Maharaja Premium India Pilsner - Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.

Maharaja Premium India PilsnerMaharaja Premium India Pilsner

Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-23-2002

3.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Pale, yellow color with no head or lace. Very little carbonation.

Smell: Nice fruit component and slight malt attribute.

Taste: Fruit-like taste (apples) with a hint of malt and hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin.

Drinkability: A tasty and interesting brew.

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

Had this at an Indian restaurant and thought it was the Maharaja imperial IPA....nope.

a - Pale straw color; clear.

s - Not much there but the typical thin, lager-alcohol smell.

t - Very subdued, nothing to really make it stand out amongst other lagers.

m - Smoother than most pilsners, but still crisp.

d - Not bad, but I think I would pass on it next time.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

My first Indian beer was a light yellow color in a pilsner glass at Saffron Indian Cuisine.

This beer has a malty smell but otherwise a nondistinct aroma.

The taste is sweet and slightly grainy taste from corn. I know this pilsner has been ripped on here, but it complimented a spicy Indian meal with its sweetness.

Maharaja is light-bodied and means supreme king in Sanskrit. It's very drinkable and doesn't have that dreaded skunkiness that plagues American lagers or other lawn mower beers.

3.19/5  rDev +13.9%

Randomly picked this up; thought an Indian beer would be interesting. I'm definitely no expert on Pilseners.

A) ginger ale. light, fizzy, no real head.

S and T) mild and sweet - apple, corn, water

MF) thin, watery

D) Overall, it's okay. Nothing too exciting, but it was pleasant enough, just kind of sweet and bland. Could be good to balance out some spicy food or something.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

I got this at the little store attached to the deli in Clayton. We got indian food so my mom bought me and my dad some indian beer.

Appearance- pale yellow color, little to no head

Smell- malt

Taste- malt

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- probably wouldn't drink it again but I would if someone gave one to me.

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a crystal clear yellow with a tiny head that instantly fled in embarrassment. The aroma was malty/metallic. The taste was sweet/sour, not really something that I look forward to again. The feel was light bodied with little carbonation. Drinkability was decent if your in the Sahara with a Maharaja (you've got the market on a's cornered). Weak, even for a German/Indian Pilsner.

2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

Live review. Poured from a 300ml bottle into my SN Anniversary Ale pint glass. Purchased at Lena's Beverage in Painesville a few days ago for the odd price of $1.39. I admit that I pretty much bought this beer since I had not had a beer from India prior to now.

A Looks like a Bud. Straw yellow translucent body under a very brief white fluffy 2 inch head that dissipated nearly as I set the pint glass on the table after pouring. It is just now a trace layer of bubbles on the top now.

S Corn malt and barley. Light and forgettable, like a Miller or Coors.

T Yeah, this is pretty bad. Lightly sweetened corn based Pilsener with really little taste. Reminds me of the last time that I had a Bud Light only this is not as fresh as that one was.

M Thin with only that bit of sweetness and light corn malt to keep it from being downright watery.

D Good but I will not test that theory in the future.

Notes: Well, I have now had a beer from India but now I shall seek out a beer from India that has some depth to it (The guy working at Lena's....who is from Bombay....said that this, "Taj Mahal" and a third beer are the most common beers there....he did not say which is his favorite though).

1.99/5  rDev -28.9%

My first beer from India. At least that's a milestone of a sort.

Appearance: Transparent yellow body, very slight orange tinge. Very minimal head that dissipates immediately, leaving only slight traces of soapscum. Not an auspicious start.

Smell: Very sweet, strong notes of corn. Uncomplex, but decent. Not spectacular, but sets the stage for what might be a decent pils.

Taste: This one is way off. Too sweet on the up-front, almost lip-puckeringly so. Unpleasant corn aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Decent. Thin body, goes down clean like a pilsner should. Flat, with almost no carbonation.

Drinkability: Maybe this would go better with curry, or maybe it just doesn't travel well, but I'm very unimpressed.

3.3/5  rDev +17.9%

Ordered a bottle tonight while at dinner at India Quality restaurant in Kenmore Sq. Poured into a tall stemmed glass. Crystal clear, yellow colored body. Fairly nice looking white head. Plenty of carbonation. Had that typical corn-like smell. Decent pilsner flavor, with a bit of maltiness. Body was on the thin side. I wish this beer was a bit more crisp, as it had a definite sugary and sticky aftertaste. For a macro from India, this was not a horrible beer. I've had worse exotic beer than this; I'd order one again. A nice brew to accompany some chicken and lamb dishes.

2.38/5  rDev -15%

very light transparent yellow. white foam that quickly disappears.

smells like breads and malts. no hop aroma

tastes much the same.

i wouldn't see myself having one of these unless i was in the actual country it was bottled. it was only 1.50$ so i figured i'd try it. a bit refreshing (because you are drinking mostly water) wouldn't have it again.

