Rosa Hibiscus Ale - Revolution Brewing Company

good

Revolution Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.80% ABV

Tart summer ale infused with 12lbs of Hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. Her sexy pink hue, leaves her to be desired.

Duplicate entry, rename of "Rosie"
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 2072/60418

(Beer added by: AgentZero on 07-02-2011)

Hugonaut13, May 18, 2013

Ebf, May 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

plumcrazyfx, May 17, 2013

Infamous7100, May 16, 2013

MarkFy, May 16, 2013

avschmitt, May 15, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

A pale pink, Rosa looks like a blush or a white zinfandel rather than a beer, with the exception that a wine won't form a head on it. Rosa does, a pure white one that's pretty loose overall but has good retention once it drops and leaves a little lacing in moderate spotting.
Pale malts with an obvious floral note and a little sweetness from light fruits make up the aroma. Light and pale but not weak, per se.
Very gentle sweetness balances with evenly leveled tartness as some citrus zest pulls through. It's a touch lemony as well. The pale malt holds it up while the obvious floral notes rest over everything without dominating. Actually it's very well constructed, as the task of keeping a beer as light as this one without openly displaying flaws is a difficult one, not to mention making a beer this light that actually has substance.
The feel is as light as I'd expect but gives some depth. The body actually leans toward medium, though it still rests in light-bodied territory. Crispness doesn't disappoint on either the light or heavy end, pretty effervescent but not overly so, and it's pretty smooth as well.

Brenden, May 13, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

Stevie_Janowski, May 13, 2013

pirmannt1, May 13, 2013

briiguy, May 13, 2013

MIA4IPA, May 12, 2013

JakeMorgan13, May 11, 2013
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I had to write this review to justify the bastardly low rating I gave it. I love Revolution and basically everything else they've made but this one is not like the others and doesn't belong. I never want to have to slam a beer like this again.

Appearance (1.75) – This is the first sign that something terribly wrong has occurred. Out of the can you can immediately see this girly pink color which is exactly like that cheap pink champagne that chicks buy for their sorority reunions. A huge, bleach white head foams up to about 3 full fingers (insert second sorority joke). Once the head settles you can see no carbonation rising to the top. The pink glow turns into a glassy, red whisky look. Still cant get the idea of pink bubbly out of my head.

Smell (2.00) – Light and slightly yeasty. Reminds me of the Belgian style. Slightly floral. Also smells pretty much like Busch light – that slightly metallic cheap beer smell. After the first few gulps, the smell fades completely.

Taste (2.25) – Welcome back to freshman year boys. All those terrible descriptions of [insert any adjunct lager here] you have sealed away in a vault hoping never to need again all come rushing towards you. I'll spare the language. I guess what I'm tasting could be attributed to the hibiscus plant but it really tastes more lemony than anything. I get relatively no malt profile and hops seem to have been forgotten.

Mouthfeel (1.50) – “This is kind of like having sex on a boat.... its near water” Revolution claims this is a “highly drinkable ale” I can't really argue with that. If right this second I was faced with a life or death situation in which I had to for some reason shot gun a beer – I'd grab one of these out of my fridge. The very mild carbonation in conjunction with the lack of taste this beer has makes it incredibly unsatisfying.

Overall (1.75) – Right now I'm really fighting the urge to throw on a toga and crush this can on my head. There is essentially nothing to this beer. I hate to slam such an awesome brewery but I just can't ever let a friend buy this beer – not when a sixer costs that of a comparable beer case. There is no taste, no smell, and the appearance is demeaning. It is exactly 5.8% better than water. I was so excited to try a new beer from Rev but damn.... I have to ask myself, how is is rated as high as it is????

Revolution is definitely still one of my favorite breweries. Basically EVERYTHING ELSE I have ever had from them has been great or even outstanding. The level that this beer came out is just so far below what they are capable of that it really makes me sad. Even so, Anti-Hero, Eugene-Porter, Galaxy-Hero, and A Little Crazy will always be stocked in my fridge.

For the love of god though – spare yourself.

csparace, May 11, 2013

bcm75, May 11, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

Sheva, May 10, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

bgoblue2, May 10, 2013
2.06/5  rDev -41.1%

I was excited over tasting a new beer steeped with habiscus and very dissappointed in the actual beer itself. I will not buy again. Sorry. I was expecting a stronger habiscus influence that was not present in this beer. I truly believe that a habiscus steeped beer can be made a bit better with a greater proportion of habiscus ratio in order to be a great summer beer when you are mowing the lawn or doing some grilling.

beeroverwineguy, May 09, 2013
3.16/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - pours a clear pinkish orange with a minimal disappearing head. No lace. No bubbles.

S - mild aroma. I get mostly pale malt, yeast and faint hibiscus.

T - bready malt with a mild tartness and fruityness from the hibiscus. Meh.

M - light body. Slightly tart and astringent.

O - a light summer beer with a semi-rare ingredient that doesn't do much for me.

GuzzLah, May 09, 2013