1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

poor

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a clear, light yellow, body with a medium sized, offwhite, head that consists of large, soapsudsy, bubbles, rising to 3 cm, than falling flat after two minutes. No lacing.
Aroma is grassy hops, and some vague lager malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel reveals average carbonation and a light to medium light body.
Taste opens with some grassy hops, sweet lager maltiness, and a refreshing, hops finish. There is a hint of corn syrup sweetness, and a note of sulfur, that are destracting from this, otherwise, decent, lager.
Definitely, the class of the caribbean beers that I've tried. Hardly impressive, but good drinkability for what it is. Red Stripe is an ideal, "lawnmower" beer, and has some complexities and character that its regional competitors(Carib) lack. I could survive, nicely, with this if I got stuck in a Jamaican beach town for a couple of months.

merlin48, Sep 23, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in the pudgy brown bottle pictured. No freshness dating. Appears to be brewed in Jamaica and transported here to the states. Being given away free as a promotion...

Poured a piss yellow with only a faint dusting of lace. Nothing overly outstanding about the smell. Taste was a nice mix of malt and hops, but kind of boring. A light washing mouthfeel, but would be nice on a hot day. I would prefer to get this free, instead of buying it.

Dithyramb, Sep 18, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +12.8%

If we all reviewed this beer on a beach in Negril I bet the marks would be higher but alas out of context this is an ok lager that offers no surprises but on the other hand is very drinkable. The slight fruit notes in the finish was the best thing about this beer which otherwise is a standard macro lager meant for sun and sand. I prefer Alpine from Down East or even PBR as this beer demands import prices.

canucklehead, Aug 30, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +27.3%

Okay, so some people say it's odd drinking a Jamaican beer in Africa. But hey, it's available, so why not? Comes in a 355mL stubby bottle. I find the stubbies a bit ackward to pour when compared to the longnecks. Stubbies are too damn easy to chug outta the bottle and into the glass. Anyways, it's a standard yellow colour. Not too light so it's a piss yellow, but a decent lager yellow. Bit of a head; I'd say less than a full finger. Lace sticks to the rim and slowly creeps down. Good smell. Dry hops, grass and barley. Bit of sulphur as well, though not much to turn it off. Nice, even balanced taste. Starts out with a mellow sweet malt and butter mix, ending with a bitter dry grass and hop aftertaste. Not WOW tasting, but I can't help but admire the balance. Mouthfeel is a bit astringent, thin. Not watery thin, but thin. Not bad, though. It's a very drinkable lager. One I'll buy again. Makes for a great session brew, and goes great with zebra.

slitherySOB, Aug 28, 2004
3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer presents itself as a very clear, very light yellow color. There’s a white, bright, moderately sized head and a corn-like vegetable aroma. Just a little hop aroma…very faint. The taste is delicate, slightly grainy and just a bit astringent. Very little hops in the finish, and the overall impression is light, clean, and very easy to drink. It’s refreshing, but also hollow. Better than a typical macro, but not by much.

Suds, Aug 23, 2004
3.03/5  rDev +2%

Bottle is a retro-style like old malt liquors or Haffenreffers private stock. Appearance is very light gold straw colored like an American macro (BMC) except a bit darker .Very mild nose --there really isn't one. The taste is better than the average yellow BMC because it does still have some flavor and would be far more thirst quenching on a hot beach in Jamaica than those other 3. The mouthfeel is very fuzzy-almost cotton-like, but not in a good way (think cotton ball not cotton candy). Drinkablity on this one is largely dependent on the circumstances. If it is hot weather outside than it is very drinkable and if not--fair-mediocre drinkabilty. August means good scores in the drinkabilty category.

rousee, Aug 19, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +21.2%

Hooray! Sorry, but they've got one of the best ad campaigns for a macro lager I've seen in a long while. I've always liked Red Stripe, going back to my days of dancin' my ass off at ska shows at the Masquerade in Atlanta. Reminds me of festive times.
Pours a light golden with a small white head. Not much nose to speak of, maybe a whiff of light caramel malt. Taste is much richer and maltier than most lagers. Notes of caramel and toasted malt, with a light hoppy background. Mouthfeel is a bit more robust than most in the style, too.

ElGordo, Aug 17, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +31.3%

Red Stripe is a great summertime beer. Perfect for those long, hot afternoons on the back porch, catching up with friends or reading that summertime potboiler that you bought from Amazon. In fact, Red Stripe may have to go down as one of my favorite summer selections.

Pours well, with a bubbly head and a lot of effervescence. It retains it's carbonation all the way through the glass. Odor is distinctly average.

The taste is characterized by a light biscuity flavor, all sweet malts with a slight corn syrup tinge. Crisp and refreshing. Light hops give a twist of bitter to the back of the tongue. Very, very smooth going down.

Good mouthfeel, extremely drinkable. Better than most adjunct lagers, IMO. I was pleasantly surprised by Red Stripe. They have a frisky beer to go with their cutesy advertising campaign. All in all, a good beer.

Dubblebock, Aug 16, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Hoppy smell, pale but pretty golden color. It's best to drink these out of their super cool shortie bottles, though; there's really no need to pour them into a fancy glass when you got such a cute little bottle.

Taste great! It starts out with an almost grainy sweetness and follows through with a really unique hoppy bitterness that has a citrus flavor. Really, really nice.

The body is a little thin when drank from a glass, another reason to drink it straight from a bottle. The carbonation is fairly light and makes these little guys easy to drink.

mynie, Aug 11, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

I tried this once years ago, and the unfavorable decision I gave it then kept me from it until today, when once again I bought a beer I don't normally try but it was on sale (I'm such a Scot).

I like the cute little bottles. Make fridge storage a bit easier than the longnecks.

Red stripe is red in label only. the beer is the palest of straw yellow colors. Could give Bud Light a run for it's money there.Thick head of shock-white foam subsides quickly. Very little by way of carbonation.

Aroma is typical of an adjunct lager. Smells of corn and rice, whether they're in there or not.

An initial sweetness in the mouth gives way to a very clean, nearly non-existent taste of malt, water, and styrofoam.

Mouthfeel is water-thin, with a styrofoam aftertaste.

Verdict? Not as bad as I remembered it. I wonder what I found so distasteful before, because there's really NOTHING here, good or bad. A good summertime quaffer for those hot days you want something inoffensive to drink and forget about.

Hunter, Aug 07, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -9.8%

I guess I realized that in college, this was a great beer to drink out of the bottle on keg nights, not in a pint glass in a restaurant. This was literally as clear as water. For some reason, I always kind of figured that it was a fairly dark lager. I can however see how it is a great beer to drink on a hot beach. Very crisp and refreshing for a "drink", but not satisfying for a "beer".

ALESwhatCURESya, Aug 01, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +15.5%

Presentation: 12. oz stubby Carribean-style bottle, poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Light gold with a slight chill haze. Pours initially with a very nice, vibrant head which then fades to a sparse lacing.

Smell: Grainy malts with some faintly noticeable hops in the background. Some sulpher and cooked vegetable notes are present as well.

Taste: Light bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is rather vibrant. There is an upfront sweetness found with this lager that combines with some mildly tart, citrusy hops. The beer finishes rather dry with only some residual graininess in the finish.

Overall: This is an all-around good lager beer, great for hot weather drinking. This beer is very refreshing, quenching, and quite smooth on the palate. It is also quite flavorful for being only a simple lager.

TagoMago, Jul 29, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance of this beer is average it is very light colored. I poured this into and glass and it did not leave any head. All that remained was a thin white ring. There is not much of an aroma other than a slight grainy smell with an almost non existant hop aroma.

The taste is the same as the smell except for the hops. The hops comes through a little more and leaves a slight bitter taste that lets you know you are drinking beer.

Mouthfeel isn't anything special as it warms up it has a slight oily feel.

I would say that it was very good with barbeque, and pizza. It is a nice beer to have while grilling out on a hot summer day but I'll stick to Hoegaarden wit bier as my summer beer of choice.

baugherlager, Jul 25, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

RED STRIPE

Just tried this last week and now its my outdoor beer of choice.
I love the stubby little bottle because it reminds me of some of the American brews my grandfather drank when I was a kid.

This brew is light in color and the smell is a kinda sweet maltyness that is crisp and faint.
The taste is the same malty crispness of the smell with light carbonation and VERY little aftertaste. If your planning on BBQing out with friends and slamming some brews this beats the hell out of anything Budweiser or the other American big brewery's are putting out.
All in all I think this a fine little summer beer and I will be buying more in the coming months.

Roderick, Jul 25, 2004
2.08/5  rDev -30%

So, I was at a function and this was the only Non-Bud beer available. I have actually never had a Red Stripe so i decided to pour one and take notes on my napkin.

The pour was very pale and yellow. It's a bright beer that pours with a very frothy, white head. The aroma is weak. What I could perceive smelled very bland...mostly grainy.

I wasn't very impressed with the flavor. I am not one to totally slam a beer because it happens to not be a brandywine. Hell, I love a pale lager from time to time to time and maybe another time as well. But Red Stripe has a taste that doesn't really sit well with me, a faint sweetness that should either be let out of its dungeon or done away with entirely. Otherwise, this is a very weak, crisp beer.

The drinkability is quite good, if it happens to be a very hot day and your tongue is parched. I wouldn't really want to have another but hey, I've had far worse beers.

PS - I do love the little squat bottles, though.

kindestcut, Jul 21, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Bought a sixer on sale for $4.99.

Appearance- Pale macro color, looks a lot like a light beer, maybe slightly more golden.

Smell- Mainly mildly sweet malts mixed with the familiar adjunct smell.

Taste- Fairly average. Better than a lot of it's American macro counterparts, but still not a great brew. Taste is more full than appearance would indicate. Still I don't want to picture what Red Stripe Light would be like.

Drinkability- Easy enough to drink, works well as a thrist-quencher type brew. Overall, I wouldn't say this beer is worth it's normal import price.

Gagnonsux, Jul 18, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is one cool looking bottle. The smell and taste are not quite as appealing. I detect sort of a skuny maltiness in both. The beer as very light-bodied, so it goes down very easily. There is little aftertaste. All in all, this is a thirs quenching, but a mediocre lager.

bignick, Jul 09, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +10.4%

Almost medium gold, topped with one finger white head, bits of partial lace rings.
Some grassy/spicy hop, theres not much, but there is some present in the aroma.
More toffee and caramel malt flavors that I expect from the style, plenty of rice character - comes out more the more you have it. Much better on draft, more metallic from the bottle.
Light to medium bodied, smooth lager body. Works good in the Carribean climate, starts ok, but I got really tired of this after a couple of days.

mschofield, Jun 21, 2004
2.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Red Stripe is a beer that I've been aware of for decades, but haven't had the opportunity to try until now. I like the bottle. Is there any other beer bottle that's stubbier than this one?

I've seen lighter lagers, but not by much. Pale straw yellow, clear with the exception of a few dozen small floaters. The head is shockingly white and wispy, but slightly tacky. It's lasting longer than expected and is actually leaving some lace.

The aroma is pretty nasty. Hops are present along with a sour, pungent, rotting vegetable smell. I hope that the flavor doesn't follow suit or I won't be finishing the bottle. It's a little better on the palate, but not much. It isn't oppressively bad (see Bud Light), but neither is it something that appeals to me in any way, shape or form. On a good note, I do detect a little lemoniness and the finish is mercifully short. Thin mouthfeel with no trace of fizziness.

Red Stripe is drinkable if I keep a few things in mind. Chill the crap out of it, don't smell it and pop the cap only when really, really hot and thirsty. The fact that a light version exists frightens me.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 14, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a frothy white head that is quite impressive. The smell is clean to the nose, slight grain but otherwise very clean. Taste is very semi sweet, like a lemonade bitterness mixed with a clean sweet light flavor. Perfect light blend makes this a great lager to wash down a meal. A very drinkable lager, goes very well with Caribbean Jerk Chicken and rice. I would pick up this again when in the mood for a lager or to go with a Carribean meal.

beertaster13, Jun 13, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +16.2%

great session beer no doubt.
kind of tasted like sam adams and yunegling blended together. it was smooth and easy to drink like yuengling but had that slight bitterness that reminded of sam but wasn't overly bitter. nothing complex with this one, straight forward basic lager, it tastes better when you drink it in Jamaica but what wouldn't seem to taste better...

kegerator, Jun 09, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I have always loved the bottle and have never really thought about the beer too much until this weekend.

I like the mellow flavor of imported lager it carries with it. Still it lacks the balance that makes lager drinking so easy. This one is not that easy. Higher alcohol and bold "corn" husky character lend to its uniqueness. a little sweet too, but not in a negative way.

Very drinkable for me in the sun on the hammock.

Perfect 'island' beer and hey I am on an island.

nice and easy with out being too easy

konabrewer, Jun 07, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -11.4%

I very much like the small compact bottle design that Red Stripe uses for it's beer. In fact I probably like the bottle more than the beer itself.

Poured a very pale amber with about 1 inch head that dispated quickly, in much the same way soda pop does. This lager left no lacing whatsoever.

There was a distinct unpleasant aroma present upon opening, but after pouring and letting stand for about 2 minutes this became much less pronounced.

Taste was thin and crisp, as most lagers are, with very little to commend or condemn about it. A small amount of malt and a faint hint of hops.
In my opinion, there was too much carbonation in the beer. It got in the way of what flavor there was.

All in all, not a bad lager, but certainly not worth the import price they charge for it around here.

oracle, Jun 06, 2004
3.3/5  rDev +11.1%

The pour was light golden yellow with a half inch head that quickly dissapated and left a small white ring around the top of the beer.

The smell was very light and hard to pick up. What I could pick up was acidic with a slight malt and fruit overtone.

The drink started with carbonation tickling the tongue and a kick of malt sweetness. The middle some hops kicked in, but not overpowering just light. The finish was clean, crisp and non lingering.

All and all this was a refreshing lawnmower beer, like most of the pale lagers it just lacked the punch that I look for in a beer. Still it was very drinkable, I will probably keep some in my fridge for those hot summer days.

coasterfreak75, May 03, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -28.3%

Red Stripe is a decent enough beer. Goes down very smooth. A pretty standard lager, nothing to write home about though. My biggest problem was that no matter how much of this stuff I drank, it never even BEGAN to give me a buzz. For the price, I'll take some Sam Adams anyday and at least get my drunk on.

cptnjck101, May 02, 2004