Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
1.84/5  rDev -37.8%

Reviewed 12/7/2005 (12oz bottle from 24 variety pack):

Pours a body that is pale yellow in color, with a big, fairly quickly diminishing head. Some malts and wheat in the aroma. Has a slightly malty taste, with no aftertaste. Not a very complex flavor.

1.06/5  rDev -64.2%

They've started selling this one all across music venues in London.. Ouch its pretty bad in many ways. Horrible metallic after taste, meaty taste during the pint quite a thick lager as lagers go, tastes a bit like an off Stella. Bad, bad, bad. Better alternatives.

3.55/5  rDev +19.9%

I was surprised at how low the scores were for the beer. While I'm not claiming it's something extraordinary, I find it an excellent beer to pick up when I want something cheap, low on the abv and not over the top.

Appearance is very average a pale yellow straw color with little head.

The smell is your basic lager type of smell, not a whole lot going on, fairly average.

The taste is quite pleasant if you ask me, nothing special but a nice balance taste with a bit of a citrus/fruit flavor that seems to last throughout. Almost what I'd call a "red taste" if that's possible.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavier than you'd expect from this type of style.

Drinkability is where this beer really comes through (TO ME), it's quite easy to drink, and putting away a 6er of this stuff isn't going to have you completely gone.

2.17/5  rDev -26.7%

Um. Have to admit I'm not anticpating reviewing this but nevermind. Every dog has its day. It pours pale gold, with a foamy white head and looks more interesting in the glass than in the commercial. It smells....I should leave it at that. It smells like vacuum cleaner dust. The taste is tinny cardboard, with lemons, herbs, a slight pepper finish, and a lot of bland. The mouthfeel is soft, with more body than you'd expect. Or than I would. It's drinkable only if its very, very hot. This is a mild but ugly beer.

2.23/5  rDev -24.7%

Well this beer tastes like an American lager brewed way south.

Pours about a one finger head. Head fizzles down quickly. No lacing Color is straw yellow, not impressed so far.

Smell is of grain, as is the taste. Very little hop or malt presence.

Mouthfeel, is 'sticky'. Doesn't leave a pleasant feeling in the mouth.

Overall, please spend your money on something of the craft genre. I put this in a BYO 6 pk so it wasn't too expensive, but I would never buy this again. I guess all in all, it was worth a the try, because I think every beer deserves a chance, but I will still stay away from it.

Take Budweiser down to Jamaica and package it in a grenade shaped bottle, and there you go it's Red Stripe! The funky bottle is the only good aspect of this swill. Qualities are just like our typical american pale lagers. If you enjoy this one save yourself some cash and buy domestic.

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

I got a 6 pack of this tonight because my local beer store didnt have what I really wanted. That said, I used to drink A LOT of this stuff, And I have a whole collection of the bigger bottles for my homebrew.

Lets see how I like it now after over a year or drinking nothing but craft brew, and homebrew.

Pours a very pale yellow, with little head, and no lace. Smells like malt and not a lot else, tastes about the same, very simple beer. Feels good, well carbonated, but not overly so, and very very drinkable, still a damn good beer.

2.83/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear straw yellow color. Poured a one finger white head that was fizzy and retained briefly. No noticeable lacing. Decanted continuously.

S: Wet, slightly sweet malt and a light hop bitterness.

T: Sweet malt with a slighty bitter. Earthy grains and corn in the background.

M: Light body, thin and crisp. Ample carbonated. Finished clean.

D: Undoubtably drinkable. High level of carbonation made it more filling than it really should be.

2.56/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell is sweet, nothing that really stands out, and somewhat difficult to distinguish anything special here.

Really rough sweet taste, not anything to be desired here. Very little sense of malts and hops, they're masked by a few really harsh agents that provide not only an off-taste, but a displeasuring swallow.

All in all, really not one for the taking.

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pale straw color with active carbonation from relatively small bubbles. Head sticks around for a bit as a thin film at the top. Leaves no lace.

S: Not much going on. Straw, grass and a little sugar.

T: Sweet, with flavors of malt and some corn. Bitterness is just enough to keep the beer from being too sweet, but brings only a slight metallic taste to the table. Finishes clean.

M: Light body is a bit too fizzy.

D: A decent session beer. Not necessarily worth the premium price.

2.37/5  rDev -19.9%

A-Light straw color. No head retention at all, very little lacing.

S-Smells like BMC.(Bud Miller Coors) Enough said.

T-Watery, with a hint of hops at the end. can detect kind of a fruity taste?

M-Light and watery.

D-Could drink a couple of these I guess, like BMC. Or with a pizza.

I liked the bottle. it was different.

2.06/5  rDev -30.4%

Better than macro-brewed American lagers, but really more hype than substance. Poured golden yellow and thats how it tasted. This whole beer is offensive to good beer. Flavor and aroma are typical of an American macro lager but a little better. Not a fan.

3.05/5  rDev +3%

poured this 12 oz. brown stubby bottle into a pils glass. No date. The body was clear and golden. The large white head was pithy and had a bit of staying power.

Smell was vegetal. Sour/tart. Cooked carrots.

Taste was light crisp hops (did I say light). Vegetal sweetness. Semi-dry with a quick finish.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium. Smooth. Solid Amer. Lager.

3.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Of the traditional "Premium American" style lagers, this brew is at the top of my list, albeit a short list.

This lager pours straw yellow and has about one finger of clear to white head that leaves some minimal lacing. Nose is of a medium malt aroma with some sweet DMS in there that works just fine. Hops are a minimal component of the aroma. Flavor is of a malty sweetness quite similar to the way is smells. Hop flavors are minimal. Flavor tends to finish slightly acidic with a bit of a sting. Mouth feel is medium-light and carbonation is high. Overall this is a nice refreshing lager that to me is what lager should taste like. Next time you're going for a MGD or Heineken, grab a Red Stripe instead.

Prost.

2.99/5  rDev +1%

A: Pale straw yellow with a one finger head that doesn't last a long time. Very little lacing.

S: Dank weed. Don't know how else to describe it. After a few more sniffs, I could pick up the pale malt (which comes through more strongly as the beer warms).

T: Pale malt comes through pretty well, with the grassy hop flavor finishing it off. Overall, not too bad-- even pretty good.

M: Light and crisp, with lingering sweetness from that pale malt. Tiny bit of alcohol fuming, very tiny.

D: Overall, this is pretty good and if this was my main option in the Caribbean I'd be fine with that (IF Guinness Foreign Extra weren't available, of course). I can see why it was Bond creator Ian Fleming's beer of choice. Bond even partakes of a Red Stripe in the old novels. This isn't worth a whole sixer, but it would make a decent addition to a mixed session sixer.

3.43/5  rDev +15.9%

Red Stripe is a good, dependable, beer. One of my absolute favorite mainstream lagers.

Good taste, and nice aroma. Very drinkable because it is such a good common beer.

Don't really understand how it symbolizes Jamaica, but it is a damn good beer. Maybe if I try smoking some sinsemilla with it, I would understand.

2.8/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Red Stripe is a typical lager with a slight citrus scent. It is slightly smoother and more drinkable than U.S. macrobrews, and it doesn't have the bitterness I associate with a lot of imported lagers.

There were two beers I'd wanted to try for a while: Red Stripe and Smithwick's. My wife brought me one of each so I could try them while watching McCain vs Obama II. While I will be buying Smithwick's with some regularity now, I probably won't be buying Red Stripe except when I want the bottles as a conversation piece.

1.33/5  rDev -55.1%

Ya this was one of the worst beers I've had in while, and yet its priced as a premium beer here in Canada...wtf mate

Colour is light straw yellow with a decent head. No lacing of the glass.

The smell is skunk's ass 100%. Corn smell, wet cardboard

Tastes sour like rotten eggs, grainy, I can detect hops to tell that it is indeed a beer

Watery, not carbonated enough, tastes flat.

Sorry to shit all over this beer but I paid $12 for 6 and could only drink 2

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

I noticed a lot of people saying that this beer is "skunky". Very true. This beer has a certain skunked quality too it. The biggest struggle I had, was getting it in my head that the "skunky" taste was the taste was that they were going for. I'm not saying that they intentionally brewed a skunked beer, it's just a part of the experience with this beer. An acquired taste though for sure. I little citrusy too. Smells delicious as well.

1.73/5  rDev -41.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a bright yellow color and a clear texture. A surprising amount head for a terrible beer.

S: A little grainy, a little hoppy, a little skunky. And that's it.

T: Like the smell, the taste was skunky. Some hops and grains, but mainly this is a watery, tasteless mess.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation and a slick finish. A bit flat-bodied.

D: I got this beer because I hadn't had it since college and couldn't remember what it tasted like. It should've stayed that way. This is a totally uninteresting piece of brewing. Not bad for beer flavored water, though.

3.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a pint bottle this brew appears a golden color with a fleeting craggy head. No lacing. Smell is malts and wet corn. Sweet grass. Taste is sweet and malty, some grainy bitterness. More flavorful than almost any American Macro you'll find. Mouthfeel is a refreshing and the beer overall is a highly drinkable macro.

2.77/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale gold, thin layer of rice crispy like head - 3.25, S: Mildly malty with sweet corn aroma - 3.50, T: Watery grain, a touch of sharpness from what I imagine are the hops, quite a standard lager - 2.50, M: Thin and fleeting - 2.50, D: As Red Stripe was originally from my hometown of Galena, Illinois many many years ago, I had to review this beer, sadly it was a big disappointment. Lacked much in terms of good qualities and the thin mouthfeel really stood out, not one I'll be going back to - 2.50

3.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours golden with a quickly dissipating fizzy white head.

Smells of light malt and some hop aroma.

Tastes of light grain, slight bitterness, with a raw/harsh grain finish. Funny enough, this all kinda works. There is a level of citrus in this, not sure to what degree (so -- light).

Light carbonated mouthfeel. Good beer for spicy grilled food. Better hot weather beer for sure. Not too bad for a macro style with a bit of a twist.

3.56/5  rDev +20.3%

I recently spent a week at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica and I drank beaucoup amounts of Red Stripe. I'm not normally a big fan of Lagers, but Red Stripe is definitely my favorite Caribbean brewed beer. It goes well with anything, it pours a little more golden brown than your typical American Lager and it offers a little more in body and taste. I could (and did) drink this stuff all day.

2.88/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 24oz brown bottle.

Pours a light golden yellow color with a 2 finger head which dissipates very quickly down to just a very thin layer.

Aroma is grainy and malty with a light grassy smell. There are some very faint smells of yeast and corn as well.

Taste is mostly of grains and malt. Some slight corn meal flavors are present too. There is some slight bitterness on the finish. Nothing spectacular. Mouthfeel is ok, lots of carbonation.

Overall not bad, but not great.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited