2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,174 | Reviews: 869 | Show All Ratings:
Franziskaner

Missouri

2.99/5  rDev 0%

Pale straw gold color with a quarter inch head of white head capping the top. Good clarity. Smells like corn,but more of a Tostitos corn chip aroma than your typical adjunct lager. There's also an element of a well water Danish lager aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. The flavor is a rush of faint buttering hops and Danish lager yeast and is gone as quickly as it appeared. This was made for hot weather and to be served ice cold. No complaints. It is what it was intended to be.

02-05-2014 02:42:48 | More by Franziskaner
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev -2%

The appearance is much like any adjunct but the head had a thicker creamier look. The color was quite pale with a lot of bubbling through it.

The scent is a bit metallic with a corny adjunctness, a small tinge of hops and some light barley tones.

Most adjuncts are devoid of any malted barley flavor and stick to a corn and oat flavor but this gets enough barley that it makes it drinkable. The clean crispness of the flavor makes it an easy beer for the beach or for a hot and humid environment.

Overall, this one of the better adjunct lagers I've had and its certainly easy to drink.

10-12-2013 01:02:46 | More by KYGunner
cervezango

Bolivia

2.3/5  rDev -23.1%

this beer isnt good. it tastes a little hoppy, but really stale and kinda watery, i know people didnt review it that good but i dont even think its positive. pours out really light straw colored looks champaney, super carbonated.

i guess its cool thats jamacan , they should stick to regge and growing weed, cuz thats what there better at, that sounds kindoff rascist, america makes its own far share of bad beer, worse than this perhaps, but this is the only jamacan beer ive ever had, and likely the last, so nice try jamiaca , but this is bad.

05-16-2012 22:39:04 | More by cervezango
anotherbeerguy84

3.38/5  rDev +13%

Served in an ice cold 16oz can. It's your basic, generic, fizzy yellow lager beer. But I will give vredit where credit is due: It's very crisp, clean and refreshing after a long day on the water. I would drink again. It's beer...Hooray Beer!!! I'd drink this before any BMC beers.

09-19-2011 17:21:35 | More by anotherbeerguy84
gabedivision

3.78/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured from a 16oz can to a pint glass.

Pours a straw clear golden yellow with lots and lots of bubbles and a strong 3 finger head that fades its way down the glass. Smells of boiled corn, sweet grains, classic lager funk, old water, a typical AAL. Sweet and grainy on the tongue with a cake batter type flavor, with a slight bitter lemony zest on the finish. Extremely light on the tongue, full of carbonation, very refreshing, not offensive in the least as many AAL's esp on the finish. Overall, i like this stuff alot, not your run of the mill corn/rice beer, nice flavors, easy to drink.

06-04-2011 00:56:29 | More by gabedivision
IronLover

Although I took a personal vow to not waste my time reviewing this style, I was intrigued by the packaging of this beer. This imported Jamaican lager was sampled from a 16oz can that informed me that this Jamaican original was brewed, canned and imported from Canada. Pretty much your standard american adjunct lager. Unless it's free and I'm pretty thirsty, I'll never have this again.

05-11-2011 21:21:35 | More by IronLover
paxkey

2.8/5  rDev -6.4%

another fine Diageo product.

pale straw light urine small thin head bubbles

corn smells like a million other adjunct lager.

drinks sweet and clean with a corn malt aftertaste.

medium dry and decent mouthfeel

the taste makes it a forced intake not recommended.

05-08-2011 23:07:51 | More by paxkey
thehyperduck

3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Red Stripe is one of those beers I have always sort of wanted to try, but not enough to purchase that 6-pack - I have heard from varying sources that it is both great, and overrated. Today I found a tall boy can of it for a few bucks and decided, what the hey.

It pours a pale yellow colour, reminding me of apple juice. A smattering of bubbles filter their way to the top continuously throughout the drink. I was a little generous with the pour resulting in far too much head, but this dissipated to a half-inch within a couple minutes, leaving plenty of lacing behind. For something described as an adjunct lager, I must say it's quite above average in appearance. The smell is very non-descript; a little sweet with maybe some grassiness.

I am inclined to agree with other reviewers that describe the taste as not particularly adventurous or complex, but still refreshing. A little malt at the front, with some corny sweetness, and some hop bite at the end. The carbonation is a little high for my liking, but that isn't really a bad thing because the main reason I say this is that I would like to taste the beer a little more rather than the carbon dioxide. The mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy before the head dissipiates, but after that it is comparable to any adjunct lager.

Keeping in mind I am comparing this beer to others of its style, I am thoroughly impressed. Is it good enough to spend twice as much on a six-pack as your average preferred non-import brand? Probably not. But it's still pretty tasty, and worth a try at least.

05-02-2011 03:36:16 | More by thehyperduck
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

473ml bottle poured into pint glass mar6 2011

A clear straw yellow with plenty of bubbles feeding a short lived thumbs width of head that leaves a few specks of lace

S perhaps some faint grassy hops and some sweet corn

T as it smells, basic but nothing offensive

M good carbonation and fairly light bodied, crisp with little aftertaste

D easy enough too drink just a simple brew, drinks like water, easy to chug

better then I expected, not much too it but nothing bad just pretty basic

03-07-2011 00:35:30 | More by wordemupg
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.63/5  rDev -12%

484ml Can, brewed in the UK by Well's and Young's in Bedford. Best before 20 Oct 2011, drank on 1st feb 2011, poured into a 'Leffe' stemmed, wide tulip glass (twice).

This beer was bought for me by my daughter, she knows I don't drink lager or cans normally, bless her!

Regular lager/pilsner look, golden, bright and a thin white head on top.

Grainy smell, nothing else.

Dry, cardboard dry at first, a hop bitterness follows the initial dryness. Would be refreshing if I was sat on a beach in the sun, however it's dark and cold here and the beer is just a dry hoppy drink which I'm not really enjoying.

Bland and typical lager feel. Glad I've only got to have one can. The bottle I reviewed was a bit better, thank goodness.

02-01-2011 20:01:46 | More by BlackHaddock
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Possibly my favourite lager, Red Stripe was first introduced to me by a friend at a concert, where I had it on-tap, which is slightly better than the canned drink available in shops (oddly enough i've had it in 440ml and 500ml cans) This was the first beer I ever had, and I still laugh when I think back to when I was new to beer and thought Red Stripe was the best beer out of any, hands down!

Like many lagers, it is hard to go into any massive detail, but here's my "lowdown" on the drink.

It is very, very easy to drink alot of, and not too strong either so drinking alot is not much of a problem. The taste is similar to Peroni, although slightly more refreshing and thirst quenching, especially when ice-cold from the fridge.

Perfect on a hot summers day when you want a cheap beverage you don't have to concentrate much on.

01-28-2011 09:26:55 | More by CwrwAmByth
Dster

3.05/5  rDev +2%

Nice easy drinking lager for hot days or hot foods. Slightly sweet.. I swear the pint sized can tastes different than the shorty bottle. It's been a few years since I had one, but had countless ones of these in the past when I used to hang out at the Royal Rack reggae pool hall. So I have fond memories but really it tastes like most massed produced central american lagers.

01-16-2011 02:04:41 | More by Dster
biegaman

1.8/5  rDev -39.8%

Like most people, I think of Jamaica as a sunny place and so it's only appropriate that its beer confirm the image I've cultivated in my head. Its unclouded complexion and bright yellow colour look the part for an island quencher. In a caricature of Caribbean people themselves, its bubbles show a vivacious spirit but its head is carelessly lackadaisical.

The aroma smells like parched, rotted rice paddies drizzled in golden corn syrup with a pinch of solventy, chemical adjunct on the side. It is revolting, to say the least. Nothing in this aroma even closely resembles any natural food product that I know of and, to be perfectly frank - I'm honestly not being sarcastic here - it doesn't even smell safe to consume.

The adjunct of choice appears to be rice although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that corn - or anything else for that matter - was thrown in there too. Fortunately, the resulting flavour is light (although it manages still to be offensive). The can encourages it be served cold but even at this icy temperature that seems to be helping little.

It honestly puzzles me how most people can find beers like this to be refreshing. For my palate, they are even more than distasteful - they are repugnant and assailing with cloying, off-putting flavours. The rice component is so obvious - I doubt this thing is even 50% barley malt - and it leaves a most drying, saturating, abhorrent feel in the mouth.

I had had Red Stripe a number of separate occasions over the years and remember regarding it as being an ordinary, if forgettable beer. Revisiting it now I'd like to go back on anything remotely pleasant or even polite that I ever had to say about it - this is not only emasculated, it's a displeasing, dreadful and downright detestable excuse for a beer.

07-28-2010 01:26:28 | More by biegaman
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev +11.4%

Look - Looks like a lighter lager. Medium-gold color, close to the look of apple juice. Lots of foam, but dissipates pretty quickly. Kind of low on carbonation.

Smell - Smells like a light beer with some spice added. Smells like it will be bitter tasting.

Taste - Much less bitter than the smell indicated! Kind of sweet actually. A little grainy tasting. Not bad for this type of beer, especially the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very watery and smooth.

Drinkability - For the type, it's a worthy beer. Repeat-drinkability is high. It feels light enough in body and abv to allow for you to have a few in a row just fine.

06-27-2010 03:54:03 | More by Nerudamann
woodychandler

3.1/5  rDev +3.7%

I CAN't believe that I have not previously reviewed this from a CAN! I also CAN't believe that it mentions some shite on the CAN about being brewed in Saint John, New Brunswick! They play hockey there, mon! It still sports the D/G logo, though, so Here's to beer (in a CAN)!

For the uninitiated, one of the greatest benefits of the CANQuest is the aural pleasure accompanying the Crrack, Glug, and Fizz as the CAN is opened and poured into a glass. I mention this because this CAN was an excellent example of the phenomenon. I was left with barely a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention on this hot, hazy, humid afternoon. Hey, call me a sissy, but this was a fizzy, golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and I was looking forward to it. The nose was sweet, rich with cereal adjuncts. Hey, if you want the CANQuest to review better beers, send/trade me for some. In the meantime, I am becoming eminently familiar with the style. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with the characteristic lager sweetness offset by adjuncts. Frankly, if you have tried one, you CAN rest easy if there are others you may have missed. Finish was slightly sweet, right for the style. Cold and wet on a hot day. This goes into a lot of coolers, so why not mine? I'd like it better on Hula in the Coola Day because it would evoke memories of days like these.

06-24-2010 20:43:47 | More by woodychandler
BeerSox

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Tallboy can into pint glass.

Thick frothy two finger dense head that takes a while to settle. Rather impressive. The aroma is very light, grainy, breadlike, and a little sweet. The flavor is also slightly sweet, with some very dry lingering grain flavors. Lightly fizzy feel in the mouth.

Really a typical example of the style, but very enjoyable when the temperature rises. If you're at a cookout, why not? Recommended.

06-13-2010 21:18:58 | More by BeerSox
mintjellie

3.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Standard adjunct lager pale gold in colour, Red Stripe pours with lots of retentive and foamy white head that coats the walls of my glass as it recedes. This is about as good as this style of beer can look. I can take half an hour to finish a tallboy and there will still be a a head left when I take that last mouthful.

It's simple and pleasant aroma has grainy, mildly sweet, slightly biscuity malt with light and perfumey floral hops. Lightly flavoured, grainy with noble hops. Mild in the manner typical of the style, but extremely clean and crisp. A little more hop flavour would really put this one over for me. Slightly built with fine carbonation. Feels light and smooth, not watery.

This is good lawnmower beer. This is something I could enjoy knocking back after working in the yard. It's thirst quenching, simple, and clean. It also has little bit more flavour than Bud, Miller, Coors, and much of the like.

06-12-2010 17:36:54 | More by mintjellie
djriggs

Alabama

3.13/5  rDev +4.7%

I got a Red Stripe the other night. They didn't have it in a bottle (can only) I don't normally drink out of but I decided what the heck. I poured it into a tall frosted glass and liked the amount of head that was retained. My first smell was pleasant, not a lot of hops, more of a barley beer. First taste was smooth and went down fine. Crisp and clean. I have a real passion for Lager beers, but this one seems like it's more of a social drinking beer. I mean, it has flavor but makes you really search for them. Being a Chef I can taste pretty well. More hops in the after taste and this would be a much better beer.
My real disappointment is the can, it says brewed and bottled in Canada?
Not Jamaican made?

RED STRIPE! HOORAY CANADA!

06-06-2010 18:18:59 | More by djriggs
eschbach

Arizona

3.3/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never had Red Stripe until today. I was at the liquor store and I saw of 4 pack of 1 pint cans of Red Stripe so I bought them. The can is really boring. It's white and it has Red Stripe written on it.

The beer looks good. It has a full frothy head, and it has a good golden color. the beer smells sweet. I can't smell hops, but it has grassy veggie smell. The taste is decent. I cannot taste hops. I tastes malty with a bitter aftertaste. It feels creamy in my mouth. It's not a heavy lager, so it's fairly easy to drink.

Red Stripe is better than most adjunct-lagers. It tastes more like a German-pilsner than an adjunct-lager. I think this beer would be really good on a hot day. It's refreshing and smooth.

05-20-2010 07:54:00 | More by eschbach
eat

Quebec (Canada)

2.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Stripe pours with a surprising head for a light lager. A copious, rocky bright-white head sits atop the clearest possible body, the colour of watered down apple juice. Retention could be improved but the head actually laces really well. Not a bad looking beer.

Smells mostly of an unspecific astringency with the smallest bit of grain. There's something chemical-y in there too, some old mop bucket or something.

I chose specifically to buy this in a can as the last time I drank this (well over a year ago) the bottle was incredibly skunked. It must have been sitting around forever. It tastes of grain, pale malt, a light honey-like sweetness and there are even some hops on the finish. There is some chemical-something in the flavour as well but it doesn't come off as badly as that from the smell. Some nail polish comes out as it warms. No alcohol present (obviously, at 4.7%). Yeah, I don't know about this one. I'm actually enjoying it less and less as I drink it.

The feel is not good. Light body and medium carbonation. Definitely too watery.

I was expecting worse, given the fact that my last Red Stripe was one of the worst beers I've ever had. I knew it had to have been off. This one doesn't taste off, it's just really not too good. I won't be buying this again, I kind of only bought it to add a notch to my country list... I also hadn't yet reviewed an "American Adjunct Lager". Kind of lame they brew it in Canada. Does this really count as a Jamaican beer, then?

04-11-2010 22:04:14 | More by eat
benclimbs

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

pours clear with not many bubbles, a bit of a head and no lacing - average looking.

smell is soapy off perfumey cheap smelling lager - just some bad yeastyness in there as well - not very impressive.

taste is actually, surprisingly totally ok - some really nice soft, sweet, fresh bready notes in there at the end, goes down very smooth. not very complex, just some good bready light lager goodness mixed in there - pretty drinkable and nice for one of the common ones.

drinkability is average as the smell just really gets in the way.

02-28-2010 23:46:58 | More by benclimbs
backfat

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -0.3%

pours a rusty yellow with a one finger white head. smells of sour yeast, grass, corn, hay, and semi floral. not too pleasant . not a lot of flavors stick out in this one compared to any macro. you don't get that metallic taste which is always nice. light maltiness and lower carbonation than most macros. my girlfriend loves this beer but American lagers, Jamaican or not, are just not my style.

02-19-2010 04:12:10 | More by backfat
cottonkoozie

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

A - Slightly better color than most adjuncts, but the head still still disappears in pretty much no time and theres no lacing.

S - Sweet corn smell and somewhat of a grassy smell.

T - Similar to the smell, lots of corn grains. Slightly skunky. However there is a little bit of hop character and depth to this beer, which makes it slightly above average for an adjuct.

M - Fairly watery, nothing special, nothing offensive.

D - Very drinkable as most adjucts are.

Not bad for a macro adjuct. Not my favorite of those out there either, but better than many. I would drink this if it was cheaper, but I'd rather have a Pabst for about half the price.

Edit... Can vs. bottle

Tried the new cans and noticed some changes.
A - notcied much better head and for the style good retention, even some lacing.

S - similar

T - Similar, but better, this time without the skunk taste and with more malt character instead of as much of a corn taste.

M - slightly fuller

D - Still very drinkable

One of my favorites in the style now. I've always been one to prefer cans, and I think this may be a good example of what the oskar blues brewing company has been trying to tell everyone. The can seemed to do a lot to preserve the freshness of this beer. Planning to visit Jamaica in March, hope to see if the taste varies there, and can't wait to try dragon stout

01-21-2010 03:45:24 | More by cottonkoozie
JohnnyBarman

3.23/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

LCBO had a special for Red Stripe cans, figured it was worth a go. I'm not a pale lager fan in the slightest, but I really need some easy-drinking summer brews, and sometimes, alls I wants is a beer.

Pours a light golden, thin bit of head that didn't last very long. Visible carbonation.

Smells okay - corn, straw, a bit of hops.

Is it exciting? Not really. Is it drinkable? You bet! Actually, I kind of enjoyed it - I was eating some spicy food and it did the trick. Typical pale lager taste, slightly tinny at the finish, but relatively balanced such as it is.

Thin and well-carbonated.

Might be one of my stand-to's for the summer. Not a bad little brew for what it is.

01-18-2010 05:15:01 | More by JohnnyBarman
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

I saw this now comes in a can and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Pours a clear, incredibly light gold color topped by the kind of loose, fizzy, large bubbled, head you'd expect from something that was force carbonated.

The aroma...is 100% pure, adulterate macro lager--grains and corn.

The taste is very light, all grains and corn...nonexistent hop flavor and no real bitterness to speak of. It tastes like a macro. What more is there to say?

As for drinkability, yes. Served cold in the heat of summer (or Jamaica, I imagine) this might do the trick and isn't much better or worse than others of its ilk.

Brewed in Canada by Moosehead.

01-13-2010 01:50:04 | More by MeisterBurger