2.56/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Slightly hazy gold color with leisurely carbonation. Soapy white head is small and has OK retention. Leaves a very nice lace.

S: Lemon, grass, light honey and a bit of cooked cabbage greet the nose.

T: Very light. A slightly sweet malt flavor starts things out. Hops come along with a mild lemon and pepper bite. The pepper lingers into the finish. A subdued metallic taste joins in at the end. As the beer warms, cooked cabbage rears its ugly head.

M: Medium light body is a tiny bit grainy. Carbonation level feels about right.

D: Not that impressive to me. The light flavor certainly makes it go down quick. At cold temps, the beer is halfway decent. Letting it warm kills the experience, sadly. Overall, a very mediocre brew.

4.23/5  rDev +51.1%

The foam was light wheat/ white in color. The color was a nice honey pils. The smell was crisp and clean with a nice hoppy feel. The taste had a good hops overtone with a fruity undertone and wheat highlights. Mouthfeel - smooth and crisp. Drinkability - easy going down.

2.16/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 bottle from 11/07--wish I had seen that date before buying. Pours a clear light gold with a fizzy, medium white head. Smells faintly of sweet malt and straw. Essentially devoid of all taste. Almost no malt and only a lingering bitterness. I've never had a beer that tasted like nothing before; it's really quite strange. Thin body. Drinks about like a flat Perrier. Bud has more character than this.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a champagne glass.

Appearance: Pours a very, very, pale yellow (kind of like tainted water). Good visibility. Fairly active carbonation feeds a 1-finger, fizzy, white head. Not a whole lot of retention. Some stringy lace left on the walls of the glass.

Smell: Sour lager yeast, lemon rind, grainy malt, grass, and a touch of skunkiness.

Taste: Grainy malt, lager yeast, hop bitterness in the back. Some lemon again, grass, possibly some celery, and somewhat skunky adjuncts (that's my guess of what it is anyway).

Mouthfeel: Light and clean. Good balance. Nice, active carbonation. Probably this beer's best quality.

Drinkability: Below average pilsener, but much better than any macro. Nothing else to say about this one.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm surprised how unpopular this beer is

With that said, I found it just fine. Not spectacular, but not terrible. I think culture needs to take aspect with beer. For example, I could see enjoying this beer while eating a very spicy curry dish or some lamb. By itself? Ehhh, just an average beer, not good / not bad.

2.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a crystal clear gold with almost no head or lacing, even after a hard pour.

Had a grassy aroma, and that's about all I could pick up.

Tasted bready, with the grain and grass also playing a part. Not bad tasting really.

Mouthfeel was thin, with a slight amount of carbonation to give it a bit of crispness.

This beer wasn't that bad, although it also didn't make me want another. I came across it while on vacation, it was cheap, I tried it, and that's pretty much gonna be the end of the story with this beer.

1.6/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, lager yeast and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready with flavors of grain and lager yeast. There's a little malt sweetness and almost no hops presence. There really isn't much to this beer. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, mild kick, not the best representation of style, this is definitely not a beer that I would want to drink again.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pale yellow brew with a slight haze. Tight, white head.

Smell: Touch of hops and green beans.

Taste: Smooth malt flavor. Slight touch of bitterness. Nothing really stands out about this brew but it has a decent flavor. Slightly tangy.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Semi waxy.

Drinkablity: Pretty decent brew. It was an interesting offering I was not able to pass up. I figured that I may not get a second chance to try an Indian brew.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Got this in a restaurant in Ashland, Oregon. From the bottle this poured a clear light corn colored yellow with a fizzy highly carbonated head with light lacing.

Nose of caramel malts, citrus and grassy hops and some yeast. . The mouthfeel is light but smooth.
Grassy and citrus hops dominate the flavor. The yeast does not show up here. Finish is slightly bitter and watery. An average German Pilsener that went well with the spicy food.

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

Ok, so India is not exactly known for it's beer scene but this just looked pretty cool so I had to pick it up.

A - Bright yellow...like someone milked a highlighter into a glass of water. This is crystal clear and topped with a very thin cap of tiny white bubbles. Nothing but a slightly thicker collar is found around the edges of the glass...no lace at all.

S - I have never, in my beerxperience, smelled anything remotely like this. It smells like some sort of weird spice mingled with some bizarre exotic fruit nectar. It smells a lot like an Indian friend's house after they have cooked a large meal for guests. It's a very pungent and unfamiliar smell, and it makes me think of my favorite Indian restaurant in town...there is something (I have no idea what it's called) served there that is intended as a garnish or topping...it's dry and flaky, and sort of like what we would think of as that red pepper stuff you sprinkle on pizza. Anyhow, this is what I'm reminded of.

T - Wow. This is a unique brew! Spicy, herbal, exotic, and odd. This is amazing stuff, but not in the traditional beer sense. This is almost like another beverage entirely. There are some Saaz hop flavors....quite pronounced actually....so I see why this is listed as a German pils, but I'm almost thinking this should be under the "herbed/spiced beer" category.

