Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010

A striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt. Eugene is a robust porter named after Eugene V. Debs, an American union leader and activist who led the Pullman Railroad strike in 1894. An assortment of Belgian specialty malts form a complex structure of toasted grain and caramel flavors. Dark chocolate malt makes this porter black as night and infuses it with its distinct intense, chocolate essence.

4.87/5  rDev +21.1%

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

My Crack and inverted Glug netted me a big finger of dense, foamy, deep-brown head that also produced a faux-cascading action as it settled. Settling, it turned into one of the most unsettling beers ever. It was as dark as night in the middle of the ocean. SRM = 44+. I think that the Kraken may have been at the bottom of the glass. It was so deep-brown and dark that even the white bits was black. Nose was rich, like a chocolate cake made with dark chocolate. Velvety, chocolaty, but with a charcoal smokiness that just put me over the top. Mouthfeel was medium, but with a silkiness that reinforced the cake analogy. My, my, my. Finish was smoky, chocolaty, like my 5th (or so) birthday cake. More, please. (1,004 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%

Reviewed from notes; originally 10/07.

A-Pours a deep brown color with a cascading two and a half finger, dense brown head. This one leaves lacing to write home about.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malt with a little bit of a spicy hop note.

T-Rich dark chocolate and roasted notes with a spicy hop finish that delicately balances the richer aspects of the beer.

M-Lusciously rich and thick bodied with low carbonation and a thick sticky, coating mouthfeel.

D-For the complexity that you get with this one, it's also insanely drinkable. By far the best beer on cask I've had yet. (588 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Jet black with a creamy head tends to dissipate yet cling to the glass. Very roasty and chocolately taste. It is fairly thick but not nearly as chewy as the Founders Porter (my current benchmark for the style). Definitely the best beer they had on tap for their opening. (270 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I saw my hero Eugene V. Debs on the can, I knew I had to try this one.

Purchased at the cafe of the Chicago Institute for Art, poured from a can into a glass.

Nice almost black brown with a huge head.

Rich roasted aroma with a bit of coffee.

Flavor is nicely balanced between toasty and creamy, as well sweet and dry elements. Some wine notes. Some chocolate. Very true to style.

Very smooth creamy mouthfeel.

I like this one alot. (442 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This porter was f'in fantastic! So easy to drink and very tasty.

It definitely has a coffee up front tast and smell. Very smooth and creamy. I love it and will be buying it often. Revolution has hit a home run.

Find it. Buy it. Enjoy the hell out of it!
Poured from a can into a Founders snifter glass (306 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

This here is a great porter. I wish Revolution Brewing would start bottling and distributing their beers across the country if only for this one (not to discount their other excellent beers).

Standard porter appearance, dark brown with an excellent head and lacing. Not an astounding smell, but good.

Flavor wise, I can't find fault with this beer. It tastes great! A perfectly balanced porter. Smooth feel.

I really, really liked this one, but at the same time I have other porters in my area that will suffice in my time away from Chicago. (544 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%

I've had this many times on draft and from the can. This review is from the can. Pour is jet black with dark brown dense head. Decent retention and almost no lace. The smell starts with big bold waves of chocolate and roasted barley. A touch of cream comes through next and smooths things out. Then comes a reasonably aromatic hop profile that adds a little pine to the mix. The taste has some sweetness up front with a heavy malt profile. Dry roasted grains, bitter chocolate, and some piney hops (Chinook?) balance things out. The flavors pop and provide for a very robust porter. Mouthfeel is smooth and appropriately carbonated. Overall, this is one of my favorite porters around, the only thing that competes with it is Founders Porter. This is a solid beer and an awesome value at $10 per six pack. This has become a mainstay in the fridge, enough said. (859 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

12 oz Can poured into Darkness chalice.

A- Pitch black with a small light khaki head a top that dissipates quickly.

S- Very smoke heavy, Big malt nose

T- Super heavy in smokey malt. Chocolate overtones present as well as coffee with minimal bitterness.

M- Medium velvety bodied very well balanced porter.

O- Just extremely solid porter, absolutely delicious. I will be buying this again for the colder months but at this point I will be putting more emphasis on the lighter fare even though it is 80 degrees outside I can still drink this without worrying about it weighing me down too much. Cheers. (607 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Dark as night, this american style porter offers an incredible taste and aroma of dark chocolate malt with notes of toasted grain and caramel flavors. The chocolate essence of this drink allows it to be a great after dinner drink. Very palatable, and a great introduction beer for someone who wants a more robust drink. (319 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from the can. No freshness date on the can. Props to Florida9 for including this in my trade with him.

A-Pours a deep, almost black brown color with a thick, creamy light brown head that dissipates fairly quickly and settles at about a half finger width. This almost looks like a stout.

S-Toasted bread, bready malts, caramel sweetness, a bit nutty as well.

T-Follows the nose, mostly. The sweet bready malts balance perfectly with the semi-charred, toasty flavor that precedes a subtle hop flavor. Very complex and robust for an American porter.

MF-Creamy as hell. Feels almost like an RIS. Body is thick and full and it finishes a bit dry.

O-Probably the best American porter I've ever had. Taste is very complex and well balanced. A robust American porter that I find very satisfying to drink. (829 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Classic porter, dark and just a little carbonation. I admire its limpid yet alive appearance.

S - This has more aroma than most non-Breakfast style porters. A little chocolate, a little malt, some coffee notes.

T -- Eminently drinkable, the malt character gives it a strong backbone, just the kind of porter to spend the next hour with. Good stuff.

M - A filling dextrinous/malt mix. Satisfying. This ain't no black lager!

O -- A winner of a porter. (457 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the brewpub; served in a pint glass.

A: Nearly black with a two-finger rocky white head.

S: Smell is pretty chocolate-forward for a porter. A bit of roast and coffee in the finish.

T: Smooth and robust! The chocolate is powerful here as well. Coffee and hops round this out nicely and it finishes dry and toasty.

D: It has a relatively high ABV for the style, but the alcohol is completely hidden. Just great balance and a decent mouthfeel as well.

Overall: Perhaps the best of the everyday lineup from Revolution. One of the best American Porters I have had yet. Smooth, complex and incredibly tasty, just a great beer all around. (646 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A- Deep, rich brown
S- I get a bit of booziness, roasted coffee beans, rich chocolate
T- Rich and sweet. Coco notes with almost a rich wood finish (although not barrel aged)
M- Silky smooth and creamy

O- I love this porter. So rich and smooth. Like a milk shake! (297 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

A - Black with deep brown hues and a thin creamy tan head.

S - Roasted malt, milk chocolate, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted nuts, cream.

T - Roasted malt, coffee, the taste alternates between milk chocolate and dark chocolate, slightly nutty.

M - medium body with good carbonation. Creamy

D - Very solid and highly drinkable porter. (337 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the can a nice, thick black color. Some caramel colored head retention, which dissipates half way through the glass. Hearty toasted malt aroma. Nice full caramel malt flavor, alcohol noticeable as well. Chocolaty.

Mouthfeel is thick, but has more carbonation present than the beer's appearance does. Overall pretty solid, I cant say anything bad about it. My first from Revolution, looking forward to trying more from this brewery. (449 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

A good brew. I still find it strange to have a good craft beer out of a can.

In Illinois for a family event and wanted to drink local. Found this beer and was very happy. It is true to the style and delicious.

Taste is good with roasted malt and coffee.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. (290 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Has a great lasting head with great lacing. Chocolate toasty smell. Taste is very similar to the smell. Great full body beer with mild carbonation and goes down smooth. Fantastic porter! (190 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

More canned goodness from the Chi's emerging powerhouse. Can into a shaker pint.

A - Deep garnet, nearly black. Minimal khaki head, patchy lacing.

S - A deep whiff conjures aromas of cocoa powder and instant coffee, w some leathery earthiness in backup. Vanilla and char also present.

T - Chocolate, coffee, and the slightest hint of cherry cola up front, lightly roasted walnuts and grassy hops follow up, and a dry yet semi-sweet finish. A lot going on for a porter, in a good way.

M - Medium to full, creamy and soothing on the palate w low but appropriate levels of carbonation.

Just a phenomenal porter all around, gives Edmund Fitz a serious run for its money. Holds up as a pairing for meat and dessert. (715 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this on tap from the brewpub in Chicago, nice place. Was served in a pint.

A: Was a nice deep brown black color, almost opaque with a short, dark toffee color head with good amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of malts, barley, oats, chocolate, brown sugars

T: Tastes delicious, very sweet, like milk chocolate, malts, brown sugars, toffee, caramel

M: Rich, full bodied, lower levels of carbonation, giving it a richer, thicker texture

O: Overall, I though this was incredible, after wandering around Chicago in freezing weather, one of the most delicious porters I've had in a while, maybe one of the best. Recommended by me for sure. (639 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the brewpub, 10/12/10.

A-pours a beautiful deep opaque brown with a frothy mocha head and great lacing.

S-roasty with a strong chocolate malt undertone and a lactic sweetness.

T-Delicious. Sweet chocolate and milk stout notes in front, followed by medium roastiness and a mild sweet finish.

M-medium bodied with a nice lingering finish.

D-does not in any way seem like 7%. Extremely drinkable. Delicious.

HV (423 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- dark, dark brown. No light was shining through this glass. It poured at least a 2 & 1/2 finger tax head. Decent lacing.

Aroma- The coffee notes hit me right way followed by milk chocolate. Roasted malts and sweet molasses were also present. As it warmed, I could detect a bit of smokiness to it as well.

Taste- It tasted very similar to how it smelled. The roasted malts and sweetness from the chocolate were balanced by the bitterness from the coffee. I could taste some raisin and maybe a bit of piney hops on the back note, but it was more of a whisper.

Mouthfeel- Medium with a medium to almost long finish. It was extremely smooth. I wish it was just a touch creamier.

Overall- I love this beer. It's just heavy enough for a cold winter's day, but light enough to have more than one. I've been drinking it with very simple dishes. So far my favorite is a pint of this porter with a grilled cheese sandwich. (962 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on-tap at The Norse. This was very dark and opaque with a nice frothy tan head. Black roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, dry finish, completely delicious with a full-bodied kind of feel and a lactic acid sweetness. Very drinkable--the boyfriend informs me that it was a "BEAUTIFUL beer," and I think I agree. (311 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First time out of the can, lez do dis

A- Pours a dark brown with a beautiful 1 1/2" head that leaves nice lacing

S- Very roasty with notes of chocolate and coffee. The roasted malts are excellent here, its tough to convey without exeriencing it

T- Very coffee forward, in an amazing way. Great hints of chocolate in the background but the tasty coffee owns the taste

M- Medium thickness for a porter, a little thicker might help the overall but can't complain

O- Super solid for the price and I can see myself going back to this time after time (549 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7%

An excellent porter. Nice creamy head with scents of coffee and chocolate. Taste is similar but not super strong. Well balanced with a hint of root beer and brown suger in the mix. Body is medium, which makes this go down pretty easy.

There are a number of very good porters in the midwest, but right now this is my favorite. (327 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7%

A- dark brown (as one would expect from a Porter). I would have liked more head, but I'm not sure what kind of head most Porters have (I don't usually drink them).

S- roasty/chocolatey/coffee aromas (or maybe that was all in my mind?). Should have taken notes, drank too many of these 7.0% brews to recall the specifics, but it smells good and fresh. I have a nose for off-flavors/smells and dirty beer lines, and I did not detect any of that.

T- quality brew here. Tastes like it smells (roasty/malty) with hints of chocolate and coffee (or did I make that up because of the color of the brew? does it even matter?) This is one of my favorite beers by Revolution - perfect for warming up Chicago winters.

I never really got into Porters all that much, but man I really dig this brew. I must have had 5 or 6 of them while we were at the brewery. Very good beer, very drinkable, but STRONG - a dangerous combo. =) (915 characters)

Eugene from Revolution Brewing Company