Eugene - Revolution Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  6.80% ABV

Striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-04-2010)

cestlavie, Mar 24, 2013

Sparky44, Mar 24, 2013
3.91/5  rDev -2.3%

Can poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours opaque dark brown with three fingers of tan colored creamy head. Head sticks around for a few minutes before slowly dissipating, leaving some nice lacing.

Nose is pretty classic porter, roasted malt with ale yeast esters, light floral and citrus hops, dark bread. A little bit of chocolate as it warms.

Mainly roasted malt on the flavor, a bit of char and smoked flavor, mellowing into yeast esters. Finish is dry, with light lingering roasted malt.

Lighter side of medium body, good amount of fine carbonation contributing to a fairly creamy sensation on the tongue. A decent porter.

nataku00, Mar 22, 2013

brandoman63, Mar 20, 2013

prisoner1572, Mar 19, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to wyatt13 for this can tossed in as an extra in our recent trade. I've never had anything from these guys, and I'm always up for trying new brew. Can poured into a chalice.

Pours a thick deep black, with just a sheet of lace on the top after what I thought was an aggressive pour. Bits of lace cling to the glass. The nose is full of roasted goodness: ground coffee, chocolate malt, toasted bread, and a kiss of sweet vanilla on the finish.

Good hefty body. Chewy but easy to drink. Good bubble play on the palate. Big milk chocolate flavors all over this beer. Some mild roastedness rounds it out a bit. I've had far too many Porters that are heavy on the roasted aspect and it just wears on you, but this one is perfectly balanced, even erring on the side of a little more sweet. Some vanilla and almond noted as well.

Really a stand out beer here. Were this available to me locally, I think I'd have regular stock of this in my fridge as my go-to dark beer. Thanks again, Wyatt!

Onenote81, Mar 19, 2013

brycevolk, Mar 18, 2013

EROCK75, Mar 18, 2013

Smextongo, Mar 17, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: This porter pours a black color and is topped with 3/8” of tan colored head that leaves rather quickly.
Smell: The aroma of this beer is a nice balance of malt and roasted malt aroma that blends nicely in the nose.
Taste: The flavor of this beer is rather creamy for a porter but it has a delicious roasted flavor that blends tastefully with the rest of the beer.
Mouthfeel: This is a rather tasty porter that goes down easy but leaves enough of a taste that I can enjoy it for the style that it is.

raznug, Mar 16, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Classic porter, dark and just a little carbonation. I admire its limpid yet alive appearance.

S - This has more aroma than most non-Breakfast style porters. A little chocolate, a little malt, some coffee notes.

T -- Eminently drinkable, the malt character gives it a strong backbone, just the kind of porter to spend the next hour with. Good stuff.

M - A filling dextrinous/malt mix. Satisfying. This ain't no black lager!

O -- A winner of a porter.

mttaylor1066, Mar 12, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Nihilistkid, Mar 04, 2013

Gonzoillini, Mar 04, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can acquired from Duff27 in a trade. Thanks again, buddy. I dig the label art; this is some of the finest can art I've seen. 6.8% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz aluminum can served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I've only had this brewery's IPA and I found that to be above average so I'm expecting this'll be in the same ballpark.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head of nice cream and thickness, and average (~ 2 minute retention). Strangely, the head bubbles and pops for about 30 seconds, creating a foamy sort of show - but it's not the traditional bubble show you'd see in something like Guinness; the head itself is the only part affected. Curious but interesting. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque dark black. No yeast particles are visible. It's not a jet black, but it's rather dark. I wouldn't call it vibrant, but it's appealing. No lacing as the head recedes. Typical of the style, though spot-on. It's what I'd expect to see in a good porter. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Cacao/chocolate, chocolate malt, cola-esque malts, and light vanilla/vanillicin. I search for coffee and I think I find traces of it; it's not horribly evocative if it is present. I do get buried roast - which is a good sign of a quality porter; so few porters neglect roasty character but I find it key to a good example of the style. Light bready notes. Maybe some cinnamon. I also get some kind of weird cola-esque spice; perhaps sassafrass? Caramel character rounds out the aroma. A moderate strength aroma that is generally appealing - though the cola notes do have me worried; I always associate that flavour with a bad schwarzbier. I get no yeast or alcohol from the aroma. Any hopping is very light; I can't detect even any floral character - and that's a good thing for the style.

T/Mf: Rounded smooth chocolate character with some cream on the open. The texture's quite smooth and wet all around in classic porter fashion. Carbonation is good but not ideal. Thickness is good, and palate presence is nice. Maybe a weak hint of coffee. The roast, unfortunately, is so buried by the chocolate as to be almost irrelevant. Caramel. Traces of vanilla - a highlight here, but it also lends more sweetness to the body, which I'm not sure it needs. Light cola notes are present, which weaken the body and lighten the mouthfeel - to its detriment. The feel is a bit smacky and slick, which I can't make up my mind about. In any case, the mouthfeel is generally well suited to the flavour profile. While it's decently balanced, I do want more complexity and subtlety from it. It's not a special or unique example of the style, but it is a solid by-the-numbers porter. I do like it.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, with the ABV pretty well hidden. It's not without its flaws, and I'd definitely try the Eugene variants, but I doubt I'd get this again unless it was the best option at a bar while I was out. Many porter fans will love this, and it's definitely above average - but I found it somewhat wanting. Still, it's an enjoyable little porter and I've glad to have tried it. Thanks again, Duff27.

C+

kojevergas, Mar 04, 2013
4.36/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this on tap from the brewpub in Chicago, nice place. Was served in a pint.

A: Was a nice deep brown black color, almost opaque with a short, dark toffee color head with good amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of malts, barley, oats, chocolate, brown sugars

T: Tastes delicious, very sweet, like milk chocolate, malts, brown sugars, toffee, caramel

M: Rich, full bodied, lower levels of carbonation, giving it a richer, thicker texture

O: Overall, I though this was incredible, after wandering around Chicago in freezing weather, one of the most delicious porters I've had in a while, maybe one of the best. Recommended by me for sure.

Mavigo, Mar 04, 2013