Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 06-03-2013

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 39
3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Hey while we're writing reviews for sour stouts, gotta include this one.

Appearance wasn't its strong suit, was leaning towards that brown ale and porter territory in the appearance moreso than a stout. Aroma had a lot going on, roast, cherry, lactosour, barrel, wine.

Taste leans fat on the sour and roast. Good, we're coming back to predictable, reliable territory for such a beer. Made for one of the better reasons to stop in the taphouse that day. Definitely not a run of the mill beer.

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

What a polarizing beer. An appreciation for a sour stout is probably necessary. This one is a weird one I guess.

Kind of an ugly brown and black mixture. I is not impressed. Looks like homebrew blending.

Aroma gave the impression of multiple complexities throughout. Some stouty grain, cherry, lacto, oak, wine. Left me intrigued.

Taste was where you thought NB may have been trying to go with Clutch. Hit heavy with the roasted malt and sour notes. A dab of cherry, a dab of cherrywood. Chocolate/cocoa bringing up the tail end. Described as white wine barrel, but boy the thought of red really crossed my mind. Some chalkiness of what feels like brett in there as well.

Not a beer you invite a noob to check out. I would tell someone who was disappointed with Clutch to dig it up though.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Arrives somewhat flat looking for a stout, with the black liquid capped by a thin film of mocha

Smell: Vinous and somewhat tart, with undertones of black bread and chocolate

Taste: The vinous character imparted by the Pinot Noir wine barrels hits the tastebuds, up front, followed shortly by the tart aspect caused by the wild yeast strains; in the middle, dark fruit, black bread and chocolate layers add complexity though the finish brings a return to the tart wine grape flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: A real treat to have tried this rare beer; an example of the wonders that both the wine barrel and wild yeast strains can bring to a beer

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap at the Firestone Walker 2013 fest. It was one of the only 'secret' beers, and it did not disappoint.

Poured out a ruddy brown and black mixture. It was not impressive looking, looked like beginner homebrewed porter/brown/stout hodgepodge. Aroma was quite complex, it gave you a little stout, a little cherry?, a little lacto, a little barrel, a little wine not. While enjoyable, I was wondering where this beer was about to take me.

Taste, wow, it came off like how Clutch was supposed to taste. A sour stout. Plenty of roasted malt characteristics, plenty of sourness. A little bit of cherry. A little bit of wood. Solid amount of chocolate, cocao. While billed as being in a white wine barrel, I really thought I was getting red intrusions, especially with the cherry nuance. A little brett chalkiness that sticks to your teeth in the mouthfeel.

Its definitely not a beer I would recommend to someone relatively new to the world of beer, it will probably come off as something entirely unintended. I would highly recommend it to someone who was disappointed with Clutch. This is probably what they were hoping for instead.

So I guess its a little polarizing in that regard. If you have an appreciation for what a sour stout is, check this out. If this is all new to you, you might want to sit this one out and try the more conventional stuff available to you.

1.36/5  rDev -65.4%

I'll admit off the bat that this beer, which I received on tap at The Gingerman in New York City, was just not my style. In short, the beer tasted like stale wine that had been left sitting on a radiator. No one at my table could stand more than a sip. My craft-loving friend was animated and convinced that the bar's keg had gone bad, and was aghast when the waitress insisted it was supposed to take like that.

I've come to understand that grape-y sewage may have been the flavor Lagunitas was going for when it brewed the Sonoma County Stout. If so, then I congratulate them on the achievement, and I can confirm that they have not only concocted a beverage suitable for anyone who enjoys the taste of skunky Guinness mixed with a jug of Welch's that got left in the garage over the summer, but also potentially violated the Geneva convention.

To get through the basics, in terms of appearance, the beer looked like any other stout, very dark brown with minimal foam. Which is to say, my friends and I had no sign or warning of what fresh, feculant hell we were about to imbibe. The smell was deceptively subdued, with a standard whiff of tartness and just a hint of the decaying compost that lay beneath. With respect to "mouthfeel," it felt like a beer that you no longer wish to feel in your mouth any longer. It was lightly carbonated with something of a sticky, inescapable aftertaste that lingered much longer than my hope of having spent $7 on a drink I would actually like to consume.

As you may have surmised, I would only recommend this beer if you want to use a attempt to wake up a coma patient with a full frontal assault on their tastebuds or to subtly indicate to a friend or loved one that you don't actually like them. If so, Lagunitas has you covered. Otherwise, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at the 2013 Firestone Walker Invitational held at the Paso Robles Event Center in Paso Robles, CA.

Billed as being aged in a pinot barrel with Brett and lacto.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, sour grape, and funky aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity and funk flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of Brett bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some interesting aromas and flavors.

Sonoma County Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.