Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +31.3%

this one pours a nice golden color with a far amount of head that quickley windes down to a slight ring around the glass. the flavor is a bit sour at first but then the hop kiss washes the sour away. this has a good all around flavor and just the right amount of carbonation. thiss one is alwayst one i will come back to

orcasteve, Jul 07, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

Red Stripe. It's beer. Hooray Beer!

How can you argue with that?

Beer pours from a stubby brown grenade-bottle, straw-golden with a thick white head that settles to lacy film in my duvel tulip.

Smell is clean and sweet, like caramel with buttered corn and a strong presence of white pepper.

Flavor is clean across the palate, strong malt and corn presence with nobel hops faintly singing backup.

This is a favorite session beer of mine, especially on summer nights like tonight, the 4th of July in sunny sweltering Florida. There are many lagers that are "better", but there is only one "Red Stripe".

hooligan, Jul 05, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Red Stripe
Bottle Inspection: Jamaican! Nothing else of interest, except it's in a cool brown stubby like bottle that was inviting enough that I didn't want to pour it out into my Sam Adams glass, but I did. There's a lasered neck code which is inscrutable (1508 4 11:39) which means (We want to know the date, and not let YOU know the date).

Aroma: Very Euro-lager nose. Sweet light malt with a bit of leafy English earthy hops.

Appearance: Bright and clear pale yellow with tons of carbonation streams that struggle to hold a rapidly dying head.

Flavor: Grain soaked water is the first and lasting impression. Balance is really pretty good; there isn't any sweetness or bitterness, which normally will allow other characteristics to shine. Unfortunately, there's not much here to show off.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is pretty high making this fizzy and light, two things I don't care for in beer. Bit of a slick texture.

Overall Impression: A great casual beer for the beach, light enough to quench your thirst, but not enough flavor to make this anything I'd drink on a regular basis.

HardTarget, Jul 04, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a golden straw yellow color, nearly macro to the T, but formed a nice two-finger head and actually left some good lacing on the glass at first, but later disappeared. Smell is of some grainy malt and a bit of corn aroma. Taste is much the same. Lots of grain malt flavor, some hints of apple and spice, slightly sweet but dry on the finish and an average hop bitterness that kicks any American Macro's ass. Very creamy, medium bodied, and a better than average Macro lager.

KeefD, Jul 03, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Red Stripe is simply a very drinkable and refreshing lager, nothing more; nothing less. There is however a certain unique taste to it that I really can't put my finger on. It may well be an abundance of rice or corn, but the aftertaste of this beer is subtly unique. It's a bit sweet, but not in an overpowering way. I like this beer but I have to admit, I'm biased towards liking beers in general. I really just like beer and there are very few I hate. This is a good beer and I'm enjoying it very much right now. I do wish it had a slightly higher alcohol content though because beer that gets you drunker is always nice.

abriggs1, Jun 27, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -38.4%

12 ounce short fat bottle, shaker pint.

A - Extremely light yellow color. Head forms then disappears, tiny cap of white foam remains. Bubbles rush to the surface.

S - Faint grainy smell, not much else.

T - Has some sweetness, a wierd sugary taste.

M - Thin, watery.

D - This brew is just way too watery and the flavor is just off in my opinion.

EStreet20, Jun 27, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Light golden color with thin white head. Lots of little bubbles rising up through the beer. No lacing to speak of.

S - Sweet grainy aroma. Picked up hints of honey as well.

T - A griany sweetness dominates but their is a citrus scent as well. A light bite from the hops late in the drink provides pretty good balance.

M/D - Almost creamy in the feel. Excellent carboantion. A very drinkable lager.

ckeegan04, Jun 22, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +19.5%

Red Stripe pours a clear pale straw color with a big, white head. The smell is typical of this kind of lager, with a hint of spicy hops and a hint of sourness. The taste is very light, with a hint of sweetness and a bit of spiciness from the hops. There is a quick, dry finish. The mouthfeel is light with a medium/high amount of carbonation.

Though nothing great, this is a nice, light, thirst-quenching beer. Possibly a good lawnmower beer.

Spidey13, Jun 19, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, honey and some spice, with a touch of hops.

T: The taste has a little bit more sweetness than most in the style, with flavors of corn and honey. There's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little flavorful, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, it's not bad for the style but it's something I'd only drink if there weren't much else to choose from.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 17, 2008

A: Poured a clear, golden-bronze with a thin, sudsy white head that soon dissipated. Visible carbonation was medium.

S: The nose was sweet buttery popcorn.

T: The initial flavor was much the same, sweet buttery popcorn and grains. Overall the flavor was smooth and buttery sweet per style.

M: light, once again buttery slick and sweet with a light carbonation.

D: For a lager was a tad sweet, maybe a tad to much so for multiples but would be ok considering climate and locale.

beerthulhu, Jun 04, 2008
3.03/5  rDev +2%

A - Poured into a pint where a decent head followed. Good lace on the brew and actually some stickies on the glass. Looks of your typical macro: straw yellow.

S - Nice blend of malts and hops. A musty and skunky odor is mixed in as well.

T - Not bad.Nice light malt flavor but the end of the swig and aftertaste are metallic. Nice dash of hops in the middle as well.

M - Good carbonation and it finishes clean. Nicely balanced here. Good light to medium mouthfeel.

D - This is not a bad lager. Better than average at least so I wouldn't mind throwing a few down at a social event. I probably would not go out of my way to buy this. In fact I bought this because it was on sale and also had a manufacturer's coupon to go with it. ;d

osi, May 30, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -36.7%

Very beautiful sunny yellow colour. Thin white head. Some lacing.

Terrible odour of vomit. I almost have to drink it with one hand squeezing my nose after having recognised the smell.

Metallic taste of corn. A few hoppy tones but not many.

Very bland mouthfeel. Little carbonation.

If I can help it I will not be drinking this again.

edit : I actually will have to lower the score further after I just finished it. Perhaps there was something wrong with my bottle since I rate it so much lower than everybody else.

Ch1mpy, May 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a straw yellow with little to no head.

Smells of straw and skunky hops.

Has a skunky hop taste to it, comparible in taste to Heinekin. Seems like something my wife will like, but not quite my style.

Not a bad beer, and certainly good for a bit of session drinking, but not something I would seek out.

donteatpoop, May 29, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +22.9%

A- pours a 1 finger head into a pint glass with a urine-eque yellow color with the tiniest hint of sedimentation.

S- Adjunct, straw/graininess, light skunky hops.

T- Very light in taste, but has a nice body for a light lager. There is a light touch of hops initially and then a fuller light maltiness and a clean lightly citrus finish. Not bad.

M- This has a little more character than the average macro lager with it's nice finish as noted above. The mouthfeel is light but gets the job done.

D- If I had to choose a macro lager, this would probably be it, but the price tag gives it a snag in the affordability department. Unfortunately, the media has driven up the price of this, but for a now and then, clean refreshing summer beer, I may grab some of these.

Greggy, May 24, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Clear straw yellow color with a thin and bubbly white head that barely rises up and settles out quickly.

Aroma of butter and corn, faint biscuit malt and metal. Flavors of corn and dry grass, some spice and alcohol notes in the finish.

Thin and watery mouthfeel. Not my favorite selection.

far333, May 16, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -40.1%

Not much to say about appearance. Drank from the bottle. The aroma is a little malty and a slight citrus (lime?). I took a sip expecting the typical taste of a lager but what stood out instead was a very sugary kind of sweetness (pepsi?). The sugary flavor overpowered whatever kind of hops and malts I'm supposed to taste--yet didn't mask the metallic taste familiar to a lot of macrolagers. After a while, the sugar left a bad aftertaste and I don't have much to say about the mouth feel. It ended up being pretty filling too.

I grabbed a bottle of this at some dive I was at for a concert (it was the night's special). Pretty poor stuff. I couldn't shake that fake corn-sweet flavor the rest of the night. Made me feel sick. I'll pass next time.

KBomb, May 09, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +13.8%

This was a 24 oz bottle that I drank straight from. This is just one of those beers that I'm not too worried about its presentation in a glass, and in my opinion the spirit of some beers lies in drinking them straight from their container.

It doesn't take a whole lot to figure out the color is pale gold, the smell is a sweet light malt. No hop presence. Same in the taste, it's sweet malt, but at least it's not as cheap or watery feeling as our domestic big boys. I didn't think I would be able to finish all 24 oz's before I started but I did finish it. It wasn't the most pleasant thing ever, but it didn't make me gag. I would pick this as a good light beer.

MiScusi, May 08, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours slightly golder than the average macro lager...

Smells of adjuncts...a bit of grass...

Tastes really, really good. This beer has a characteristic acorn, creamy taste. As I was describing the taste to the owner of the liquor store he looked at me like I was crazy. Ah well, the hop profile is grassy. I really wish I knew what hops were used.

Exceptional...smooth...

This is a much better beer than most mass produced lagers. Too bad there is no freshness date. I fear many try this beer past its peak and know not. I would rather have this beer over BMC lagers.

CamuMahubah, May 07, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

Not a bad shot Red Stripe. I understand that you are trying to maximize profit off of marketing instead of your product. You lager is better than most American versions.

Still an average looking yellow beer with not much of a smell. The taste is mostly light malt. The feel is light and very carbonated. The drinkablility can be described in the following phrase. "No thanks I would rather have a water."

rye726, May 05, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours a clear, golden color with a lot of carbonation and a thin white head.
Smell is very nice for an American Macro Lager (which I am not veyr sure this beer should be categorized as). Nice buttery, biscuity smell.
Taste is nice as well. Tastes of good lager malts and a very small bit of citrus at the end.
The mouthfeel is a little too sharp for my liking, but has a nice buttery feel too.
Very drinkable beer. Great beer to drink in warm weather, as it is very refreshing. I would drink these over a crap beer like Corona any day.

BDIMike, May 04, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Consumed from the bottle. This beer is surprisingly refreshing. The taste isnt much in the way of flavors but its crisp and drinkable. Not a bad brew!

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. Not much for those looking for flavor but this is a nice cheap session beer thats refreshing.

iconoklaztor, May 03, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +12.8%

This was the house beer on tap at our resort, so I ended up drinking a fair share of it. Looked nice, crystal clear and pale yellow, often capped by a thin layer of bright white foam. Fine, sticky lacing with decent head retention. Cereal and malt aroma with a hint of fruit and kiss of hops. Low bitterness, quite sweet with a bit of fruit mid-palate. Quick finish with a flash of faint hops and more fruity esters. Light bodied with carbonation slightly on the high side, fair texture. A basic beer, but it hit the spot on warm, sunny days in Jamaica.

DrJay, Apr 30, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured out of a shorty bottle (12oz) into a pint glass.

A-Light body. Direct pour method will give you a nice head on this beer.

S-chemical like, berry

T-quenching but seems like alot of filler. Not very profound in flavor.

M-light

D-Good for quenching a thirst but not very distinctive by itself.

jneiswender, Apr 27, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +8.8%

This certainly isn't a bad lager: The balance of malt and hops is pretty good... but also rather safe. I'd say despite being pretty drinkable, it's just not a remarkable brew.

Just a few days ago, though, I coupled it with fish and chips, and the beer came to life quite nicely! All the flavors merged and reinforced each other really well: Maybe it was the beer's malt egging on the fish's batter. Pretty good!

Anyway, my final word would be to try Red Stripe with a meal. It's not half bad that way! Otherwise, it's an easy-going but ultimately uninspired drink.

Exner83, Apr 24, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer pours a clear pale golden color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of biscuity malt, with a faint hint of noble hops. The taste is mostly of corn, with a metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, I cannot see myself drinking this again. It is way too metallic for my liking.

KarlHungus, Apr 13, 2008