Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev +14.2%

Golden yellow appearance with lots of white head that slowly disappears. Smell is mostly grain with a hint of hops and malt, nothing strong tough.

Taste is typical for adjunct lagers, sweet with corn. Picked up a hint of malt and grain as well. Light bodied with moderate carbonation, very crisp. Aftertaste is dry with a lingering sweetness.

Not an overly complex beer, but refreshing nonetheless with nothing offensive. Great for the summer or with spicy foods.

3.6/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I always saw this beer but for some reason was hesistant to try it.
I finally tried it on tap and was very surprised. This is a pretty good beer. And the cost is also very good. Smooth tasting, can really drink alot of them without getting too full. I really recommend this one.

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Bought a 6-pack of this beer from Dierbergs in Ellisville, MO and poured each individual into a Goose Island pint glass.

Appearance- Dark Yellow with a 1/6 of head but died down immediately.

Smell- A tremendous amount of malt seems to be present and then a corn/hop (almost mixed).

Taste- There is a corn taste at the end. Other than this, a normal adjunct taste but can really appreciate after having others in the same genre.

Mouthfeel- Huge in carbonation, Light Bodied, and goes down

Drinkability- Besides a Budweiser or Heineken, this is my go to adjunct beer. Goes down easier than anything. Enjoyed all three without even a piss break.

2.47/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pretty basic golden yellow. No head. No real lacing. Meh.

S: Pretty much all grain. Could be worse, but nothing mindblowing.

T: Really general malty/corn/general grainy taste.

M: Very bubbly. Sometimes a little off-putting.

D: If I want something really accessible, there are many worse choices than RS. Pretty decent drinkable.

2.91/5  rDev -1.7%

A: The beer is clear light yellow in color and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a very thin white head that faded away but left some lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There are sweet aromas of grainy malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is quite malty with a moderate amount of sweetness. There are flavors of corn and grainy malts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some hints of crispness.
D: Compared to other beers in this style, Red Stripe is very drinkable, although the sweetness would keep me from drinking more than one of these at a time.

3.84/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer is a pale straw-yellow coloring with a thin, filmy ring of head. The beer has a slightly sour tone to it's smell, but mostly grains. Flavor is also slightly sour, but it helps to balance the grainy and slightly spiced taste characteristics. Very light in mouth, with an extremely smooth finish. Aftertaste is a bit musty, but dry, which beckons for a follow-up sip. Great beer for the beach, especially in Jamaica!

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle (no date) into dimpled mug (or outright when I'm partying). Haven't had this since college. From notes: Poured pale clear yellow with thick foamy white head. Much lacing. Faint malt aroma with a tiny bit of Hay. Thin flavour, a little malt sweetness, a little bitter. Thin finish on a light body. Not much I can say about this beer but is quite freshing on a warm/hot day and when the mood is right.

2.87/5  rDev -3%

Got some Red Stripe today for our Super Bowl beer, just something that can go down easy and everyone could enjoy. Pours a pale yellow with a small white head, so that wasn't doing it any favors. Smell was pretty simple, kind of earthy and floral, but was weak. Taste wise, it isn't very complex, but compared to other adjuncts, it's quite good. It starts off sweet, then finishes slightly bitter. Aftertaste is kind of watery, though. Mouthfeel is bubbly and light. This beer is very refreshing and easy to drink, I could easily see a sixer going down quickly. All in all, it's a good beer for it's style, and would be a great summer beer. It is pricey, however, and that will likely keep me from buying more.

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

My Grandfather has been going to Jamacia for 3 weeks a years since before I was born (im 29). He always talks about his Red Stripe, as well as he gets it here as well. So being that I am now out to try as many brews as possible, I am about to try it for him.

This brew pours a strawlike color. Has a nice 1/2 inch bright white head. The head actually had some retention that held on for a few minutes. Kind of impressive for lager.

The aroma is pretty simple. It had a decently nice floral/woodsy hop aroma. Can't really detect much else.

Taste was actually pretty good, being that this brew is a macro. It has a bit of a hoppy undertone that is a bit sweet. Kind of like rice or corn. It goes into a bit of a bitter aftertaste. Kind of hard to explain. Its not overbearing at all. Actually very good. Has a little bit of complexity that I wasn't expecting.

Mouthful is a nice. Its very light and quite bubbly. Its a suprisingly refreshing brew.

Great drink, im sure this would be a wonderful brew in warmer weather. I might have to test that this summer. Great brew, going to have to get it again. As well as thank my grandfather for having me try it.

2.85/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 24 oz bottle this beer appears a washed out golden hue with a nice snow white head.
The aromas seem to be mainly a grainy mix of malt and corn.
Grainy boozy and corny, some earthy hops are present.
Light and crisp mouth.
Easy drinker on the beach preferabley rockin' the roots!

2.65/5  rDev -10.5%

484ml Can, brewed in the UK by Well's and Young's in Bedford. Best before 20 Oct 2011, drank on 1st feb 2011, poured into a 'Leffe' stemmed, wide tulip glass (twice).

This beer was bought for me by my daughter, she knows I don't drink lager or cans normally, bless her!

Regular lager/pilsner look, golden, bright and a thin white head on top.

Grainy smell, nothing else.

Dry, cardboard dry at first, a hop bitterness follows the initial dryness. Would be refreshing if I was sat on a beach in the sun, however it's dark and cold here and the beer is just a dry hoppy drink which I'm not really enjoying.

Bland and typical lager feel. Glad I've only got to have one can. The bottle I reviewed was a bit better, thank goodness.

3.17/5  rDev +7.1%

Red Stripe. The consumate lager of the the tropics. Jamaica's own pours a American Adjunct pale yellow, head recedes quickly. Crisp mouthfeel and is pleasant, but the taste is funky for me and would not be drinking this as a session beer. I like to try again with cuisine that befits this lager.

3.45/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Possibly my favourite lager, Red Stripe was first introduced to me by a friend at a concert, where I had it on-tap, which is slightly better than the canned drink available in shops (oddly enough i've had it in 440ml and 500ml cans) This was the first beer I ever had, and I still laugh when I think back to when I was new to beer and thought Red Stripe was the best beer out of any, hands down!

Like many lagers, it is hard to go into any massive detail, but here's my "lowdown" on the drink.

It is very, very easy to drink alot of, and not too strong either so drinking alot is not much of a problem. The taste is similar to Peroni, although slightly more refreshing and thirst quenching, especially when ice-cold from the fridge.

Perfect on a hot summers day when you want a cheap beverage you don't have to concentrate much on.

2.65/5  rDev -10.5%

A - pale yellow, no head. .

S - sweet grain, corn, mild earthiness.

T - hint of sweet grain up front, mild bitter finish.

M - light body, big carbonation, dry/crisp finish.

D - gimmick macro/import adjunct lager for me. save your money for the good stuff.

3.1/5  rDev +4.7%

When pouring, the foam was white in color and thin. The color was deep gold with yellow highlights. It had an overall balance of wheat, hops and barley with hints of citrus and flowers. The taste was identical to the aroma. Mouthfeel - medium bodied and crisp. Drinkability - not too bad. Kind of has a summer feel to it due to the citrus and flowery tones. Ok session

2.37/5  rDev -19.9%

330ml bottle poured into a white wine glass · fridge temp · best by june 2011

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with lots of quickly building head. 2.5" tall, off-white color. The beer is amazingly clear, unlike a lot of the beer I've been drinking lately. Good retention, lots of pillowy craters. The fun continues as a single stream of bubbles steadies itself to the top of the beer.

Smell: Pilsner malt, some mineral/metallic aromas, with faint aromas of hops and adjuncts. Very basic.

Taste: Very plain pilsner flavor without much bitterness or residual sugar at all. Slight biscuits without much alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thin, slick and refreshing without any alcohol burn present. Mild dryness.

Drinkability: This isn't a standout for flavor but it sure would be easy to drink a lot of it. It's a refreshing lager, but that's where the complexity stops.

2.97/5  rDev +0.3%

This was offered to me while I was at my parent's over the weekend.

Yellow fizzy lager. Bit of a head on it.

Smeet malty smell.

Not terrible tasting. For some reason I thought this would have tasted a lot more exotic. They nailed the american adjunct lager style pretty well. It was lightly flavored, and crisp. I can see this being a refreshing beer.

Mouthfeel again was light and crisp.

Definitely drinkable.

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice easy drinking lager for hot days or hot foods. Slightly sweet.. I swear the pint sized can tastes different than the shorty bottle. It's been a few years since I had one, but had countless ones of these in the past when I used to hang out at the Royal Rack reggae pool hall. So I have fond memories but really it tastes like most massed produced central american lagers.

3.72/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light straw color with a thin, one finger white head that disappears quickly. Only a skim of foam left over part of the surface.

Aromas of grainy, sweet malt. An earthy hop aroma comes through. Grassy, like mown hay.

First sip is malty, grainy, with a balancing bitterness, but the edge is toward the malt. Slightly sweet aftertaste that lingers. A bit of a carbonic bite, and a little gassy.

Mouthfeel is thin, almost watery. Nothing much there.

A decent, adjunct lager, for drinking in mass quanitities without getting too hammered. To that end, it is very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a pilsner glass. Mild white foam that seemed to disappear quickly. Plenty of carbonation and some mild lacing. A light golden colour. Not real impressive smell or taste but better than some macrolagers. I seem to remember this more fondly but it was in the sun and I was really thirsty. Malts are weak and not too much else going for it. I guess I should not have drank a DAB prior to this. I do like the stubby painted bottle. Mouthfeel is average, light bodied and some effervescence. Drinkability would be improved by warm sun, blue clear waters, and coconut oil. Will try again, under those circumstances.

3.58/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Straw yellow, mild head and retention.

S - Some faint grassy notes with a mild hop tinge. Average for a macro lager.

T - Slightly bitter with a grainy earth tone. Not as grassy as the nose would lead one to believe. Not bad at all.

M - Crisp, clean feel. Sharp carbonation actually works in it's favor here.

D - Very enjoyable for a lager. When I'm at places that tend not to have a craft selection, this is usually what I go for. A bit expensive for what it is, but what isn't these days?

1.67/5  rDev -43.6%

11.2 oz iconic bottle poured into pint glass

A--Dark yellow. Nearly 100% transparent. two fingers of foamy white head. lots of lacing

S--Bread and biscut malts with a little bit of floral hops. overall a bit sour/skunky

T--Sour, slightly sweet, bitter, water. not as offensive as the smell, but completely uninteresting

M--light, very little carbonation

D--if you can drink water, you can drink this. thank god for the marketing team, because they would not sell any of this stuff without their efforts.

2.46/5  rDev -16.9%

I had a Red Stripe for the first time in a long time on NYE at Towne Inn in Jefferson, WI.

I didn't like it quite as much as I remembered but it was decent. It didn't have a good smell at all, kind of skunky. The taste was ok, but not as good as I expected. Also had a bitter aftertaste that made it less enjoyable.

All in all, Red Stripe has some funny commercials and I'll have one from time to time, but there are better beers out there for me.

2.73/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pale yellow color with foamy white head. Poor retention and poor lacing.

S: Some sweet corn and vegetal smell. Light honey.

T: Light taste but still quite sweet, sweeter than most of the style. Mashed sweet corn. Correct malt. Might be one of the tastier of the style.

M: Extremely light with medium to strong carbonation. Makes me think of mineral water.

D: Very drinkable, as it is for all the beers of the style. Just won't keep my attention.

1.64/5  rDev -44.6%

I swear I have reviewed this beer before but yet it says I don't, anyway...I've had this several times from the bottle, pours a light strawish yellow, actually has pretty good carbonation, but is very watery...The aroma is skunky mostly with a little hops...The taste is mostly skunky but has a terrible harsh bitter finish. This is one of my least favorite adjuncts because of the finish. Would rather have a BMC.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited