Rosa Hibiscus Ale - Revolution Brewing Company

good

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.80% ABV

Tart summer ale infused with 12lbs of Hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. Her sexy pink hue, leaves her to be desired.

Duplicate entry, rename of "Rosie"
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 2072/60418

(Beer added by: AgentZero on 07-02-2011)
SBoeckman72

08-13-2014 00:01:45 | More by KevChiTown
blue-dream

06-13-2014 13:12:06 | More by blue-dream
csparace

I had to write this review to justify the bastardly low rating I gave it. I love Revolution and basically everything else they've made but this one is not like the others and doesn't belong. I never want to have to slam a beer like this again.

Appearance (1.75) – This is the first sign that something terribly wrong has occurred. Out of the can you can immediately see this girly pink color which is exactly like that cheap pink champagne that chicks buy for their sorority reunions. A huge, bleach white head foams up to about 3 full fingers (insert second sorority joke). Once the head settles you can see no carbonation rising to the top. The pink glow turns into a glassy, red whisky look. Still cant get the idea of pink bubbly out of my head.

Smell (2.00) – Light and slightly yeasty. Reminds me of the Belgian style. Slightly floral. Also smells pretty much like Busch light – that slightly metallic cheap beer smell. After the first few gulps, the smell fades completely.

Taste (2.25) – Welcome back to freshman year boys. All those terrible descriptions of [insert any adjunct lager here] you have sealed away in a vault hoping never to need again all come rushing towards you. I'll spare the language. I guess what I'm tasting could be attributed to the hibiscus plant but it really tastes more lemony than anything. I get relatively no malt profile and hops seem to have been forgotten.

Mouthfeel (1.50) – “This is kind of like having sex on a boat.... its near water” Revolution claims this is a “highly drinkable ale” I can't really argue with that. If right this second I was faced with a life or death situation in which I had to for some reason shot gun a beer – I'd grab one of these out of my fridge. The very mild carbonation in conjunction with the lack of taste this beer has makes it incredibly unsatisfying.

Overall (1.75) – Right now I'm really fighting the urge to throw on a toga and crush this can on my head. There is essentially nothing to this beer. I hate to slam such an awesome brewery but I just can't ever let a friend buy this beer – not when a sixer costs that of a comparable beer case. There is no taste, no smell, and the appearance is demeaning. It is exactly 5.8% better than water. I was so excited to try a new beer from Rev but damn.... I have to ask myself, how is is rated as high as it is????

Revolution is definitely still one of my favorite breweries. Basically EVERYTHING ELSE I have ever had from them has been great or even outstanding. The level that this beer came out is just so far below what they are capable of that it really makes me sad. Even so, Anti-Hero, Eugene-Porter, Galaxy-Hero, and A Little Crazy will always be stocked in my fridge.

For the love of god though – spare yourself.

05-10-2013 23:59:55 | More by csparace

Wisconsin

08-08-2014 12:18:46 | More by WiscoTerr
beeroverwineguy

2.06/5  rDev -41.1%

I was excited over tasting a new beer steeped with habiscus and very dissappointed in the actual beer itself. I will not buy again. Sorry. I was expecting a stronger habiscus influence that was not present in this beer. I truly believe that a habiscus steeped beer can be made a bit better with a greater proportion of habiscus ratio in order to be a great summer beer when you are mowing the lawn or doing some grilling.

05-09-2013 22:51:59 | More by beeroverwineguy

mpenning13

04-19-2014 01:29:33 | More by mpenning13
Bedhead

2.43/5  rDev -30.6%

Pink peer is certainly interesting. Beer was just okay. Lacked much flavor at all, and the only flavor it did have was all floral. No hops or anything else to remind you, "Hey, this is beer!" Another one of those beers that sounds good on paper and just doesn't work in practice. It wasn't horrible, at least it was drinkable, but I wouldn't order it again.

11-06-2012 20:09:54 | More by Bedhead
kristenrae8

08-11-2014 00:14:34 | More by kristenrae8
matjack85

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

I tried this at the brewpub more out of curiosity than anything else. Served in what they told me was a tall, thin bell glass.

The beer had a pinkish/red color to it, pretty clear, and with a ½-finger of white head on top. Head retention lasted about a minute and there was only a smattering of spotty lacing.

Flowery and fruity smell with lots of hibiscus in the aroma.

A little sweet, a little tart, with a cherry-like fruity taste. Also lots of hibiscus flavor which I don't particularly like, but wanted to try anyway.

Light with medium carbonation.

Definitely nothing I would order again, but glad I tried it for its uniqueness.

12-02-2012 06:39:01 | More by matjack85

MastaShonuf

06-08-2013 03:27:51 | More by MastaShonuf
tjsdomer2

2.74/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance: Copper. Decent carbonation, but no lacing or foam. Flat.

Smell: Sour lemon and orange rind. Some coriander. No hibiscus...

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tangy honey and black pepper. Molasses finish. Very bitter in the finish. Metallic and skunked. Pretty good initially, but I hate the finish. Sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: Very disappointing, especially for Revolution.

06-10-2013 01:27:12 | More by tjsdomer2