2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,174 | Reviews: 869 | Show All Ratings:
Guardian

I love this beer.

Had it for the first time on my honeymoon last year to Jamaica and this stuff is EVERYWHERE there. 6 AM we arrive and our driver stops on the way to the resort to buy us a Red Stripe...not kidding.

This is a macro, but a really good one. It smells skunky, but for some reason I really enjoy the smell of it. This is infinitely better than Bud or Miller.

Taste is very light and it is highly drinkable. Tastes a bit of rice and corn.

Hooray Beer!

No problem, mon.

08-14-2007 18:07:09 | More by Guardian
SoCaliC8

4.78/5  rDev +59.9%

I absolutely LOVE this beer - it is damn near one of my favorites. It is very smooth, full of flavor and once you've had enough of them, makes you wwant to speak with a Jamaican accent.

I think it's uniquie for the fact that it's not available everywhere and I enjoy it everytime I have it.

02-03-2010 17:11:12 | More by SoCaliC8
Insomnicat

A - Pours a light amber with a finger of head. Head disappears quickly

S - Flowery hops. that's about all that I can smell.

T - Not very hoppy, almost no bite at all. I like it a lot. A LOT.

M - a tad bit heavier than water.

D - I drank this one before I knew it. I wish i hadnt just bought one. sad day.

07-22-2010 01:18:54 | More by Insomnicat
LooksCouldKiilll

4.72/5  rDev +57.9%

Bought at ODB Liquors. Love this beer. This is my new go to when I just want something with dinner or in the afternoon. It's nice and light but doesn't taste like water. It has a nice crisp flavor that compliments any meal.

Take me to Jamaica....

03-09-2009 17:54:51 | More by LooksCouldKiilll
PBRstreetgang

4.7/5  rDev +57.2%

Pours a pale golden color with a short lived bubbly head. Good clarity with almost no lacing. Pale malt nose with hints of esters and champagne. The malt is fruity and sweet, but not residual, and the hop flavor is mild, but balances the taste well. The light body and crisp carbonation leave a clean finish. Excellent choice for a summer session brew. Macros with a pleasent flavor are hard to find, this one manages to also be light and drinkable.

07-01-2005 04:56:28 | More by PBRstreetgang
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +51.5%

overall a good beer. In a brown bottle which is good, bad that it is only 11.2 oz instead of traditional 12 oz bottle. The taste of hops is indescribable but makes you want more. Drinkability is only average after 3 drinkablity weakens so dramatically.

07-17-2010 22:56:16 | More by yuenglingfan101
lordbrad1

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

I've never met anyone that didn't like this beer...until I read the reviews here.

It's a little thin, and a bit pale. However I think the taste and the fact that it goes down easy more than make up for that. Red Stripe has an almost fruity taste, and sweetness to it, which I think make it very very drinkable. I love the stuff, and highly recommend it for anyone looking for something a little different that won't break the bank.

12-23-2005 00:05:52 | More by lordbrad1
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.26/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The appearance of Red Stripe was of a normal lager. Hard to tell the color due to the brown and unique bottle that it came in.

Smell: I was able to smell the hops within this brew. I thought it was a pleasant smell.

Taste- I really like the taste of this beer. It was smooth and I was able to taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel- The texture of the beer is very smooth.

Overall- I thought this was a good beer overall and I would drink it again.

02-23-2013 22:23:24 | More by RyanLaCount03
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +41.1%

Appearance - Golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head. The head fades away extremely fast leaving no trace that it was there at all.

Smell - The scent is strong with malt. The thought of wide-open fields of grain comes to my imagination with each whiff.

Taste - Mild malt in the beginning moving to a firm and more robust malt flavor in the middle. The finish is soft and light with a hint of hops. This is a complex flavor and is exactly what I think a lager should taste like.

Mouthfeel - The feel is smooth and soft. The texture is actually relaxing.

~ I've always thought quite a bit of this line lager. Now with my newly discovered love for evaluating the characteristics of beer I'm able to express my liking of this brew for all to see.

03-02-2008 21:53:28 | More by cdkrenz
jasonjlewis

4.2/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I try to keep my reviews simple. This beer has a nice smell nice everything, nothing specific i want to point out in this review except the complexity of the beer. All of my taste buds were involved. I tasted sweetness then hop bitterness. I love a beer that gives me a lot of flavors to work with. No flavor was really strong and left me wanting just a tiny bit more is the only bad thing i can say about it.

06-08-2006 04:52:52 | More by jasonjlewis
bsdrums

4.18/5  rDev +39.8%

Opened and enjoyed from the bottle. I usually would not drink a beer straight from the bottle, but I have had experience with this beer before and it is best right out of the bottle. Pour it in a glass and you have to race to finish it bofore it opens up too much.

A: In the bottle, like a hand grenade, it's fun. Brown bottle cold on a hot day. Nice.

S: A little sweet, crisp with almost a malt hint, only noticeable as a almost earthy sweetness.(try it on a hot day after some heavy manual labor)

T: Just like the smell but the taste is just more intense. The malt comes through with some sweetness and then the hops bite back just enough to let you enjoy this very well balanced(term used too much) beer.

M: The malt leaves a sweetness and fullness in the mouth wile the hops fade back. Makes it easy to drink, and hard to believe f how deep you are in to your 12 pack.

Overall: Great beer for the heat, with friends for a night of session drinking.

DO NOT BUY THIS BEER IN CANS. It's brewed in Canada, which is not too bad by it's self, but it doesn't taste the same. In fact I think it tastes bad. Bottles come from Jamaica (good beer), cans come from Canada[(no pun intended)bad beer].

07-11-2011 22:09:42 | More by bsdrums
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +38.8%

A: Clear yellow, similar to apple juice. Pours with a small, white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Predominantly earthy hops. Slightly sweet, caramel odour.

T: Very unoffensive (not a lot of flavour). A clean hop flavour, sweetness is nicely balanced by the hop bitterness. Diacetyl is apparant.

M: Light body is fairly highly carbonated. Clean, palate-cleansing, refreshing.

D: Awesome, serious session beer. I once stayed at a resort in Jamaica that had this on tap, self-serve, 24/7!

Great summer thirst quencher, good pizza beer.

02-02-2006 23:56:20 | More by Derek
kdawg105

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +38.8%

I really like this lager. It has a really light yellow color and lightly carbonated. The smell took me by suprise it smells of corn with a nice hint of hops. Its taste is good leaving a hint of hops in the mouth. The mouthfeel is nice kinda holds on the top of mouth. Drinkability is nice it goes down smooth and finishes clean!

02-06-2010 23:56:53 | More by kdawg105
Natainos

4.15/5  rDev +38.8%

A: Nice light, pours lively, bubbly at first with a good head that stays for a few minutes, surprisingly long for a lager. It's very pale and strawlike in color; and common on the bottle is sweet!!! Stubby!

S: Nice floral wood, corn & Hop smell

T: Get a hoppy dark musky undertone (good not bad) while sweet, There's a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste, but it's very light and short lived. It's more complex in taste than your average Budweiser or Macros.

M: The palate is very light, and a little bubbly.

D: An excellent thirst quencher, and refresher in hot weather.

08-24-2010 01:43:43 | More by Natainos
AussieInPhilly

4.1/5  rDev +37.1%

This beer is tops. The crisp, yet smooth taste leaves mouths wanting more, yet the potency lets you enjoy "beer". C'mon guys, this beer is one of the best. Down to the bottle, its smooth, yet tasteful. Enjoyable, yet manly. This beer has weekend written all over it, and if you don't agree, well then, have a miller high life!!

10-13-2005 08:35:11 | More by AussieInPhilly
Scribbles

4.1/5  rDev +37.1%

Appearance: is good especially when poured correctly, but I recomend straigh from the bottle on this one jus as easily.

Smell: The smell is sweet with floral hops, quite inviting.

Taste: much like the smell, sweet floral/fruity, decent taste, a bit of unroasted malt in there.

Mouthfeel: clean and refershinging, good to quench a thirst, with just enough carbonation and hops to help in finish quite well.

Drinkabiliy: By far one of the most drinkable ones I've come across in a while, cold easily pollish off any number of these.

I would say that it is probably the best I've had among what are classified a American macros.

-edit- Since my original review in 2007 I've tried this beer several more times, and recently it seems that the quality has reduced slightly, its not as appealing to me as it had been when i first tried it; Nov 9, 2010

10-18-2007 04:30:11 | More by Scribbles
TuffLuff

4.08/5  rDev +36.5%

If you look down on this beer you have probably never lived in an oppressively hot/humid climate. You have almost certainly never spent much time in Jamaica.

Is this beer incredibly complex and flavorful? Nope. Is it absoultely delicious and refreshing? Hell yes. I'm not saying every beer should be like this, but there really needs to be at least one beer like this and if there was just going to be one I would choose Red Stripe. I give this a 4.5 because I'm open to the possibility that there's a better adjunct lager out there, but I haven't found it.

