Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -4%

Pours a pale, straw yellow. It's crystal clear. Head dissipates very fast.
There's not much aroma. A little bit of sweetness followed by some faint skunkiness.
It actually tastes okay. Sweeter than most mass produced commercial lagers. The skunkiness isn't as evident as I thought it would be. Not bad.
This is highly carbonated and actually quite smooth.
Easy to drink, crisp, and refreshing. A nice thirst quencher.

These are great at cookouts and any other outdoor event. I'll take a Red Stripe over the usual macro lagers any day, but definitely nothing I'll buy on a regular basis.

wolffman17, Jul 29, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +22.2%

You look ugly!
Here, have a Red Stripe!
Now you look sexy!
Hooray beer!

Great commercials by the way. Red Stripe is my choice of throwing back for a good time. It puts you in a good mood, isn't offensive in any shape or form, and for a Marco no adjunct corn taste at all. The appearance is very carbonated fizzy yellow, but the smell is quite sweet and floral. The taste is light, but like I said above, isn't offensive at all and is something to have a good time with. Ya know, won't put you outta commission, but not your typical mass produced lager. The mouthfeel suggests belching will follow. Drinkability is its high point, easy enough to drink like water and won’t make you cringe. Throw back about four of these and it is some kind of nice. Floral and sweet, that’s where I'll leave it.

MusicmanSD, Jul 28, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -14.1%

The pour is straw yellow to gold with a white head that fades to a thin island. The nose has unpleasant corn and lemon aromas, so I drinking the others out of the cool looking bottle. The taste a bit better, with grassy hops, grains, sweet malts, citrus, with a club soda finish. The mouthfeel is less watery than a lot of macro lagers which is nice, but it has a rough finish. Awesome commercials, great bottle, boring beer.

goschool, Jul 22, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +29.6%

I can't believe I never tried this one sooner. I'd always see it, but never pay it much attention. I have to say that it doesn't come across as anything special. It is a macro and to most people it would fall into the "typical macro lager" category. However, I really enjoyed this brew.

The appearance is very clear; it doesn't show too heavy of a body. The smell is somewhat average...rather citrusy, I think. The taste is very good to me, though. It has a very sharp, but clean and refreshing taste. It's not strong. I think the mouthfeel is actually pretty good. Very nice. I rate this high on drinkability...because by my standards, I could drink it all night.

This is definitely a brew that originated somewhere warm/hot, like Jamaica because it would be very refreshing after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

eb003, Jul 14, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +2%

Pours a pale urine-yellow color that is very similar to most other macros, just a little paler. There is a small, white fizzy head that is a bit clumpy looking. This beer has a corn-like aroma, with a hint of citrus.

There is a small lemon flavor to this beer, finished with a very slight hoppy aftertaste. Refreshing taste, especially for a macro. There is a very light mouthfeel throughout.

This isn't half-bad for a macro beer. It's not a very good beer overall, but it is definitely pretty drinkable. Pop one open while mowing your lawn.

ArcTeryx, Jul 11, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Probably my favorite of the typical American Macro Lager. Still not a beer worth writing home about. The appearance is pretty unimpressive although the large head was "okay". No lacing. Smell is pretty weak like all Macros, just a tiny hint of hops. Taste is crisp and refreshing with a bit of a watery aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty bad, watery with medium carbonation. The beer still is pretty drinkable because it’s so easy to drink and it’s pretty decent for a Macro.

boblog, Jul 10, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance - Medium-light yellow. Clear and bubbly. Very thick foamy white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Maybe a little stronger than most macro lagers. Pale malt and corn. Might be a little lemon. True to style.

Taste - Watery. Light pale malt sweetness. Slightly funky corn. Just a hint of lemony hops. Stronger flavor than most macro lagers. Mildly unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Thin and crisp.

Drinkability - A little bit of a different take on the macro lager. Not different enough or good enough to justify a price premium. The bottle's kind of cool though, and it is from Jamaica.

scaliasux, Jul 07, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Advertising works, what can I say? My friend and I were sitting in our TV room and the Red Stripe commercial came on, so today we decided to try it out. Obviously was not expecting much, but..."Hooray beer!"

Poured out of the short, stubby, ugly little bottle into a Pokal:

A: Pale, straw colored, overly yellowish beer. Piss is the right way to describe the appearance. Not much of any head at all except for some excess carbonation that disappeared pretty quick and left no lacing. Pure white, left a miniscule crown around the top. Nothing really visible within the beer, except maybe a few bubbles of carbonation here and there.

S: I have trouble smelling anything actually. What I do get is adjuncts, some rice maybe, sweeter smelling than you'd expect in the maltiness. Little skunkiness to it as well.

T: Generally, it's like every other macro I've ever had. Perhaps a bit like a light beer, and carrying some of the sweetness I smelled earlier. Other than that, not much taste, and what's there is rice, malts, adjuncts, yeast presence, to be sure, and some hops on the back end. Not unpleasant but certainly not something to go out of your way for.

M: Like water. Minimal carbonation or bite from the hops. I can barely feel it on my tongue.

D: Sure it's drinkable, it's a macrolager. I wouldn't pay too much for it though. In fact the one I'm drinking was free...but yeah, you know the deal if you've ever had a macro before. Nothing distinguishing here so it's as drinkable as the next.

InDreams, Jul 07, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +6.1%

this is an interesting brew in many aspects ... first the bottle looks like containing some meds from the local pharmacy ... however, the logo is lively and suggests something different ...
the smell is unusual and does not suggest adherence to the "Reinheitsgebot" ... neither does the taste which is somewhere between a pale lager and a fruity export, not too sweet but still rather sticky ... surprisingly the stickyness is rather in the taste than in the mouthfeel ... so on overall I would consider this a valid brew (even though not on a daily basis) ...

Daredevil, Jun 12, 2006
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

After a party there was a six packin my fridge and being in the mood I popped one after not having one in a few months. In a pils glass and served pretty cold. Smells like a clean lager with some malt hintings but no hop note. Crystal clear yellow fizz with a slight head that fades quickly. Taste is better than most adjunct lagers but it lacks any toasty flavors in better lagers but this will serve the purpose of making you pee.

Higravity, Jun 11, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

this beer is specially made for a hot country like Jamaica, is refreshing, but not that impresive as a i thought it would be, it gave me a sensation of wanting more out of it while still tasting.

aroma is not that impresive, smells 100% Lager type
just a bit sweet.
average taste: malt, hops, etc

bunbury, Jun 09, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I try to keep my reviews simple. This beer has a nice smell nice everything, nothing specific i want to point out in this review except the complexity of the beer. All of my taste buds were involved. I tasted sweetness then hop bitterness. I love a beer that gives me a lot of flavors to work with. No flavor was really strong and left me wanting just a tiny bit more is the only bad thing i can say about it.

jasonjlewis, Jun 08, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a clear, pale yellow with a *lot* of carbonation and a huge, pillowy head. Nose was pretty clean; some rich, sweet malt but that's about it except for maybe a bit of toastiness. Nice flavor; decent amount of malt and some caramel taste, but lacked significant depth or character. Almost had some subdued Bass-like tones. Above average for style. Mouthfeel and drinkability were okay.

An interesting beer. If your benchmark is a typical American macro lager, this compares well. If it's some of the world-class lagers, not so much. Still, it's not without its charm. Oh, and I love those stubby, painted-label bottles.

shererjt, Jun 08, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -2.4%

poured from that distinctive bullet-shaped shorty bottle into pint glass
pale yellow with fizzy head that fizzled completely within 10 seconds.
light corny smell that could be malt.
initial taste is similar to the smell with with a bit of grain and faint lemon, some metallic hop finish, bitterness that gives way to some fruity sweetness.
mouthfeel is thin and marked mainly by astringent fizz, a texture that does little for my palate.
and yet for a macro-brewed lager, it isn't as bad as some domestic choices in the same category. the poor mouthfeel limits my consumption of these though...

villainchiwwin, Jun 07, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Red Stripe has your average beer smell once you pop off the cap, though it still is fairly pleasant. Once poured, there's a nice head which, as mentioned before, dissipated rather quickly. The beer is a pale, golden color. The taste isn't anything that'll make you say "Wow", but it's smooth, not too bitter and not very dry at all, with a nice finish that doesn't linger on for too long and ruin the experience. It's definitely a step up from most American lagers, which tend to be a bit too bitter sometimes, flat in flavor and are a little too carbonated. Red Stripe seems to do what it does well. Overall, it's a drinkable beer meant not to be anything spectacular, but it makes for a good drinking experience. Plus, who cannot love the bottle?

AncientFlounder, Jun 04, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours golden with a pretty average head. Smells is your basic "beer" smell. Taste is grainy and sweet, with a touch slightly bitter hops with a tiny bit of a fruity/funky yeasty taste in the finish. Mouthfeel is average as well. Drinkability is pretty high, but the more I drank the more funky taste I picked up, so it got pretty old fast. Ever so slightly better than your average macro swill, though.

zjungleist, May 22, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Golden-brassy straw. Creamy white head with surprisingly excellent retention.

Smell: Mild metal. Fresh corn and wheat. Distant skunky-sulfuric quality. Rather weak but not all bad.

Taste: Sweet grainy taste of flour, rice, and cornbread. Light floral-grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and frothy, but also airy and clean.

Drinkability: I usually drink these ice cold, straight from the bottle at manic, sweaty ska concerts. They're very refreshing, and they're really not bad in a glass and at a more moderate temperature either.

soulgrowl, May 21, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Red Stripe, definitely not a bad beer, it tastes like Budwiser gone Lagar..lol It has a very mild sweet smell. With Red Stripe boarders a domestic taste. If you are a fan of light beer or Budwiser then you should like this.

I would say yank one out of the six pack before you buy a six. Supermarkets allow it and most cashiers screw the price up and charge you just around $1.00, oh well, enjoy!

A38Fitness, May 20, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

first off, love the stubby bottle. looks cool.
best before 7/06.

the cap pops with a quick, crisp pfft. forms a very large white frothy head, clear gold color with light carbonation.
the head settles pretty quickly to a weak lace.

aroma is strong and grassy first up. pretty impressive. after a few minutes, the hppy grassines is joined by a sugary adjunct sweetness. oddly enough, its not bad, and seems to fit in here.

from the smell, i expected a much sharper, crisper flavor/mouthfeel. not so. has that sugar adjunct sweetness, but its light and with the near non-existant bitterness doesnt throw it too off balance.
mouthfel is a bit disappointing. flat and a bit slick.

overall, leaning towards bland with nothing inspiring about it. but not as bad as i had expected.

joecast, May 14, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

I will keep this one short and to the point. I recently revisted this beer over the weekend. I decided to do so because I wanted a cold beer and something aside from the usual high abv beers I typically have in the fridge. Overall the taste of this lager is much better than any american macro I can think of and it is refreshing enough and "small" enough to enjoy several. I don't typically drink a 6'er but this went down with ease while cooking and watching the hockey game. If you want something light and crisp pick it up and give it a go.

tattooedtolley, May 08, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -54.5%

Pours a pale yellow gold. Half inch frothy head. Very fizzy. Smell is sour, yet sweet. Quite bitter nose.

Taste is sweet malt, lightly bitter, sour finish with metallic flavors mixed in. All this is quite unpleasant. A crisp and clean finish. I usually drink this out of a bottle if I find myself in FL with no better option and that's the way it should remain. If you can actually smell and taste it in the glass, it's brutal. No thanks.

ViveLaChouffe, May 05, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale (almost sickly) straw color with a thin white head that diminishes to a thin layer and eventually disappears.

Smell: Predominantly sweet in the nose with a bit of graininess. Typical average American Macro Lager smell.

Taste: There's a sweetness up front, but not much else. Maybe a light tartness, and very mild hops. The flavor reminds me of seltzer.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery, but not as bad as some. The finish is grainy.

Drinkability: Pretty easy to drink.

EPICAC, May 04, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I was definitely surprised by this one. I'd heard of it, but I'm not a big lager fan, so I stayed away. But then my brother brought a couple by so I gave it a shot. I was impressed (but since I pretty much hate lagers don't read too much into that) by the taste. It's smoother than the American Lagers I've come to know and hate. Not super hoppy. It's a good accompaniment to a burrito or tacos. I'm not gonna buy this on my own, but if someone shoves another one in my hand I'll drink it happily enough.

JayTheFinn, Apr 16, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +22.2%

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager gives a golden pour with a fluffy white head from a 12 ounce brown barrel bottle. The smell isn't unpleasant, a little grain, maybe a little hop. You know, this isn't the kind of beer that hits you over the head, but it is actually quite well balanced and a pleasant beer to drink, particularly on a hot day. Definitely an improvent over bud/miller/coors. A very drinkable, sessionable lager.

Drew966, Apr 11, 2006
3.18/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours out a light golden straw color with a small white head.

Smell. Typical aroma, with a small adjuct smell in it. Small fruityness to it, little banana, little grape.

Taste. A little nutty that gives it some dryness, but has a grape peel taste that i am getting a lot. Though there is a dryness to it, there is also a champagne sweetness. Finishes dry. Not bad.

Mouthfeel. I think it has a body that is a little bit fuller than others in this style. Good carbonation, decent balance.

Overall, not bad. Usually it's a bit pricey, but nice from time to time like at a bbq or something.

acrawf6, Apr 10, 2006