Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
2.64/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I feel like we should be on an island to review this beer. If we had the time and money, we would drink and review these beers in exotic locations… but work stands in the way of that. That doesn't mean I won't pretend I am on a deserted island while drinking my Red Stripe.

We were going to review this beer last night, but we got so excited about the Woot Stout we ended up passing on this. Actually, I fell asleep… there, I said it. We decided, since this is a light beer and has a low ABV, we would review this beer before leaving for the day. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Cheers!

In the Glass: I am impressed with the head on this. I don't have very big expectations for this beer. I have had it before, but never more than at a party or when the her didn't have anything else worth ordering. I would never buy this without a reason to. It's fun to learn about the beer, though. Too bad we aren't in Jamaica drinking this. By the way, the head is already gone. There is a thin white layer of bubbles on the top of the beer, but nothing to write home about.

Nose: It smells like an American adjunct lager should. It has a nice dry almost bitter aroma to it, though. This is a beer that will taste better cold. Ice cold. The colder the better on this and any other adjunct lager you have ever had. I bet it would be a good beer to serve with BBQ or hamburgers.

Flavor: There is more flavor here than I remember. The mouthfeel is great, too. The flavor reminds me, at first, of a Rolling Rock. It has a hint of funk in there that is on purpose, but might throw some people off. This is a great beer to drink if you are thirsty and/or sitting outside by the pool or on the beach. Makes sense this beer comes from Jamaica!

Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part of the beer. It has a nice mellow and balanced mouthfeel that finishes smooth with a subtle sweetness. This isn't a beer I am going to pour after a long day of work, but one I could sit and drink 6 of at happy hour after work. Speaking of happy hour, met Jesus last night for happy hour at a place in Chandler. They had $2.50 Corona. Oh, and $3 Fireball shots!

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. The burp is pretty boring, too. The Alström bros on BeerAdvocate rated this 78, which is "okay" according to their rating system. I would have to agree with them. It's just OK. I would and will order it again, if the price is right or if I am on a beach somewhere!

4.26/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The appearance of Red Stripe was of a normal lager. Hard to tell the color due to the brown and unique bottle that it came in.

Smell: I was able to smell the hops within this brew. I thought it was a pleasant smell.

Taste- I really like the taste of this beer. It was smooth and I was able to taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel- The texture of the beer is very smooth.

Overall- I thought this was a good beer overall and I would drink it again.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.38/5  rDev +13.8%

Red Stripe is a mild pilsner with a mild flavor and a slight hop bitterness. Don't look for robust flavor. What you find is a crisp refreshing light ale that is great for the hot but breezy sun of Jamaica. Light on the palate and very drinkable.

Red Stripe is a beer that is best drank within it's environment just like Balashi from Aruba is. Reminds me of a less skunky Heineken. The pickin' is slim in Jamaica so this is my top beer choice.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager. Bottle states that for 75 years the spirit, rhythm and pulse of Jamaica has been embodied in this beer... lets see.

A- Pours a very clean light straw yellow liquid that sends a nicly active thick white head in to action. This head then falls leaving a foamy ring around the glass and slight lace retention.

S- I smell sweet corn malts, sugar and maybe even a little hop stank. Kind of a dull overall scent.

T- At first is the very sugery sweet corn and malts followed by a murky thick grain flavor that is overpowering to the finish. Very light notes of yeasty properties at end of taste.

M-D- Mouthfeel is almost an artifical smooth feeling on my tongue tricking it to allow the beer to go down, almost to thick feel.
I will give this one a plus on drinkablity, it contains nothing that would stop a party beer from happening... its from Jamaica mon!

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

4.75/5  rDev +59.9%

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

3.6/5  rDev +21.2%

12 onz brown bottle No freshness date .

The appearance is golden color with nice (did'nt expect) white head.It smells like something mustard not bad. A really nice taste hop and some bitterness but very low. It can dry your mouth.One is good the other one maybe other day.

2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

A- The beer has a good golden color with a foamy white head.

S- The smell of a pretty yeasty sweet adjunct beer.

T-The Taste isn't too bad for what it is. It has a more European taste then the typical sweet cervezas and American pilsners.

M-The beer is very carbonated, which makes it more refreshing.

D-Very light and drinkable. This beer sits well and is definitely something you could crack open at someone's party and not be in pain like drinking a Coors.

Beer is beer, and when you're sitting around with your buddies and they toss you a Red Stripe, you got to take it for what it is and just enjoy life.

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%