Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,891 | Reviews: 968
3.69/5  rDev +24.7%

During a beer drinking tour at a local bar I discovered this little gem. Better taste and smoother than other similar beers. It defiantly surprised me.

3.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Saigon (can)

I am neutral on this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good lager that's better in the islands.

2.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot for Red Stripe, and I think it is actually cleaner and smoother than the other beers within the style. Taste is less bitter/ metallic/ corny

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A good every day beer.

2.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Overall not a good beer.

3.53/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light golden colour.

Smell: Just your typical American adjunct lager smell.

Taste: Grainy sweetness, grassy hops, yeast, some of that corn adjunct in there.
Very crisp and clean. Light body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A refreshing, and enjoyable lager. Perfect for a hot summers day or just washing down some grub. The corn adjunct doesn't overpower this beer at all, which is A+ in my books. A very good beer for its style indeed.

Would give this a zero if I could. I am not exaggerating when I say that this tastes like Corona Extra and smells like a wet dog. I don't know how this aroma was produced from a beer, but it is awfully unpleasant.

3.55/5  rDev +19.9%

I really enjoyed this lager. Light and crisp, as a lager should be, but it has a nice bite and some substantial flavor. Looks like an average lager, smells like Canadian lager, tastes great. Probably the best macro brew I've had in ages. It would be great to down on a hot day, or to drink in multiples on a summer night. It's not a complex craft brew, but it's not supposed to be. It's good old fashioned lager, to be swilled and enjoyed. Try it!

What do you expect from a place like this!!!

4.5/5  rDev +52%

In the US, its mediocre at best. But for some reason, in Jamaica, this beer tastes like the nectar of the gods.

3.46/5  rDev +16.9%

Had this at a bar/lounge while playing a couple dollars in the machines. I took limited notes, sorry if this is not as descriptive as my other reviews.

No appearance

Aroma (3.25) : Grain, malt, corn, some stale adjuncts.

Taste (3.5) : Slightly stale malt mixture, corn, syrup, some grain, and a bit of a tasty kick. It's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : If left in the mouth it becomes numbing from the carbonation and syrup-like feel. Has a dry finish.

Overall (3.46) : I'd buy it again. It fit the bill for the half hour I was in there. It's tasty, even if some of the ingredients taste stale and low-grade. It all comes together, and as I said, it's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite - all the way to the dry finish.

Just awful.

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

An evil, faceless corporation hires workers to fill these short, squat bottles with Budweiser and then exploits the "ya mon! ya mon! ya mon!" culture of Jamaica to sell an ordinary beer at a higher price.
It's ok, but I'll eliminate the middle man and just buy a six of Bud, which I rate at a 3. A 0.25 deduction for not taking my taste buds "to da Caribbean, mon!"

3.84/5  rDev +29.7%

Appearance - 3.8/5
Comes in a abnormally shaped 11.2 oz bottle. Pours a yellow-orange color. Extremely clear. Very possibly the clearest beer I have ever seen. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. After sitting for a few seconds, there is no head. Carbonation is bubbling to the top at a slightly quicker than average pace.

Smell - 3.2/5
Standard Lager smell. I don't really know enough about beer to be able to be more specific than that.

Taste - 4/5
The lager taste is less strong than most other lagers I have had, which for my tastes is a plus. A little sweet, maybe some citrusy flavors. The aftertaste is a little different tasting. Perhaps a fruity-alochol taste. Overall this is actually a fairly nice tasting lager. Nothing fancy going on, keeping the taste simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Crisp. Light to medium in body. The carbonation is on the lighter side, but not too little. If there was any less carbonation I would say there is too little, but as it is right now, it's a fine level which adds to the beer's smoothness.

Overall - 4/5
I was quite surprised by this beer. I had no clue what to expect. Have never heard of the company or a "Jamaican Style Lager". But this turned out to be a decent brew. Probably not one I would buy a 6-pack of, but that's only because there are so many other good brews out there.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

Like a lot of mass-produced beers, it's grainy with a touch of skunk.

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Out of the bottle but I do know they are clear, not much head, golden maybe a tad bit darker side of gold. Smoothish, decent carbonation. A little Sweet but a little zesty and grassy. I enjoy red stripe but they seem to catch up with me pretty quick.

1.5/5  rDev -49.3%

Tastes of feet and rotting cabbage.

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Light blonde with medium carbonation and well-retained head (3/3)
S: Lighlty malty and alcohol aromas, a slight skunk on the nose(7/12)
T: Pretty crisp malt character with a little bit of bitterness in the aftertaste...pretty sure this beer is a little light-struck, though after sip three or four I think I may be exaggerating (13/20)
M: Pretty bubble with a little dryness on the finish (4/5)
O: A pretty solid cheap lawnmower beer. Concerned about the skunkiness, but I’ll probably try this beer again to double-check. For the price, it’s hard to beat. (6/10)
33/50

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

Beer of my graduation party so it will always have a special place in my heart. Good for summer gatherings and goes down smooth.

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Solid option for summer easy drinking. The bottle is fun, it's Jamaican, the flavor has a little spice to it. Hooray Bee-yah!

I have a soft spot for red stripe. First of all, I love the bottle it comes in. I get tired of macro style lagers easily. But red stripe I can throwback easily! Great flavor for a beer of this kind it's island beer all the way, and that's not a bad thing. Fall is here so I stay away from Mexican/ island beers. Those are summer only in my opinion.

2.25/5  rDev -24%

very little better than big macro lager, sure it used to have more going on

This brew pours a golden color about 50% opaque with a two finger light fizzy head and good carbonation.

The smell is kind of dank malt. A little soapy.

The taste was not bad, there was that crisp, clean cracker like lager taste however it was buried under a soapy taste which was present throughout from beginning to end. There was also a very slightly grainy taste but this added to, rather than distracted from the overall taste.

This is really not bad for an adjunct lager; even with that soapy taste I would drink it again, this could be a session beer on a hot summer day. I would drink it again. It might help that I was not expecting much from this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +52%

Good beer, fruity and easy to drink

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited