Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 921 | Hads: 2,912
3.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: didn't really look at it to be honest, drank out of the tinted bottle and a little out of an opaque glass. It might be yellowish.

S: so bready with simple pinelike skunky hops, I like it, because I could session a lot of these.

T: skunky funky monkey yo, bready bready good to go. Not offensive, goes down well.

M: drinkable with sweetness lingering after

O: a legit lager that I will have again. Too expensive though. 3.5/5. (434 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +20.9%

I like red stripe tastes good but here is the thing about this beer in most places it is waaaayyyy over priced I just went to the store down here in florida and a 6 pack of this beer was 8.99 you have to be out of your mind a 6 pack of red stripe should be no more than 5.99 look this stuff tastes pretty good but the abv is too low to even consider buying for 9 dollars a 6 pack don't get me wrong you know that you don't see me buying this stuff are you kidding me I buy cheap high abv beer but when I had a better job I would buy this stuff a couple of times a year you know why not (586 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -5.6%

Had in St Martin, this was slightly better than the other macros, but not by much. A huge adjunct macro flavor, skunky mess like, but some malt flavors, pilsner and toasted malts, a little grassy hop bitterness, a bit less thin than the others as well. An OK beer to pound many of, but not very enjoyable, as I remember from college. (333 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Finally getting around to this strange popular brew. Doing it live.

A- Pours from the oddly shaped 22oz bottle into a few pint glasses with a crystal clear bronze yellow body. A foamy head rises beyond three fingers with decent retention eventually dying out completely. Lacing seemed possible but not much stays around.

S- Faint as the style should be with a light grainy sweetness, pale fruit like apple or white grape and a tiny hint of spice and corn.

T- Lightly toasted barley bringing on a moderate sweetness, hints of corn, apple/pear/white grape faint esters, a hint of bread and graininess.

MF- I can't fault a beer for being creamy and having texture but probably one of the foamy and frothier light lagers I can think of. Medium-high carbonation.

Comparing it to the rest of the style, or at least the big brands, it is not half bad. When consumed at the correct temperature it displays a grainy barley and pale fruit character neither of which are all that strong. Decent for a style that few on here prefer. (1,026 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottled. Never seen or tasted a fresh one. They are always god knows how old when you drink them. Maybe its because during a college spring break trip one year I was forced to chug hot ones on the beach in Jamaica or that they literally were $0.10 each, I just cannot stand this beer. It is weak and not playable. I can find no redeeming qualities to it. (359 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle in pilsner glass.

Appearance: 1" sudsy white head drops quickly with some nice lacing. Color is clear pale straw with abundant streaming carbonation.

Aroma: corn sweetness and lightly toasted barley.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a pleasant dry finish.

Flavor: pleasant combination of barley sweetness with some corn and a mild hop in the finish.

Overall: easy drinking and enjoyable. (416 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Light Wheat Gold clear beer that has a nice head for a beer that is not very carbonated.

S: Citrus or coriander smells. Has a floral aroma with slight hints of butter.

T: Taste has slight overtones of Citrus which might be lemons and ends with malty flavors.

M: Light mouthfeel that is very smooth and goes down very easily with a low amount of carbonation. Stays with you for a little.

O: Overall a nice light beer with a very pretty presentation and good malt flavors, but doesn't have enough flavors to make a huge name for itself. (542 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Spritzy brilliant gold under a 1” white foam collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: Light grain and traces of apple but not a lot of aroma
T: Light grains, some light apple, some bitterness on the finish but the hops have a little bit of an acrid, almost dirty quality – not skunk but not altogether pleasant.
F: Light, slightly above average carbonation with a little carbonic acid bite on the finish.
O: A pretty beer with bad hops. (450 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Quick review. Looks boring, smells & tastes corny (literally). The mouthfeel is pleasantly sneakily malty, but that might be the only redeeming quality this beer offers (for me anyway). (187 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Lighter than straw, very thin and very clear in appearance. Head is delicate and wispy, going down in a hurry but forming a decent film. Smells of grain, adjunct, maybe esters. Taste and aftertaste are both strong of honey, indicating heavy use of corn in the bill. Touch of lemon. Slightly bitter, almost rindy up front, more bready on the finish. Medium to high level of carbonation. Not as thin as you might expect but still light-bodied. Crisp and refreshing, not the cleanest finish though. (495 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

More of a beer marketed for fun and the beach. Taste is just a step above like a Coors. Pretty run of the mill. They taste a bit fresher closer to the Carribean. I have seen this beer on sale for less than a Bud/Coors. I would go for it if you have never had it, comes in a short bottle makes it seem like you drink them faster. (328 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My first beer ever (might have given it more than it deserved). I had it in Jamaica when I was 18. Looking back Red Stripe began my search for the world's best beers. (166 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +62.1%

Look I gave a 5 excelellent clarity and beautiful light amber color very close to being a light goldned color.smell wasn't as corny as say bush, I whiffed very light corn aroma. but there;s something in the beer giving it a very slight taste I can't put my fingeron
it lomao maybe it is for maldihyde!!! Joking!, which is one of the reason I like this beer!I give the feeL 5 because I like carbanation! and overall a 5 because It is a primo beer for it's class of cerveza! I have already bought it agin and it sets very well om your head the next day! (553 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 330 mL Bottle

A- Pours a fizzy golden liquid topped by a thin white head. Typical adjunct appearance.

S- Faint aroma but what I can gather is corn and bready malt.

T- Here's where Red Stripe differs slightly from other adjuncts. Present is the corn and malt of typical adjuncts but with a slight peppery tinge. It's not spicy at all, it more or less just adds to the refreshing characterisitcs.

M- Light without being watery and the right amount of fizzy carbonation. Refreshing like a good Caribbean brew should be.

O- I was skeptical about purchasing Red Stripe because the price was a bit higher than most adjuncts and I know had badly adjuncts can go. Thankfully, I was treated with an excellent brew (for the style) that will make an excellent addition to my summer rotation! (803 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%

Good solid beer this. Looks clean, with a nice white head but I find it has no real aroma though. I always find this has a kind of slight peppery taste to it which is not unpleasant and gives it a unique flavour compared to other supermarket bought beers .
A very nice refreshing beer. (285 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nice beer that is made by D & where they have a monopoly on beer being made in Jamaica. I drank a lot of these in my 3 trips to Negril over 20 years ago (153 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Red Stripe is pretty meh.. It's nothing amazing and there are a thousand beers just like it. The bottle is a cool novelty but the logo isn't printed on anymore. Now it's a sticker. (180 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When it's hot this beer is great if it is ice cold. It's the true beer drinkers coors light. Coors light folks think damn red stripe is heavy. For the extra bitter India pale fruit basket malted crunch toffee lager drinker...this is a light beer. (246 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, full disclosure. I purchased this in anticipation of my trip to Jamaica next week. I couldn't remember the last time I had a Red Stripe, but it's been years. It's what you would expect. A little skunky and flavorless, but refreshing. It will be just fine for consumption poolside in Jamaica, but that will probably be the last time I drink one until my next trip to that island nation. Ya mon. (404 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, pale, yellow color with less than one-finger white head that dissipated quickly until only a ring of small bubbles remained, almost no lacing, slightly less than medium carbonation.

SMELL: corn, grass, syrup and a little skunky, very faint on the nose.

TASTE: initially sweet, some corn and grass and then a mild skunky hop profile, a little watery.

PALATE: light body with less than average carbonation for the style.

OVERALL: this would satisfy me on a hot day after mowing the lawn, it's not offensive but I would never seek this out, there are better, less expensive options available. (723 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Poor 1 finger head lasting around a minute. Weak legs with some high activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, herbal spices, fruity orange/banana feel, and slightly skunky. Well balanced between sweet and sour.

Light body with medium carbonation. Short and faint smoky finish ending on the bitter side with a little dryness.

Overall : One step better than the average macro beer but still a little stale and watery. (446 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +1%

Had a couple of these with dinner tonight. Poured out of the short little brown bottles and into a standard pint glass. Color is very pale, yellowy and pretty much perfectly transparent. A decent number of little bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Pouring a little quickly produces a big foamy head that shrinks away into a little coating on top after a little while; seems to shrink quicker on a slower pour. Actually leaves a good bit of a lacy trail behind on the sides of the glass as you drink it.

Got a good whiff of "standard beer smell" upon opening and pouring the first bottle, not as much with the second. Once in the glass the smell is pretty faint. What is there isn't anything special; it's a smell that might be a little funky if it was stronger, but as is it's barely noticeable.

Taste, like color and smell, is pretty light. What is there isn't bad at all--a light grain/bread sort of flavor is what I'm picking up the most, and bready lagers are fine by me--it could just use a bit more "oomph." Interestingly, this beer seemed to go VERY nicely with food; I drank about half of my first one (and some of my second one) while eating some pasta with a garlic butter sauce and a little bit of paprika, and the beer seemed to become more flavorful when accompanied by food than it was on its own--as soon as I'd had a bite of food, I started picking up a bit of an almost fruity sort of flavor when I had another drink. A bite of food makes your beer taste better and a drink of beer makes your food taste better... always a good thing.

Feel is... well, it's pretty fizzy and light. Very easy to drink quite a bit of it quickly. Maybe a little *too* fizzy at times, it's not quite soda-like but it's not that far off either.

Overall, I'm surprisingly impressed by this one. It's light, but what is there is far from bad; certainly a few steps up from a glass of plain, flavorless, alcohol-free water. This is definitely a "mealtime beer" rather than a "have one beer at the end of the day" beer. If you feel like having two or three lighter beers with some good food rather than one strong, flavorful beer as a meal unto itself, Red Stripe fills that role nicely... and I can definitely imagine this being a good beer to have around when the weather's a bit warmer and you're chowing down on some sweet and spicy Caribbean-style food. I may have to revisit this one when it warms up a bit, and I'll definitely have to remember to make sure to have a few "at the source" if I ever end up visiting Jamaica at some point. (2,567 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Medium shade of straw color in the body which rests under a thick white fluffy head. Great clarity and ample visible carbonation. The head fades after a few minutes leaving very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Classic lager aroma, a bit tangy smelling with small notes of spice and lemon. Overall it is an average smelling adjunct lager.

Taste: A tad bit grassy with a hint of Cheerio cereal flavor in the aftertaste. A light bite of bitterness. Just a hint of alcohol flavor after drinking it for a while.

Mouthfeel: Good crisp mouthfeel with just enough bitterness at the end.

Overall: It feels like a run-of-the-mill adjunct lager without any exceptional flavors. (685 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Its definitely a taste I had to get used to. It's different, I get this because its Carribean and still has Carribean hit. Its just not my go to with options (158 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

During a beer drinking tour at a local bar I discovered this little gem. Better taste and smoother than other similar beers. It defiantly surprised me. (152 characters)

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited