Rosa Hibiscus Ale - Revolution Brewing Company

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: AgentZero on 07-02-2011

Tart summer ale infused with 12lbs of Hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. Her sexy pink hue, leaves her to be desired.

Duplicate entry, rename of "Rosie"
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 2072/60418
1.99/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I had to write this review to justify the bastardly low rating I gave it. I love Revolution and basically everything else they've made but this one is not like the others and doesn't belong. I never want to have to slam a beer like this again.

Appearance (1.75) – This is the first sign that something terribly wrong has occurred. Out of the can you can immediately see this girly pink color which is exactly like that cheap pink champagne that chicks buy for their sorority reunions. A huge, bleach white head foams up to about 3 full fingers (insert second sorority joke). Once the head settles you can see no carbonation rising to the top. The pink glow turns into a glassy, red whisky look. Still cant get the idea of pink bubbly out of my head.

Smell (2.00) – Light and slightly yeasty. Reminds me of the Belgian style. Slightly floral. Also smells pretty much like Busch light – that slightly metallic cheap beer smell. After the first few gulps, the smell fades completely.

Taste (2.25) – Welcome back to freshman year boys. All those terrible descriptions of [insert any adjunct lager here] you have sealed away in a vault hoping never to need again all come rushing towards you. I'll spare the language. I guess what I'm tasting could be attributed to the hibiscus plant but it really tastes more lemony than anything. I get relatively no malt profile and hops seem to have been forgotten.

Mouthfeel (1.50) – “This is kind of like having sex on a boat.... its near water” Revolution claims this is a “highly drinkable ale” I can't really argue with that. If right this second I was faced with a life or death situation in which I had to for some reason shot gun a beer – I'd grab one of these out of my fridge. The very mild carbonation in conjunction with the lack of taste this beer has makes it incredibly unsatisfying.

Overall (1.75) – Right now I'm really fighting the urge to throw on a toga and crush this can on my head. There is essentially nothing to this beer. I hate to slam such an awesome brewery but I just can't ever let a friend buy this beer – not when a sixer costs that of a comparable beer case. There is no taste, no smell, and the appearance is demeaning. It is exactly 5.8% better than water. I was so excited to try a new beer from Rev but damn.... I have to ask myself, how is is rated as high as it is????

Revolution is definitely still one of my favorite breweries. Basically EVERYTHING ELSE I have ever had from them has been great or even outstanding. The level that this beer came out is just so far below what they are capable of that it really makes me sad. Even so, Anti-Hero, Eugene-Porter, Galaxy-Hero, and A Little Crazy will always be stocked in my fridge.

For the love of god though – spare yourself. (2,788 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -38.8%

I was excited over tasting a new beer steeped with habiscus and very dissappointed in the actual beer itself. I will not buy again. Sorry. I was expecting a stronger habiscus influence that was not present in this beer. I truly believe that a habiscus steeped beer can be made a bit better with a greater proportion of habiscus ratio in order to be a great summer beer when you are mowing the lawn or doing some grilling. (421 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -26.8%

Pink peer is certainly interesting. Beer was just okay. Lacked much flavor at all, and the only flavor it did have was all floral. No hops or anything else to remind you, "Hey, this is beer!" Another one of those beers that sounds good on paper and just doesn't work in practice. It wasn't horrible, at least it was drinkable, but I wouldn't order it again. (357 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -25%

I tried this at the brewpub more out of curiosity than anything else. Served in what they told me was a tall, thin bell glass.

The beer had a pinkish/red color to it, pretty clear, and with a ½-finger of white head on top. Head retention lasted about a minute and there was only a smattering of spotty lacing.

Flowery and fruity smell with lots of hibiscus in the aroma.

A little sweet, a little tart, with a cherry-like fruity taste. Also lots of hibiscus flavor which I don't particularly like, but wanted to try anyway.

Light with medium carbonation.

Definitely nothing I would order again, but glad I tried it for its uniqueness. (639 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

Pour is deep orangish amber with a yellowish white head. Nose is heavily caramel malt with a faint touch of adjunct grain and a little orange citrus. Taste follows pretty close, a bit more citrus, adjunct grains, overly sweet malt. Medium body, moderate carb, clean finish. (276 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Copper. Decent carbonation, but no lacing or foam. Flat.

Smell: Sour lemon and orange rind. Some coriander. No hibiscus...

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tangy honey and black pepper. Molasses finish. Very bitter in the finish. Metallic and skunked. Pretty good initially, but I hate the finish. Sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: Very disappointing, especially for Revolution. (370 characters)

Pours a pale strawberry red with little head, looks like flavored water.

Strong aroma of hibiscus (obviously) and not much else.

Tastes like slightly carbonated hibiscus water, okay but nothing outstanding.

Mouthfeel is thin and very tea like.

Overall, this is a refreshing tea like beer, but unless you like tea you probably won't like this. (346 characters)

12 FL. OZ. can
Served in a pokal

It is auburn with golden highlights. It is capped with a couple inches of off-white head. There is some decent lacing.

The aroma has a floral smell with some berries. I also get some candy corn.

The taste is pretty much the same.

It has a thin, watery mouthfeel.

I've had a couple hibiscus beers before and thought I would like this one. I thought incorrectly. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy a six pack. (440 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours auburn in color, with, I never though I would say this, but a soft pink colored head. The aroma is a bit bready and reminds me somewhat of a sour.

The taste is funky up front, then slightly tart, and plain jane in the finish. I cant make out any kind of nice malt flavor, or hop flavor.... it must be the hibiscus flower taking control? Mouthfeel is soft on the palate, but this doesnt seem to be due to any lack of anything. (436 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance-
Probably the best thing about this beer. It is a incredible pink amber hue, with a thick head.

Smell- Malty lager with sour bite.

Taste- Malty lager with sour bite.

Mouthfeel-
Very refreshing, big bubbles.

Overall-
An interesting experiment, but never need to drink it again. (291 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a dark pink/ruby red; small off-white head fades quickly leaving nice retention and decent lacing. The aromas are very weak, smells like nothing. There are hints of white wine. Flavors aren't offensive at all, but extremely boring. The herbs don't seem to shine at all. Flavors are tart, but not cloying. Mouthfeel is fine; light, fizzy, and smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Despite being boring, this would hit the spot on a summer day. It's still quaffable.

Weird beer. Very bland. To me, it's nothing more than something to keep you refreshed. (582 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

The Rosa Hibiscus Ale from Revolution is ok. The beer poured a amber with purple tinge. There was little head and no lacing. The scent had a spice to it that reminded me of raisons....maybe. The taste was slightly dry with mild spice to it and had a slight citrus to it. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall, the beer was good....but not one that I would consider a go to. (400 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from tap into glass at revolution. Pours a nice light red color with a good head.

Nice aromas of roses, herbs, red fruits and some citrus notes as well. Doesn't have much depth though.

Light bodied with a crisp feel. Lacking a bit on the mid and back end with notes of roses, red fruits and citrus.

A quaff-able beer. It's nice for a hot day, but outside of that I still find it uninteresting. (403 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - pours a clear pinkish orange with a minimal disappearing head. No lace. No bubbles.

S - mild aroma. I get mostly pale malt, yeast and faint hibiscus.

T - bready malt with a mild tartness and fruityness from the hibiscus. Meh.

M - light body. Slightly tart and astringent.

O - a light summer beer with a semi-rare ingredient that doesn't do much for me. (360 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a deep amber/reddish color. This one wasn't skewed pink, as others have had.
Slight tart smell, but not overpowering.
Clean, crisp, drinkable beer with just a bit of tart right at the end.
A refreshing feel, a nice spice/tart thing going on.
A good beer. Nothing remarkable or memorable, but a good beer. (312 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance- Poured a pinkish brown, very odd colored. Pop like fizzy whitish head that pretty much went away instantly.

Smell-Definitely herbal, like honey glazed flower pedals. Rather winey with a fermented grape like quality. Some pithy qualities in there, almost fungal(perhaps my interpretation of the hibiscus in there).

Taste- A nice little combo of sweet and tart with some floral sweetness followed by a tangy sourness of sorts. Made me think of a "beer version" of a wine cooler.

Mouthfeel- Very fine carbonation again, like soda, thin and fizzy. Refreshing and didn't necessarily feel like tasting an alcoholic beverage (a positive or negative depending on preference).

Overall- Not a bad drink, fairly refreshing if not just a little odd. I could see this pairing well with some pork with some fruit chutney. Don't know that I'd necessarily drink it myself again but could be a nice summer offering for those not fond of hops or those with a predilection towards fruitier alcoholic drinks. (1,005 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours an odd pinkish orange with a white frothy head that dissipates quickly. I've never had a beer that looked quite like this.

Smells like sweet rose wine. Not good.

Tastes much lighter then it smells. Slightly bitter sweet on the front end. It's hard to make out distinct flavors because it is very light, not a whole lot of body. What I do taste isn't bad, slightly floral and hints of malt however not in a traditional sense.

Moderately strong carbonation and an overall light feel. A little bit of floral bitterness, similar to eating any number of edible flowers.

Really interesting overall. Taste was pretty good and light in comparison to the smell. Defiantly one of the more unique beers I've had recently. (721 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A -rose colored, thin fizzy head dissipates to nothing rather quickly
S -herbal, floral, rose, biscuit, vegetal
T - fresh & floral, hibiscus, earth, herbal, orange, veg, tangy, tart, and spicy finish
M - thinner body, higher carbonation
O - Wasn't crazy over this one. It was fairly refreshing, but I couldn't have more than one of these at a time. (348 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

I had this on tap at the brewpub, along with a very good bacon & egg sandwich. It was a pink-hued peach color with nearly no foam, just a film. I could smell the hibiscus, it seems this is the fourth or fifth hibiscus beer I've tried this year. There was a time when I didn't know the smell but that time is past.

Sweet tasting up front, with a lightly bitter aftertaste that doesn't seem rooted in hops. OK tasting but maybe a little bland, not a lot that I enjoyed in the flavor. Carbonation on the light side.

The food was tastier than this beer, but at least they had Anti-Hero on cask, that is such a great beer. (619 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a very clear pinkish red color with a nice fluffy pink/white head and lots of carbonation.

S - Hibiscus, melon, white grapes, and light floral.

T - Berries, hibiscus, pears, honeydew, light floral presence, with some tartness.

M - Medium body, gentle carbonation, and a lingering mild berry tartness.

O - Rates up there with one of the most unique beers I've experienced and definitely the last one of these for me. Beautiful color and glad to have experienced it, but no thanks. (495 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big shout out to the canquest creator, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden/pinkish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very light, some mild floral notes, not much going on. Taste has a lot more to it than the smell. Berries, hibiscus, malts, grains, some tartness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a decent beer, unique and worth a try. (385 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz. can, with no apparent freshness or canned on date present. Confident that this is fresh though, brewed 20 minutes away in Chicago. My second review of a beer from Revolution Brewing Co.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Aggressive pour yields just shy of two fingers of pinkish white foamy head. Body color is a reddish-orange. Head thins to a foamy ring, no lacing.

S - Smell is light and wine-like. Flowery hibiscus presence, bready malts, and lots of acidic red wine / fermented grapes. Reminds me of the nose on a cheap five dollar bottle of wine from Jewel, only way more tame and inoffensive. Not a bad smell, just isn't doing anything for me.

T - Taste is a couple notches above the nose, but comprises much of the same. Sweet floral hibiscus, some spice, bready malt backbone keeping things in check, with some tart sour red wine / grape characteristics. Definitely tastes more wine-like than beer-like, in my opinion. Slight warming alcohol & some metallics on the finish. This could probably benefit from some hop presence, or something.

M - Feel ends quickly, and leaves the palate bone dry. Good carbonation, with an acidic wine-like aftertaste, again.

Overall, I give this beer props for creativity, but it doesn't really do anything for me. Far too much like a beer-wine cooler hybrid in my opinion. Definitely unique, and I'm glad to have tried it, but this is not a beer I would consider buying again.

Revolution Rosa Hibiscus Ale ---3.5/5 (1,485 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A reddish pink color with an off white small head. Patchy head remains with little lacing around the glass.

S- Floral and sweet with some yeasty/bready character behind the sweet smell. Slight tart and fruity character towards the end.

T- Sweet tangy/citrus, floral beginning to the beer with slight lemon reminiscent of many wheat beer. Sweet character follows into the middle with a yeasty/grainy taste. The end of the beer brings a slightly tart and a stronger floral taste.

M- Light body with a dry finish.

O- Not a bad summer beer and its light character helps out on a hot day. Lacks an overall polish (for lack of a better word) to bring all of the components together. (683 characters)

Served on tap at Revolution

A: appears a vibrant pinkish red, no head, clear, no lacing

S: the nose is very floral and full of hibiscus character backed up with some tart cherry character cherry

T: this brew tastes like a combination of biting into a flower and sucking on a cherry jolly rancher. There are hints at tartness but the hibiscus overpowers it. The end result is somewhat unbalanced. Certainly a unique brew.

Mf: light body high carb

O: this brew has refreshing qualities, but not really my favorite combo of flavors (534 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler from Alex's Birthday Bash.

A - Pours reddish/pink in color, white head, spotty lace.

S - A mix of fruity, floral, and herbal sweetness with some light malty notes.

T - Fruity sweetness, light tartness, some herbal bitterness.

M - Light body, good carbonation, refreshing, clean finish.

O - A nice summer beer that's relatively easy to drink, but nothing to go crazy about. Something nice for a change-of-pace, but that's about it. (443 characters)

Rosa Hibiscus Ale from Revolution Brewing Company