Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -26.2%

Hadn't had one of these in years so tried a bottle at a restaurant. The color is extremely pale yellow/gold. It grows a puffy white big bubbly head that dissipates quickly and...what is lace mon? So it doesn't look all that appealing but the smell suggests a typical weak American lager, bready and wheaty. The first taste susprised me in that there was a heavy presence that seemed initially inconsistent with the very weak appearance and aroma. There is this somewhat heavy slick biscuit idea going on with an odd corn syrup taste. It hints of the classic cereal but this is not too attractive. It has a very fine carbonation but is generally kind of flat. Although you might say this is somewhat refreshing, the syrupy grain flavor is kind of oppressive to me. Not a rewarding sample and otherwise just too whimpy to recommend. I love reggae music, but next time I need a good brew to accompany a Jimmy Cliff album, I'd rather reach for a Circus Boy or something. Ire...

Durge, Nov 26, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +3.4%

Faint hoppy smell of general beer. This beer has a notable sweetness to it, which isn't bad. Some hoppy, grainy flavors, and some swigs had an occasional metallic twinge to them. Mouthfeel fairly thin. More drinkable for washing down food or on a hot day than just sitting around having one.

I dig the stubby bottle and the advertising campaign. This is fairly average though. Reviewed within American Macro Lager, I suppose it's all right. I won't go out of my way though.

Strix, Nov 23, 2007
1.38/5  rDev -53.7%

A - Poured a bright yellow color with a white head that disappears very quickly

S - Malts and corny smell

T - This stuff is not so good not even as good as other macros

M - Theres lots of of carbonation in this one

D - Drinkability is very low with its terrible taste I won't be having another one

armock, Nov 22, 2007

12 oz. stubby brown bottle,

A: Pours a very pale yellow colour, with a nice fizzy, white head a first, but quickly dissipates to nothing. Looks like an other boring macro lager beer.

S: Smells lightly of malt, less corny than other AML's, which is nice, kind of a musky smell.

T: Husky cereal grains upfront, with a bit of apple cider character, no real trace of hops though, a fair tasting beer.

M: Kind of fizzy, watery, high in carbonation, but a better beer body than most macros.

D: An OK imported beer from Jamaica, but probably won't buy again unless I'm on the beach in the Caribbean. Liked the funny commercials after PTI breaks that used to show on ESPN though.

Halcyondays, Nov 19, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +26.8%

(Reviewed while drinking)

Head swirls into a thin film as I pour it into a glass and then quickly dissipates into almost nothing. Aroma is completely covered by the smell of my not so expensive glassware. Color is a slow yellow with visible carbonation around the sides that comes out when drinking. Extremely sweet, malty taste that lingers in the mouth long after a gulp. This may be one of the reasons this is one of my favorite beers: the continuous sweetness present in the entire drinking experience and ease of drinking.

Plus points for adorable little bottle, plus points for hilarious marketing campaign.

wiseguy142, Nov 07, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

120z shorty.Hooray beer!

Pours a yellow straw color, with very little head. Hooray beer!

Smells of grains and mild malt. Corn, rye, wheat uh, I don't know something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste is grainy with a very little amount of floral hop taste.

Smooth bubbly refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a beach drink for sure. I am a Stout and Ale man, but when it is 100 deg. F outside, you need a pilsner, lager, kolsch etc...Not a bad beer.

metallistout, Nov 03, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

A - A 484ml can poured into a mug a pale yellow colour with a few centimetres of white head.
S - Grainy & cooked vegie smell.
T - Again grainy but also with a bit of sweetness. A very faint herbal hop touch.
M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel with a fairly high carbonation.
D - Not something I'd rush back to but if I ever found myself in Jamaica I wouldn't knock this back if there was no other options.
The perfect companion to some Jamaician Jerk Chicken no doubt.

brendan13, Oct 28, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -27.9%

Red Stripe lager pours a stiff head over a clear yellow brew.
Carbonation is extremely active, the nose is slightly sour and
oily, almost, and also of rice and lager yeast. The flavor is slightly
sweet corn and rice, with a sort of boiled vegetable hop kind of
thing balancing it. A really strange off flavor. Mouthfeel is crisp
and surprisingly full considering all those bubbles- also there's
something cloying that coated the inside of my mouth. Not exactly
the most unpleasant brew I've had, but there's something wrong
about it. Wierd. The bottles are awesome though. Almost perfect,
really.

shadow1961, Oct 26, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +37.6%

Appearance: is good especially when poured correctly, but I recomend straigh from the bottle on this one jus as easily.

Smell: The smell is sweet with floral hops, quite inviting.

