Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.09/5  rDev +4.4%

I got a Red Stripe the other night. They didn't have it in a bottle (can only) I don't normally drink out of but I decided what the heck. I poured it into a tall frosted glass and liked the amount of head that was retained. My first smell was pleasant, not a lot of hops, more of a barley beer. First taste was smooth and went down fine. Crisp and clean. I have a real passion for Lager beers, but this one seems like it's more of a social drinking beer. I mean, it has flavor but makes you really search for them. Being a Chef I can taste pretty well. More hops in the after taste and this would be a much better beer.
My real disappointment is the can, it says brewed and bottled in Canada?
Not Jamaican made?

RED STRIPE! HOORAY CANADA!

2.98/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Appearance was a straw yellow with medium sized head that laced away fairly quickly.Moderately active carbonation. Smell was lightly of grain with a little hint of citrus.Tasted of fresh grain, with a slight crisp hop finish. Fairly good drinking beverage on a hot day.

3.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Getting a tropical fruityness on the nose, and a strang but pleasant chocolate component.

"Sweet" and refreshing beer, going towards the tropical fruitynes. It stays on the palate for a time, well balanced.

A simple and straight forward beer perfect for a hot summer day!!

2.92/5  rDev -1.4%

I poured into a pint glass to a big, fluffy, white head. It is straw colored and clear. The smell is very sweet. I get white grape or my allergies are screwing with me after mowing the lawn. I don't get a whole lot on the taste. It is dry and crisp. It goes down pretty well since I taste nothing.

3.69/5  rDev +24.7%

Hooray Beer! 24 oz large format 'stubby' bottle with some sort of gibberish code on the neck. Pours an extremely light yellow color, bordering on light lager territory with a loud, fluffy white head that hangs around for an average duration and leaves more lace than most AALs.

Nose is grainy with some obvious corn and an actual whiff of a hop cone or two. No off notes and it smells very fresh and clean. To style, this is one of the better smelling adjunct lagers.

Taste is not all that bad and I am actually pretty impressed for the style. Has a somewhat creamy body and displays minimal 'cardboard' aspects that I find inherent with most any AAL. Taste is light and could use some more grains and even some more sweetness. As it is now, it is pretty decently balanced, but that just means minimalistic hops and malt. I dont see a whole lot wrong with this beer and it is much more drinkable than your average macro lager. Not half bad, I would take this over a Bud or Corona anyday.

3.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never had Red Stripe until today. I was at the liquor store and I saw of 4 pack of 1 pint cans of Red Stripe so I bought them. The can is really boring. It's white and it has Red Stripe written on it.

The beer looks good. It has a full frothy head, and it has a good golden color. the beer smells sweet. I can't smell hops, but it has grassy veggie smell. The taste is decent. I cannot taste hops. I tastes malty with a bitter aftertaste. It feels creamy in my mouth. It's not a heavy lager, so it's fairly easy to drink.

Red Stripe is better than most adjunct-lagers. It tastes more like a German-pilsner than an adjunct-lager. I think this beer would be really good on a hot day. It's refreshing and smooth.

3.08/5  rDev +4.1%

A- The beer has a good golden color with a foamy white head.

S- The smell of a pretty yeasty sweet adjunct beer.

T-The Taste isn't too bad for what it is. It has a more European taste then the typical sweet cervezas and American pilsners.

M-The beer is very carbonated, which makes it more refreshing.

D-Very light and drinkable. This beer sits well and is definitely something you could crack open at someone's party and not be in pain like drinking a Coors.

Beer is beer, and when you're sitting around with your buddies and they toss you a Red Stripe, you got to take it for what it is and just enjoy life.

1.55/5  rDev -47.6%

I poured this into a generic pint glass. The appearance isn't too bad, there's a good amount of lacing, the body is gold coloured, and head retention is OK. However, I was not impressed by the smell, it smelt like, nothing at all. The taste was marginally better, could at least detect some cereal. Mouthfeel was water and drinkability was YUK!!!!

There are some decent AALs out there, and while this is better than BMC, you should prob avoid.

3.43/5  rDev +15.9%

This one starts right off with an appearance better than is typical for the style; that is, there's actually a bit of a frothy white head that sticks around for a minute or two and actually leaves a little lacing behind. It's also a decent pale yellow-gold rather than a sickly very pale yellow.
There's a little bit of a sulphuric note in the aroma, which is otherwise the usual adjunct smell except with perhaps a hint more hops to it.
There's a surprising touch of sweetness up front giving way to a zesty lemon with grains in the foreground all the way. There's actually something of a hops presence underneath. There's something a bit herbal coming in and out as well. Who knew there was an adjunct out there with a little character to it?
The body is light, amazingly close to medium, with an ample carbonation adding a crisp bite and a bit of smoothness. There's actually something to the mouthfeel.
This one is generally drinkable, all the more so because it's not the horrible swill you're limited to when all you can have is an adjunct. If that's all your selection, pick this one up first.

3.44/5  rDev +16.2%

This was my first "college" beer- the beer I was thrilled to find at parties, the beer I asked people to buy for me, the beer I told everyone I drank continuously. Exposure to other beers has rather altered my opinion of this one, but I'll still never turn one down, ever. Smooth, easy texture, with a subtle lager flavor and an occasional honeyed aftertaste.

Also, I've never found a beer with a more satisfying bottle. I usually keep holding it for 15 minutes after I finish, just for the hell of it.

3.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked this up as a random case for a buddy to split on his Birthday. Ended up being a pretty good buy. I was honestly quite surprised by the fact that the Jamaicans can actually brew beer pretty damn well.

A- Pours a transparent apple juice colour. Carbonation is evident via the bubbles steadily rising. Slight head, fizzes out quickly leaving nothing at all.

S- Some slight flowery smells, a bit of corn. It smells very sweet but there is a small indication of sulfur.

T- A solid Lager. It has a nice sweet taste. Quite possible better than Yuengling Lager.

M- Decent mouthfeel. The bubbles pop nicely on the tongue and the beer rests nice an lightly.

D- Very good. Its smooth and crisp. A good nicely flavoured, highly drinkable beer.

This is a good beer to pick up. Its not amazing, but is a nice change of pace from the usual. I wouldn't drink it all the time simply for the price. While I previously stated the taste may be better than Yuengling Lager, i feel the overall beer itself is not.
All and all, good job Jamaica. Not too shabby.
Cheers

2.76/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Grabbed a big bottle of this for $1.99 at a local grocery. Poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a crystal clear pale gold with a large billowy white head on top. Retention is fair. Scents of corn mash, some light honey tones, and mild florals.

The body is decently crisp, though a little thin. Flavors of buttered bread, sweet corn, honey crackers, and just a twinge of hops on the finish. For an adjunct, this is decent. Pretty refreshing really. And for this price, I could have this again.

2.7/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass.
Listening to: Grateful Dead Dick's Picks 8 - 05.02.70

A: Pours with a good one finger head, with short retention. There is no lacing. The color pours with a greenish yellow color.

S: Not a over powering aroma, but very present.

T: Smooth and fresh, but a bit on the watery side.

M: Very undesirable mouthfeel, that of water and light bodied lager.

D: The off tastes make this beer, not the most refreshing beer to drink, with this not being my style, I feel that for myself I would not be coming back for more.

Notes: Overall Red Stripe is a beer that is IMO best for fall drinking, not a summer beer or a spring one, not refreshing enough.

2.44/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Stripe pours with a surprising head for a light lager. A copious, rocky bright-white head sits atop the clearest possible body, the colour of watered down apple juice. Retention could be improved but the head actually laces really well. Not a bad looking beer.

Smells mostly of an unspecific astringency with the smallest bit of grain. There's something chemical-y in there too, some old mop bucket or something.

I chose specifically to buy this in a can as the last time I drank this (well over a year ago) the bottle was incredibly skunked. It must have been sitting around forever. It tastes of grain, pale malt, a light honey-like sweetness and there are even some hops on the finish. There is some chemical-something in the flavour as well but it doesn't come off as badly as that from the smell. Some nail polish comes out as it warms. No alcohol present (obviously, at 4.7%). Yeah, I don't know about this one. I'm actually enjoying it less and less as I drink it.

The feel is not good. Light body and medium carbonation. Definitely too watery.

I was expecting worse, given the fact that my last Red Stripe was one of the worst beers I've ever had. I knew it had to have been off. This one doesn't taste off, it's just really not too good. I won't be buying this again, I kind of only bought it to add a notch to my country list... I also hadn't yet reviewed an "American Adjunct Lager". Kind of lame they brew it in Canada. Does this really count as a Jamaican beer, then?

3.88/5  rDev +31.1%

Appearance: One of my favorite looking American-style lagers. A ton of foam and bubbles that jump out at you. Solid golden color, almost a bit orange.

Smell: This stuff smells a bit metallic, but not much. Very brown sugary, a mouth-watering smell in my opinion.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Maybe a bit harsh with the bubbles, but the taste is good. Again, sugar dominates. Very carbonated and crisp. Refreshing.

Drinkability: Not really a session beer for me, but nice to enjoy 1-2 of these.

Overall: I imagine this would go well with Mexican/Caribbean food. Underrated. Hooray beer!

3.64/5  rDev +23%

To me, this has a slightly metallic nose to it.

Poured into a glass, has about average carbonation.

Taste is similar to alot of lagers that I've had domestically. Light and refreshing with a fizz to it. I would definitely drink this again if given the opportunity. A friend gave me this bottle, so I don't know the cost, but I can only imagine that similar domestic beers can be had for less cost...

3.44/5  rDev +16.2%

When she gets there Knosww there's a lday she knoWs.
Pours q light clear bmc ylliw. Nose is plain of rice and malt.

Light and malty it's very and bad worth skippng and bland skip it! Also it's sharp and leaves a really fuznky after taste. It's just a bad beer.

3.66/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a 330-ml stubby brown bottle into a draught glass.

Appearance - brilliant yellow beer with a short-lived 1/4-inch head. Fades to ultra-thin surface bubbles but boasts a heavy carbonation factor, fizz secod to none.

Smell - heavy on the corn and cooked veggies. Clean, sweet light malt aromas.

Taste - it is what it is in terms of flavour but the crispness is a major asset for the brew, giving it a life all its own. Some quick tribute to hop extract at the end and a sudden finish.

Mouthfeel - high on the carbonation, sparkle and bite are what you get. If it's what you're looking for you can't go wrong with this offering.

Drinkability - quite frankly, this is better right out of the bottle. Numerous people said I would like this, not even knowing my style preferences and yet they were right. $14 for a 6-pack is too much, and yet this is what it felt like to drink from a stubby back in the day. Neat!

3.23/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24 oz bottle. I like the stout bottle. Poured lighter than almost any beer I've ever seen; with an actual head though, something to be proud of! Doesn't smell like much of anything and tastes of sweet corn maltodextrin and fresh, yeasty bread. Very decent, just completely mild and unassuming, a bit of upfront and mid fruit flavor, honey lemon-ish. All in all, not bad..

3.47/5  rDev +17.2%

Finger's worth of bone white head, loosely knit and without much retention, a touch of lacing here or there. Clear, transparent yellow-orange in color, nothing too distinctive about it, lightens a bit at the rims. The nose has lots of corn syrup, pretzel dough, cereal grains, semi-sour nature to the apricot, apple scents, some spice and wet minerally earth comes through with a big swirl inside the glass. Medium-bodied, more heavy than dense, front-loaded into the mouth entry, declining from there. The carbonation is flat-footed and can't seem to get anything moving. The malts add smoothness to the texture but not only minimal sweetness. The seems mostly to come from the corn, grains and apricot, pear, apple fruit. The spiciness is still there and adds some life, as does the lemon peel notes. The thing here is that this is an über-friendly beer that deserves better than intellectual analysis. it's all about context.

3.02/5  rDev +2%

A: Just like a regular light lager. Yellow...

S: Not sure quite exactly what I'm smelling, maybe some corn.

T: This is by far the best macro light lager out there, but i have definitely had better craft lagers.

M: A tun of carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable, you could drink a tun of these, drink a water before bed, and wake up feeling fine and refreshed.

Although this is a decent mass distributed lager, I would much rather save my money and just buy some Natural Light or Miller Light and get the same effects as the Red Stripe.

3.41/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from 12oz. Bottle into Pint glass.

A: Clear and golden. Head foams up about a half inch and quickly dissipates. Small amounts of lacing move down the glass. Obvious carbonation with beady looking bubbles

S: Sweet corn and a bit metallic. Light, grassy aromas as well.

T: Light flavors. Grassy, mostly sweet and a bit of tanginess. The bitterness is crisp and understated. Hint of metal. Clean finish.

M: Light and smooth, with pleasant carbonation. No unpleasant stickiness left in the finish.

D: This beer is an excellent example of its style and goes down easy. It is versatile and goes well with food, especially with piquant or heavily spiced foods, including the obvious choice of jerked dishes.

.33L emptied into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow with a 1-finger white head receeding to a thick ring. Lice lacing throughout.

S: Grassy hops, adjuncts.

M: Light bodied with decent carbonation.

T: Slightly sweet, almost citrusy, with mild hop spice. Crisp and clean at the finish with a dry aftertaste.

D: Nothing outstanding here, but special to me, as it was the first beer that I ever drank. Not my favorite, but it always brings a smile.

3.99/5  rDev +34.8%

Pale yellow color with lots of carbonation and little to no head.

Smells of grain, straw and just a hint of...dare I say, pineapple.

Spritzy, clean taste with a grainy note and some lemon. There is a slight zest of spicy/floral hops. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium this is loaded with carbonation.

This is a tasty american adjunct lager and more interesting than the average. This is a must try at the beach and makes me look forward to the warmer days ahead.

2.5/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited