2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

rAvg: 3

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,178 | Reviews: 869 | Show All Ratings:
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

2.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle I brought back from a recent trip to Jamaica.

Appearance: It has a nice pale straw-yellow color to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of grainy malts, corn and a light grassiness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some grainy malts, corn, light grass and some skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a light and watery overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavors and aromas.

04-14-2014 20:29:16 | More by SebD
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

3.11/5  rDev +3.7%

Red Stripe...Jamaican for beer! This beer pours light, with mild carbonation, and produces a medium, frothy head. It has a malty taste, with metal aftertaste, and you can feel the carbonation as you drink it (which is on in my opinion). It is decent tasting, filling, but does not cause much bloating.

04-10-2014 03:23:23 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.61/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Red Stripe was on the special price today so I thought I would give it another try.

In comparison to most American/Mexican macro beers, this isn't have half bad. It certainly is a step up from PBR and a giant step up from Bud and like. Still not outstanding but wasn't expecting that really.

Clear gold liquid with a white head. Slight bready aroma.

Flavor is better than expected. Best on the first sip, going less well on the aftertaste. It starts off fairly balanced and crisp but then goes too sweet in the end. More hops than is average per style. A good amount of crisp grain notes.

Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, it ain't half bad. Definitely a good session beer, especially if it is on sale.

03-27-2014 20:18:51 | More by jmbranum
Act25

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Red Stripe is as good a mass lager as any, if over priced.
Lager is lager is lager.

A: As planned, golden straw body, with better retention and lacing than expected.

S: Grassy, lemony, grain, straight forward.

T: Watery, mild grain flavor with sweet corn base. Some hops add a bit of grass and spice. Nice finish, starts sweet, ends tingly.

M: Light w high level of carbonation.

D: As good as ... but over priced. What is it that people are choosing when they choose Red Stripe, a life style, the branding?

02-23-2014 01:16:46 | More by Act25
watermelon

3.6/5  rDev +20%

330ml bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A: typical looking AAL

S: Mostly corn and some fruit smells

T: taste is still corn heavy with some fruity flavors. Slight skunking which I don't mind.

M: Light and fizzy. Goes down easy.

O: Better then most AALs but also significantly more expensive. Its a 4 because I'm rating to style. When I think intoxicants from Jamaica beer isn't the first substance to cross my mind, Red strip reaffirms this.

02-21-2014 11:02:07 | More by watermelon
DeFaz

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I had this in Jamaica (where you're generally stuck choosing between this, Heineken, or sometimes Guinness Foreign). It's pours a typical straw color with an unimpressive head. The bottle design is sleek. The smell is of corn and grain, and the taste follows, with a lot of grain and some straw in there. The beer is light, and almost as light as a light beer. The bottom line though is that this is just barely decent and isn't offensive at all. It's a mild beer intended for sunny days and spicy food, both of which Jamaica has plenty of.

02-21-2014 04:32:10 | More by DeFaz
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I consumed a fair number of these in grad school and return now after a long hiatus, had a good old stubby bottle with a fried chicken dinner. I still dig the bottles a lot. A light gold color, a hair darker than many other AALs, with ample white foam and an aroma full of doughy sweet lager malt, a tangy fruitiness, and grassy mystery hops. An old colleague used to describe this beer as tasting like "lawn clippings" and I must say I don't entirely agree. I was surprised by the rather moderate carbonation (for the style, relatively speaking ... Its still fizzy!) and fairly smooth mouthfeel. Does not sear the tongue with scrubbing bubbles. Rather sweet, with the aforementioned doughy malt, fruity hard candy notes, sweet clover hay (I dunno, fairly fragrant but not quite bright green grass as per my colleague's review), subdued nondescript citrus rind, and a fizzy lingering "bite", put in quotes to emphasize that this brew is tangy but not exactly biting per se. I remember this as less sweet in the past ... The finish is on the crisp and dry side of course but the sugars do linger. Not too bad as a summer guzzler but of course typically fetches import prices.

02-19-2014 05:04:09 | More by CalgaryFMC
MarkoNm

Slovenia

3.66/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a typical lager should - golden, clear color and a couple of fingers of white head with a medium retention.
The aroma is moderate with just some notes of malts and grains filling your nose.
The taste follows the nose. Sweet beginning followed by a nicely balancec body, ending with a pleasant hoppy bitterness.
Drinkable, enjoyable, smooth. Extra great when chilled.

02-14-2014 20:26:22 | More by MarkoNm
brewskifan55

Mississippi

3.23/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass

A: Clear, golden with a white half finger head that settled to lots of bubbles. Very foamy on the open; much froth sliding down the bottle's mouth. An army of bubbles drifts up from the bottom of the glass. Sheety lacing.

S: Grainy corn pops through. Cherries and malts follow.

T: Malty, grainy, smooth, semi-sweet. Lager-ish. Sessionable.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Haven't had one of these Jamaican treats in a while. Not bad at all. Very drinkable.

01-08-2014 15:31:12 | More by brewskifan55
jjpadd

South Carolina

3.78/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to admit that I have a sentimental attachment to this beer. I was married in Jamaica and the Red Stripe flowed like water! I find it to not be my favorite beer, but occasionally I get some to enjoy (especially if it's on sale). I just got a case the other day and wanted to review it. I enjoy the appearance, the iconic bottle makes it fun, but it presents well in a glass also. The head is rich, and it has a bright crisp first taste. It tends to linger on the tongue just a second too long, but it just brings back warm memories. Its not a beer I'd want to slam back after mowing the lawn, but I do enjoy it with some spicy foods or a nice fish taco.

12-29-2013 01:37:23 | More by jjpadd
seanlanefuller

Tennessee

I really like the bottle for some reason. Maybe just because it is different. It is only 11.2 ounces though.

Note the beer is Jamaican Style. On the bottle it says that it is brewed and bottled in Pennsylvania.

The beer smells nice and light with bread and a bit of citrus.

The taste is like a sourdough bread, lemon, and lime.

It has a thickness and bubbly sting as it goes down.

Overall it is an outstanding light lager.

I have been unable to find out what Jamaican Style means. I think it is a bit like the "rich Corinthian leather" term.

12-09-2013 02:27:45 | More by seanlanefuller
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle from Candia road.
Pours a crystal clear light golden color with a decent sized bubbly white head and an almost never ending stream of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Smells of light sweet malt, a hint of dms and little else. The flavor is sweet with a hint of cooked corn. Very light spicy hop flavor and bitterness. Medium to light body with a spirited level of carbonation and a slick watery mouthfeel. Nothing offensive but just a typical macro lager with nothing exciting as well.

11-28-2013 00:56:12 | More by johnnnniee
Lorddukus

3.18/5  rDev +6%

Red stripe is an alright beer for a gas station beer. I would not drink it again unless if it were given to me or if I did not have a good choice, possibly one in a build a six to not repeat beers in a cooler without a good selection. So to put it short it is an alright choice at a bad store or a poor choice at a good one.

10-16-2013 18:10:33 | More by Lorddukus
mjurney

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Straw-gold color, clear. Lots of small bubbles rising up. Thin bright white head.

Aroma:
Some sweetness, grainy, grassy, a little spicy hops.

Taste:
Sweet grain, grassy, hay. Very mild hop bitterness towards the end. Finish is crisp, clean and dry. Body is light, crisp, refreshing, dry, fizzy.

Overall:
It's a good beer.

09-22-2013 01:34:29 | More by mjurney
mdfb79

2.86/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From 08/25/13 notes. 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a clear bright yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of grains, wheat, bready malts, earthy notes, light floral and spices. Not bad but not much going on.

t - Tastes follows the nose but is lightly worse as there is a tiny bit of skunkiness to it. Tastes o bready, wheat, grains, biscuit malts, earthy notes, must, spice, skunkiness. Not great.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation. A little think and watery in the body.

o - Overall not a great beer, but better than some BMC products and ok in a pinch at the beach, if you really just want a beer. I feel like half the time I have this it tastes lightly skunky, and half the time it doesn't, so maybe it doesn't hold up well for long, especially in hot temperatures (which is where people drink it). Whatever the case, not something to seek out but ok to have every once in a while.

08-27-2013 16:51:06 | More by mdfb79
db-beer

2.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This used to be my favorite beer - reminded me of visiting Jamaica. I became aware that the beer did not taste right - more skunky than normal - thought it may just be old. After reading the bottle I discovered that this Jamaican beer is now Jamaican style. This stuff sold locally is now brewed & bottled in Latrobe, PA - shame on you Margie. Must be the water....

08-16-2013 18:39:10 | More by db-beer
dacrza1

1.78/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

DATE TASTED: August 9, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: pilsner... OCCASION: continuing a pleasant evening alone ... APPEARANCE: pale golden body with disparate bubbles rising intermittently; two-finger head settles out to a semi-foamy froth that holds stronger than expected... AROMA: a metallic ping flicks the nostrils while corn and syrupy sugars pungently remind me this is a watered-down lager... PALATE: thin, slightly oily; easy drinking, if not for the...TASTE: whoo, haven't had this in a while, and I recall what happens when sentiment is sifted from the senses: sentiment is "this is the fun shore beer that is sold by that cool Jamaican dude in the TV ads"; the senses say "this is a funky hay-worn adjunct that has minimal profile beyond the sweet forty-ounce malts that wrestle the tongue".... OVERALL: Tough to distinguish this lager from any other mass-produced pilsner, save for the cute bottle and Jamaican locale--and even that is untrue, as the label sports Old Latrobe as its brewing and bottling site; as the second beer of the night, a mouth rinser that is little more than a cheap summer uplift...

08-10-2013 00:46:29 | More by dacrza1
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Been many years since I drank one of these, probably back in the early 2000's. Pours a very clear yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipates to barely nothing fast. Above average carbonation. Not a real pleasant aroma actually, just some grain but on the 'skunky' side. The taste is a little better than the smell but a tad sweet. Maybe this is the reason while I don't have one but every 10 years. LOL! The coolest thing about this beer is the bottle with the 11.2 ounces that stands out. Very average beer and see ya again in another 10 years

07-26-2013 21:07:15 | More by BeerWithMike
BottleOfPills

West Virginia

3.21/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Got this the other day from Kroger's, again this is about their going rate for a six pack. $8.
This is one of those beers that when I was young and dumb I thought this was a great cool beer from Jamaica. And indeed I think back then it was, but I can't be sure because I never really paid attention - people just told me the cool little bottle with the white label and red stripe was from Jamaica. Didn't have google when I was in High School.

Well this Jamaican beer is now labeled "Jamaican Style" and brewed and bottled by Red Stripe Beer Company, in Latrobe PA. Interesting.

First I don't know what is meant by Jamaican Style - I'm guessing it has something to do with the 11.2oz as opposed to the normal 12oz bottle that's customary to West Virginia. Hell they could have used the metric equivalent and I wouldn't have known any better and thought I did have 12oz.

Well I poured into a glass and it has a more dark than light amber color to me, similar to Bud Light. The head on mine dissipated quickly, as did my stream of carbonation from the bottom.

Smell doesn't turn me away, but it doesn't offer any hints of anything in particular either. I would call that OK.

TASTE - I had just finished a 2+ hour bicycle ride and sitting on the porch in the 90 degree heat on a Saturday, I must say that this cold beer tasted pretty damned good. Very carbonated, thus ideal for a cold beer. Crisp. Not hoppy, not malty. Slight citrus tast. Crisp and refreshing. I'm thinking I should have bought a second six pack. Maybe this is what's Jamaican about it - tastes good on a hot day. No aftertaste..

Mouthfeel - as always a crisp beer gets a good mouthfeel rating by me. I don't like the creamy coated feeling of some beers. This has none of that.

Overall I'm going with 3.25... why? I don't know why, I am not overly impressed by this beer. To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed and feel let down from my earlier remembrances of this beer and my anticipation in picking this six pack up to review with my new found beer education. Yet it's a pretty tasty beer for a hot day. I think I would choose this over Bud Light from now on when the situation merits. But it's nothing to write home about.

I think this whole review is a contradiction. Oh well.

07-21-2013 17:48:29 | More by BottleOfPills
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I feel like we should be on an island to review this beer. If we had the time and money, we would drink and review these beers in exotic locations… but work stands in the way of that. That doesn't mean I won't pretend I am on a deserted island while drinking my Red Stripe.

We were going to review this beer last night, but we got so excited about the Woot Stout we ended up passing on this. Actually, I fell asleep… there, I said it. We decided, since this is a light beer and has a low ABV, we would review this beer before leaving for the day. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Cheers!

In the Glass: I am impressed with the head on this. I don't have very big expectations for this beer. I have had it before, but never more than at a party or when the her didn't have anything else worth ordering. I would never buy this without a reason to. It's fun to learn about the beer, though. Too bad we aren't in Jamaica drinking this. By the way, the head is already gone. There is a thin white layer of bubbles on the top of the beer, but nothing to write home about.

Nose: It smells like an American adjunct lager should. It has a nice dry almost bitter aroma to it, though. This is a beer that will taste better cold. Ice cold. The colder the better on this and any other adjunct lager you have ever had. I bet it would be a good beer to serve with BBQ or hamburgers.

Flavor: There is more flavor here than I remember. The mouthfeel is great, too. The flavor reminds me, at first, of a Rolling Rock. It has a hint of funk in there that is on purpose, but might throw some people off. This is a great beer to drink if you are thirsty and/or sitting outside by the pool or on the beach. Makes sense this beer comes from Jamaica!

Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part of the beer. It has a nice mellow and balanced mouthfeel that finishes smooth with a subtle sweetness. This isn't a beer I am going to pour after a long day of work, but one I could sit and drink 6 of at happy hour after work. Speaking of happy hour, met Jesus last night for happy hour at a place in Chandler. They had $2.50 Corona. Oh, and $3 Fireball shots!

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. The burp is pretty boring, too. The Alström bros on BeerAdvocate rated this 78, which is "okay" according to their rating system. I would have to agree with them. It's just OK. I would and will order it again, if the price is right or if I am on a beach somewhere!

07-13-2013 19:13:55 | More by rickyleepotts
Damian

3.96/5  rDev +32%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear golden color and was capped by a near two-finger, tight, foamy, bright white crown that faded to a lasting ringlet. Streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

The nose was exceptionally crisp, fresh and clean. Lots of dry, powdery yeastiness. Husky malts. Slightly sweet. Mild grassy hop notes. Touch of lemon and wheat. Hint of sulfur.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was also remarkably clean and fresh. Husky, grainy malts led things off. Crisp, slightly lemony and tart in the center. A touch wheaty. Decent grassy and floral hop presence. Mild earthy and herbal hop notes appeared in the dry, slightly bitter finish. Some grainy notes came through as well.

Medium bodied for the style. The liquid contained a tight, finely beaded effervescence that differentiated it from the seltzer-like mouthfeel typically found within the style. Decently plush and creamy on the palate.

Crisp and clean, yet flavorful and refreshing, Red Stripe is the best widely available American adjunct lager on the market today. While some beers within the style claim to be pilsners, this beer actually gets respectably close to that distinction.

07-01-2013 14:52:00 | More by Damian
dougbassett

2.89/5  rDev -3.7%

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #28 of the ones I've reviewed here.

I remember years ago reading a crime novel and in one scene a character orders a Red Stripe, calling it "the best beer in the world". Hmhuhwha? I think in the years before the internet and the beer revolution a lot of foreign beers developed odd cult followings in America, partly due to availability and partly due to their association with foreign climes. After all, who doesn't like Jamaica?

Red Stripe follows the general non-American/non-European style of macrolager, which basically spins off of Becks. Think a somewhat sharper, hoppier Becks and you've got Red Stripe. Reviewing it almost does the beer a disservice -- certainly pouring it out does it no benefit (as is true of a lot of beers like this). It pours out a brassy yellow with a head that quickly vanishes. The nose is that kind of malty grain nose typical of a lot of beers like this (though this is a little more pronounced than most). The mouthfeel is crisp and effervescent, which I think suits this kind of beer, and the flavors are basically a sharply hopped grain soup (which I know sounds kind of gross but actually isn't as bad as it sounds). It finishes crisply, which is nice.

Beers like this are meant to be drunk cold, straight out of the bottle, and paired with spicy food or in the heat of the day. On that basis Red Stripe is decent, not my favorite in this style (which is Tsingtao) but not awful. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, though, and outside of a Jamaican restaurant there are better alternatives, I assure you.

06-27-2013 23:06:08 | More by dougbassett
Eddie_Padilla

3.99/5  rDev +33%

I'm no beer expert, I can't describe all the fancy Stuff, but to my taste this is some great stuff & goes down great In South Texas weather with lime. I'd recommend it to friends & family. I wish they carried this in more places other than grocery stores where I live.

06-19-2013 02:41:13 | More by Eddie_Padilla
delta490

2.81/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured a 330ml bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

A- pours a light and clear gold with about one finger of almost creamy white head. The head lingers on but doesn't leave any lacing.

S- some sweet notes of malt or bread. But more or less non-descript

T- Again, some malty sweetness but very little else. No depth and nothing distinct about it.

M- not bad. A nice fuller feeling, not watered down. A nice hint of carbonation

O- not the best but certainly not the worst

05-18-2013 09:52:24 | More by delta490
FLima

Brazil

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Used to drink it a lot, in some particular bars a long time ago. Let’s see how it goes now.
Pale yellow color with a decent head with medium retention.
Aroma of corn and pale malt, and notes of vanilla. I would not say it is pleasant.
Refreshing and crisp taste, strong corn taste and very light floral hops. Buttery aftertaste.
Light body with a good carbonation.
After so many years, I now erased completely the good old impressions over it. It is really an average or even bad brew, you have to drink it freezing cold and ignoring its aroma.

05-11-2013 00:05:26 | More by FLima