Bottom Up Wit - Revolution Brewing Company

good

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of this classic and refreshing Belgian style ale is brewed with pilsner and wheat malts. Freshly ground coriander and Curacao orange peel, along with a special Wit yeast strain, contribute wonderful orange and citrus aromas and a crisp, yet silky, mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 02-11-2010)
4.41/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

The Crack was nothing notable, so I decided to spice things up with an inverted Glug. Oh, man, was that ever the right idea! It got everything in suspension out of suspension and the result looked like banana cream pie with meringue topping. Two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with great retention sat atop a murky, yellowish liquid that looked like either freshly-squeezed grapefruit or banana pudding. Man, as a kid, I used to love instant banana pudding with real banana slices. I still love eating bananas. Yellow, amusing, tasty. Back to basics. The nose smelled like someone emptied the spice rack! I remember a Playboy cartoon as a kid where the guy is positioned to partake of some salmon and he looks upward with the caption being, "I knew this was going to be good, but seeing a spice rack above your headboard ... !" I did not get it at the time, but I do now. Gutes essen! Black pepper or lemon pepper was prevalent, but so was coriander and allspice. The first, and I hesitate to call it a sip, more like a draught, was big and full, not quite viscous, but getting there, and the spices were fantastic. I think that I caught some vanilla in the mix, rounding the edges. Man, but the spices were prevalent in this one. I used to love to cook as a teenager and I was probably better versed then than I am today, but this was like a spice melange. Finish, as you CAN probably imagine, was bone-dry. I felt like I had been licking alum this afternoon. All of that said, would I put in the cooler? Perhaps a few, depending on who was coming along. If it were just me, one might be enough.

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber verging on burnt orange; not much of a head and what is there leaves quickly, though some splashes of lace are left behind

Smell: Wheat bread, banana, orange blossom, coriander and cumin

Taste: Doughy, up front, with the spices and fruit flavors developing in the middle; the wheat bread and banana flavors linger, after the swallow, though there is a sharp, almost metallic, spice character in the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate but slightly prickly carbonation

Overall: A pretty decent stab at a Wit, though not quite on par with some of Revolution's other beers

Thanks, jonallan, for the opportunity

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The Bottom Up is a decent Witbier. The beer poured a clear golden as I was careful not to pour a lot of settlement into my glass. The scent carries faint lemony citrus. The taste has some bitter characteristics that mesh well with the lemon flare. The mouthfeel is lighter in body and the carbonation is good. Overall it is a decent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%