Bottom Up Wit - Revolution Brewing Company

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-11-2010

Our interpretation of this classic and refreshing Belgian style ale is brewed with pilsner and wheat malts. Freshly ground coriander and Curacao orange peel, along with a special Wit yeast strain, contribute wonderful orange and citrus aromas and a crisp, yet silky, mouthfeel.

to view more.
Ratings: 480 | Reviews: 64
2.49/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Did not have a good mouth feel

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Stylistically signature heavily hazy yellow bodied pour from the can into my angled tumbler. A large, above two finger, thick and creamy white head forms with good retention. Lacing forms in rare, small spots.

S- As one would expect the yeast is the star of the aroma, if it wasn't I would be worried. A vanilla-honey-like sweetness comes to mind with strong aromas of wheat bread, floral tones, citrus zest and spices like clove, coriander and distinct peppercorn.

T- Citrus peel becomes more obvious here and apparently it is extraneously added Curacao peels but for the most part it feels well balanced besides a slight orangey tartness. Notes of cracked wheat, slight banana-clove, coriander, pink peppercorn, vanilla-sweetness and bitter grassy hay.

MF- Overall the body is light-medium thickness and the texture is not all that inspiring; it is silky but feels thin lacking a creamy or frothy feel. Carbonation ends up sort of on the low side finishing with some bitterness from the spice and zest.

A solid and well-rounded brew for an American take on a classic Belgian style. The added peel and coriander seem to get a bit strong towards the end of the experience but I feel like they enhance the brew and play off the vanilla-honey-like sweetness in the flavor well. Refreshing on this warm (doesn't feel real after this winter) night.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This is an exemplary example of an under-appreciated style. Wheat, citrus, and coriander all present and in awesome balance.

Go to wit on a warm day. Nice zest, not too much banana.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tasty interpretation. On tap. Lemony banana nose, hazy creamy yellow pour with nice fine head that leaves rings on the shaker glass a I drink. Creamy mouthfeel. Light wit with nice coriander spice, lemon and light malts. Very nice.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours from the can a hazy straw color with a nice white head and nice lacing.
The aroma is banana and spice and a hint of lemon and cracker.
Very tasty brew. Citrus with the nice coriander bite, a bit more banana coming through as it warms a bit. A lovely bitterly crisp finish.
Nice mouthfeel. Medium and silky smooth yet bubbly and clean.
Overall, really nice wit.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this beer - a very good white.

Very smooth, nice spices, nothing overwhelming or stealing the show. Solid would revisit.

4.74/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was so awesome!

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

6-pack cans for $7.99 at my local shop, a deal that will have me going back for another 6er soon. Smooth citrus wheat ale, very drinkable in cold and warm weather. Nice mellow aftertaste reminiscent of a German wheat.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Can pour. Have had this beer many times and it is a good go-to Wheat ale. Coriander and a hint of salt comes through amongst the bready yeastiness. Light orange comes into the mix, and makes this a refreshing beer that lends itself well to warm weather months.

3.71/5  rDev +0.5%

One of the better wits I've had. Pale straw color. Big banana aroma. I like that the taste is mostly spice coriander and orange. Not much banana at all.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Excellent example of the style.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Pale golden yellow with a bubbly, off-white topping. Lemen and wheat to the nose. A bit metallic. Tastes of coriander of course, with lemon, faint grapefruit and a little orange. Smooth but has a chalky aftertaste. A simple, yet fairly tasty reminder that the basics can still be fun.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Good clean finish. Not too heavy.

3.95/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Clouded golden apricot body looks great wispy bright egg shell white head, fine speckled lacing down the sides of my glass. Aroma has heavy yeast driven and spicy notes of coriander and orange peel additions. The yeast notes and spice additions combine into this chalky, citric, chamomile tea like quality. Flavor has soft bitterness that tastes floral, spicy coriander, citric notes, lavender herbal quality very complex well made witbier maybe too much spice for some witbier drinkers but in my opinion it stays balanced. Mouthfeel, I've enjoyed every Revolution beer I've tasted so far, the textures here are perfect slightly creamy edge from the wheat additions, spicy adds a nice dry finish with some upfront wheat notes, bitter orange peel levels the malt layers out as well. A great food and drink beer, this would pair well with so many different dishes rosemary/garlic braised lamb, white fish, any chicken dish. Overall a complex refreshing well executed witbier canned in Chicago.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. can acquired as an extra in a trade with mps
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a cloudy straw yellow and was topped by a frothy, two-finger tall, off-white crown. Drippy streaks of lacing coated the glass and lasted throughout the session. The head slowly dropped to a thick, foamy cap.

The aroma was intense and spot-on for the style. Loads of banana and spices. Clove and coriander were most apparent. Good dose of lemon and orange peel. Quite wheaty. Strong Belgian yeast notes came through as well. Touch of candi sugar-like sweetness. All in all, crisp, zesty and really pleasant.

The flavor profile started out really solid. A pale, doughy malt backbone anchored the beer on the front end. Tons of zesty lemon appeared in the center. Super spicy. Clove was most noticeable. Lots of wheaty character. Touch of orange peel. The beer took on an intensely bitter, lemon rind and mineral quality on the finish. Pithy and dry with hints of tea-like hops and subtle metallic notes.

On the palate, the liquid was medium bodied and contained a zippy, spritzy effervescence. Creamy, slick and smooth.

This witbier really got me thinking about the warm weather months ahead. Although the finish was a bit strange, I really enjoyed the intensity of this beer and would rank it as one of the better examples of the style.

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Ordered draft while waiting on a flight a O'Hare.
A: dark straw color with little head. Nice lacing with each swallow.
S: faint banana
T: coriander, clove, lemon, banana
M: light and smooth.
O: refreshing but a little harsh in it's delivery. Not a standout but a decent wit.

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a clear plastic cup at the Chicago French Market. Beautiful golden color and good effervescence. Refreshing and easy drinking like a macrobrew but with more of a backbone. I couldn't pick out any flavor aside from "beer" but it was definitely hearty and satisfying. Couldn't really taste any spices at all.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Pale gold; a bit hazy, though you can still easily see through it
S- An indescribable sour-ish smell, fair amount of orange
T- Lots of orange and wheat flavors present throughout. Bit of a grainy aftertaste, not unpleasant
M- medium, though plenty of carbonation
O- Not the greatest fan of wit beers; I suppose I just prefer the comparative heartiness of full-on wheat beers. As for this beer, I felt I came to enjoy it the more I drank it - refreshing and effervescent. Certainly one of the better wit beers I've tried and better than Hoegaarden in my book.

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: golden yellow with a slight haze and a nice sized off-white head.

S: Smells of wheat and lemon with a bit of banana and coriander. Pretty typical of the style I think.

T: Tastes a bit tart in line with the lemon aroma and very grainy with a bit of floral and citrus notes.

M: I really like the carbonation and texture of this. Goes down really smooth and really compliments the citrus flavors.

O: I tend to go for Belgian Strong and Wit beers so I, no doubt, am a bit biased but I could definitely keep coming back for more of this one. That being said, there are other ones out there that I think I like a bit more.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a becker pint. Reviewed from notes.

Imposing white foam caps the hazy golden-orange body, standard fare for the style. The white stuff settles to a thin film at a leisurely pace, leaving behind good flecks and tendrils of lace.

This Wit is more on the heavy end of the wheat spectrum as opposed to spicy when it comes to aroma. Just the slightest hint of banana with a decent burst of clove.

The drink starts with that sweet wheat bread flavor and a bit of banana, mid-palate is where the spiciness of clove and even some white pepper and earthiness start to play around. The finish has more of the play on the wheat bread and soft banana than anything else. I like it!

This beer is pretty smooth, light-medium body, and just the slightest tingle from carb noticed on the tongue.

This Wit certainly did not blow me away, although this style will rarely do that to me. I thought it was appropriate, maybe a little soft on the Wit flavors, while that wheat malt really stands out on the palate.

3.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Cloudy straw-yellow, eager white head, lots of bubbles.

S: Orange, a bit of lemon, mild coriander. Standard witbier.

T: Oranges, coriander, pretty floral up front, but substantially mixed with a grainy flavor especially in the aftertaste, which reminds me of beers from my college days. It's good, but could use some refinement.

M: Some sips are super creamy, some are highly effervescent. Either way, it works with the palate.

O: Good witbier, I dig the cans, but in the end not the best bang for your buck.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A finger of white head sits on top of a straw yellow body. The head disappears in a couple of minutes. No lacing.

Wheat and yeast.

Wheat and yeast with a little sweet grass.

The mouthfeel is great. Light-medium bodied, very refreshing. Carbonation slightly bites the tip of the tongue.

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of lemons, a bit of spice. Taste is spices, lemons, some wheat, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and althought not the most flavorful wit out there, not a bad beer overall.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

The Crack was nothing notable, so I decided to spice things up with an inverted Glug. Oh, man, was that ever the right idea! It got everything in suspension out of suspension and the result looked like banana cream pie with meringue topping. Two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with great retention sat atop a murky, yellowish liquid that looked like either freshly-squeezed grapefruit or banana pudding. Man, as a kid, I used to love instant banana pudding with real banana slices. I still love eating bananas. Yellow, amusing, tasty. Back to basics. The nose smelled like someone emptied the spice rack! I remember a Playboy cartoon as a kid where the guy is positioned to partake of some salmon and he looks upward with the caption being, "I knew this was going to be good, but seeing a spice rack above your headboard ... !" I did not get it at the time, but I do now. Gutes essen! Black pepper or lemon pepper was prevalent, but so was coriander and allspice. The first, and I hesitate to call it a sip, more like a draught, was big and full, not quite viscous, but getting there, and the spices were fantastic. I think that I caught some vanilla in the mix, rounding the edges. Man, but the spices were prevalent in this one. I used to love to cook as a teenager and I was probably better versed then than I am today, but this was like a spice melange. Finish, as you CAN probably imagine, was bone-dry. I felt like I had been licking alum this afternoon. All of that said, would I put in the cooler? Perhaps a few, depending on who was coming along. If it were just me, one might be enough.

to view more.