Taste: much like the smell, sweet floral/fruity, decent taste, a bit of unroasted malt in there.

Mouthfeel: clean and refershinging, good to quench a thirst, with just enough carbonation and hops to help in finish quite well.

Drinkabiliy: By far one of the most drinkable ones I've come across in a while, cold easily pollish off any number of these.

I would say that it is probably the best I've had among what are classified a American macros.

-edit- Since my original review in 2007 I've tried this beer several more times, and recently it seems that the quality has reduced slightly, its not as appealing to me as it had been when i first tried it; Nov 9, 2010

Scribbles, Oct 18, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -5%

A- Pours a golden dark yellow with a quickly disappear white head. Looks like your typical run of the mill macro brew.

S- Smells a faint sweetness, no real strong smells has a typical macro brew smell

T/M- Nice clean sweet taste has more flavor than your typical Bud or Coors. Mouth feel is nice and clear. Can really tell that beer is mostly water with this.

D- This is a standard macro type beer. Has much better flavor than Bud or Coors. I could drink quite a few and not feel the effects that other heaver beers might produce. It is one of my staple beers. When I want a nice cool light tasting beer with some flavor but not a lot. I will turn to this rather than other macro brews

monkeybeer, Oct 17, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Comes in the ugly "stubby" bottle. Better than macro-brewed American lagers, but really more hype than substance. Still not bad, their is nothing that is offensive about this so the drinkability is actually pretty high. Flavor and aroma are typical of an American macro lager but a little better. Mouthfeel is good. Not something I would seek out, but okay in a pinch.

biggmike, Oct 12, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light yellow, quite fizzy. I actually loved the mouthfeel and vibe of the beer. Sometimes, in the hot sun, a pleasant texture and bubbly fizz goes a long way.

Taste is fairly bland. Some hops, maybe some sweeter fruit ...a bit of a malt layer. Not a strong tasting beer by any means. Hard to imagine going to Jamaica and not trying one.

Overlord, Oct 09, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -31.2%

poured an extreely clear, amber yellow with a decent bone white head that really fizzled fast. No lacing, but some really cool carbonation bubbles for about 5 minutes. The reefer addicts probably love it. Aroma was a sharp corn/cane sugar sweetness. Somehting else smells very floral, let's hope it's hops.Yep, it was hops, alothough they fight a losing battle with the sweet, sweet corn/sugar. The aftertaste is almost like taking a 1/2 tsp of cane sugar after. Watery, but that would be average for a tropical lager like this. My sample wasn't cold, cold so that may have affected it's score, but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on a sixer because unless I was in Jamaica, I'm passing on Red Stripe regardless of it's trendy retro stubby bottle

Shadman, Oct 02, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

My wife and I have gone to Jamaica twice now and this beer is the quintessential tourist beer down there. Upon arrival at Montego Bay airport, there are 2 taps - Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light, the latter is not sold in the states. As the style listing indicates, Red Stripe is basically a macro but with a tad more flavor. The appearance is flat yellow with light carbonation and no head retention. Smell and taste are sweet but in an odd way - there is also a slight hint of hops in the aftertaste. Very little body here, but more than say a Miller or Budweiser, which leads to easy drinking for those who like this kind of thing. Me? I'm not a huge fan. Drink it in Jamaica if nothing else is there, otherwise recommendation to avoid.

montageman, Sep 27, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance- Poured a clear straw yellow with thin white head which disappeared quickly.

Smell- It smells like Budweiser. An earthy smell to it.

Taste- Its not horrible. Again it is similar to Budweiser. had hints of hops and was kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel- Very thin with high carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't horrible. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. If I was throwing a reggae party or something I'd have it around for obvious reasons.

Beerbuddha, Sep 24, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I think I might have a special spot in my heart for Red Stripe cause my honeymoon in Negril provided me with as much as I could possibly drink. Had it back here in the states recently and figured I'd review it. Pours a straw-copper with no head at all. Nose is grainy malt. Flavor is similar, slightly roasted, but mostly macro-tasting grainy malt. Some light candy in there too. Body is medium with excessively high carbonation. Not a great beer, but I'll take it over the other macros any day.

soupyman10, Sep 19, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +5%

I have always liked Red Stripe, as one of my few choice "Lawn-mower" beers, that I partake on a hot summer day.

It is crisp, flavorful, light, and and has a knack for quenching the thirst.

That being said, it does not always stand up to scrutiny.

The smell is a bit mediciny, and raw. The taste has that metallic tinge that all macro's seem to have.

The hops are pretty light even for a lager of this style.

Still, decent enough for the occasional indulgence into the plebian.

Freshie, Sep 18, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -38.6%

12 ounce bottle purchased at Cost Plus World Market in Redlands

Heard a lot of good things about this beer and I do not agree with those people

Poured a medium brown color into my pint glass with a quarter inch white head

Smell was a little gross and weak

No grapsing taste and could not drink too much of this, a little heavy for how light it is

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yuck.

A- Light yellow. Looks like pee. Not much of a head to speak of, some bubbles from the carbonation.

S- Hay. I smell hay and barf. Ok ok, very sweet, almost smells like Heineken to me. A little bit on hops on the scent...

T- Yuck again. I dont like Heineken either, and some people are probably reading this review with their head cocked, but thats really what this reminds me of. Too sweet without much to balance it off. And it gets worse as it warms. A bit of bitterness on the tongue upon swallowing, although I'm not sure why...

M- Thin. Watery.

D- I wouldn't drink another, unless it was free. No, not even then actually.

beerNdarts, Sep 11, 2007
2.98/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A cool 12oz short bottle with a nice label.

Clear gold and a very decent lace of a head.

Very faint, plain nose. Slight hops and grains.

Very sweet upfront, with a citrus hop flavor. Nice crispness from the carbonation. A a little burn in the throat. Finishes with a nice dry flavor.

Not bad and very refreshing. I would only drink it if I was getting some spicy food or something of that nature.

ghostmech007, Aug 31, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I served a 12 oz bottle in a challis. A friend, knowing my love of import and microbrews, proudly gave me a bottle rather than a Bud Lite or MGDs which he typically serves.

A: Pours a translucent yellowish-golden color with a tiny head that disappeared before I could walk 15 feet from my kitchen to my couch. I looked but could not even find a hint of lacing.
S: The scent is relatively clean. There is a hint of hops, yeast and most notably alcohol. If malts were used in producing this beer I could not detect them.

T: Tastes better than I expected. Although I could not smell the malts I can taste them. There is a hint of sweetness that complements the crisp flavor of hops. This beer hides the bitterness of the hops and bit of alcohol better than I anticipated making it a pleasure to drink. It’s a bit like drinking a dilute but gentle green tea with a slice of lemon.

M: This is a three bear’s beer. Not to carbonated, not too sweet, not to bitter, not to laden with lingering alcohol aftertaste.

D: It is a refreshing lager that would make a hot, humid stay on a Caribbean beach enjoyable

Comment: Not a beer I would walk a mile to experience but on a hot day if someone gives me a Red Stripe I would offer up a genuine thank you while secretly wishing I had a Siason.

dnichols, Aug 25, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked this up in a 24oz stubby bottle. Pours a medium yellow, nearly golden color with a frothy head. Aroma is mildly sweet with some skunk (probably for good measure). Taste is somewhat bitter and not like a few others in the style that I've had. The aftertaste isn't too bad either. Just tastes different and seems to have the carbonation of a club soda.

Brad007, Aug 18, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Thin white head w/ no retention or lacing. Pale golden body.

S: Pretty much a typical macro lager here. A bit of malt, yeast, and skunk. Zzzz

T: Fortunately, it tastes better than the smell. Nothing stands out, but it's pleasant enough to get by.

M: Light to medium body with medium carbonation. A somewhat pleasant, tart finish.

D: Sessionable and actually pretty refreshing, although I'd rather do better. When stuck in a bar full of macros, this isn't a bad choice.

OKCNittany, Aug 18, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +25.2%

Serving type 12 oz bottle. (boy this is my first time drinking this and it feels like i was just prescribed some beer!)

Appearance: Bright crisp goleden color a familiar status among the macro lagers out there just looks a little more bodied then the others.

Smell: Malty, grainy, not a significant trace of hops here but not bad none the less.

Taste: Smooth somewhat malty a trace of sulfur like I said above not much of a hop flavor but then again this is a lager and it was brewed in Jamica.

Mouthfeel: Nice not as solvent tasting as the other micro lagers out there smoothy malty taste almost like a low alcohol malt liquor.

Drinkability: Very nice I could have a few of these to soften the palate and it also go very nicely with chipotle chicken and garlic mashed potatoes.

Newglarusguy, Aug 17, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +60.4%

I love this beer.

Had it for the first time on my honeymoon last year to Jamaica and this stuff is EVERYWHERE there. 6 AM we arrive and our driver stops on the way to the resort to buy us a Red Stripe...not kidding.

This is a macro, but a really good one. It smells skunky, but for some reason I really enjoy the smell of it. This is infinitely better than Bud or Miller.

Taste is very light and it is highly drinkable. Tastes a bit of rice and corn.

Hooray Beer!