Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

A striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt. Eugene is a robust porter named after Eugene V. Debs, an American union leader and activist who led the Pullman Railroad strike in 1894. An assortment of Belgian specialty malts form a complex structure of toasted grain and caramel flavors. Dark chocolate malt makes this porter black as night and infuses it with its distinct intense, chocolate essence.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.28/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz Can
$9.99 6-Pack
S&A Liquors, Joliet

Eugene is strong coffee black and pours with silky viscosity. When at rest the solid black body lets no light penetrate. A silky, creamy beige head sits atop and stays put throughout leaving behind drink history lines with each sip. This just looks like the porter I want to be drinking.

You can smell Eugene as it glugs from the can. Coffee with a dash of cream and bittersweet chocolate kick things off. Roasted barley, a touch of lactic sweetness, smooth nuttiness, and burnt marshmallow make for a well rounded porter. The aromas are rich, complex, and mouthwatering.

Dark chocolate and coffee present themselves upront while more bitter, baker's chocolate comes around mid-palate. The coffee notes show that cream sweetness again and there's a welcomed roasty bitterness. Again, the depth of flavor is where Eugene shines.

You can't get a much better body on a porter. There's enough weight to feel substantial but not heavy. There's enough roast to add bitterness, but it's subdued. The body is soft and velvety.

Eugene is an outstanding porter that I find myself picking up often and enjoying each and every time. If I can't make up my mind at the liquor store I usually reach for this and head to the register.

3.2/5  rDev -20%

Aroma: Light coffee, caramel sweetness, wet roasted grains all well knit. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Jet black with a low tan head. Head retains well and beer looks menacing in my Duvel tulip.

Flavor: Lots of roasted malt character, dark wheat crust, and burnt coffee up front. A touch of caramel sweetness. Leafy hop bitterness provides a solid counterpoint. Balance is to the bitterness. Finish is clean and very dry.

Mouthfeel: Slight dark grain astringency. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall impression: Pretty good. Not great. Something just seemed a little "off" about this one but I couldn't put my finger on it. Seemed kind of disjointed. Maybe needs some time to age a little but the roast was harsh and the hops were pretty forward in this one. Probably won't seek out again.

4.88/5  rDev +22%

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

My Crack and inverted Glug netted me a big finger of dense, foamy, deep-brown head that also produced a faux-cascading action as it settled. Settling, it turned into one of the most unsettling beers ever. It was as dark as night in the middle of the ocean. SRM = 44+. I think that the Kraken may have been at the bottom of the glass. It was so deep-brown and dark that even the white bits was black. Nose was rich, like a chocolate cake made with dark chocolate. Velvety, chocolaty, but with a charcoal smokiness that just put me over the top. Mouthfeel was medium, but with a silkiness that reinforced the cake analogy. My, my, my. Finish was smoky, chocolaty, like my 5th (or so) birthday cake. More, please.

Eugene from Revolution Brewing Company