2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

EugeneEugene

rAvg: 4

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

Striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 536 | Reviews: 103 | Show All Ratings:
schleprock

2.45/5  rDev -38.8%

I had this beer three times on tap, once at the brewery and twice at the brewpub before deciding to review. I really wanted to like it but I get the same results. It just seems to be too thin to be a porter of the style like an Edmund Fitzgerald or a Black Butte.

A - Pours a dark brown with a decent head. Lacing isn't bad but didn't seem to last long in my glass.

S - Oak, caramel and cocoa is what I take away from this

T- I can't get into it, it just feels like someone added too much water to the beer and it does not have a deep satisfying flavor.

M- Thin, easy to go down but not what I expected.

This beer really misses the mark in overall taste and mouthfeel for me. It just does not have the body and flavor I expect as it seems watered down. Thus the low scores for taste and mouthfeel.

01-06-2013 08:10:06 | More by schleprock
ilovefatgirls

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looked good while I was pouring it, a nice opaque black with a very faint deep ruby red color around the edges. I poured it semi-aggressive, the head exploded into a 3 finger head, and I would have liked to describe it, but it disappeared into absolutely nothing in less than two seconds. Other than that, looks like your standard porter.

Smell: Some roasted malts, and a slight sweetness which may be a faint fruit smell. It's a very pleasant smelling beer, which leads me into...

Taste: This is where this beer falls short. It's such an average porter. I can only taste what seems like a hint of milk chocolate and a tiny bit of coffee, but it's so subtle you can barely notice it. I've tried this beer cold, chilled, room temp, etc., to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I really wanted to like this beer. Sadly, it falls short in every aspect. I would recommend this as an introductory porter. Nothing is going to scare you away from this beer, it isn't bad, nothing stands out to keep you wanting another one, though.

Mouthfeel: It isn't as heavy as other people seem to think. It's about as heavy as Guinness, take that as you will.

Overall: I really, really wanted to like this beer. The smell drew me in, but the taste and thin mouth feel let me down. For the same price, you're better off picking up some Founders Porter.

04-13-2014 06:03:17 | More by ilovefatgirls
kojevergas

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can acquired from Duff27 in a trade. Thanks again, buddy. I dig the label art; this is some of the finest can art I've seen. 6.8% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz aluminum can served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I've only had this brewery's IPA and I found that to be above average so I'm expecting this'll be in the same ballpark.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head of nice cream and thickness, and average (~ 2 minute retention). Strangely, the head bubbles and pops for about 30 seconds, creating a foamy sort of show - but it's not the traditional bubble show you'd see in something like Guinness; the head itself is the only part affected. Curious but interesting. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque dark black. No yeast particles are visible. It's not a jet black, but it's rather dark. I wouldn't call it vibrant, but it's appealing. No lacing as the head recedes. Typical of the style, though spot-on. It's what I'd expect to see in a good porter. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Cacao/chocolate, chocolate malt, cola-esque malts, and light vanilla/vanillicin. I search for coffee and I think I find traces of it; it's not horribly evocative if it is present. I do get buried roast - which is a good sign of a quality porter; so few porters neglect roasty character but I find it key to a good example of the style. Light bready notes. Maybe some cinnamon. I also get some kind of weird cola-esque spice; perhaps sassafrass? Caramel character rounds out the aroma. A moderate strength aroma that is generally appealing - though the cola notes do have me worried; I always associate that flavour with a bad schwarzbier. I get no yeast or alcohol from the aroma. Any hopping is very light; I can't detect even any floral character - and that's a good thing for the style.

T/Mf: Rounded smooth chocolate character with some cream on the open. The texture's quite smooth and wet all around in classic porter fashion. Carbonation is good but not ideal. Thickness is good, and palate presence is nice. Maybe a weak hint of coffee. The roast, unfortunately, is so buried by the chocolate as to be almost irrelevant. Caramel. Traces of vanilla - a highlight here, but it also lends more sweetness to the body, which I'm not sure it needs. Light cola notes are present, which weaken the body and lighten the mouthfeel - to its detriment. The feel is a bit smacky and slick, which I can't make up my mind about. In any case, the mouthfeel is generally well suited to the flavour profile. While it's decently balanced, I do want more complexity and subtlety from it. It's not a special or unique example of the style, but it is a solid by-the-numbers porter. I do like it.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, with the ABV pretty well hidden. It's not without its flaws, and I'd definitely try the Eugene variants, but I doubt I'd get this again unless it was the best option at a bar while I was out. Many porter fans will love this, and it's definitely above average - but I found it somewhat wanting. Still, it's an enjoyable little porter and I've glad to have tried it. Thanks again, Duff27.

C+

03-04-2013 02:13:10 | More by kojevergas
mattcrill

3.2/5  rDev -20%

Aroma: Light coffee, caramel sweetness, wet roasted grains all well knit. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Jet black with a low tan head. Head retains well and beer looks menacing in my Duvel tulip.

Flavor: Lots of roasted malt character, dark wheat crust, and burnt coffee up front. A touch of caramel sweetness. Leafy hop bitterness provides a solid counterpoint. Balance is to the bitterness. Finish is clean and very dry.

Mouthfeel: Slight dark grain astringency. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall impression: Pretty good. Not great. Something just seemed a little "off" about this one but I couldn't put my finger on it. Seemed kind of disjointed. Maybe needs some time to age a little but the roast was harsh and the hops were pretty forward in this one. Probably won't seek out again.

09-01-2013 17:48:02 | More by mattcrill
nlmartin

3.28/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank one can and now kicking back a second can. The beer was chilled and served in a Imperial Pint.

A- The body of the beer is dark brown with ruby chestnut brown highlights. The head is thick and frothy tan color. Major league stickyness to the side of my glass. Looks tasty!

S- The aroma of the beer has a nice roasted malt notes, a bit of mollassis, cocoa, a bit of acidic coffee,

T- The flavor of the beer has very nicely balanced roasted malted notes, faint cocoa, and very mild coffee notes, molasis sweetness, a flash of smokeyness, a nice bitterness finishes and dries out the beers sweetness.

M- The body of the beer is medium and the carbonation is moderate. Nicely balanced between the roasted tones and beers sweetness.

O- This beer is not bad, I wish that Revolution had gone a bit bigger with the roasted notes. Frankly I wont buy this one again as I can easily get Edmund Fitz.

01-19-2013 04:00:06 | More by nlmartin
BB1313

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a beautiful pitch black, with almost no light getting through. There's a huge khaki mocha head which sticks around and leaves very nice lacing. Awesome looking porter. The aromas are full chocolate malts. There's a subtle roastiness and a touch of smoke. There's mild hints of vanilla bean as well. The flavors have alot of dark chocolate and black coffee going on, giving it a pretty solid bitterness. There's also a touch of hop flavor, along with a hop bitterness, but the hops don't shine, nor do I think they should for the porter style. The flavors are nice, but not intense. I'm also picking up some roasted black coffee. The mouthfeel is interesting in a good way. Low carbonation. It's on the light side of medium-bodied. Smooth and fluffy making it an easy drinker. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping for more. But it's still a very solid porter. Traditional and well crafted. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it just doesn't go the extra mile. It doesn't pop. I really dig the coffee aftertaste though. Maybe I'm just spoiled by some other easy to get porters in my area.

12-22-2012 23:53:08 | More by BB1313
BeerisOK

Oklahoma

3.36/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Always a fan of porters and the 6.8% ABV doesn't hurt for this one.

Initial aromas of raisin and hops. Got a lot of alcohol up front to begin with then mellowed after warming.

Good balance of malts with low hop bitterness. Nothing stood out as too impressive with this beer but certainly holds up with most porters I've had.

Certainly will give this a go again, especially if it's on tap.

01-24-2014 03:10:16 | More by BeerisOK
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Revolution Brewing Eugene Porter - 6.8% ABV - Consumed March 19, 2013
A: pours an ultra dark brown, basically black, with a sliver of tan foam and strands of lacing on the pint glass. Good looking beer.
S: roasted malt, burnt toast, must, piney-resiny hops, leather, ash, and dark unsweetened chocolate. Decent complexity but a little mild.
T: burnt toast, dark unsweetened chocolate, raisin, light tartness mid-palate, neutral hop flavour, roasted-grainy afters. 28 IBUs sounds reasonable, as this is fairly malt-forward with low bitterness. This drinks more like an English-style brown porter than a Robust Porter. Just okay IMO.
M: medium-bodied, higher than average carbonation (almost cola-like), spicy-prickly hop bitterness with a chalky-dry finish, roasted-grainy afters, and some heat in the throat. On target for the style.
O: really dig the nod to labour activist Eugene V. Debs, but this is merely an average porter. Not much better than something like Muskoka Dark Ale.

03-10-2014 00:38:14 | More by cratez
brewtus

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very dark brown, sits black in the glass with a light tan head. Smells is tons of smoke, some chocolate, pepper. Taste is a lot like the smell very smokey, peppery, small amount of dark cocoa, oaky. Mouthfeel is right on for a porter. This is really good, and worth trying, not too complex but great for a cold day and very drinkable.

02-06-2013 02:35:35 | More by brewtus
cquinn17

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 10/18/12. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown. Aggressive pour yields a 2 finger, mocha head.

S- Roasted malts dominate. Hint of chocolate and light roast coffee at the end.

T- Flavors don't really live up to the smell for me. While I do get roasted malts and a little chocolate, everything seems a little dilutes. Could be freshness or maybe I was drinking it too cold? Seemed to get better as it warmed.

M- Medium body with a little more carbonation than I'd like. Does leave a good coat on the mouth though.

O- Somewhat of a disappointment to me. Maybe because I've been drinking a lot of RIS's lately but the thinner mouthfeel and subdued flavors left me wanting more. For my money, I'd go with edmund fitzgerald or founders if I'm looking for a porter.

12-23-2012 06:49:15 | More by cquinn17
ToasterChef

Maine

3.56/5  rDev -11%

Eugene has a dark brown color and a modest tan head made up of small bubbles.

Bringing my glass close to smell the beer, I can hear the tiny bubbles popping. Its a louder beer than I expected. As I smell, my nose is filled with chocolate malt aromas.

There is a lot of chocolate malt in the flavor as well. It's a little sweet, but there is an earthy bitterness that I enjoy.

The beer is a little thick and syrupy; lots of coating inside my mouth.

This porter is enjoyable enough, but since it isn't sold anywhere near me, I'm not going out of my way to find it.

11-23-2013 01:19:17 | More by ToasterChef
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

On tap at the brewpub.A serviceable porter. Dark brown to black coloured body with a bit of head, lacey. Licorice and chocolate. Above average mouthfeel. Carbonation was right there. Decent drinkability, but I am coming out here paying good money and time to get something bold not something I could take out of the fridge for a couple of dollars.

05-11-2012 00:40:22 | More by Sammy
falloutsnow

From: Binny's, Schaumburg, IL
Date: None on bottle, obtained during November
Glass: Tulip

Eugene's a fairly basic-looking and smelling American porter with a very nice flavor. The roasted malt nature of this beer carries its way through each sip, providing a fairly enjoyable drinking experience if you're into blackened malt, that is. The additional flavors of chocolate, caramel, molasses, and coffee are more there for a bit of complexity, but also add some pleasant depth to the overall experience. Despite how good this tastes, I'm unable to express how bored I am by the aroma, which you'd think to be effusive and excellent, but is actually fairly mild. I attribute this to the lower level of carbonation the beer displays: if that were solved, this would probably be in another class of porters. Probably wouldn't seek this out if E. Fitzgerald or Founders' porter was available, but otherwise not a bad option.

Pours a 2cm tall head of tan foam composed of medium to large-sized bubbles. Retention is below average, lasting for about a minute or so, receding to nothing, leaving little to no lacing in its wake. The body itself is a dark brown to black, with light bringing out slight brown tones in the edges of the body. Because of it's opacity, there's no carbonation to see.

Aroma is primarily of roasted malts, with sweet undertones of rich caramel and molasses with just a hint of brewed coffee. Not bad, but surprisingly subtle for the most part, this could be bolder and work better for the beer.

Opens with strong roasted malt and chocolate on the front of the palate. Mid-palate adds in mild acridity (either from hops or roasted malt, I can't tell), caramel and molasses-like sweetness, along with faint coffee. Back of palate is more roasted malt with sweet tones again from molasses and caramel; not so much chocolate or coffee. Aftertaste is of roasted malt, chocolate, mild acridity, and coffee beans.

Beer is medium bodied with carbonation at a low to medium-low intensity. This results in a fairly smooth beer, though somewhat stagnant for its weight. A bit more carbonation would help this feel slightly fuller, as well as aersolize the aroma further. Closes fairly dry, with moderate stickiness across the palate.

01-15-2013 06:46:25 | More by falloutsnow
cpetrone84

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Pour is cola brown with a light coffee head and some large bubbles. Nose is roast, pitted olive, light coffee rind, and some light chocolate cake batter. Body is full up front but thins in back. Taste is heavy roast, the other aspects from the nose are there but take a back seat to the roast. Highly carbonated through the finish and a touch slick on the back of the throat.

07-12-2013 16:04:12 | More by cpetrone84
schoolboy

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

This is the third and last product from Revolution that I have here in cans. It, like the others is a great brew.

Opening the can reveals a nice sweetness and an appropiate aroma for the style. Like the others it has a weak head but the color is an oil can dark.

The taste is similarly dark and balanced for a porter - not very hoppy but nicely sweet. The aftertaste is in the same region - just a little roasty and a nice balance.

I am now a fan of Revolution and l hope to taste more of their brews in the time to come (since the world didn't end last night).

12-22-2012 21:48:45 | More by schoolboy
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz can poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass

Appearance- Dark dark brown with 2 fingers of khaki head that dissipates to about a half finger and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell- Not huge notes here but some pine hop and chocolate.

Taste- Dark chocolate with a bitter chocolate finish. The pine hops that I got on the nose isnt there really. Still balanced with the bitter sweet chocolate finish.

Mouthfeel- Normally I expect my porters to have a heavy body. This is more on the light side of medium, but I like it because it makes it more of a sessionable porter. Add in the fact that it is pretty highly carbonated for a porter, you get a lighter sessionable porter. Does hinge on the watery side, but works just enough to be enjoyable.

Overall- A very mild sessionable porter that you can buy in a can for a cookout of tailgate.

12-17-2012 22:48:41 | More by BrownAleMale
thecheapies

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Very dark brown color. Dimpled top to a thick and fluffy two-inch head that deflates slowly.

Caramelly grain, roastiness, fragrant coffee notes, some mustiness, wheat cereal, and toffee. Nice.

Coffee-forward, with chocolatey notes not terribly far behind. Some oxididation evident. Roasty flavor brings char and earthy sweetness. Dusty cocoa staves off the hops, which are nearly silenced. A little tangy in the finish.

Has a medium body with easy flow. Not a really bold body. The carbonation is a little weak, also. Missing something in the mouthfeel.

A good porter, but not worthy of "outstanding" status.

12-26-2013 15:44:44 | More by thecheapies
superspak

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

12 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 12/11/2013. Pours fairly cloudy nearly opaque dark brown color with a 1 finger fairly dense tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin ring of lace that lingers. Minimal lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of dark chocolate, raisin, plum, cocoa, roasted malt, light coffee, caramel, toast, dark bread, light char, herbal, and roasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good complexity of dark/roast/bready malt notes with light-moderate fruitiness; with solid strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, caramel, toast, dark bread, light coffee, herbal, light raisin/plum, and toasted earthiness. Light herbal/roast bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, caramel, toast, dark bread, light coffee, light raisin/plum, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of dark/roast/bready malt flavors with light yeast fruitiness; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a moderately creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice porter. Good balance and robustness of dark/roast/bready malt flavors with light yeast fruitiness; and very smooth to sip on. A nicely enjoyable offering.

