Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

24oz stubby bottle was something like $3+change from Beverage King in West Lebanon NH. Poured cold into a chilled pint glass.

A moderate pour gives 1" of fizzy white head that settles quickly and leaves just a few straggling bubbles behind. Brew is a clear straw yellow with a ton of fizzy carbonation. Not sure I've ever seen a beer this bubbly before. Smell is actually pretty decent- some roasty aspects to it, almost like a red ale, with some indistinct hops. Taste is maltier than expected, good full mouthfeel from this light colored brew, fairly creamy and smooth, bland lemonish hops. Not nearly as fizzy as it looks. Finishes with mild hops and a bit of soap.

Decent.

BeerNinja007, Jun 28, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

Look - Looks like a lighter lager. Medium-gold color, close to the look of apple juice. Lots of foam, but dissipates pretty quickly. Kind of low on carbonation.

Smell - Smells like a light beer with some spice added. Smells like it will be bitter tasting.

Taste - Much less bitter than the smell indicated! Kind of sweet actually. A little grainy tasting. Not bad for this type of beer, especially the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very watery and smooth.

Drinkability - For the type, it's a worthy beer. Repeat-drinkability is high. It feels light enough in body and abv to allow for you to have a few in a row just fine.

Nerudamann, Jun 27, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a pale clear light gold. Medium sized head dissipates quickly. Light sweet malty smell. Taste is immediately sweet becoming grainy with some herbal notes in the finish. Pretty flavorful for the style. Well carbonated and light bodied. Very drinkable. Nice typical beer. Recommended for summer, cookouts, etc. Hooray beer!

burnstar, Jun 26, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +4%

I CAN't believe that I have not previously reviewed this from a CAN! I also CAN't believe that it mentions some shite on the CAN about being brewed in Saint John, New Brunswick! They play hockey there, mon! It still sports the D/G logo, though, so Here's to beer (in a CAN)!

For the uninitiated, one of the greatest benefits of the CANQuest is the aural pleasure accompanying the Crrack, Glug, and Fizz as the CAN is opened and poured into a glass. I mention this because this CAN was an excellent example of the phenomenon. I was left with barely a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention on this hot, hazy, humid afternoon. Hey, call me a sissy, but this was a fizzy, golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and I was looking forward to it. The nose was sweet, rich with cereal adjuncts. Hey, if you want the CANQuest to review better beers, send/trade me for some. In the meantime, I am becoming eminently familiar with the style. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with the characteristic lager sweetness offset by adjuncts. Frankly, if you have tried one, you CAN rest easy if there are others you may have missed. Finish was slightly sweet, right for the style. Cold and wet on a hot day. This goes into a lot of coolers, so why not mine? I'd like it better on Hula in the Coola Day because it would evoke memories of days like these.

woodychandler, Jun 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +21.8%

A- Straw yellow with a generous white head

S- Sweet malt/grains, grassy hops

T- Sweet! Grainy. Clean and crisp finish

M- Full for a lager, good carbonation and finishes clean

D- Nice lager and quite refreshing on a hot florida day! Really not surprising, but very easy to drink!

aepb1, Jun 24, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a pale medium yellow colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a two finger that disapated slow. Very noticable lacing seen.

Aroma:
Light Hops smell. Sweet with honey/red clover notes and a hint of banana!

Palate:
Nice very subtle sweetness and definantly ale classic pale palate.

Flavour:
Classic Jamaican Lager which will not dissapoint. Undernotes slightly light in tone.... warm feel!

Overall:
Pass, will drink again! This is a good lager Jamaican style! Like this with pizza or barbecue.... prefer it medium cool.

macrent2, Jun 16, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Tallboy can into pint glass.

Thick frothy two finger dense head that takes a while to settle. Rather impressive. The aroma is very light, grainy, breadlike, and a little sweet. The flavor is also slightly sweet, with some very dry lingering grain flavors. Lightly fizzy feel in the mouth.

Really a typical example of the style, but very enjoyable when the temperature rises. If you're at a cookout, why not? Recommended.

BeerSox, Jun 13, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +28.5%

Standard adjunct lager pale gold in colour, Red Stripe pours with lots of retentive and foamy white head that coats the walls of my glass as it recedes. This is about as good as this style of beer can look. I can take half an hour to finish a tallboy and there will still be a a head left when I take that last mouthful.

It's simple and pleasant aroma has grainy, mildly sweet, slightly biscuity malt with light and perfumey floral hops. Lightly flavoured, grainy with noble hops. Mild in the manner typical of the style, but extremely clean and crisp. A little more hop flavour would really put this one over for me. Slightly built with fine carbonation. Feels light and smooth, not watery.

