Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
linuxn00b2004

3.95/5  rDev +32.6%

Drank this, like an earlier reviewer suggested, straight from the bottle. Therefore, I simply gave a 3.0 average on appearance. I DO love the bottle shape though: it's an attractive stubby bottle with a painted on label. Honestly, that's part of the reason I bought a sixer of it: I homebrew, and I liked the recappable bottle. So, perhaps it deserved a higher rating.

The smell reminded me very much of a "K" apple cider, (of which I am a fan) a light apple fruity odor. Pleasing to the nose, although still nothing special.

The taste was perhaps the best of any American macro lager I've had (although I will admit I have not drank tons). Easy on the palette, malty, and light hints of corn that only served to improve drinkability.

The mouth feel was of acceptable, and not overdone, carbonation. It may even be more drinkable than water.

This beer is really quite excellent for a macro, and I recommend it. There are many better brews out there, but go ahead and give it a whirl. I don't believe you'll hate yourself for it.

EDIT: By the way y'all, I'm reviewing for the style, not how much I really like it. I'm a fan of brown ales, and therefore this just doesn't really do it for me.

07-19-2007 02:37:01 | More by linuxn00b2004
jimdkc

3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a bright-clear yellow-gold with a quite large head which fades really quickly.

Light grainy aroma with a hint of hops.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. Just slightly sweet with maybe just a hint of green apple. A little grassy hops in the background. Clean, slightly bready finish.

Nicely carbonated with a relatively thin body.

Pretty good drinkability. Refreshing. Would be a great lawnmower beer on a hot day! I rather enjoyed this! Definitely a step up from your average macro.

07-18-2007 01:52:02 | More by jimdkc
Slar211

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours pale gold into a pint glass, the white head leaving little white lace.

Smell: Not much apart from a bit of sweet malt.

Taste: Very sweet lager, lots of grain with a tiny hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Finishes crisp and dry, hardly lingering in the mouth at all.

Drinkability: I'm betting this would be nice on a summer scorcher, served ice cold.

07-11-2007 19:12:29 | More by Slar211
FightingEntropy

3.1/5  rDev +4%

Won this bottle on a day trip to Blue Mountain while in Jamaica. In fact, my first ever drinking contest (I started drinking late in life).

Poured into a pint glass and a solid white head popped up with irregular bubbles. It fell rather quickly but left a bit of a ring around the edge. Very light straw gold color and a light hop note in the nose. Smooth taste w/o the aftertaste of most macros. Overall, much better than I expected, and drinking it in Jamaica was improved to any versions I've had here. Having it on tap as well, I think quenching qualities of the lager in the muggy heat of Jamaica does influence the taste, but generally a solidly done bear with a light, crisp taste that isn't unpleasant. A new found respect for Red Stripe. Guessing I'll be disappointed if I buy a pint in the states, but if you're local--don't be afraid.

07-10-2007 22:48:13 | More by FightingEntropy
witster18

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

Forget the pour. Take this straight from the bottle....like a baby. This beer is a light golden color(drawing on memory here) and it has a whispy .5" head that leaves faster than a UFO when you get the camera out. I love this good looking great pouring bottle. For a macro lager....this is definately one of the best. Easy drinkin unnoffensive watered down beer....there is some beer taste here....even a hellasish citrus and a nice lingering aftertaste. Love the piney hops and citrus combo. Good choice anytime...especially when you wanna get there fast...not so much because of alcohol...but because these go down like tic-tacs. Have to revisit...and soon. I can here Bob singing..."this is my message to you ooo ooo".

07-10-2007 20:55:31 | More by witster18
BBM

3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours your standard golden color, with not much head. Aroma is not very interesting or noteworthy. Sweet. This is one of those beers that are just easy drinkers, something you don't have to think about, but won't be repulsed by, either. There's a very smooth lager taste with little skunkiness or corn flavor. It's one of the better macros on the market for my money, and is quite drinkable. Hooray beer!

07-10-2007 17:37:31 | More by BBM
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Not much here...a typical Caribean beer that tastes good when eating coconut based foods, near water, listening to island music, but not much in the actual quality department. Light, grainy aroma and flavor, a short finish. But if you’re in the setting that calls for this kind of beer, this is actually one of the better ones. Back home, leave it be.

07-08-2007 13:23:56 | More by kimcgolf
Vancer

3.23/5  rDev +8.4%

Not a damn bad lager beer, esp. amongst the <import crowd>. At a buck a bottle, this is good summer or session beer. Head over heals better than some Crapona or Heinass. Really, a nice lager beer.

Golden yellow pour, frothy white head. Only drawback was the lack of any real aroma, just some very subtle malt notes.

But yeah, a decent malty brew, basic pilsner taste, nicely balanced with the hops. Little bit on the watery side, no finishing aftertastes. Not offensive, a pretty good mass crowd pleaser for those looking for an <import>.

Good drinkin’ squaty 24 oz bomber bottle at a good price of $2.70. I’d go for a 12 pack of 12ozs anytime.

07-06-2007 00:59:46 | More by Vancer
giblet

2.45/5  rDev -17.8%

another good light beer. good for lawnmowing and cookouts. i had this from a tub of iced down beer when i was on a cruise. it was hot as hell out and the beers were cold. these were tasty for that occasion.

not strong in any category makes me place it in the lost amongst the crowd.

worth a try.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

07-04-2007 12:28:45 | More by giblet
allengarvin

3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Pale yellow color, with an initial head that fades instantly. Clean grainy aroma with a touch of grassy hops--faint but present. Crisp malt character on first taste, with low bitterness making for a sweet finish. Clean yeast character. No adjunct flavors I can detect. Light bodied.

Better than I remember it, this is actually an alright lager, better than many mass-produced ones. Bland, but no faults.

06-29-2007 01:41:40 | More by allengarvin
Hammarby

Sweden

A: Light straw with a white head.
S: Phenols, pears.
T: Tiny bitterness, malt, bread.
M: Good carboration, light body.

Good if served very cold on a hot day. Otherwise not really my kind of beer. The kind of light lager that you would expect on sports bars and the like.

06-26-2007 20:18:43 | More by Hammarby
BeerDreadz

3.6/5  rDev +20.8%

12 onz brown bottle No freshness date .

The appearance is golden color with nice (did'nt expect) white head.It smells like something mustard not bad. A really nice taste hop and some bitterness but very low. It can dry your mouth.One is good the other one maybe other day.

06-23-2007 04:17:33 | More by BeerDreadz
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.8/5  rDev -6%

What can you really say about this, its one of your classics right. Poured a pale golden yellow with a brief fizzy white head that faded to no lace. Smell was musty grain with a hint of bread. Smooth and light, with not as much carbonation as I would have liked. Other than that, nice sessionable macro like lager. A classic for the beach as always/

06-23-2007 01:16:49 | More by mikesgroove
JustinOSU99

3.2/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a darker golden color similar to a Miller lite or other average American Light beers.
S: Smells again like many other American Lagers, but has a little stronger smell of alcohol.
T: Definitely tastes better than I expected. A little more of a complex taste with the alcohol coming through nicely at the end. Has a little more bite than most other lagers.
M: Not too carbonated, smooth on the palate and goes down easy.
D: A regular session beer and something I would most likely prefer over other lagers.

06-10-2007 22:10:09 | More by JustinOSU99
Grundle20

4.03/5  rDev +35.2%

Appearance:
The beer is clear and golden in color. There's is a good 2 finger head to the beer that stays up for about 20 seconds before being reduced to a film of foam. There's little lacing to note.

Smell:
The scent is relatively clean. There's minor sweetness from the malts but the beer's scent isn't very powerful or exciting.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
As far as macro lager goes this is pretty damn tasty. The beer is basically assembled on a solid backbone of malt sweetness. There's just a touch of what I'm guessing is some hallertauer hops. Light carbonation makes for a rather smooth drink. The finish keeps hints of the sweetness pretty well in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
All flavor aside, macro lager is easily one of the most drinkable beers in the USA and this beer is no exception. This beer on the other hand though isn't quite as bland or light as many other macro lagers and scores a slam dunk on drinkability with that said.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking at this as a world class lager then you will not be impressed but, if you're looking for a quality macro lager though then this beer is in the upper tier. Really not that bad at all.

06-07-2007 22:24:54 | More by Grundle20
TechMyst

3.8/5  rDev +27.5%

Such a high rating for this you ask?! For a lager no less...I had this straight from the 24 oz giant grenade. So for appearance I would have to guess between straw/gold. Aroma is faint malts. This seemed to be a very dry lager; which is odd also. Nothing really great or notable; but the drinkablity is excellent.

06-07-2007 05:33:28 | More by TechMyst
billysj

3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

24oz bottle Red Stripe Jamaican Lager

Pours as a clear yellow with a thin head

Smells of sweet hops. The taste is light with a sweet hoppiness.

The mouthfeel is light bodied with a decent amout of carbonation.

Overall I like this beer...it's sweet and a very drinkable beer. I will definately get this lager again.

05-26-2007 04:46:20 | More by billysj
cjgator3

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a golden yellow color with an initially large fizzy white head that quickly dissapears. The aroma is bready malt with a touch of hops. The taste is pretty smooth and malty with some sweetness and a quick faint bite from the hops. Overall, this is a pretty run of the mill lager that is neither good nor bad but the sweetness does get a little annoying.

05-21-2007 02:47:31 | More by cjgator3
gunnerman

2.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pass me a redstripe mon!!, I had a workmate bring in a 6 pack and we had a few, To me the best part of this beer is the bottle and I did not pour this into any type of glass,that is why the smell I coudnt pick up to well. The over all taste is not to bad it has a bready yeasty taste and a bit of a biscuit as well, for some macro beer this is not to bad, but would never purchase this product, I informed him for the same amount he payed for this he could of purchased a sixer of Dale's pale ale, now that is quality.

05-19-2007 19:13:34 | More by gunnerman
matty

3.58/5  rDev +20.1%

This is a sweet tasting beer....reminds me of a JW Dundee but not quite as sweet .No bitter aftertaste and no watery taste when you get to the bottom of the bottle.A bit pricey but if you have the extra bucks I would recommend you give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

05-07-2007 05:02:13 | More by matty
Clockwork420

2.2/5  rDev -26.2%

I drank some of this with a friend after a Reggae show. Every one there seemed to enjoy it, although they were probably so high that they could have been drinking cat pee and been fine.

I remember it being very easy to drink. Not so smelly. Not skunky like lager should be.

Easily drank even at warmer temperatures but I guess its a preference.

It was an okay beer, but it was too damn expensive.

Too much money for a okay rated beer, its all hype.
The commercials were much better than the beer itself.

HOORAY....Hey weres my money.
NEXT!

05-03-2007 06:27:04 | More by Clockwork420
alexskovan

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

NOTE: This is certainly an "American Macro" style beer, but judged by that standard I found it a pretty good one.

I've seen this beer for years, but always passed it by. I've learned from experience that beer brewed in countries that have no brewing tradition is usually very underwhelming. (Of course, Jamaica, having been a British colony for so long, maybe does have a brewing tradition. For all I know they've been making beer there for as long as we have in America. Not to mention they grow the best coffee in the world!)

On a whim, I picked up a sixer of Red Stripe today, and. . .

Poured clear gold with an impressive head that slowly dropped to a film of bubbles. More aroma than most macros, I can actually smell some sweet malt. Taste is sweet too, ok cold, might get cloying if it warms up. A bit of a hop snap then a clean finish.

All-in-all a nice surprise. An "American" Macro that is superior to most macros made in America. A nice thirst quencher for a hot day.

05-01-2007 15:34:06 | More by alexskovan
bigpatvoodoodad

South Carolina

Not a great beer, yet not that bad. I guess its okay if you have nothing else available, which was the case when I was buying this. I bought 12, but could've just bought 2 and been happy. After the second one, I was VERY tired of this beer. I'm not impressed with this beer at all. Not sure why I thought it was so cool when I was younger....oh yeah, I know, I was STONED back then!

04-30-2007 18:12:36 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
chrisms86

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -9.4%

Smells strongly of hops. The taste is slightly sweet but otherwise dull, almost like drinking club soda out of a pint glass that hadn't been cleaned out since your last beer. Easy to drink and not filling. I could see how this might fit well in a hot climate like Jamaica but if you're anywhere else it is best to avoid.

04-30-2007 02:47:05 | More by chrisms86
Onslow

2.78/5  rDev -6.7%

was the first beer i ever bought once i turned 21 in the united states of America..have had a few times since ..but in the end, who knows..A good tasting,somewhat woody, smooth crisp beer that screams to be drunk on a beach or hot day! Gotta love those Jamaicans!"

04-16-2007 01:42:13 | More by Onslow