03-03-2014 01:21:02 | More by superspak
macrosmatic

3.76/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this can up at the Root Cellar. Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. can into a CCB pint glass.

A: Very dark brown, fairly opaque, with low visible carbonation. A 1 1/2 finger tan head that fades pretty quickly.

S: Sweet roasted malts, notes of caramel and vanilla over some mocha and a bit of pine hop bitterness. There is a bit of tinny aroma here as well.

T: A richer coffee flavor than I got on the nose, with toffee, caramel and some vanilla. There is some hop bitterness over what seems like a tiny bit of acerbic off-flavor.

M: Med body for a porter. Average carbonation, and the alcohol is well-hidden.

O: Not a bad effort. Just doesn't stand up to the host of better porters out there.

02-11-2013 02:56:42 | More by macrosmatic
mdfb79

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From 01/20/12 notes. Had on tap at some sports bar in Chicago while watching the Ravens_pats game. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with a reddish tint, one inch of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, toasted malts, and some light coffee. Nice, nothing too crazy going on, but they all mix together nicely.

t - Tastes of bitter chocolate, roasted malts, toasted malts, burnt malts, coffee, light oak, light caramel malts. Less caramel and more bitter chocolate in the taste.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth and easy to drink; could definitely have a few of these.

o - Overall a pretty solid porter. Nothing too crazy going on her ebut lots of nice chocolate and roasted malts throughout, and easy to drink. Worth checking out and probably the best beer the sports bar had on tap that night.

01-24-2013 21:16:21 | More by mdfb79
tone77

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Another beer by way of the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of bakers chocolate, some coffee as well. Taste is good, chocolate and coffee, smooth and easy drinking. Feels creamy in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

11-16-2013 21:19:32 | More by tone77
ChugginOil

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Pours almost pitch black with cola colored edging. There is a fingers worth of tan head that leaves spotty lacing as it dissipates.

The nose brings subtle notes of coffee, roasted malt and bakers chocolate. These nuances are a bit muted but still present nonetheless.

The flavors are bringing much more to the table. Big roasted malt profile here, followed by some bitter chocolate and a bit of coffee bean.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is a pretty solid porter, just wish the nose was bigger.

12-21-2012 21:59:58 | More by ChugginOil
NiceTaps

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into one of those hip new tall Guinness glasses.

A- Poured a very dark brown, near black color. A bit of reddish-brown at the very bottom of the glass due to refraction, so not quite opaque. A fluffy mocha-tan head, 2f, does not last very long and leaves minimal spotty lacing.

S-Light roast coffee, toffee, caramel, roast malt, and chocolate. All the aromas are cooked up sweetly, not bitter. Very pleasant.

T- Roast coffee and chocolate bitters, some sweet malt.

M- Light body with tingly carbonation. Balanced sweet and dry finish.

O- Pretty good but maybe the 6.8% abv could be toned down.

11-10-2013 23:59:35 | More by NiceTaps
tjsdomer2

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Dark brown with a reddish tint. A bit light for my liking, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Nice lacing in the glass.

Smell: Dark fruit and burnt caramel. Also fairly hoppy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Raisins and coffee. What I really like is the strong hopped flavors, something I don't normally expect in a porter. Excellent flavor balances. Mouthfeel fizzles out at the finish.

Overall Drinkability: A suprising porter. Very tasty.

09-19-2012 18:16:05 | More by tjsdomer2
WesMantooth

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Porter. I like porters. This should work out nicely. Solid dark beer. Decent head on pour. Who doesn't like a little head? A little bit of sexy lacing action. Smells like roasted malts, chocolate, and some noticeable hops to me. Thought it was going to be like Jose Marti from Cigar City. Dont get hops with taste though, which is fine by me. A little boozy, and a hair on the sweet side. Mouthfeel is wet. Easy drinking enough. Reminds me of Samuel Smith's Taddy a little bit. Nice roasted flavor with a little coffee/smoke at the end. Not going to compete with Great Lakes Fitzgerald, Rogue Mocha, or Deschutes Black Butte, but overall a very good porter that I would recommend trying.

02-20-2014 00:42:27 | More by WesMantooth