4th Year Beer - Revolution Brewing Company

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: BrownAleMale on 02-09-2014

Our 4th Year Beer, or “Quadruple," is inspired by the traditional Trappist strong ales produced in the abbey breweries of Belgium. Brewed with Pilsner, Munich, and Caramunich malts, the resulting beer has a deep chestnut hue. Rich flavors and aromas of fresh bread, dark fruits, honey and brown sugar are up front with the Belgian yeast strain contributing a punch of spice and fruity esters wafting up with every sip.

German Magnum and Cascade hops impart an earthy, spicy hop character. Hops are definitely not the star of the show here - just enough bitterness and flavor to ensure balance in the finished product. Dextrose and dark Belgian candi sugar boost the sugar concentration and impart a dried fruit character to this huge ale. Chamomile flowers to add to the complex aromas we have already imparted.

We are serving this beer in a 10 oz. tulip not only for presentation purposes, but more so for the sensory evaluation potential. Such a complex beer as this needs to be swirled and then have the shape of the glass allow you to take in all the wonderful aromas that are released.

to view more.
Ratings: 113 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by Flabbyjandro:
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Deep amber, almost purplish hue. Little visual carbonation and never any head.

Sweet, sugary, dark fruits. Plums, grapes, dates. I really have to draw in to get a good whiff.

Bready as hell. Plums, even grape soda.

Heavy body, light on the carbonation.

Really sweet, yet drinkable for 11%.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Into the Revolution tulip from the 4th year party, it pours a glinting dark reddish copper with a thin layer of tan foam on the surface that was slow to materialize and quick to fade. Minimal spotty lace around the edges, lacks good surface coverage.

Light aromas of brown sugar, clove, dates, Belgian yeast esters.

Rich and slightly syrupy, some residual sugar, deeply malty with nutty and sweet toffee caramel sauce flavors. Light heat from the 11.5% abv, but overall it's pretty smooth. Medium to full bodied and chewy, slightly sticky on the lips. Overall it's worth trying, but still looking for a really great American quad.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a snifter.

3.25 A: Clear mahogany brown color. Didn't get much of a head to form, just a thin light brown wisp.

3.5 S: Smells more like a barleywine than a quad. Dense sweet maltiness. Huge raisin overlying brown sugar. The chamomile is faint compared to the raisin. Plum and a touch of peppery spice.

3.5 T: The taste is quite sweet and malty as well. Big on the raisin again with lots of booze. Rum raisin cake comes to mind. Brown sugar, plum, molasses, caramel. Again the chamomile gets lost in the other flavors.

3.5 M: Big, thick heavy body. This is the kind of body I like on stouts, but not so much on quads. Good amount of carbonation, but lacking the spritziness I like from Belgian styles. Creamy and smooth with a boozy afterburn.

3.5 D: It's not bad, but it's far removed from the typical quad. Give it a try.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Admittedly, my pour was not very hard, however there was no head. What little amount of carbonation that brought itself to the surface dissipated as quickly as it appeared. This could just be my experience, however. The color is fun to look at as it is ruby-hued and dark.

Smell: Dark fruit (namely plum and fig. The "dark fruit" smell always reminds me of figs and plums). The smell was ester-oriented as opposed to phenolic, while also containing the candi sugar aroma. After smelling this for like 3 minutes straight, I do detect a chocolatey aroma. Very sweet smelling, is what I am getting at.

Taste: Spicy, malty, sweet (candi sugar), and hints of grape/wine. As it warms up, I get the earthy tones that are from the hops, according to the menu description. I also taste some grassiness. I had this when it released and I like that I am now getting the spicy tones and a more pronounced bread-like malt flavor as opposed to just sweetness. That could be attributed to a change in palate or the fact that I have had this bottle for a few months, now.

At the finish, there is a lot of warmth from the alcohol. One thing this beer does especially well is hide the alcohol. I also am hit with another bout of spice at the finish.

Mouthfeel: This is thick. The beer switches from sticky and syrupy to grainy as I move it from my mouth. This is, by far, my favorite part about the beer.

This was a great beer for the price. I paid 10 bucks for each of my bottles, at the brewery, and I am glad to have purchased a few. It seems to be holding up well after a few months. I wonder if this will hold up for another year?

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance-
Medieval brown. Small bubbles raising to add to the burnt white head. Little light shines through, but you are treated with a deep red.

Smell-
Sweet and thick. The sweetness is fruity (plums, grapes), and a pleasant Belgian yeast afterwards.

