1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cross Of Gold - Revolution Brewing Company

Cross Of Gold
No picture uploaded.

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Crisp golden ale with a delicate hop finish

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH, May 16, 2012

harrylee773, May 10, 2012

matthageman, Mar 27, 2012

mpdrago, Feb 06, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

had this on tap at revolution. Poured into a pint glass with a clear gold color and a nice foamy head

balanced but kind of muted aromas of citrus', grains and a touch of hops as well

medium bodied with a very good feel. The flavors of citrus and grains do lack a bit of depth

a very drinkable beer. It's good and works as a more session type beer. It is what it is

KDawg, Jan 06, 2012

THEOPTIMATOR88, Dec 02, 2011

cadaugherty, Nov 15, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

I've had this one a number of times. Usually when I feel like bouncing around their beer menu for the day, and I've already had their Porter, IPA, and whatever's on cask . The last time I had it, I was informed by my server that the batch was not only really fresh, but was a generation zero yeast crop. The spankin-new yeast produced a product that was far crisper, clearer, and cleaner than any other trial with this ale. The near absent bitterness and hop profile were suddenly quite apparent, and I even detected some fun little spicy esters, though very mild. Near-brilliant gold in color, and exceptionally drinkable. It's downfall is that it's just not that interesting a brew, which is why it's also their no.2 most popular. It's the "fun microbrew option" for your mojito drinking gal pals, though again, it's not bad either.

Hopfist, Sep 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a pretty good beer. Nothing stands out, but on a hot summer day/night in Chicago, this one really hits the spot.

Golden blonde color with decent head and nice lacing. Taste isn't extraordinary, but it is crisp and refreshing - and fresh.

Revolution has awesomer beers, but there's certainly nothing wrong with this one. A good choice for friends who aren't beer afficinados and just want a good crisp beer.

TheRealBigC, Aug 26, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +8%

A - Pale golden beer with a small white head that left nice spots down the side of the glass.

S - Sweet pale malts, some honey. Mild floral hops with a little bit of orange. Not getting a ton of coriander in there.

T - Sweet honey and pale malts. The corriander comes through much stonger in the taste with some sweet oranges. Hops on the end provide an appropriately sharp and abrupt finish.

M - Smooth, soft carbonation, lighter side of medium bodied.

O - A pretty nice beer that avoids being overly harsh and yeasty. Easy to drink with good flavor, enjoyed this beer even though its a style that isn't one of my preferred.

AgentZero, Jul 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at the brewpub - December 27, 2010.

Pours a fairly-light golden color with a single-finger white head and a bit of lacing as it falls into a thin collar. The nose is a bit light and then hits fairly well with a nice hop aroma resembling the better versions of the style that I've encountered. Milt citrus with a bit of tangerine. The flavor is slightly-sweet with a very mild malt character as well as a touch of hop flavor. Light body with slight bitterness and a very slight sweetness as well. Really quite drinkable.

Thorpe429, Jan 04, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +12%

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours a nice clear golden color with a small white head and some lacing.
Awesome citrus hop aroma, with honey and grainy pale malt. Smells phenomenal, way better than I expected from the description.

Flavor is great for the style. A little grainy with sweet pale malt and honey as well as bright citrusy hops. Reminds me of a golden ale version of FFF Alpha King even, which is about as high a compliment as I can give a beer like this.

Nice palate, fairly sweet and medium-light with a mild sweetness.

Overall, wow, what a great golden ale. This is typically a boring style in my opinion, but this one was very drinkable and enjoyable.

nickd717, May 04, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

I drank this on tap into a 4oz tasting glass.

The beer is a very clear medium gold with a white head that rises about 1 finger.

The aroma is pretty light, pretty plain with only a little skunk.

The taset is pretty plain, but by no means bad or skunky. It really just reminds me of a much better version of an american macro.

The feel is ok, not as watery ad zi'd expect. Pretty drinkable.

jrallen34, Mar 25, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

A- golden/yellow/straw colored beer that you can see straight through with no trouble. served in a pint glass.

S- smells hoppy and good. sadly it doesn't taste as good as it smells but the hop aroma is wonderful. smells like a premium/high-quality more-hoppy version of a classic/traditional american rice beer (bud/mgd).

T- tastes like a premium/high-quality more-hoppy version of a classic/traditional american rice beer (bud/mgd). this is not what I look for in a beer, but the good news is that MANY bud/miller drinkers are looking to transition to the craft beer world and this is just the beer to get them started. tastes slightly more hoppy than balanced.

M- thin/medium mouthfeel. fairly crisp and perfect for the style.

D- drinkable? Not for me. this is not my kind of beer. this is craft beer, but it doesn't stray far enough from the Bud/MGD category for me. I suspect this beer was designed to be the way it is - great transitional beer that will appeal to the masses. not for beer dorks though, imo.

*I struggled with this review because while the beer is not my favorite, it is well-made and should appeal to the majority of beer drinkers out there. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it, but I want to help fellow beer advocate's make an eductaed decision when choosing what to enjoy.

jvande7, Mar 10, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance:
This beer was served to me with ~1.5 fingers of thick, creamy head; the retention is excellent and there is quite a bit of lacing which clings to the glass. This translucent brew is a lightly golden color with a very, very slight reddish tint.

Smell:
Given the style, I found the nose to be a bit suprising (more on this later). Hops dominate, but a subtle zest compliments it nicely. The aroma is very "outdoorsy" - it makes me think of a pine cone.

Taste:
The flavor matches the nose almost exactly as described. I found this to be a very hoppy beer; I can't quite describe the spices, but they help keep the bitterness in check.

Mouthfeel:
The body on this beer is somewhere in the realm of medium-light. It tingles the tongue, but not so much that one would find it unenjoyable. If you manage to ingest some of the head, you'll find that it adds a bit of density.

Drinkability:
This beer has tons of bite, so I would suggest drinking it fairly slowly. The overall "edge" is enjoyable and I found this to a bit better on the colder side.

Summary:
Since I'm the first person reviewing this beer, feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. When I first had this beer, I thought I was drinking an IPA; my server told me that it's actually a lager which is brewed with "a bit" of hops. Needless to say, I thought that it had more than "a bit" of hops. This is a unique beer that you will find enjoyable if you don't mind what would seem like a mis-categorization. I rated this beer highly because I liked it even though it doesn't seem to fit what the brewers call an "American Pale/Blonde Ale."

diabecktic, Feb 20, 2010