1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance- Poured a clear straw yellow with thin white head which disappeared quickly.

Smell- It smells like Budweiser. An earthy smell to it.

Taste- Its not horrible. Again it is similar to Budweiser. had hints of hops and was kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel- Very thin with high carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't horrible. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. If I was throwing a reggae party or something I'd have it around for obvious reasons.

Beerbuddha, Sep 24, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

I think I might have a special spot in my heart for Red Stripe cause my honeymoon in Negril provided me with as much as I could possibly drink. Had it back here in the states recently and figured I'd review it. Pours a straw-copper with no head at all. Nose is grainy malt. Flavor is similar, slightly roasted, but mostly macro-tasting grainy malt. Some light candy in there too. Body is medium with excessively high carbonation. Not a great beer, but I'll take it over the other macros any day.

soupyman10, Sep 19, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I have always liked Red Stripe, as one of my few choice "Lawn-mower" beers, that I partake on a hot summer day.

It is crisp, flavorful, light, and and has a knack for quenching the thirst.

That being said, it does not always stand up to scrutiny.

The smell is a bit mediciny, and raw. The taste has that metallic tinge that all macro's seem to have.

The hops are pretty light even for a lager of this style.

Still, decent enough for the occasional indulgence into the plebian.

Freshie, Sep 18, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -38.4%

12 ounce bottle purchased at Cost Plus World Market in Redlands

Heard a lot of good things about this beer and I do not agree with those people

Poured a medium brown color into my pint glass with a quarter inch white head

Smell was a little gross and weak

No grapsing taste and could not drink too much of this, a little heavy for how light it is

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yuck.

A- Light yellow. Looks like pee. Not much of a head to speak of, some bubbles from the carbonation.

S- Hay. I smell hay and barf. Ok ok, very sweet, almost smells like Heineken to me. A little bit on hops on the scent...

T- Yuck again. I dont like Heineken either, and some people are probably reading this review with their head cocked, but thats really what this reminds me of. Too sweet without much to balance it off. And it gets worse as it warms. A bit of bitterness on the tongue upon swallowing, although I'm not sure why...

M- Thin. Watery.

D- I wouldn't drink another, unless it was free. No, not even then actually.

beerNdarts, Sep 11, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A cool 12oz short bottle with a nice label.

Clear gold and a very decent lace of a head.

Very faint, plain nose. Slight hops and grains.

Very sweet upfront, with a citrus hop flavor. Nice crispness from the carbonation. A a little burn in the throat. Finishes with a nice dry flavor.

Not bad and very refreshing. I would only drink it if I was getting some spicy food or something of that nature.

ghostmech007, Aug 31, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

I served a 12 oz bottle in a challis. A friend, knowing my love of import and microbrews, proudly gave me a bottle rather than a Bud Lite or MGDs which he typically serves.

A: Pours a translucent yellowish-golden color with a tiny head that disappeared before I could walk 15 feet from my kitchen to my couch. I looked but could not even find a hint of lacing.
S: The scent is relatively clean. There is a hint of hops, yeast and most notably alcohol. If malts were used in producing this beer I could not detect them.

T: Tastes better than I expected. Although I could not smell the malts I can taste them. There is a hint of sweetness that complements the crisp flavor of hops. This beer hides the bitterness of the hops and bit of alcohol better than I anticipated making it a pleasure to drink. It’s a bit like drinking a dilute but gentle green tea with a slice of lemon.

M: This is a three bear’s beer. Not to carbonated, not too sweet, not to bitter, not to laden with lingering alcohol aftertaste.

D: It is a refreshing lager that would make a hot, humid stay on a Caribbean beach enjoyable

Comment: Not a beer I would walk a mile to experience but on a hot day if someone gives me a Red Stripe I would offer up a genuine thank you while secretly wishing I had a Siason.

dnichols, Aug 25, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

Picked this up in a 24oz stubby bottle. Pours a medium yellow, nearly golden color with a frothy head. Aroma is mildly sweet with some skunk (probably for good measure). Taste is somewhat bitter and not like a few others in the style that I've had. The aftertaste isn't too bad either. Just tastes different and seems to have the carbonation of a club soda.

Brad007, Aug 18, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Thin white head w/ no retention or lacing. Pale golden body.

S: Pretty much a typical macro lager here. A bit of malt, yeast, and skunk. Zzzz

T: Fortunately, it tastes better than the smell. Nothing stands out, but it's pleasant enough to get by.

M: Light to medium body with medium carbonation. A somewhat pleasant, tart finish.

D: Sessionable and actually pretty refreshing, although I'd rather do better. When stuck in a bar full of macros, this isn't a bad choice.

OKCNittany, Aug 18, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +25.6%

Serving type 12 oz bottle. (boy this is my first time drinking this and it feels like i was just prescribed some beer!)

Appearance: Bright crisp goleden color a familiar status among the macro lagers out there just looks a little more bodied then the others.

Smell: Malty, grainy, not a significant trace of hops here but not bad none the less.

Taste: Smooth somewhat malty a trace of sulfur like I said above not much of a hop flavor but then again this is a lager and it was brewed in Jamica.

Mouthfeel: Nice not as solvent tasting as the other micro lagers out there smoothy malty taste almost like a low alcohol malt liquor.

Drinkability: Very nice I could have a few of these to soften the palate and it also go very nicely with chipotle chicken and garlic mashed potatoes.

Newglarusguy, Aug 17, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +60.9%

I love this beer.

Had it for the first time on my honeymoon last year to Jamaica and this stuff is EVERYWHERE there. 6 AM we arrive and our driver stops on the way to the resort to buy us a Red Stripe...not kidding.

This is a macro, but a really good one. It smells skunky, but for some reason I really enjoy the smell of it. This is infinitely better than Bud or Miller.

Taste is very light and it is highly drinkable. Tastes a bit of rice and corn.

Hooray Beer!

No problem, mon.

Guardian, Aug 14, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Going out in Los Angeles, means you sometimes have to sacrifice in the beer department. Sometimes that means Red Stripe.

Red Stripe is a lot better than most macro lagers. I would never pick up a 6er of it, but sometimes at clubs (I'm a DJ - so I'm at clubs often) this is the best thing going. It has a subtle sweetness that puts it above the BMC and Mexican toss that is ubiquitous here.

sloejams, Aug 11, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Had this last night at the bar. Poured the bottle into a glass mug. It poured a green-yellow body with minimal lacing. Not much of a smell presents...maybe a littel malty. The taste was kind of sweet at first but reduced to the mean in having a slightly alcoholic/bitter taste typical of macros. The mouthfeel was pretty thin and unimpressive. Despite all of this, the beer itself is pretty drinkable; not too filling and tastes decent enough. However, I cannot really see myself drinking too much of it until I get sick of it.

maddogruss, Aug 11, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

Very pale yellow with lot of bubbles and almost no had. Seems a little to light for the style.

Smells like fruit and metal.

Tastes like fruit and metal. Big surprise.

Very true mouthfeel for a lager.

I could drink a lot of this on the beach, I guess, but wouldn't buy it again. That metal taste just gets to me.

bboven, Aug 07, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +33%

Drank this, like an earlier reviewer suggested, straight from the bottle. Therefore, I simply gave a 3.0 average on appearance. I DO love the bottle shape though: it's an attractive stubby bottle with a painted on label. Honestly, that's part of the reason I bought a sixer of it: I homebrew, and I liked the recappable bottle. So, perhaps it deserved a higher rating.

The smell reminded me very much of a "K" apple cider, (of which I am a fan) a light apple fruity odor. Pleasing to the nose, although still nothing special.

The taste was perhaps the best of any American macro lager I've had (although I will admit I have not drank tons). Easy on the palette, malty, and light hints of corn that only served to improve drinkability.

The mouth feel was of acceptable, and not overdone, carbonation. It may even be more drinkable than water.

This beer is really quite excellent for a macro, and I recommend it. There are many better brews out there, but go ahead and give it a whirl. I don't believe you'll hate yourself for it.

EDIT: By the way y'all, I'm reviewing for the style, not how much I really like it. I'm a fan of brown ales, and therefore this just doesn't really do it for me.

linuxn00b2004, Jul 19, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a bright-clear yellow-gold with a quite large head which fades really quickly.

Light grainy aroma with a hint of hops.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. Just slightly sweet with maybe just a hint of green apple. A little grassy hops in the background. Clean, slightly bready finish.

Nicely carbonated with a relatively thin body.

Pretty good drinkability. Refreshing. Would be a great lawnmower beer on a hot day! I rather enjoyed this! Definitely a step up from your average macro.

jimdkc, Jul 18, 2007

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours pale gold into a pint glass, the white head leaving little white lace.

Smell: Not much apart from a bit of sweet malt.

Taste: Very sweet lager, lots of grain with a tiny hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Finishes crisp and dry, hardly lingering in the mouth at all.

Drinkability: I'm betting this would be nice on a summer scorcher, served ice cold.

Slar211, Jul 11, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Won this bottle on a day trip to Blue Mountain while in Jamaica. In fact, my first ever drinking contest (I started drinking late in life).

Poured into a pint glass and a solid white head popped up with irregular bubbles. It fell rather quickly but left a bit of a ring around the edge. Very light straw gold color and a light hop note in the nose. Smooth taste w/o the aftertaste of most macros. Overall, much better than I expected, and drinking it in Jamaica was improved to any versions I've had here. Having it on tap as well, I think quenching qualities of the lager in the muggy heat of Jamaica does influence the taste, but generally a solidly done bear with a light, crisp taste that isn't unpleasant. A new found respect for Red Stripe. Guessing I'll be disappointed if I buy a pint in the states, but if you're local--don't be afraid.

FightingEntropy, Jul 10, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

Forget the pour. Take this straight from the bottle....like a baby. This beer is a light golden color(drawing on memory here) and it has a whispy .5" head that leaves faster than a UFO when you get the camera out. I love this good looking great pouring bottle. For a macro lager....this is definately one of the best. Easy drinkin unnoffensive watered down beer....there is some beer taste here....even a hellasish citrus and a nice lingering aftertaste. Love the piney hops and citrus combo. Good choice anytime...especially when you wanna get there fast...not so much because of alcohol...but because these go down like tic-tacs. Have to revisit...and soon. I can here Bob singing..."this is my message to you ooo ooo".

witster18, Jul 10, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours your standard golden color, with not much head. Aroma is not very interesting or noteworthy. Sweet. This is one of those beers that are just easy drinkers, something you don't have to think about, but won't be repulsed by, either. There's a very smooth lager taste with little skunkiness or corn flavor. It's one of the better macros on the market for my money, and is quite drinkable. Hooray beer!

BBM, Jul 10, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Not much here...a typical Caribean beer that tastes good when eating coconut based foods, near water, listening to island music, but not much in the actual quality department. Light, grainy aroma and flavor, a short finish. But if you’re in the setting that calls for this kind of beer, this is actually one of the better ones. Back home, leave it be.

kimcgolf, Jul 08, 2007
3.23/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a damn bad lager beer, esp. amongst the <import crowd>. At a buck a bottle, this is good summer or session beer. Head over heals better than some Crapona or Heinass. Really, a nice lager beer.

Golden yellow pour, frothy white head. Only drawback was the lack of any real aroma, just some very subtle malt notes.

But yeah, a decent malty brew, basic pilsner taste, nicely balanced with the hops. Little bit on the watery side, no finishing aftertastes. Not offensive, a pretty good mass crowd pleaser for those looking for an <import>.

Good drinkin’ squaty 24 oz bomber bottle at a good price of $2.70. I’d go for a 12 pack of 12ozs anytime.

Vancer, Jul 06, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -17.5%

another good light beer. good for lawnmowing and cookouts. i had this from a tub of iced down beer when i was on a cruise. it was hot as hell out and the beers were cold. these were tasty for that occasion.

not strong in any category makes me place it in the lost amongst the crowd.

worth a try.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 04, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Pale yellow color, with an initial head that fades instantly. Clean grainy aroma with a touch of grassy hops--faint but present. Crisp malt character on first taste, with low bitterness making for a sweet finish. Clean yeast character. No adjunct flavors I can detect. Light bodied.

Better than I remember it, this is actually an alright lager, better than many mass-produced ones. Bland, but no faults.

allengarvin, Jun 29, 2007

A: Light straw with a white head.
S: Phenols, pears.
T: Tiny bitterness, malt, bread.
M: Good carboration, light body.

Good if served very cold on a hot day. Otherwise not really my kind of beer. The kind of light lager that you would expect on sports bars and the like.

Hammarby, Jun 26, 2007