Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

Striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)
harrylee773

11-05-2012 21:22:23 | More by harrylee773
schleprock

2.45/5  rDev -38.8%

I had this beer three times on tap, once at the brewery and twice at the brewpub before deciding to review. I really wanted to like it but I get the same results. It just seems to be too thin to be a porter of the style like an Edmund Fitzgerald or a Black Butte.

A - Pours a dark brown with a decent head. Lacing isn't bad but didn't seem to last long in my glass.

S - Oak, caramel and cocoa is what I take away from this

T- I can't get into it, it just feels like someone added too much water to the beer and it does not have a deep satisfying flavor.

M- Thin, easy to go down but not what I expected.

This beer really misses the mark in overall taste and mouthfeel for me. It just does not have the body and flavor I expect as it seems watered down. Thus the low scores for taste and mouthfeel.

01-06-2013 08:10:06 | More by schleprock

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

07-06-2014 20:08:33 | More by mbosica
ilovefatgirls

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

From a 12 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looked good while I was pouring it, a nice opaque black with a very faint deep ruby red color around the edges. I poured it semi-aggressive, the head exploded into a 3 finger head, and I would have liked to describe it, but it disappeared into absolutely nothing in less than two seconds. Other than that, looks like your standard porter.

Smell: Some roasted malts, and a slight sweetness which may be a faint fruit smell. It's a very pleasant smelling beer, which leads me into...

Taste: This is where this beer falls short. It's such an average porter. I can only taste what seems like a hint of milk chocolate and a tiny bit of coffee, but it's so subtle you can barely notice it. I've tried this beer cold, chilled, room temp, etc., to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I really wanted to like this beer. Sadly, it falls short in every aspect. I would recommend this as an introductory porter. Nothing is going to scare you away from this beer, it isn't bad, nothing stands out to keep you wanting another one, though.

Mouthfeel: It isn't as heavy as other people seem to think. It's about as heavy as Guinness, take that as you will.

Overall: I really, really wanted to like this beer. The smell drew me in, but the taste and thin mouth feel let me down. For the same price, you're better off picking up some Founders Porter.

04-13-2014 06:03:17 | More by ilovefatgirls

MastaShonuf

08-20-2013 04:41:48 | More by MastaShonuf
kojevergas

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

Can acquired from Duff27 in a trade. Thanks again, buddy. I dig the label art; this is some of the finest can art I've seen. 6.8% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz aluminum can served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I've only had this brewery's IPA and I found that to be above average so I'm expecting this'll be in the same ballpark.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head of nice cream and thickness, and average (~ 2 minute retention). Strangely, the head bubbles and pops for about 30 seconds, creating a foamy sort of show - but it's not the traditional bubble show you'd see in something like Guinness; the head itself is the only part affected. Curious but interesting. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque dark black. No yeast particles are visible. It's not a jet black, but it's rather dark. I wouldn't call it vibrant, but it's appealing. No lacing as the head recedes. Typical of the style, though spot-on. It's what I'd expect to see in a good porter. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Cacao/chocolate, chocolate malt, cola-esque malts, and light vanilla/vanillicin. I search for coffee and I think I find traces of it; it's not horribly evocative if it is present. I do get buried roast - which is a good sign of a quality porter; so few porters neglect roasty character but I find it key to a good example of the style. Light bready notes. Maybe some cinnamon. I also get some kind of weird cola-esque spice; perhaps sassafrass? Caramel character rounds out the aroma. A moderate strength aroma that is generally appealing - though the cola notes do have me worried; I always associate that flavour with a bad schwarzbier. I get no yeast or alcohol from the aroma. Any hopping is very light; I can't detect even any floral character - and that's a good thing for the style.

T/Mf: Rounded smooth chocolate character with some cream on the open. The texture's quite smooth and wet all around in classic porter fashion. Carbonation is good but not ideal. Thickness is good, and palate presence is nice. Maybe a weak hint of coffee. The roast, unfortunately, is so buried by the chocolate as to be almost irrelevant. Caramel. Traces of vanilla - a highlight here, but it also lends more sweetness to the body, which I'm not sure it needs. Light cola notes are present, which weaken the body and lighten the mouthfeel - to its detriment. The feel is a bit smacky and slick, which I can't make up my mind about. In any case, the mouthfeel is generally well suited to the flavour profile. While it's decently balanced, I do want more complexity and subtlety from it. It's not a special or unique example of the style, but it is a solid by-the-numbers porter. I do like it.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, with the ABV pretty well hidden. It's not without its flaws, and I'd definitely try the Eugene variants, but I doubt I'd get this again unless it was the best option at a bar while I was out. Many porter fans will love this, and it's definitely above average - but I found it somewhat wanting. Still, it's an enjoyable little porter and I've glad to have tried it. Thanks again, Duff27.

C+

03-04-2013 02:13:10 | More by kojevergas
mattcrill

3.2/5  rDev -20%

Aroma: Light coffee, caramel sweetness, wet roasted grains all well knit. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Jet black with a low tan head. Head retains well and beer looks menacing in my Duvel tulip.

Flavor: Lots of roasted malt character, dark wheat crust, and burnt coffee up front. A touch of caramel sweetness. Leafy hop bitterness provides a solid counterpoint. Balance is to the bitterness. Finish is clean and very dry.

Mouthfeel: Slight dark grain astringency. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall impression: Pretty good. Not great. Something just seemed a little "off" about this one but I couldn't put my finger on it. Seemed kind of disjointed. Maybe needs some time to age a little but the roast was harsh and the hops were pretty forward in this one. Probably won't seek out again.

09-01-2013 17:48:02 | More by mattcrill