This is good lawnmower beer. This is something I could enjoy knocking back after working in the yard. It's thirst quenching, simple, and clean. It also has little bit more flavour than Bud, Miller, Coors, and much of the like.

mintjellie, Jun 12, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +27.5%

I had one last night, and I think it was the first in a very long time. It's got a great subtle distinct taste that I'm still trying to put my finger on. It's got a flavor that goes with almost any occasion, night time at a bar, or anytime during the day, maybe on the beach. It is from Jamaica after all.

My only complaint is the bottle. Sure, it's distinctive, but it's too small. It literally holds 11.2 fluid ounces, which of course is less than a typical beer. I was not aware of this. I guess I've gotten too used to the long neck styled bottle, because my mouth expected the opening of the bottle to be there when my hand was the normal distance away. Oh well, I'll have to adapt because I'm thinking about picking up a 6pack for a pool party tonight.

kneeland, Jun 12, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +8.4%

Red Stripe pours a light clear gold with a foamy head that fades quickly. The aroma is grainy with some light tropical fruit. The flavor is slightly sweet and grainy with some hints of fragrant apple and pear. Overall Red stripe is a refreshing beer, but not much going on flavorwise.

ericj551, Jun 12, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a bottle into a chilled pint glass.

Was very pale yellow small head that disappeared immediately. left no lacing.
It smelled of grains, no hops smell. Smells good though.
Tastes kind of bland you get some sweet grains and just a slight bitterness.
It's not too carbonated, drinks eady. Good sessionable beer for warm weather.

JMad, Jun 11, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color with a medium sized white head that dissipates slowly and leaves only a touch of lace.

Smell: Sweet malts and grains, with corn and hints of grassy hoops.

Taste: Begins with sweet flavors, finishing with grain notes and fairly prevalent hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: A fairly full body for the style, with balanced carbonation and a crisp, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: Overall, nothing special. However, for the style, this beer is very good and I'd be willing to have it again, though it wouldn't be my first choice when beer shopping.

Mosstrooper, Jun 06, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +5%

I got a Red Stripe the other night. They didn't have it in a bottle (can only) I don't normally drink out of but I decided what the heck. I poured it into a tall frosted glass and liked the amount of head that was retained. My first smell was pleasant, not a lot of hops, more of a barley beer. First taste was smooth and went down fine. Crisp and clean. I have a real passion for Lager beers, but this one seems like it's more of a social drinking beer. I mean, it has flavor but makes you really search for them. Being a Chef I can taste pretty well. More hops in the after taste and this would be a much better beer.
My real disappointment is the can, it says brewed and bottled in Canada?
Not Jamaican made?

RED STRIPE! HOORAY CANADA!

djriggs, Jun 06, 2010

Poured into a pint glass. Appearance was a straw yellow with medium sized head that laced away fairly quickly.Moderately active carbonation. Smell was lightly of grain with a little hint of citrus.Tasted of fresh grain, with a slight crisp hop finish. Fairly good drinking beverage on a hot day.

Atricapilla, Jun 06, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

Getting a tropical fruityness on the nose, and a strang but pleasant chocolate component.

"Sweet" and refreshing beer, going towards the tropical fruitynes. It stays on the palate for a time, well balanced.

A simple and straight forward beer perfect for a hot summer day!!

jikvig, May 31, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -3.4%

I poured into a pint glass to a big, fluffy, white head. It is straw colored and clear. The smell is very sweet. I get white grape or my allergies are screwing with me after mowing the lawn. I don't get a whole lot on the taste. It is dry and crisp. It goes down pretty well since I taste nothing.

buschbeer, May 29, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Hooray Beer! 24 oz large format 'stubby' bottle with some sort of gibberish code on the neck. Pours an extremely light yellow color, bordering on light lager territory with a loud, fluffy white head that hangs around for an average duration and leaves more lace than most AALs.

Nose is grainy with some obvious corn and an actual whiff of a hop cone or two. No off notes and it smells very fresh and clean. To style, this is one of the better smelling adjunct lagers.

Taste is not all that bad and I am actually pretty impressed for the style. Has a somewhat creamy body and displays minimal 'cardboard' aspects that I find inherent with most any AAL. Taste is light and could use some more grains and even some more sweetness. As it is now, it is pretty decently balanced, but that just means minimalistic hops and malt. I dont see a whole lot wrong with this beer and it is much more drinkable than your average macro lager. Not half bad, I would take this over a Bud or Corona anyday.

twiggamortis420, May 22, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never had Red Stripe until today. I was at the liquor store and I saw of 4 pack of 1 pint cans of Red Stripe so I bought them. The can is really boring. It's white and it has Red Stripe written on it.

The beer looks good. It has a full frothy head, and it has a good golden color. the beer smells sweet. I can't smell hops, but it has grassy veggie smell. The taste is decent. I cannot taste hops. I tastes malty with a bitter aftertaste. It feels creamy in my mouth. It's not a heavy lager, so it's fairly easy to drink.

Red Stripe is better than most adjunct-lagers. It tastes more like a German-pilsner than an adjunct-lager. I think this beer would be really good on a hot day. It's refreshing and smooth.

eschbach, May 20, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +4%

A- The beer has a good golden color with a foamy white head.

S- The smell of a pretty yeasty sweet adjunct beer.

T-The Taste isn't too bad for what it is. It has a more European taste then the typical sweet cervezas and American pilsners.

M-The beer is very carbonated, which makes it more refreshing.

D-Very light and drinkable. This beer sits well and is definitely something you could crack open at someone's party and not be in pain like drinking a Coors.

Beer is beer, and when you're sitting around with your buddies and they toss you a Red Stripe, you got to take it for what it is and just enjoy life.

3HovsepiansBrews, May 12, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -47%

I poured this into a generic pint glass. The appearance isn't too bad, there's a good amount of lacing, the body is gold coloured, and head retention is OK. However, I was not impressed by the smell, it smelt like, nothing at all. The taste was marginally better, could at least detect some cereal. Mouthfeel was water and drinkability was YUK!!!!

There are some decent AALs out there, and while this is better than BMC, you should prob avoid.

tjd112, May 11, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

This one starts right off with an appearance better than is typical for the style; that is, there's actually a bit of a frothy white head that sticks around for a minute or two and actually leaves a little lacing behind. It's also a decent pale yellow-gold rather than a sickly very pale yellow.
There's a little bit of a sulphuric note in the aroma, which is otherwise the usual adjunct smell except with perhaps a hint more hops to it.
There's a surprising touch of sweetness up front giving way to a zesty lemon with grains in the foreground all the way. There's actually something of a hops presence underneath. There's something a bit herbal coming in and out as well. Who knew there was an adjunct out there with a little character to it?
The body is light, amazingly close to medium, with an ample carbonation adding a crisp bite and a bit of smoothness. There's actually something to the mouthfeel.
This one is generally drinkable, all the more so because it's not the horrible swill you're limited to when all you can have is an adjunct. If that's all your selection, pick this one up first.

Brenden, May 08, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +16.8%

This was my first "college" beer- the beer I was thrilled to find at parties, the beer I asked people to buy for me, the beer I told everyone I drank continuously. Exposure to other beers has rather altered my opinion of this one, but I'll still never turn one down, ever. Smooth, easy texture, with a subtle lager flavor and an occasional honeyed aftertaste.

Also, I've never found a beer with a more satisfying bottle. I usually keep holding it for 15 minutes after I finish, just for the hell of it.

ufotofuturo, May 07, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +21.8%

Picked this up as a random case for a buddy to split on his Birthday. Ended up being a pretty good buy. I was honestly quite surprised by the fact that the Jamaicans can actually brew beer pretty damn well.

A- Pours a transparent apple juice colour. Carbonation is evident via the bubbles steadily rising. Slight head, fizzes out quickly leaving nothing at all.

S- Some slight flowery smells, a bit of corn. It smells very sweet but there is a small indication of sulfur.

T- A solid Lager. It has a nice sweet taste. Quite possible better than Yuengling Lager.

M- Decent mouthfeel. The bubbles pop nicely on the tongue and the beer rests nice an lightly.

D- Very good. Its smooth and crisp. A good nicely flavoured, highly drinkable beer.

This is a good beer to pick up. Its not amazing, but is a nice change of pace from the usual. I wouldn't drink it all the time simply for the price. While I previously stated the taste may be better than Yuengling Lager, i feel the overall beer itself is not.
All and all, good job Jamaica. Not too shabby.
Cheers

BeerSquid, May 04, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Grabbed a big bottle of this for $1.99 at a local grocery. Poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a crystal clear pale gold with a large billowy white head on top. Retention is fair. Scents of corn mash, some light honey tones, and mild florals.

The body is decently crisp, though a little thin. Flavors of buttered bread, sweet corn, honey crackers, and just a twinge of hops on the finish. For an adjunct, this is decent. Pretty refreshing really. And for this price, I could have this again.

Onenote81, May 03, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass.
Listening to: Grateful Dead Dick's Picks 8 - 05.02.70

A: Pours with a good one finger head, with short retention. There is no lacing. The color pours with a greenish yellow color.

S: Not a over powering aroma, but very present.

T: Smooth and fresh, but a bit on the watery side.

M: Very undesirable mouthfeel, that of water and light bodied lager.

D: The off tastes make this beer, not the most refreshing beer to drink, with this not being my style, I feel that for myself I would not be coming back for more.

Notes: Overall Red Stripe is a beer that is IMO best for fall drinking, not a summer beer or a spring one, not refreshing enough.

GDBEERMAN, Apr 27, 2010