Bottom Up Wit - Revolution Brewing Company

good

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of this classic and refreshing Belgian style ale is brewed with pilsner and wheat malts. Freshly ground coriander and Curacao orange peel, along with a special Wit yeast strain, contribute wonderful orange and citrus aromas and a crisp, yet silky, mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-11-2010)

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

The Crack was nothing notable, so I decided to spice things up with an inverted Glug. Oh, man, was that ever the right idea! It got everything in suspension out of suspension and the result looked like banana cream pie with meringue topping. Two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with great retention sat atop a murky, yellowish liquid that looked like either freshly-squeezed grapefruit or banana pudding. Man, as a kid, I used to love instant banana pudding with real banana slices. I still love eating bananas. Yellow, amusing, tasty. Back to basics. The nose smelled like someone emptied the spice rack! I remember a Playboy cartoon as a kid where the guy is positioned to partake of some salmon and he looks upward with the caption being, "I knew this was going to be good, but seeing a spice rack above your headboard ... !" I did not get it at the time, but I do now. Gutes essen! Black pepper or lemon pepper was prevalent, but so was coriander and allspice. The first, and I hesitate to call it a sip, more like a draught, was big and full, not quite viscous, but getting there, and the spices were fantastic. I think that I caught some vanilla in the mix, rounding the edges. Man, but the spices were prevalent in this one. I used to love to cook as a teenager and I was probably better versed then than I am today, but this was like a spice melange. Finish, as you CAN probably imagine, was bone-dry. I felt like I had been licking alum this afternoon. All of that said, would I put in the cooler? Perhaps a few, depending on who was coming along. If it were just me, one might be enough.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

4.34/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served at a Revolution brew dinner.

White foamy head and a yeasty haziness.

Lemon peel on the nose, coriander and clean.

Modest coriander, orange peel and notes of bread.

Unassuming, refreshing, crisp and clean. A delicious wit I would love to serve up in the warmer months.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours a very hazy yellowish color with a bit of gold to it. Nice white head and a bit of lacing as it falls. The nose is really nice and does a superb job hitting all the hot points in the style with a great wheat base along with some nice orange and a slight bit of coriander. Great balance between everything. The taste is the same, offering a bit of sweetness and the perfect amount of coriander and citrus peel to complement. Good body; a bit creamy. Drinks quite well. I really enjoyed this. One of the better wits I've had in a long time.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Had this at Revolution tonight with dinner.

Served in a pint glass, this looked like a murky orange/copper juice of some sort. A wispy head formed, with some random spots of lace but not much. The body was opaque, a light shade of pastel orange fading into copper.

Aroma was fairly mellow, a wheaty presence with faint coriander earthiness.

Flavor was more punchy with light orange peel, and a supple mellow feel from the wheat. It finished dry with a mildly tart citrus peel note in the background. Not too heavy or phenolic as some Wits can be, it was nicely balanced, and a touch on the bigger side. Mellow carbonation, with a soft mouthfeel. The flavors really shined in this Wit, and i've had a few in my day that I can say it stands out from the rest. Definitely traditional with a slightly amped up edge.

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Revolution is a new brewery to me, but I've been very impressed so far. Picked up a 6er of this stuff while in Chicago visiting family.

Served in an Elysian tulip.

A: Poured a very saturatedly cloudy, apricot with added pepper color, with quite a bit of froth and web-like lacing left on the glass.

S: Lots of spices, but it wasn't as coriander heavy as I'm used to with this style which was a good change of pace. Some bubble gum, apricots, coriander, and fresh wheat. Moderate potency.

T: Extremely bubble gum-like on the finish. Seriously, my sinuses were welcomed with fumes of peach/apricot/coriander Bubbalicious. I also got a bit of white pepper in there as well that was most welcome.

M: The finish along made this one for me. Nothing overly sweet or cloying, great carbonation bill, and the lacing was substantial.

O: Like I stated from the onset, Revolution brews some good shit.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%