M - Light, crisp, and refreshing with an extremely dry finish...all qualities that should definitely be found in this style of beer. The lingering aftertaste of weird fruits and herbs is intriguing, and I think that this is definitely well suited for spicy Indian cuisine.

D - One of the strangest beers that I've had in a while. I thought that it would be a pretty basic macro lager and boy was I wrong. This tastes like a good German pils with added Indian spice. Good stuff IMO!

Note: I have a major problem with this 11oz bottle BS. Where is my extra ounce? It seems like a lot of Belgian and other European beers (Germany and England aside....they like their bottle BIG) are shorting us with 11 ounce beers that cost the same as, if not more than every other 12 oz beer out there. What gives? Is this just due to their standard of 330ml being a nice solid number? I know it's not a big deal, but I just don't want to see the next trend being 10oz or 9oz bottles that cost the same as they did when they were a nice round 12oz!

3.39/5  rDev +21.1%

Paid $1.49 for an 11 oz bottle of this from BevMo in San Jose, CA. This is my staple beer I drink when going to my favorite Indian Restaurant. With their selections being Taj Mahal or this, I have come to the conclusion this is a better match with the hellish spicy food they usually give me. Trying this one for the first time on its own, served in a pint glass.

Very fizzy, carbonated and light with a one inch head. Transparent yellow color, but more on the corn colored spectrum than most yellow beers. Thin layer of head retention. Nice lacing, especially for a yellow/Pilsener.

Smells of average quality ingredients; malts, hops and some yeast smells. All of these come through on their own, but don't really blend together for a nice bouquet.

Grassy and citrusy hops dominate the palate. The yeast cannot really be tasted, and the malts, even though taste to be lower quallity (along with the hops), balance out this one well.

Lighter bodied, heavy carbonation. Watery finish.

An above average German Pilsener and one that goes great with spicy food. Not sure why this one ranks so low.

2.62/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pours an effervescent straw color with golden hues. A thin head fizzes away quickly and leaves a small lace that clings to the edge of the glass. Appears a little lifeless.

S: Bready pilsner malt aroma with a faint herbal, grassy hop note. Not quite the heady aroma I was expecting from a pils.

T: Sweet cracker-like pilsner malt flavor is first, followed by a slight herbal hop bitterness at the back of the palate. It finishes dry and astringent with a slight metallic flavor.

M & D: Light bodied and somewhat drinkable, but after a few the astringency and metallic flavor would become cloying. I had one, and was happy I stopped there.

Don't think I'll be coming back to this one. I was looking for something unique, and decided to pick this up. The only unique things about it ended up being the cool label and its origin. Everything else about this beer is bland and middle-of-the-road.

4.07/5  rDev +45.4%

This is pretty good and definitely in the tradition of a German pilsner, which it clearly seemed to me.

Golden, it has a medium white head that steadily shrinks to a thin top and ring.

The aroma is rather flowery with grain, honey, bread, pine and a grassy hint.

The taste is quite German with the first sip being mostly strongly herbal and grassy hops with bitterness, soon tamed with sweet bread cruast and grain and a hint pf pine bringing up the rear. It soon mellows and melds together, with a malty, lightly bready sweetness underlying the dominant and aromatic herbal-grassy hop bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev +38.6%

11 Fl oz. bottle > 16 0z. SA glass ($1.65)
MFD: 03/07 Batch No. 35 US

Pours out a very clear pale golden color, very active with large bubbles and a creamy, bubbly 1/2" deep head. Retantion is very good for this style with mild lacing.

Smells of honey-soaked doughy bread with tangy yeast and sweet grapes. Banana, vanilla and lemmon. This is much more aromatic than I remember from the few times I had this at several Indian Restuarant's.

This is a very flavorful Imported Pilsner with a honey-bread with corn type malt flavor with subtle wheatie attributes. The balance is sublime as the sweetness mellows on the palate a blast of slightly fruity and earthy yeast notes and dried herbs but also zesty hop finish. The complexity was a big surprise.

Very light bodied, very crisp, clean and refreshing, finishing a bit dry.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with the rest of BA on this one, I found nothing very cheap about it except the price. I was actually expecting much less but was happily jazzed after.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

According to the label, this Indian Pilsner is "produced from the finest malt and imported hops with technical expertise of Belgian brewers" and it really shows in this "Premium" pils (lager)...NOT! Is this Busch Bavarian Beer?, yodel,yodel.

It pours a light straw, yellow-gold with a small white foam cap. Although well carbonated, the head dies quickly, leaving traces of lace behind.

Dusty, bitter-sweet malt fills the nose with a small waft of grassy hops to the finish.The flavor follows suit, with some corn adjunct taste to it and a watery finish that is clean. Strange soapish mouthfeel that renders this beer to an average at best...try it if you dare.

Maharaja Premium India Pilsner from Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.