Join our email list →

Revolution Brewing Company
Illinois, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 8.80% ABV

Beer added by: homebrew311 on 12-10-2011

Our Imperial Red Ale is brewed with whole Cascade hops and dry-hopped in both the fermenter and the serving tank with whole Crystal hops. A flavorful, hoppy delight balanced with caramel sweetness and alcohol warmth.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.03/5  rDev -1%

On-tap at Revolution. Served in a tulip.

A - A finger of off-white foam settles to a thick creamy cap, leaving behind splotches of lacing. Transparent, ruby red body.

S - Big Cascade hop presence imparts tons of oranges, but there's a bigger brown sugar, caramel, and light cocoa malt backdrop that reveals the Imperial Red side of the equation. There's a bit of dank pine as well that I'm guessing is from the Crystal dry hops. Served a bit too cold, so this was a muted when I got it - give it a bit of time to warm up.

T - Taste is also generous with ripe, juicy oranges, with perhaps a touch of herbaceous character in the finish. Thankfully, the astringency that plagued Hop Princess is mostly gone. Some lightly browned sugar and icing sugar malt character. Bitterness creeps up fairly quickly and becomes palate-bruising by the end of the tulip.

M - Carbonation is a bit higher than I like, and starts off a bit harsh and zesty before settling down. Dry, crisp, medium body, with no obvious alcohol, and tons of residual hop oils and resins.

D - It's nowhere near as awesome Red Scare, but it's significantly better than Hop Princess. I'm generally not a huge fan of Imperial Reds, but this is a good take on the style and is dangerously drinkable. I found the balance between hops and malts to work well here, and I put down my tulip quite quickly (although I was assisted by the excessive crowd density at Revolution, which made me want to drink elsewhere).

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Revolution Red Skull
This was described to me as an imperial red ale, I was unable to gather info about its abv and such.

A: clear bold red, thick dense creamy head, lots of lacing, great retention

S: earthy floral hops, caramel, pine

T: luscious hops paired with load of caramel, a bit of caraway character
Pine needles. Everything is in harmony... No excess bitterness

Mf: smooth, silky, creamy, delightful

O: this is a harmoniously balanced imperial red. Delicious.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last