A bit pricey for what it is, and yet there is nothing else quite like it. Should you ever be lucky enough to find yourself sitting at a thatched-roof bar watching the clear blue waves lap at a white sand beach in Jamaica, you will fervently hope that the bartender isn't too stoned to keep the cold Red Stripe coming. And if you fly home to Texas in August you'll find it works just as well here. It's the best in it's category, and that is a massive accomplishment for any brewer. Hooray Red Stripe!

04-10-2011 00:00:14 | More by TuffLuff
Kwak

4.03/5  rDev +34.8%

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager
Head : Nice and bubley not to thick.
Body : A pale amber yellow crisp and clear.
Taste :Mild hops light flavor not to thick.
Aftertaste: Almost not their. Goes down like water.
Not bad nothing special I like the bottle !

11-18-2002 21:26:06 | More by Kwak
Grundle20

4.03/5  rDev +34.8%

Appearance:
The beer is clear and golden in color. There's is a good 2 finger head to the beer that stays up for about 20 seconds before being reduced to a film of foam. There's little lacing to note.

Smell:
The scent is relatively clean. There's minor sweetness from the malts but the beer's scent isn't very powerful or exciting.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
As far as macro lager goes this is pretty damn tasty. The beer is basically assembled on a solid backbone of malt sweetness. There's just a touch of what I'm guessing is some hallertauer hops. Light carbonation makes for a rather smooth drink. The finish keeps hints of the sweetness pretty well in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
All flavor aside, macro lager is easily one of the most drinkable beers in the USA and this beer is no exception. This beer on the other hand though isn't quite as bland or light as many other macro lagers and scores a slam dunk on drinkability with that said.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking at this as a world class lager then you will not be impressed but, if you're looking for a quality macro lager though then this beer is in the upper tier. Really not that bad at all.

06-07-2007 22:24:54 | More by Grundle20
bewareOFpenguin

Was first put off by the squat brown bottle with the "non" flashy label. First taste of this lager and I was hooked. I believe this is the first "true" summer beer. Light gold, with a slight taste of hops it tastes like summer with each gulp.

10-10-2002 09:40:59 | More by bewareOFpenguin
thekevlarkid

Maryland

Straw yellow color up to light (wet, golden straw out of it). Nice aroma of lager hops, butter and some spices. Decent white head that dissolves into a thin ring that leaves some broken lacing. Not much retention. Medium/high carbonation as one would expect from a Macro and equally a light mouthfeel. Flavors of subtle spice, some butter and slightly sweet grains with a lingering aftertaste. Pretty damn good for a Macro. A little sweet for a lager but still recommended.

08-20-2008 15:09:21 | More by thekevlarkid
fingerlaker

I was suprised at this brew when I had it for the first time last night. Judging from the commercials I was expecting just another Corona or the like, but this is different- it has a medium body, a moderate sweetness with wee bits of carmel/toffee notes. On the tail end one gets the hop bittering, which isn't at IPA-levels but is still there. The smell isn't fantastic but one can still smell the sweetness of this brew.

It's not special, but it's not terrible. It's better than the other "hot weather" lagers but isn't so complex that I have to really sit down and dedicate all of my mental resources to dissect it. I could see myself kicking back a few of these on a 100-degree day.

Judging PURELY by the way you're supposed to, by judging it against the style it is, the final verdict is that it is one of the best for that style.

THE ULTIMATE TEST:
Will I buy this again? Yes.

01-12-2009 17:25:31 | More by fingerlaker
stewart124

Pale yellow color with lots of carbonation and little to no head.

Smells of grain, straw and just a hint of...dare I say, pineapple.

Spritzy, clean taste with a grainy note and some lemon. There is a slight zest of spicy/floral hops. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium this is loaded with carbonation.

This is a tasty american adjunct lager and more interesting than the average. This is a must try at the beach and makes me look forward to the warmer days ahead.

03-16-2010 00:38:08 | More by stewart124
seanlanefuller

Tennessee

I really like the bottle for some reason. Maybe just because it is different. It is only 11.2 ounces though.

Note the beer is Jamaican Style. On the bottle it says that it is brewed and bottled in Pennsylvania.

The beer smells nice and light with bread and a bit of citrus.

The taste is like a sourdough bread, lemon, and lime.

It has a thickness and bubbly sting as it goes down.

Overall it is an outstanding light lager.

I have been unable to find out what Jamaican Style means. I think it is a bit like the "rich Corinthian leather" term.

12-09-2013 02:27:45 | More by seanlanefuller
Eddie_Padilla

3.99/5  rDev +33.4%

I'm no beer expert, I can't describe all the fancy Stuff, but to my taste this is some great stuff & goes down great In South Texas weather with lime. I'd recommend it to friends & family. I wish they carried this in more places other than grocery stores where I live.

06-19-2013 02:41:13 | More by Eddie_Padilla