Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 926 | Hads: 2,928
3.31/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Medium shade of straw color in the body which rests under a thick white fluffy head. Great clarity and ample visible carbonation. The head fades after a few minutes leaving very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Classic lager aroma, a bit tangy smelling with small notes of spice and lemon. Overall it is an average smelling adjunct lager.

Taste: A tad bit grassy with a hint of Cheerio cereal flavor in the aftertaste. A light bite of bitterness. Just a hint of alcohol flavor after drinking it for a while.

Mouthfeel: Good crisp mouthfeel with just enough bitterness at the end.

Overall: It feels like a run-of-the-mill adjunct lager without any exceptional flavors. (685 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Its definitely a taste I had to get used to. It's different, I get this because its Carribean and still has Carribean hit. Its just not my go to with options (158 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +22.2%

During a beer drinking tour at a local bar I discovered this little gem. Better taste and smoother than other similar beers. It defiantly surprised me. (152 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot for Red Stripe, and I think it is actually cleaner and smoother than the other beers within the style. Taste is less bitter/ metallic/ corny (160 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light golden colour.

Smell: Just your typical American adjunct lager smell.

Taste: Grainy sweetness, grassy hops, yeast, some of that corn adjunct in there.
Very crisp and clean. Light body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A refreshing, and enjoyable lager. Perfect for a hot summers day or just washing down some grub. The corn adjunct doesn't overpower this beer at all, which is A+ in my books. A very good beer for its style indeed. (446 characters)

Would give this a zero if I could. I am not exaggerating when I say that this tastes like Corona Extra and smells like a wet dog. I don't know how this aroma was produced from a beer, but it is awfully unpleasant. (213 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +17.5%

I really enjoyed this lager. Light and crisp, as a lager should be, but it has a nice bite and some substantial flavor. Looks like an average lager, smells like Canadian lager, tastes great. Probably the best macro brew I've had in ages. It would be great to down on a hot day, or to drink in multiples on a summer night. It's not a complex craft brew, but it's not supposed to be. It's good old fashioned lager, to be swilled and enjoyed. Try it! (447 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this at a bar/lounge while playing a couple dollars in the machines. I took limited notes, sorry if this is not as descriptive as my other reviews.

No appearance

Aroma (3.25) : Grain, malt, corn, some stale adjuncts.

Taste (3.5) : Slightly stale malt mixture, corn, syrup, some grain, and a bit of a tasty kick. It's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : If left in the mouth it becomes numbing from the carbonation and syrup-like feel. Has a dry finish.

Overall (3.46) : I'd buy it again. It fit the bill for the half hour I was in there. It's tasty, even if some of the ingredients taste stale and low-grade. It all comes together, and as I said, it's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite - all the way to the dry finish. (768 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

An evil, faceless corporation hires workers to fill these short, squat bottles with Budweiser and then exploits the "ya mon! ya mon! ya mon!" culture of Jamaica to sell an ordinary beer at a higher price.
It's ok, but I'll eliminate the middle man and just buy a six of Bud, which I rate at a 3. A 0.25 deduction for not taking my taste buds "to da Caribbean, mon!" (366 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance - 3.8/5
Comes in a abnormally shaped 11.2 oz bottle. Pours a yellow-orange color. Extremely clear. Very possibly the clearest beer I have ever seen. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. After sitting for a few seconds, there is no head. Carbonation is bubbling to the top at a slightly quicker than average pace.

Smell - 3.2/5
Standard Lager smell. I don't really know enough about beer to be able to be more specific than that.

Taste - 4/5
The lager taste is less strong than most other lagers I have had, which for my tastes is a plus. A little sweet, maybe some citrusy flavors. The aftertaste is a little different tasting. Perhaps a fruity-alochol taste. Overall this is actually a fairly nice tasting lager. Nothing fancy going on, keeping the taste simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Crisp. Light to medium in body. The carbonation is on the lighter side, but not too little. If there was any less carbonation I would say there is too little, but as it is right now, it's a fine level which adds to the beer's smoothness.

Overall - 4/5
I was quite surprised by this beer. I had no clue what to expect. Have never heard of the company or a "Jamaican Style Lager". But this turned out to be a decent brew. Probably not one I would buy a 6-pack of, but that's only because there are so many other good brews out there.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,425 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Out of the bottle but I do know they are clear, not much head, golden maybe a tad bit darker side of gold. Smoothish, decent carbonation. A little Sweet but a little zesty and grassy. I enjoy red stripe but they seem to catch up with me pretty quick. (250 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Light blonde with medium carbonation and well-retained head (3/3)
S: Lighlty malty and alcohol aromas, a slight skunk on the nose(7/12)
T: Pretty crisp malt character with a little bit of bitterness in the aftertaste...pretty sure this beer is a little light-struck, though after sip three or four I think I may be exaggerating (13/20)
M: Pretty bubble with a little dryness on the finish (4/5)
O: A pretty solid cheap lawnmower beer. Concerned about the skunkiness, but I’ll probably try this beer again to double-check. For the price, it’s hard to beat. (6/10)
33/50 (578 characters)

I have a soft spot for red stripe. First of all, I love the bottle it comes in. I get tired of macro style lagers easily. But red stripe I can throwback easily! Great flavor for a beer of this kind it's island beer all the way, and that's not a bad thing. Fall is here so I stay away from Mexican/ island beers. Those are summer only in my opinion. (348 characters)

This brew pours a golden color about 50% opaque with a two finger light fizzy head and good carbonation.

