Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (Jamaica) - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (Jamaica)Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (Jamaica)

good

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: markaberrant on 04-02-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.58/5  rDev -56.1%

I made a new entry for this beer, as it clearly states on the bottle "Brewed and bottled by Desnoes & Geddes Ltd, product of Jamaica." Interesting that it is labelled as Guinness Foreign Extra, but is only 6.5% abv, which is more in line with Guinness Extra. I thought all Guinness FES in this region was imported from Ireland, but apparently not. Here it goes.

275ml bottle served in 16 oz pint glass.

Pours opaque black with a generous tan head. Nice sheets of lacing down the glass.

Smell starts out promising with some sweet-ish roasty malt, but then a sour citrus note comes in to dominate.

Taste starts out with the sour citrus and continues right through the middle. Some harsh roast flavours show up in the finish and it is also sorta sorta chalky. The more you drink of it, the more everything blends into a nasty overall taste.

Mouthfeel is ok I guess, but who cares when it tastes this bad?

I found this same sour citrus character in Bohemia Especial from the Dominican Republic, only it was somewhat enjoyable in a light lager. I'm guessing this flavour comes from some sort of cheap grain/adjunct. I suppose there could be something wrong with this particular bottle, but I'm not sure I want to try my other bottle of this crap...

markaberrant, Apr 03, 2007

bostonryan, Mar 02, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a dark dark brown that's not quite black but almost there. Head is frothy as opposed to typical Guinness creamy and dissolves quickly leaving minimal residue on the glass.

The aroma has some sweetness to it in the form of caramel and perhaps some chocolate and fruit notes, as well as a hint of roasted malt. Not bad, but not great.

The flavour is basically on par with the aroma, but almost a bit of a watered down version of it. Flavours don't necessarily mesh well together because of a lack of balance here. Even seemed a bit tart at times. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and probably the lightest Guinness I've ever experienced. There's a bit of slickness to this one as well.

This Guinness Foreign Extra Stout was the one beer I was looking forward to finding in Jamaica, and I have to say that this one turned out to be very average and bland at best. This is indeed a different brew that's made in Jamaica and is for the island and perhaps the others in the Caribbean as well and is certainly not the brew that folks here seek out. There's nothing terribly wrong here, but I am shocked to say I found myself reaching for and drinking more Red Stripe Light than Guinness FES on my trip. At least be wary of this one if you're in the Caribbean and check the label to see where it's brewed...if it says it's from Jamaica then you're stuck with the blandness of this brew.

SixpointJMH, Jun 02, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

275ml bottle acquired in trade with goldtwins (thanks!). Bottle labeled BB March '07.

Poured a dark black color (almost brown) with a smaller sized tan head. Aromas of roast, chocolate, caramel, some dark fruits and a little buttery. Tastes of tart cherries, green apples, light chocolate, and caramel. A little on the tart and sour side with the butteriness not as apparent in the tastes. Light lacing left on the glass.

Notes from 4/27/06

hopdog, Nov 12, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Lovingly brought back for consumption by my friend and yours, AndoBrew, on his return from Africa, the Dark Continent.

Appearance: Pours a black body with a full, though quickly thinning, ivory-colored head.

Smell: Drat, the aroma's not nearly as expressive as I had hoped. Only a thin, thin measure of chocolate along with frown-inducing vegetal notes.

Taste: Light chocolate and molasses flavors with only a mild sweetness. Again, that vegetal trait rears it's ugly head. Hop bitterness and roastiness, both light, on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It literally felt like there was disappointment in my mouth.

ChainGangGuy, Oct 04, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

GABrew, Sep 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

mpalestino, Aug 05, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle: Poured a black color stout with a large brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of black chocolate with some lactose notes are quite interesting and different then the aroma of the regular version. Taste is also dominated by loads of black chocolate notes with some sweet undertones with lactose notes. Body is thinner then I would have expected with some good carbonation. Enjoyable in the sense that there is not much else to drink that is somewhat interesting in Kenya.

Phyl21ca, Mar 22, 2012

tscanlon51, Jan 26, 2013

DaveMiller, May 03, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a six pack in the beer desert that is Grand Cayman.

A-Looks beautiful, especially compared to the Caybrew and BMC alternatives. Deep dark brown, quite opaque.

S-Lots of roasty malt and bitter earthy hops.

T-A bit of a disappointment, really. Starts off with a solid roasted malt presence that quickly dissolves into an overbearing hop bitterness. I do like my hops but a little balance would be nice.

M-As with the taste, too much lingering bitterness.

D-The two I had after a day of sitting in a conference room (rather than on a beach) were nice but I did not seek this out afterward.

HV

sholland119, Mar 11, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Written from notes after the fact: Served cold from the bottle at a street market in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

A: Couldn't really see much since I was served a bottle on the street, and had no glassware available. Holding it to the sun, it had the classic Guinness appearance.

S: Classic Guinness smells as well, perhaps a slight sour odor as well.

T: Suprising. This isn't the Guinness that we all know. The dry toasty stout classic Guinness flavors are all there, however there is a chocolate sweetness that is counteracted by a (I swear to god) lemon flavor. It tastes just like a slice of lemon was dropped in the bottle. This makes the beer VERY drinkable in the Jamaica sun. Suprising and fun.

M: Bittersweet upfront with a nice sourness at the end. I might like this better than "regular" Guinness.

D: Much more drinkable than it's European brother. This beer is designed to beat the heat and it does so with a lot of class and character. I would drink it again and again no question.

stonesean, Jun 14, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Although I noticed the bottle was unique, I didn't realize that it was uniquely brewed in Jamaica.

A - Pours a nice black with a thumb of mocha head, solid retention and some fine sheeting lacing.

S - Roasted cocoa and dark chocolate with a bitter espresso finish.

T - Much like the flavour the roasted chocolate and cocoa dominate the palette, but the bitter coffee lingers on the finish.

M - Not your traditional Guiness, with loads more carbonation and goes down a bit prickly.

D - I prefer the Guiness we get in Canada, though this is still a tasty stout and worth a try when visiting Jamaica.

andrenaline, Mar 03, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

I'm guessing this is the one from Jamaica. I got it on Grand Cayman and it was sitting next to some Red Stripe Light and Dragon Stout. Anyway, the beer had a nice thick tan head, which thinned out a bit, but still had good coverage. The smell was sweet, malty, and smokey, which I really liked. The taste was nice, but not as nice as the smell. It had more of hop bite to it and got a little bitter as it went down the throat. All in all a cool beer. I'm glad I paid double for it, especially since it's hard to find around the states.

JISurfer, Feb 20, 2009

irishkyle21, May 06, 2013

Rhettroactive, Jun 04, 2014

milkbone_underwear, Mar 12, 2013

Piason, May 11, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed at Time N Place in Falmouth, Jamaica. Reviewed from notes.

A - Nice, black beer here. Good looking mocha head. Excellent lacing.

S - Touches of baker's chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee.

T - Roasted malt dominates the flavor, before being subdued a touch by sweet chocolate and coffee notes. Finishes clean with a hint of hop bit.

M - Rather full bodied, heavier on carbonation.

Overall - I'll be honest, I was spending the day on a beach in Jamaica and didn't want to pound Red Stripe. I was very happy for Guinness FES that day. Is it a spectacular beer? No. But it's solid, it gave me what I was looking for, and it's much better than some of the other American Guinness iterations. Good for a long session of drinking.

BeerBuckeye, Mar 11, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Kingcurio, Aug 30, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

I got this on my honeymoon and waited to come home to drink it, and glad I did. Poured a nice dark color and nice white head with thick lacing. Smells of coffee and sweet malts, even alcohol. It tasted of a very good scotch ale. A little smokey, more filling than usual, and a nice warming alcohol presence.

OWSLEY069, Jun 07, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Finally found this in a bar in Ocho Rios during our recent trip to Jamaica. I thought I'd be stuck with nothing but Real Rock and Red Stripe all week! This one poured very dark with a ruby hue. Thin wisps of fine, brown foam laced the top of the beer. Roasty aroma of dark malts with a bit of cherry in the background. Medium to low bitterness and very malty without being cloying. Very roasty, which gave the texture some dryness, and earthy tart cherry skins gave it a pleasing fruity character. Medium/full bodied with lowish carbonation, good texture, perhaps some faint alcohol. This really hit the spot after nearly a week of nothing but light lagers.

DrJay, Apr 30, 2008

Originally reviewed on: 09-01-2002 17:41:23

I was able to score some bottles of this in Negril, Jamaica from my resort manager (which currently say 6.5% abv).... a welcome relief from Red Stripe (though this is brewed by the same people here in Jamaica - Desnoe & Geddes)!!! Nice black color, with a creamy, tan head. Leaves decent lacing in the cup. Nose was coffee-ish, somewhat bitter, and on the subdued side. A bit less than medium body-wise, but still fairly smooth. Flavor exhibited lots of roasty, coffee notes, with a hoppy, bitter, dry finish. Some citrus-like astringency was present, too. Pretty good, considering...

overall: 3.85
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

Originally reviewed on: 09-01-2002 17:41:23

Bierman9, Jul 15, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Jet black, almost looks shiny. Great tan head on top. Somewhat of a sweet and sour aroma to it. Milk chocolate like. Smooth roasted flavors dominate. Has a silky, mild chcolate flavor. Slight lactic sourness. Damn good mouthfeel-the slight sourness of the flavor makes my mouth feel happy. The further down the glass I get the more enjoyable this beer becomes. This would be great on tap. Blows away the US version.

lackenhauser, Feb 15, 2009