Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Reviews: 952 | Ratings: 3,087
2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Poor 1 finger head lasting around a minute. Weak legs with some high activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, herbal spices, fruity orange/banana feel, and slightly skunky. Well balanced between sweet and sour.

Light body with medium carbonation. Short and faint smoky finish ending on the bitter side with a little dryness.

Overall : One step better than the average macro beer but still a little stale and watery.

3.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Had a couple of these with dinner tonight. Poured out of the short little brown bottles and into a standard pint glass. Color is very pale, yellowy and pretty much perfectly transparent. A decent number of little bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Pouring a little quickly produces a big foamy head that shrinks away into a little coating on top after a little while; seems to shrink quicker on a slower pour. Actually leaves a good bit of a lacy trail behind on the sides of the glass as you drink it.

Got a good whiff of "standard beer smell" upon opening and pouring the first bottle, not as much with the second. Once in the glass the smell is pretty faint. What is there isn't anything special; it's a smell that might be a little funky if it was stronger, but as is it's barely noticeable.

Taste, like color and smell, is pretty light. What is there isn't bad at all--a light grain/bread sort of flavor is what I'm picking up the most, and bready lagers are fine by me--it could just use a bit more "oomph." Interestingly, this beer seemed to go VERY nicely with food; I drank about half of my first one (and some of my second one) while eating some pasta with a garlic butter sauce and a little bit of paprika, and the beer seemed to become more flavorful when accompanied by food than it was on its own--as soon as I'd had a bite of food, I started picking up a bit of an almost fruity sort of flavor when I had another drink. A bite of food makes your beer taste better and a drink of beer makes your food taste better... always a good thing.

Feel is... well, it's pretty fizzy and light. Very easy to drink quite a bit of it quickly. Maybe a little *too* fizzy at times, it's not quite soda-like but it's not that far off either.

Overall, I'm surprisingly impressed by this one. It's light, but what is there is far from bad; certainly a few steps up from a glass of plain, flavorless, alcohol-free water. This is definitely a "mealtime beer" rather than a "have one beer at the end of the day" beer. If you feel like having two or three lighter beers with some good food rather than one strong, flavorful beer as a meal unto itself, Red Stripe fills that role nicely... and I can definitely imagine this being a good beer to have around when the weather's a bit warmer and you're chowing down on some sweet and spicy Caribbean-style food. I may have to revisit this one when it warms up a bit, and I'll definitely have to remember to make sure to have a few "at the source" if I ever end up visiting Jamaica at some point.

3.31/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Medium shade of straw color in the body which rests under a thick white fluffy head. Great clarity and ample visible carbonation. The head fades after a few minutes leaving very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Classic lager aroma, a bit tangy smelling with small notes of spice and lemon. Overall it is an average smelling adjunct lager.

Taste: A tad bit grassy with a hint of Cheerio cereal flavor in the aftertaste. A light bite of bitterness. Just a hint of alcohol flavor after drinking it for a while.

Mouthfeel: Good crisp mouthfeel with just enough bitterness at the end.

Overall: It feels like a run-of-the-mill adjunct lager without any exceptional flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Its definitely a taste I had to get used to. It's different, I get this because its Carribean and still has Carribean hit. Its just not my go to with options

3.69/5  rDev +23%

During a beer drinking tour at a local bar I discovered this little gem. Better taste and smoother than other similar beers. It defiantly surprised me.

2.28/5  rDev -24%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot for Red Stripe, and I think it is actually cleaner and smoother than the other beers within the style. Taste is less bitter/ metallic/ corny

3.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light golden in colour.

Smell: Just your typical American adjunct lager smell.

Taste: Grainy sweetness, grassy hops, yeast, some of that corn adjunct in there.
Very crisp and clean. Light body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A refreshing, and enjoyable lager. Perfect for a hot summers day or just washing down some grub. The corn adjunct doesn't overpower this beer at all. Good example of the style.

Would give this a zero if I could. I am not exaggerating when I say that this tastes like Corona Extra and smells like a wet dog. I don't know how this aroma was produced from a beer, but it is awfully unpleasant.

3.55/5  rDev +18.3%

I really enjoyed this lager. Light and crisp, as a lager should be, but it has a nice bite and some substantial flavor. Looks like an average lager, smells like Canadian lager, tastes great. Probably the best macro brew I've had in ages. It would be great to down on a hot day, or to drink in multiples on a summer night. It's not a complex craft brew, but it's not supposed to be. It's good old fashioned lager, to be swilled and enjoyed. Try it!

3.46/5  rDev +15.3%

Had this at a bar/lounge while playing a couple dollars in the machines. I took limited notes, sorry if this is not as descriptive as my other reviews.

No appearance

Aroma (3.25) : Grain, malt, corn, some stale adjuncts.

Taste (3.5) : Slightly stale malt mixture, corn, syrup, some grain, and a bit of a tasty kick. It's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : If left in the mouth it becomes numbing from the carbonation and syrup-like feel. Has a dry finish.

Overall (3.46) : I'd buy it again. It fit the bill for the half hour I was in there. It's tasty, even if some of the ingredients taste stale and low-grade. It all comes together, and as I said, it's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite - all the way to the dry finish.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

An evil, faceless corporation hires workers to fill these short, squat bottles with Budweiser and then exploits the "ya mon! ya mon! ya mon!" culture of Jamaica to sell an ordinary beer at a higher price.
It's ok, but I'll eliminate the middle man and just buy a six of Bud, which I rate at a 3. A 0.25 deduction for not taking my taste buds "to da Caribbean, mon!"

3.81/5  rDev +27%

Appearance - 3.75/5
Comes in a abnormally shaped 11.2 oz bottle. Pours a yellow-orange color. Extremely clear. Very possibly the clearest beer I have ever seen. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. After sitting for a few seconds, there is no head. Carbonation is bubbling to the top at a slightly quicker than average pace.

Smell - 3.25/5
Standard Lager smell. I don't really know enough about beer to be able to be more specific than that.

Taste - 4/5
The lager taste is less strong than most other lagers I have had, which for my tastes is a plus. A little sweet, maybe some citrusy flavors. The aftertaste is a little different tasting. Perhaps a fruity-alochol taste. Overall this is actually a fairly nice tasting lager. Nothing fancy going on, keeping the taste simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Crisp. Light to medium in body. The carbonation is on the lighter side, but not too little. If there was any less carbonation I would say there is too little, but as it is right now, it's a fine level which adds to the beer's smoothness.

Overall - 4/5
I was quite surprised by this beer. I had no clue what to expect. Have never heard of the company or a "Jamaican Style Lager". But this turned out to be a decent brew. Probably not one I would buy a 6-pack of, but that's only because there are so many other good brews out there.

3.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Out of the bottle but I do know they are clear, not much head, golden maybe a tad bit darker side of gold. Smoothish, decent carbonation. A little Sweet but a little zesty and grassy. I enjoy red stripe but they seem to catch up with me pretty quick.

3.3/5  rDev +10%

A: Light blonde with medium carbonation and well-retained head (3/3)
S: Lighlty malty and alcohol aromas, a slight skunk on the nose(7/12)
T: Pretty crisp malt character with a little bit of bitterness in the aftertaste...pretty sure this beer is a little light-struck, though after sip three or four I think I may be exaggerating (13/20)
M: Pretty bubble with a little dryness on the finish (4/5)
O: A pretty solid cheap lawnmower beer. Concerned about the skunkiness, but I’ll probably try this beer again to double-check. For the price, it’s hard to beat. (6/10)
33/50

I have a soft spot for red stripe. First of all, I love the bottle it comes in. I get tired of macro style lagers easily. But red stripe I can throwback easily! Great flavor for a beer of this kind it's island beer all the way, and that's not a bad thing. Fall is here so I stay away from Mexican/ island beers. Those are summer only in my opinion.

3/5  rDev 0%

This brew pours a golden color about 50% opaque with a two finger light fizzy head and good carbonation.

The smell is kind of dank malt. A little soapy.

The taste was not bad, there was that crisp, clean cracker like lager taste however it was buried under a soapy taste which was present throughout from beginning to end. There was also a very slightly grainy taste but this added to, rather than distracted from the overall taste.

This is really not bad for an adjunct lager; even with that soapy taste I would drink it again, this could be a session beer on a hot summer day. I would drink it again. It might help that I was not expecting much from this beer.

2.6/5  rDev -13.3%

From notes on 10/25/13

Drank a lot of this while in Jamaica. Nice easy drinking Lager, with a little more complexity and flavor than the American big guns like Bud, Miller, and Coors. Still, similar to those though.

Poured from a 12 OZ stubby into a pintglass. Aroma- sweet malt aroma Appearance- A light clear yellow with a thick white head Taste- A nice lager flavor that has a semi-sweet note with a little yeast flavor Palate- A light bodied beer with a smooth finish with some medium carbonation Overall- A good hot summer day beer, can be consumed in mass and is thoroughly enjoyable

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well pours almost no head that is gone in 30sec. Clear and light golden

S- Not much here at all

T- Mass produced lager. Not much else. A tiny hint of ginger

M- Mass produced beer.

O- Just like a Bud. Ok on a hot day

Food Pairing

This ok beer pairs with anything you would choose a Bud or Miller for.

Enjoy!

2.94/5  rDev -2%

Stubby 11.2 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with a 1" thick white head which lingers and leaves semi-rings of lace.

N: Corny, grainy, malty and yeasty. Not too exciting.

T: A bit estery with very faint banana notes, yeasty and mildly sweetish malts.

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Semi-dry with a crisp and clean finish.

O: Easy to drink and it was refreshing on a warm afternoon.

There aren't many beers that I am nervous to try, but this may be one of them. It had a questionable appearance straight from the start, with a sloppy bottling job around the mouth of the bottle. Poured into a glass, it was quite bland looking. A boring light yellow color and no head.. Smell was nonexistent and flavor was stale, funky, soured water. Really no other discernible flavors, other than the alcohol which couldn't be covered up due to the lack of flavor. Mouth feel was that of water.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.02/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Got a bottle from a salesman for free and figured I'd review it. Thin yellow with no head after the pour. I couldn't smell anything really on the nose. The taste was mostly rice with a bite at the finish that wasn't very refreshing. The mouthfeel was thin and too heavily carbonated. Not for me.

2.1/5  rDev -30%

Bleh. That was my first impression and it didn't change.

Even fresh this beer smells skunky. The taste is bizarrely sweet and unappetizing. I purchased it mostly to see what all the hype was about. One does tend to hear about this beer, expecially from people who think it is cool that they once went to Jamaica and bout Jamaican beer... that should have been my first clue.

The beer is uninspired and unimpressive, the flatness, greyish colouration, and the flavour all make for a poor experience.

The one upside is the packaging. The stubby paired with the spot on red and white label is attractive and well composed. Don't be fooled though.

1.88/5  rDev -37.3%

It is impressive that the brewery has made a beer with lighter color than Budweiser. But the taste is also less than in most of the American "pisswater"-beers, or rather, it tastes like zero, nothing. There is no taste at all in this beer.
The only positive thing about this beer is that it does not taste bad. It makes it slips down quite easily.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited, a popular rude boy beer. Poured from the squatter-style bottle into a glass, this brew has no head whatsoever. No lacing adheres to the clear, light amber body.

Smells like malt and grains. I'm pretty medial with this part of the review for Red Stripe.

Tastes like spices and malt. This is a nice exotic twist to make unique, drinkable lager.

Very clean mouthfeel from Red Stripe. This will beat the heat anywhere, be it Kingston or Ohio!

Overall a rather nice 3.25 for Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited. This is a refreshing Jamaican brew that will go great with any red meat meal. I will buy this brew again.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited