Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

Striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)

4.96/5  rDev +24%

4.88/5  rDev +22%

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

My Crack and inverted Glug netted me a big finger of dense, foamy, deep-brown head that also produced a faux-cascading action as it settled. Settling, it turned into one of the most unsettling beers ever. It was as dark as night in the middle of the ocean. SRM = 44+. I think that the Kraken may have been at the bottom of the glass. It was so deep-brown and dark that even the white bits was black. Nose was rich, like a chocolate cake made with dark chocolate. Velvety, chocolaty, but with a charcoal smokiness that just put me over the top. Mouthfeel was medium, but with a silkiness that reinforced the cake analogy. My, my, my. Finish was smoky, chocolaty, like my 5th (or so) birthday cake. More, please.

4.84/5  rDev +21%

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Reviewed from notes; originally 10/07.

A-Pours a deep brown color with a cascading two and a half finger, dense brown head. This one leaves lacing to write home about.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malt with a little bit of a spicy hop note.

T-Rich dark chocolate and roasted notes with a spicy hop finish that delicately balances the richer aspects of the beer.

M-Lusciously rich and thick bodied with low carbonation and a thick sticky, coating mouthfeel.

D-For the complexity that you get with this one, it's also insanely drinkable. By far the best beer on cask I've had yet.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

Jet black with a creamy head tends to dissipate yet cling to the glass. Very roasty and chocolately taste. It is fairly thick but not nearly as chewy as the Founders Porter (my current benchmark for the style). Definitely the best beer they had on tap for their opening.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

This here is a great porter. I wish Revolution Brewing would start bottling and distributing their beers across the country if only for this one (not to discount their other excellent beers).

Standard porter appearance, dark brown with an excellent head and lacing. Not an astounding smell, but good.

Flavor wise, I can't find fault with this beer. It tastes great! A perfectly balanced porter. Smooth feel.

I really, really liked this one, but at the same time I have other porters in my area that will suffice in my time away from Chicago.

Eugene from Revolution Brewing Company