Taste-
Follows the nose, and comes tumbling in extra sweet. So much so I would almost say it is a cider at first. The hops and yeast seem muted, but it is decadent.

Mouthfeel-
Thick and syrupy, with small bubbles squeezing in.

Overall-
This could be well placed in an old castles next to tomes of forgotten lore, just have a desire for sweet.

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%

The overwhelming feel here is sugar, dates and stone fruits. Very deep and rich raisiny feel with a sugary and syrupy mouthfeel. Little spice on the backend.

I don't really do reviews, but when I do you can bet it was extremely impressive!
I have spent the last few months dialing in my palate on Belgians.
This one was a surprise arrival at my local Ale House!
I had huge expectations as their Porter/Stout are some of the best I've had. This one didn't let me down at all. Its very complex and pours a deep brown with a coppery tint when held to light. It may be a bit much for a Quad purist, but it has everything I love about Quads with some added galore.
This is the new Benchmark for Quads in my book, previously ABT12.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pours deep cherry / mahogany color with no head at all and a super thin lacing ring.

S - Cherry and sweet caramel malt.

T - Lots of cherries, candy toffee malt, light on the floral character, well blended.

M - Thick, full bodied, slippery, velvet smooth, no carbonation.

O - Nicely done.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep maroon with white head and some clarity. Notes of grape, clove and Belgian yeast come through on the nose in a somewhat muted fashion. Nothing scream chamomile to me. The taste has a non descript flavor profile with light fruity notes and some red grape character. The sweetness is moderate, and the alcohol is well hidden. Mouthfeel is heavy with high carbonation. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer. The flavors are balanced and it fits the style. My problem however is just the lack of character. The flavors come off as muted and I just don't get the chamomile.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pour is murky dark brown with a small amount of tight tan head. Nose is sweet, candied sugar and dark berries, a bit watery with a touch of the herbal aroma. Taste has much more malt depth, caramel and toffee with berry sweetness and a hint of candied sugar. The spice doesn't really come through, the finish is a little thin on flavor. Body is fairly full with decent carbonation and has a bit of alcohol through the finish.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very cool looking label.

Pours a dark brown. Mild spice on the nose. Feel is thick and slick and smooth. Very nice flavor. Sweet, which I admit would probably appeal to me more than others. Mild floral tones with a touch of spice on there too. A nice beer. Easy to drink. I like it. Happy anniversary, Revolution.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Bought this beer while on a weekend trip to Chicago. Brought home to Florida and opened during a bottle share. The chamomile is oppressive, for lack of a better word. The rest of the beer is not bad, but the sweetness made it so that several of the people tasting could not even finish the beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Dark brown but you can kind of see through it. With lost of carbonation.

S- Very sweet with lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and banana.

T/M- Brown sugar, sweet, cinnamon, nutmeg, banana, and a light hop. A lot of carbonation with a nice taste that sticks around.

O- A great beer, it was my first quab but it will not be my last.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours very thick and brown in color with a slightly mahogany, slightly crimson hue to it. Head is very this, about a fourth a finger and retains decently.

Smell is good. Yeast Belgian aromas of clove cinnamon banana and nutmeg are forward over mainly toffee like caramel malt aromas. Smells slightly sharp however there is some faint honey like chamomile aromas near the end.

Taste is good and follows the nose. There is a semi sweet brown sugar malty flavor forward however it vanishes quickly into a strong honey like chamomile floral flavor that is surprisingly more prevalent than in the nose. A big amount of booze and some grain husk flavor finish. Though the flavors in this are huge they tend to be fleeting faster then my palate is able to keep up with until the finish where there is a semisweet long lasting residual toffee like malt finish.

Big sweet sticky feel up front that fades into a floral dryness and along with a sharp flavors and alcohol bite. Finish is dry and very sticky.

2.35/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance - Garnet hued, little carbonation, zero head.

Smell - Sweet port-like.

Taste - Quads are my favorite style so I might be a bit overly critical of the style. There's a lot of sweet red grape, kind of cloying. It's really overly sweet.

Mouthfeel - Flat.

Overall - Quite disappointed. I don't think it's a very good representation of the style at all.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Tulip glass - 55deg C.

A - Not much head when poured aggressively, nice reddish brown body.

S - Lots of cherry and sweet malty notes.

T - Very sweet with slight bite at the finish. Alcohol taste not present.

O - Okay quad, certainly doesn't stack up with the heavy hitters, but is still enjoyable. I probably should have given this another 6 months or a year to see if the flavors mellow out and evolve a bit more.

to view more.