The smell is kind of dank malt. A little soapy.

The taste was not bad, there was that crisp, clean cracker like lager taste however it was buried under a soapy taste which was present throughout from beginning to end. There was also a very slightly grainy taste but this added to, rather than distracted from the overall taste.

This is really not bad for an adjunct lager; even with that soapy taste I would drink it again, this could be a session beer on a hot summer day. I would drink it again. It might help that I was not expecting much from this beer. (666 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -13.9%

From notes on 10/25/13

Drank a lot of this while in Jamaica. Nice easy drinking Lager, with a little more complexity and flavor than the American big guns like Bud, Miller, and Coors. Still, similar to those though. (216 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well pours almost no head that is gone in 30sec. Clear and light golden

S- Not much here at all

T- Mass produced lager. Not much else. A tiny hint of ginger

M- Mass produced beer.

O- Just like a Bud. Ok on a hot day

Food Pairing

This ok beer pairs with anything you would choose a Bud or Miller for.

Enjoy! (396 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

Stubby 11.2 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with a 1" thick white head which lingers and leaves semi-rings of lace.

N: Corny, grainy, malty and yeasty. Not too exciting.

T: A bit estery with very faint banana notes, yeasty and mildly sweetish malts.

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Semi-dry with a crisp and clean finish.

O: Easy to drink and it was refreshing on a warm afternoon. (404 characters)

There aren't many beers that I am nervous to try, but this may be one of them. It had a questionable appearance straight from the start, with a sloppy bottling job around the mouth of the bottle. Poured into a glass, it was quite bland looking. A boring light yellow color and no head.. Smell was nonexistent and flavor was stale, funky, soured water. Really no other discernible flavors, other than the alcohol which couldn't be covered up due to the lack of flavor. Mouth feel was that of water.

Will not seek out and purchase again. (536 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Got a bottle from a salesman for free and figured I'd review it. Thin yellow with no head after the pour. I couldn't smell anything really on the nose. The taste was mostly rice with a bite at the finish that wasn't very refreshing. The mouthfeel was thin and too heavily carbonated. Not for me. (295 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -30.5%

Bleh. That was my first impression and it didn't change.

Even fresh this beer smells skunky. The taste is bizarrely sweet and unappetizing. I purchased it mostly to see what all the hype was about. One does tend to hear about this beer, expecially from people who think it is cool that they once went to Jamaica and bout Jamaican beer... that should have been my first clue.

The beer is uninspired and unimpressive, the flatness, greyish colouration, and the flavour all make for a poor experience.

The one upside is the packaging. The stubby paired with the spot on red and white label is attractive and well composed. Don't be fooled though. (647 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -37.7%

It is impressive that the brewery has made a beer with lighter color than Budweiser. But the taste is also less than in most of the American "pisswater"-beers, or rather, it tastes like zero, nothing. There is no taste at all in this beer.
The only positive thing about this beer is that it does not taste bad. It makes it slips down quite easily. (348 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited, a popular rude boy beer. Poured from the squatter-style bottle into a glass, this brew has no head whatsoever. No lacing adheres to the clear, light amber body.

Smells like malt and grains. I'm pretty medial with this part of the review for Red Stripe.

Tastes like spices and malt. This is a nice exotic twist to make unique, drinkable lager.

Very clean mouthfeel from Red Stripe. This will beat the heat anywhere, be it Kingston or Ohio!

Overall a rather nice 3.25 for Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited. This is a refreshing Jamaican brew that will go great with any red meat meal. I will buy this brew again. (698 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager brewed by Desnoes & Geddes Limited with an ABV of 4.7% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. Red stripe is a filtered brew. You can see right though this beer. The smell is nice with some grains. Nothing bad so far. The taste is smooth and clean. you pick up on some grain and hops. Red stripe is a nice well balanced beer, there is nothing over powering in this brew. The mouthfeel is smooth,clean, and also refreshing. There is nothing overpowering in this beer. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5 (557 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drank from the bottle.

Has the typical adjunct smell, corn

Has the typical adjunct taste. Not real bad, but not my favorite.

Light body and moderate carbonation. Does go down easy for sure.

nothing different here. maybe a notch better that a typical light lager (267 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Maybe its where I live, maybe its old when it gets here. I have not been to Jamaica maybe its better there. I have had this beer numerous times since I began drinking and at first I thought it was good, but I had not really started drinking great beer at that point. The last few times I have tried this one its been a disappointment. It has this strange wine-like back flavor that I just cant get used to. Its like a sour fruit taste, very much like a cheap wine, less beer flavor. Maybe if I drank it in Jamaica it would taste better but overall I would much rather have a domestic or Mexican adjunct lager over this lager. For the price its just not all that great. (668 characters)

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited