Horny Toad IPA - Mogollon Brewing Company

Horny Toad IPAHorny Toad IPA

Mogollon Brewing Company
Arizona, United States

If you like big, bold, pronounced hop character, then this beer is for you. One taste and you’ll find yourself right smack in the middle of Hop Head Heaven! But this beer has more to offer than just hops. We use tons of the finest malted barley available to balance out this beer. The result of our efforts is a beer with a magnitude of hop aroma and bite, yet perfectly balanced with a clean, crisp malty flavor. WARNING: This beer is not intended for the masses that prefer a mild domestic beer, It’s big, bold characteristics and 7.1% a.b.v. are not intended for the weak.

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-16-2003)
Reviews by kdoc8:
3.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had this on tap at the Mogollan Brewery in Flagstaff, AZ. It is listed at 7.8% ABV, I just don’t believe this is a 7.8% beer - I barely tasted any alcohol at all. I barely tasted any hops either, which makes me wonder at the alcohol content. It poured a nice deep red-gold color with a thickish cream colored bubbly head. The flavor, if anything, was hops, but that wasn't too strong.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This poured a deep, hazy orange and produced an incredible head that went down very slowly, forming pits and leaving lace all the way down.

Smell – Wow! The giant aromatic pine resin just jumps right through the frothy head. I can pick up a strong malt balance as well, but it’s the sharp hop smell that gets my mouth watering.

Taste – Man, this is good. The sharp piney hops are all over the tongue, and the creamy malt base is just enough to keep things balanced. This is all about the hoppy IPA flavors, though, and here it delivers in spades.

Mouthfeel – Incredibly smooth and creamy. This is a tad light of medium-bodied but extraordinarily well-blended.

Drinkability – I tried to sip this for the review, but I just couldn’t stop sucking this thing down. This has “session ale” written all over it, despite the high ABV.

Comments – A huge BA Thanks to Gusler for shipping me out this bomber, which put my Beer Karma over 750 and gave me a little extra splash for good luck : )

4.18/5  rDev +1%

The beer as it sets in my glass a hazy golden orange color with a ton of dross floating around, the head is preposterous in size, creamy in its texture and a brilliant white color as it slowly fades away a thick and sticky sheet of lace clings mightily to the glass. Ah that wonderful hop aroma dominates with a tart and fresh backing also sweet malt makes its presence known and quite pleasant to the senses, start is rich in malt, ambrosial with the top full in its feeling to the palate. Finish is persistent in its acidic bite with the hops dynamic in their spiciness and the aftertaste hop bitter and desert dry, first time I’ve seen this in a bottle, and have not sampled it for quite some time, a pleasure to see it available, somewhere other than the high country.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

This arrived with a thick, off-white head with good retention. The nose was citrusy with a lot of Cascade hops in evidence. The color was medium-amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was medium with a lot of Cascade hops bitterness on the tongue. The finish was likewise very hoppy. I felt like I could breathe again.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

From notes at Old Chicago (2001): Pours a hazy reddish orange with a fluffy white head. Aroma wafts of citrus, pine hops and bready malts. Flavor is slightly tart citrus, with a nice bready malt backbone, not real sweet so the hops come to forefront. The more you drink, the more the citrus just hangs on the tongue, absolutely delicious. Mouthfeel is creamy all over the tongue but light and refreshing at the same time. Overall a very enjoyable beer from Arizona!

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

First of all, thanks ot Gusler for shipping me this delicious IPA. Served from a 22oz bomber, label graphics depicting well, what else but a real horny toad. Poured out a bright peach color, quite opaque and foamy as hell, the head on this beer just didn't stop, he horny toad was a little rambuncitous in his effervescence. The slightly off white head dissipated very slowly and chunkily, clinging to the sides of the glass for dear life.
Aroma was sharp, full of citrus laced with pne needles and a bit of fresh cut grass thrown in. Just a bit of maltiness detectable. Taste was again bold and citrusy hoppy at first, though not overhopped at all, this is actually a well balanced beer. Hops fade into a nice pale/biscuity malt flavor, nice creaminess. Nice subtle bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. Body is an easy medium, and quite smooth in the mouthfeel. Very tasty IPA, and very drinkable indeed.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

This beer wins for my favorite label of all time. Vibrantly colored Horny Toad with an angry eye, deep teal background and Apache style boarder.
The beer, is slightly hazy, orange amber color with steady carbonation. White head shows good retention and lots of laceing.

The aroma is all wild flowers and tangerines with a hint of glazed donut malt on the fringe. Wonderful and a bit different from other IPA's of the same "ilk". ( ie: Left coast)

Flavor is soft malt up front and then explosive hops thru the middle , end and long after. Bittering hops dominate and as it warms, some sharp pine flavors come thru along side a light caramel malt for an attempt at balance. Medium bodied mouth feel that feels lighter cold - let this one warm up to find the malt backbone.

The finish is hop, hop, hop.... and in a good way. This beer is a bit harsh ( even for me) and the hops tip the scales a bit too much to thier side. This was a fairly fresh bottle I think, and aging a year or two may soften and mellow this angry Toad out some.
Well worth a try, and a MUST for any bottle collector.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Ah, the review to put over the top and into the illustrious mug club. A special thanks to Gusler for sending me this regional brew that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten to appreciate.

Pours a hazy reddish orange with a fluffy white head.

Aroma wafts of citrus, pine hops and bready malts.

Overall a very enjoyable beer. Not the most complex or "wowing" beer but an excellent, well made beer that is better than so many other IPAs.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

This beer is a clear orange color, it has a slight bit of chill haze. Lots of hop aroma with a slight malty aroma, smells of a toasty - roasted biscuit type aroma. After the first sip I knew that this was not what I was expecting from an IPA. Yes there is lots of hop flavor, it is nicely bitter. But this beer is very toasty tasting. Lots of biscuit malt flavors, which I have never experienced thus far in an IPA. There could be a bit more bitterness and hop flavor to this beer, it would match well with the toasted notes. This beer is also fairly dry. I have to give props to the brewers for this toasty interpretation of an IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Found this up in Sedona, AZ this past weekend. Pours a nice orange color resulting in a nice head that held its own down the glass leaving a fine lacing. What you see is what you get with this IPA, lots of hop smell and taste. The hop used left a very dry aftertaste, overpowering other potential tastes coming in the aftermath. There was a medium mouthfeel, not too thin, not too thick. Overall drinkability was good, nice little change of pace from the typical western IPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Light Golden color, one-finger head with some lacing. Head has a little golden color, too.

S: Very hoppy. Cascade, if I am not wrong...

T: Hops, hops, hops. Well, what did you expect?

M: Smooth, nice.

D: Not so much hops that your tongue goes numb,

I have drank a lot of these in one session before.

Any time I am staying at http://www.shootingstarinn.com just north of Flagstaff, I stock up on my way through town.

I am, admittedly a hophead, so I am a bit biased. But this brew has made me quite happy many a times. It goes well with a campfire on the east side of Sunset Crater. A medium bodied, well hopped IPA. I love this BEER! I make a point of buying as many bombers as I can, or 6packs as I can to cart back home to So Cal and pass out to appreciative friends, as well as horde a few to last me a month (when possible). I don't get this beer often enough. All hopheads must try this great ale in Az!

Appearance:lovely hazy tangerine-ish color, with a nice, solid, bubbly and spotted white head, though soonly settling.
Aroma: big hops, huge fruit, peach, apricot, some grapefruit, tiny touch of pine, lively and arousing. One nice IPA nose!
Taste: hops swim freely in the mouth, fully flavorful, but not too bitter. Medium bodied, with a long, tasty, hoppy finish. Hops never quit in this beautiful IPA, just continue to please the tongue.
This 22oz. bomber was nothing but good, and I have the Great Gusler to thank for it's present presence in my happy mouth.

Horny Toad IPA from Mogollon Brewing Company