapefruit, white pepper.

Taste: A perfect 5 IPA taste for me! Minerally bite, smooth bitterness that slakes the thirst and leaves me craving for more, and a firm malt backbone that really ties the room together. Wonderful.

Palate: Crisp, brisk, but ever-so-slightly sticky at the end to keep it from a 4.5 or 5.

Overall: Damn this is a good one. And the pairing ideas in my head keep spinning: Mexican food with fresh salsa, Indian curries, thick grilled bison-cheeseburgers, a hearty sharp cheese plate...or by itself on a hot, humid summer day. (915 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance - Clear amber with a frothy off white head.

Aroma - Very pleasant citrus and orange zest aromas.

Palate - Smooth medium bodied brew.

Flavor - Smooth sweet citrus flavor followed by a sharp grapefruit finish.

Final thoughts - An awesome American IPA. (266 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

copper color. good head retention.

smells strongly of grassy and floral hops.

tastes initially sweet and malty. maybe a little bit caramel...? tastes of grassy and piney hops. the bitterness is a little more pronounced than the sweetness in the finish.

this is a medium bodied beer with a soft finish, which allows the flavor to linger.

this is a good-ass ipa with a subtle complexity(which i reckon lies in the malt bill) that makes you want to drink more. (463 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber (bottled on January 16, 2012) into a 22oz Libbey Citation snifter

A- Pours (thanks to the bottle conditioning) a freckled, deep orange with a 1 finger, soapy white head.

S- Pungent aroma consisting of sweet citrus, a bit of pine with hints of tropical fruit. An incredible aroma for a standard IPA.

T- As with the nose, sweet citrus is followed by a mild piney/tacky dry finish. Very sessionable...well done and refreshing

M- Expected from a West Coast brewery for the style. Moderate carbonation courtesy from the California/American Ale yeast strain.

O- Nothing over the top...but for a standard IPA, I think it is excellent. What's more, this is one of the best flagship brews that I have sampled. Drinks much larger than a brew boasting a modest 6.2% ABV. (790 characters)

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company