Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Dubblebock

3.9/5  rDev +30.9%

Red Stripe is a great summertime beer. Perfect for those long, hot afternoons on the back porch, catching up with friends or reading that summertime potboiler that you bought from Amazon. In fact, Red Stripe may have to go down as one of my favorite summer selections.

Pours well, with a bubbly head and a lot of effervescence. It retains it's carbonation all the way through the glass. Odor is distinctly average.

The taste is characterized by a light biscuity flavor, all sweet malts with a slight corn syrup tinge. Crisp and refreshing. Light hops give a twist of bitter to the back of the tongue. Very, very smooth going down.

Good mouthfeel, extremely drinkable. Better than most adjunct lagers, IMO. I was pleasantly surprised by Red Stripe. They have a frisky beer to go with their cutesy advertising campaign. All in all, a good beer.

08-16-2004 20:55:58 | More by Dubblebock
mynie

3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Hoppy smell, pale but pretty golden color. It's best to drink these out of their super cool shortie bottles, though; there's really no need to pour them into a fancy glass when you got such a cute little bottle.

Taste great! It starts out with an almost grainy sweetness and follows through with a really unique hoppy bitterness that has a citrus flavor. Really, really nice.

The body is a little thin when drank from a glass, another reason to drink it straight from a bottle. The carbonation is fairly light and makes these little guys easy to drink.

08-11-2004 00:58:45 | More by mynie
Hunter

Arizona

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

I tried this once years ago, and the unfavorable decision I gave it then kept me from it until today, when once again I bought a beer I don't normally try but it was on sale (I'm such a Scot).

I like the cute little bottles. Make fridge storage a bit easier than the longnecks.

Red stripe is red in label only. the beer is the palest of straw yellow colors. Could give Bud Light a run for it's money there.Thick head of shock-white foam subsides quickly. Very little by way of carbonation.

Aroma is typical of an adjunct lager. Smells of corn and rice, whether they're in there or not.

An initial sweetness in the mouth gives way to a very clean, nearly non-existent taste of malt, water, and styrofoam.

Mouthfeel is water-thin, with a styrofoam aftertaste.

Verdict? Not as bad as I remembered it. I wonder what I found so distasteful before, because there's really NOTHING here, good or bad. A good summertime quaffer for those hot days you want something inoffensive to drink and forget about.

08-06-2004 23:08:40 | More by Hunter
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

I guess I realized that in college, this was a great beer to drink out of the bottle on keg nights, not in a pint glass in a restaurant. This was literally as clear as water. For some reason, I always kind of figured that it was a fairly dark lager. I can however see how it is a great beer to drink on a hot beach. Very crisp and refreshing for a "drink", but not satisfying for a "beer".

08-01-2004 04:19:10 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
TagoMago

3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Presentation: 12. oz stubby Carribean-style bottle, poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Light gold with a slight chill haze. Pours initially with a very nice, vibrant head which then fades to a sparse lacing.

Smell: Grainy malts with some faintly noticeable hops in the background. Some sulpher and cooked vegetable notes are present as well.

Taste: Light bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is rather vibrant. There is an upfront sweetness found with this lager that combines with some mildly tart, citrusy hops. The beer finishes rather dry with only some residual graininess in the finish.

Overall: This is an all-around good lager beer, great for hot weather drinking. This beer is very refreshing, quenching, and quite smooth on the palate. It is also quite flavorful for being only a simple lager.

07-29-2004 06:19:36 | More by TagoMago
baugherlager

3.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance of this beer is average it is very light colored. I poured this into and glass and it did not leave any head. All that remained was a thin white ring. There is not much of an aroma other than a slight grainy smell with an almost non existant hop aroma.

The taste is the same as the smell except for the hops. The hops comes through a little more and leaves a slight bitter taste that lets you know you are drinking beer.

Mouthfeel isn't anything special as it warms up it has a slight oily feel.

I would say that it was very good with barbeque, and pizza. It is a nice beer to have while grilling out on a hot summer day but I'll stick to Hoegaarden wit bier as my summer beer of choice.

07-25-2004 20:40:08 | More by baugherlager
Roderick

Kentucky

RED STRIPE

Just tried this last week and now its my outdoor beer of choice.
I love the stubby little bottle because it reminds me of some of the American brews my grandfather drank when I was a kid.

This brew is light in color and the smell is a kinda sweet maltyness that is crisp and faint.
The taste is the same malty crispness of the smell with light carbonation and VERY little aftertaste. If your planning on BBQing out with friends and slamming some brews this beats the hell out of anything Budweiser or the other American big brewery's are putting out.
All in all I think this a fine little summer beer and I will be buying more in the coming months.

07-25-2004 18:00:06 | More by Roderick
kindestcut

2.08/5  rDev -30.2%

So, I was at a function and this was the only Non-Bud beer available. I have actually never had a Red Stripe so i decided to pour one and take notes on my napkin.

The pour was very pale and yellow. It's a bright beer that pours with a very frothy, white head. The aroma is weak. What I could perceive smelled very bland...mostly grainy.

I wasn't very impressed with the flavor. I am not one to totally slam a beer because it happens to not be a brandywine. Hell, I love a pale lager from time to time to time and maybe another time as well. But Red Stripe has a taste that doesn't really sit well with me, a faint sweetness that should either be let out of its dungeon or done away with entirely. Otherwise, this is a very weak, crisp beer.

The drinkability is quite good, if it happens to be a very hot day and your tongue is parched. I wouldn't really want to have another but hey, I've had far worse beers.

PS - I do love the little squat bottles, though.

07-21-2004 16:41:06 | More by kindestcut
Gagnonsux

3.13/5  rDev +5%

Bought a sixer on sale for $4.99.

Appearance- Pale macro color, looks a lot like a light beer, maybe slightly more golden.

Smell- Mainly mildly sweet malts mixed with the familiar adjunct smell.

Taste- Fairly average. Better than a lot of it's American macro counterparts, but still not a great brew. Taste is more full than appearance would indicate. Still I don't want to picture what Red Stripe Light would be like.

Drinkability- Easy enough to drink, works well as a thrist-quencher type brew. Overall, I wouldn't say this beer is worth it's normal import price.

07-18-2004 20:41:54 | More by Gagnonsux
bignick

2.8/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is one cool looking bottle. The smell and taste are not quite as appealing. I detect sort of a skuny maltiness in both. The beer as very light-bodied, so it goes down very easily. There is little aftertaste. All in all, this is a thirs quenching, but a mediocre lager.

07-09-2004 04:56:34 | More by bignick
mschofield

3.28/5  rDev +10.1%

Almost medium gold, topped with one finger white head, bits of partial lace rings.
Some grassy/spicy hop, theres not much, but there is some present in the aroma.
More toffee and caramel malt flavors that I expect from the style, plenty of rice character - comes out more the more you have it. Much better on draft, more metallic from the bottle.
Light to medium bodied, smooth lager body. Works good in the Carribean climate, starts ok, but I got really tired of this after a couple of days.

06-21-2004 19:40:15 | More by mschofield
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Stripe is a beer that I've been aware of for decades, but haven't had the opportunity to try until now. I like the bottle. Is there any other beer bottle that's stubbier than this one?

I've seen lighter lagers, but not by much. Pale straw yellow, clear with the exception of a few dozen small floaters. The head is shockingly white and wispy, but slightly tacky. It's lasting longer than expected and is actually leaving some lace.

The aroma is pretty nasty. Hops are present along with a sour, pungent, rotting vegetable smell. I hope that the flavor doesn't follow suit or I won't be finishing the bottle. It's a little better on the palate, but not much. It isn't oppressively bad (see Bud Light), but neither is it something that appeals to me in any way, shape or form. On a good note, I do detect a little lemoniness and the finish is mercifully short. Thin mouthfeel with no trace of fizziness.

Red Stripe is drinkable if I keep a few things in mind. Chill the crap out of it, don't smell it and pop the cap only when really, really hot and thirsty. The fact that a light version exists frightens me.

06-14-2004 22:34:27 | More by BuckeyeNation
beertaster13

Washington

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a frothy white head that is quite impressive. The smell is clean to the nose, slight grain but otherwise very clean. Taste is very semi sweet, like a lemonade bitterness mixed with a clean sweet light flavor. Perfect light blend makes this a great lager to wash down a meal. A very drinkable lager, goes very well with Caribbean Jerk Chicken and rice. I would pick up this again when in the mood for a lager or to go with a Carribean meal.

06-13-2004 04:10:02 | More by beertaster13
kegerator

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

great session beer no doubt.
kind of tasted like sam adams and yunegling blended together. it was smooth and easy to drink like yuengling but had that slight bitterness that reminded of sam but wasn't overly bitter. nothing complex with this one, straight forward basic lager, it tastes better when you drink it in Jamaica but what wouldn't seem to taste better...

06-09-2004 20:52:15 | More by kegerator
konabrewer

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I have always loved the bottle and have never really thought about the beer too much until this weekend.

I like the mellow flavor of imported lager it carries with it. Still it lacks the balance that makes lager drinking so easy. This one is not that easy. Higher alcohol and bold "corn" husky character lend to its uniqueness. a little sweet too, but not in a negative way.

Very drinkable for me in the sun on the hammock.

Perfect 'island' beer and hey I am on an island.

nice and easy with out being too easy

06-07-2004 03:59:50 | More by konabrewer
oracle

2.63/5  rDev -11.7%

I very much like the small compact bottle design that Red Stripe uses for it's beer. In fact I probably like the bottle more than the beer itself.

Poured a very pale amber with about 1 inch head that dispated quickly, in much the same way soda pop does. This lager left no lacing whatsoever.

There was a distinct unpleasant aroma present upon opening, but after pouring and letting stand for about 2 minutes this became much less pronounced.

Taste was thin and crisp, as most lagers are, with very little to commend or condemn about it. A small amount of malt and a faint hint of hops.
In my opinion, there was too much carbonation in the beer. It got in the way of what flavor there was.

All in all, not a bad lager, but certainly not worth the import price they charge for it around here.

06-06-2004 01:22:24 | More by oracle
coasterfreak75

3.3/5  rDev +10.7%

The pour was light golden yellow with a half inch head that quickly dissapated and left a small white ring around the top of the beer.

The smell was very light and hard to pick up. What I could pick up was acidic with a slight malt and fruit overtone.

The drink started with carbonation tickling the tongue and a kick of malt sweetness. The middle some hops kicked in, but not overpowering just light. The finish was clean, crisp and non lingering.

All and all this was a refreshing lawnmower beer, like most of the pale lagers it just lacked the punch that I look for in a beer. Still it was very drinkable, I will probably keep some in my fridge for those hot summer days.

05-03-2004 04:28:41 | More by coasterfreak75
cptnjck101

2.13/5  rDev -28.5%

Red Stripe is a decent enough beer. Goes down very smooth. A pretty standard lager, nothing to write home about though. My biggest problem was that no matter how much of this stuff I drank, it never even BEGAN to give me a buzz. For the price, I'll take some Sam Adams anyday and at least get my drunk on.

05-02-2004 16:11:37 | More by cptnjck101
HappyHourHero

2.58/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a big white head that looked and sounded like soda poured on ice. Faded to a film rather quickly. Sweet light malt aroma with a little skunky hop in there. Very light pale yellow color (gingerale) with lots of tiny bubbles floating to the surface. The body isn't as watery as I remembered, definitely in the lager range. The flavor is a little sweet but tamed by a decent hop bite, not all that much going on, finish is very light. Not much to this beer, but I do like the little bite it has.

05-02-2004 14:42:13 | More by HappyHourHero
ChrisBowers

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

This stuff is the absolute perfect beach companion, especially in its native country of Jamaica. I've drank it occasionally here in the states, but my memories of it will always be fondest in Jamaica. In Jamaica, it can readily be found for 50J (about $1) at beachside "bars" and guys selling it out of coolers straped to the front of bicycles. One of the first things I loved... easy access. Second, the bottle... the stubbie just seems to fit in your hand so well, and with the screen painted label, it never flakes off when it gets wet.

Serve this ice cold, on a beach. Don't bother with it anywhere else as it'll be a waste. I'm not normally a lager person, but this is a very smooth drinking beer with a touch of hops and sweetness in the finish. Had it on tap there as well, not quite as good as the bottles, a little too overcarbonated. Smell is quite nice, not of swampy adjunct that you'd expect from some of these caribbean lagers.

04-15-2004 18:45:27 | More by ChrisBowers
woemad

Washington

2.17/5  rDev -27.2%

12 oz stubbie had at the Viking for $2.75. Ordered this primarily because I'd never had a beer from the Carribean.

Poured a pale yellow color with a fizzy white head that dropped rapidly. No lacing to speak of.

Vaguely skunky odor. Slightly malty odor competing with the skunk aroma.

Taste is similar to the smell. Vaguely skunky, with a slight malty sweetness. There's a little bit of hoppiness at the end, but not enough to save this from being mundane at best.

Mouthfeel is thin and semi-watery. Not really surprised by this.

This is a crappy macro-lager-tasting beer that comes from Jamaica instead of middle America, like the usual macro-tasting crap I've come across. I ordered this for the novelty value. I see no reason to ever do so again.

04-04-2004 09:10:40 | More by woemad
UncleJimbo

2.78/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz, fat brown bottle, capped.

This lager poured a fizzy yellow color with white foam that settles but clings to the inside of the glass lightly. The smell was mild: lightly malty with a touch of grain and perhaps a touch of citrus. The taste was lightly malty with a sharp hop finish and aftertaste. The mouthfeel was crisp and dry with medium-light body and good, sharp carbonation. This is a light, easy drinking lager, perhaps suited for hot weather imbibing.

04-03-2004 17:56:33 | More by UncleJimbo
Billolick

2.28/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle, no freshness dating. Light and clear, light-medium body and higher carbonation. Flash of malt, minimal hops.. Chalky dryness and a hint of nutmeg or butter scotch in the finish. Macro-swill from Jamaica. Pretty lame stuff, lawn mower brew at best

03-27-2004 02:13:52 | More by Billolick
maccroz

Cambodia

3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

This isn't a "bad" beer. It's unique, but for my ale-loving palate it just ain't all that impressive. It is light, and it is only slightly more complex than a cheap domestic beer. I'm sure it tastes a lot better when it's 90 degrees out, the waves are rolling in, and reggae music is blasting from a bar in Kingston, but it is not an everyday beer to savor and enjoy.

03-26-2004 02:49:49 | More by maccroz
PatandDavid

3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

Wow, I really don't want to be so harsh on this beer...my favorite musician is known to enjoy this beer, so every so often, I order one up, especially if I have heard if he is putting out a new album, etc. Anyway, I had a bottle of this the other night at 'Bones. I think this beer is drinkable, it's not totally awful. I have to think of it in relationship to other Pale Lagers and think about how it compares to them...Anyway, Pour was clear yellow. I managed to get a 1/2 inch of white froth on top. I detected a grainy, grassy aroma. The mouthfeel was thin to medium, and I thought the overall taste was slightly appley. Yes, I will get this again sometime.

03-25-2004 14:11:14 | More by PatandDavid