Red Stripe Jamaican Lager - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

pDev: 37%
Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 935 | Hads: 2,997
2.6/5  rDev -13.3%

From notes on 10/25/13

Drank a lot of this while in Jamaica. Nice easy drinking Lager, with a little more complexity and flavor than the American big guns like Bud, Miller, and Coors. Still, similar to those though.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO as a single. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well pours almost no head that is gone in 30sec. Clear and light golden

S- Not much here at all

T- Mass produced lager. Not much else. A tiny hint of ginger

M- Mass produced beer.

O- Just like a Bud. Ok on a hot day

Food Pairing

This ok beer pairs with anything you would choose a Bud or Miller for.

2.94/5  rDev -2%

Stubby 11.2 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with a 1" thick white head which lingers and leaves semi-rings of lace.

N: Corny, grainy, malty and yeasty. Not too exciting.

T: A bit estery with very faint banana notes, yeasty and mildly sweetish malts.

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Semi-dry with a crisp and clean finish.

O: Easy to drink and it was refreshing on a warm afternoon.

There aren't many beers that I am nervous to try, but this may be one of them. It had a questionable appearance straight from the start, with a sloppy bottling job around the mouth of the bottle. Poured into a glass, it was quite bland looking. A boring light yellow color and no head.. Smell was nonexistent and flavor was stale, funky, soured water. Really no other discernible flavors, other than the alcohol which couldn't be covered up due to the lack of flavor. Mouth feel was that of water.

Will not revisit again.

2.02/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Got a bottle from a salesman for free and figured I'd review it. Thin yellow with no head after the pour. I couldn't smell anything really on the nose. The taste was mostly rice with a bite at the finish that wasn't very refreshing. The mouthfeel was thin and too heavily carbonated. Not for me.

2.1/5  rDev -30%

Bleh. That was my first impression and it didn't change.

Even fresh this beer smells skunky. The taste is bizarrely sweet and unappetizing. I purchased it mostly to see what all the hype was about. One does tend to hear about this beer, expecially from people who think it is cool that they once went to Jamaica and bout Jamaican beer... that should have been my first clue.

The beer is uninspired and unimpressive, the flatness, greyish colouration, and the flavour all make for a poor experience.

The one upside is the packaging. The stubby paired with the spot on red and white label is attractive and well composed. Don't be fooled though.

1.88/5  rDev -37.3%

It is impressive that the brewery has made a beer with lighter color than Budweiser. But the taste is also less than in most of the American "pisswater"-beers, or rather, it tastes like zero, nothing. There is no taste at all in this beer.
The only positive thing about this beer is that it does not taste bad. It makes it slips down quite easily.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited, a popular rude boy beer. Poured from the squatter-style bottle into a glass, this brew has no head whatsoever. No lacing adheres to the clear, light amber body.

Smells like malt and grains. I'm pretty medial with this part of the review for Red Stripe.

Tastes like spices and malt. This is a nice exotic twist to make unique, drinkable lager.

Very clean mouthfeel from Red Stripe. This will beat the heat anywhere, be it Kingston or Ohio!

Overall a rather nice 3.25 for Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited. This is a refreshing Jamaican brew that will go great with any red meat meal. I will buy this brew again.

4.06/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager brewed by Desnoes & Geddes Limited with an ABV of 4.7% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. Red stripe is a filtered brew. You can see right though this beer. The smell is nice with some grains. Nothing bad so far. The taste is smooth and clean. you pick up on some grain and hops. Red stripe is a nice well balanced beer, there is nothing over powering in this brew. The mouthfeel is smooth,clean, and also refreshing. There is nothing overpowering in this beer. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5

2.79/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drank from the bottle.

Has the typical adjunct smell, corn

Has the typical adjunct taste. Not real bad, but not my favorite.

Light body and moderate carbonation. Does go down easy for sure.

nothing different here. maybe a notch better that a typical light lager

2.37/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Maybe its where I live, maybe its old when it gets here. I have not been to Jamaica maybe its better there. I have had this beer numerous times since I began drinking and at first I thought it was good, but I had not really started drinking great beer at that point. The last few times I have tried this one its been a disappointment. It has this strange wine-like back flavor that I just cant get used to. Its like a sour fruit taste, very much like a cheap wine, less beer flavor. Maybe if I drank it in Jamaica it would taste better but overall I would much rather have a domestic or Mexican adjunct lager over this lager. For the price its just not all that great.

3.04/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very crisp and clear. Nice gold color. On a side note, I always love the bottles Red Stripe comes in

S - Pretty decent smell. No strong aromas, but much better than I was expecting out of a lager like this.

T - Taste is something left to be desired. Quite bland and lacks anything that stands out.

M - As with the taste, nothing stood out. Felt like drinking water.

O - Certainly better than other beers in its class, but noting to rave about.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a nice 2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing on the 16oz pub glass as it dissipates.

Smell is nice, I get mostly the malts with maybe a little bit of hops.

Taste is really good especially on a hot day. I get the malts with a nice crispness of a lager.

Mouthfeel is really nice with lots of carbonation. Really cleanses the mouth when you drink it.

Overall, a decent beer. It is not gonna win many races for me but is a nice selection every now and then at a tiki bar at the beach.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Serving: Stubbie, from the stubbie
Served: 14 June 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, but hey, it's a stubbie, so that's cool.

Smell: Doesn't smell like much- stereotypical beer with clear corn/rice adjuncts lending it a hint of sweet graininess.

Taste: Doesn't taste like much. After the Heineken I had, I could barely tell a difference. This beer is sweet and lacking assertive flavors of almost any kind. No hop presence. Finishes semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation. I would have liked to see higher carbonation on this one.

Overall: If you're in Jamaica where it's hotter than hell and the air's as thick as soup, I image this is one hell of a delicious thirst quencher. Elsewise, this is a bland beer that I have next to no idea why people buy. Would not recommend, not even as a party beer to feign sophistication.

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

It's a good beer but as far as lagers go, it's not my favorite. This is a good beer to enjoy during the summer. It's very clear, like a lager should be and it has a nice refreshing taste. There is a weird after taste that lingers and isn't the best. Other than that I am overall happy with this beer.

3.33/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 24 ounce Euro-brown stubby into a Pilsener style sampler. The label says it's brewed in PA by Latrobe. (The bottle, which has a traditional crown cap closure, will be great for bottling homebrew). A moderate pour produces a billowing one inch head that settles down to a thin sheen with a few strands of lace on the sides. The color is a pale golden with light carbonation.

Some corn in the aroma along with a kiss of citrus hops. Some lemony undertones are very apparent, and maybe just a faint touch of skunk. Crispy and tingly on the tongue and clean on the finish with maybe a really faint leafy bitterness and some lingering light citrus.

It's been awhile since I tried this beer and this is better than I remember. I think the last one I had (when first available in my area many years ago) was skunkier than this one, so maybe that one really was brewed in Jamaica. This particular sample was quite refreshing with no off-putting flavors, and the bottle is a keeper if you bottle your homebrew. Average to slightly above average.

3.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer was ok, it was not my favorite beer that I have had, but it was ok. It was not my favorite beer. I was not too fond of the taste. I do not know why but this beer was just not for me. But I am glad that I tried it. I would recommend it to friends who like this kind of beer though. I am still glad that I tried it though.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden filtered, a few slow rising bubbles, 3 fingers of yellow tinged head.

S: Corn, hay, light cream corn, light sweetness, boiling animal offal.

T: Cream corn, light sweetness, offal, very light bitterness on the end. Very much an AA Lager with little else going on.

M: Light, medium carbonation.

O: The main draw to this beer for me is the fact its a beer from Jamaica. Similar to any American Macro Lager. Its fine, just the same as so many others.

1.97/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The last time I had red strip was in jamaica ten years ago. I found it to be overall a pleasant lager. So when I found it at the local grocery store on sale I had to give it another go.
Appearance the bottle is fat and short rather unique looking. The beer is a very light
colored gold. The head was thick about 3 fingers. White in color. A very clear beer.
Smell slightly skunky. Taste stale bread and like sucking on a penny. A very light
bitter finish. The mouthfill light with good carbonation. Overall im sure it will be
another 10 years before I try this beer again.

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Jamaican Red Stripe Lager - I didn't realize they were 11.2 oz bottle and it really ticked me off. I hate getting jipped. Anyway, I put that aside and poured me one of these little bottles and hoped for the best. Well, it wasn't entirely bad, but it wasn't spectacularly good, either. This little brew does have a nice dark, golden hue to it that is very appealing. It pours a nice pillowy white head with little staying power, but the lacing sticks around pretty good. The smell was disappointing - almost skunky, but not quite. Mouthfeel was very, very carbonated with a slightly sticky aftertaste. I did, however, enjoy the full-bodied flavor the lager - not watery or plain hoppy or yeasty. Overall, it was okay, but I still feel a bit cheated by the smaller bottles... :)

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Sampled a earlier this afternoon on 5/4/14. Had this one before but has been a couple of years. Comes in a nice 11.2 ounce bottle with a painted-on label.Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours lighter golden yellow in color with a small fizzy white head. Some spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is of some grains and yeast but that's about it. The taste is actually better with the grains, yeast and a light corn sweetness and goes down easy. No bitter or harsh aftertaste. Good carbonation. Overall, not a bad brew.

3.58/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a light golden straw color with about 2 fingers of head and light lacing on the glass.

The smell is a light grainy smell like fresh bread, slightly sweet.

This beer is a great tasting lager. It starts off sweet and grainy, a very earthy taste, followed by a light hoppy bitterness.

This is a medium to high carbonated lager that has a very pleasant mouthfeel.

Overall I think this is a flavorful refreshing beer and probably my number one go-to lager.

4.35/5  rDev +45%

Red Stripe is a golden straw appearance

4.7 % ABV
Taste: Wheat, grainy, malty
Smell: Wheat
Aroma: Wheat

It is a smooth beer, clear, and light beer.

From Jamaica! But can be bought in stores in the U.S

Very good beer if you like a lighter beer.

Served in a bottle

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle I brought back from a recent trip to Jamaica.

Appearance: It has a nice pale straw-yellow color to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of grainy malts, corn and a light grassiness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some grainy malts, corn, light grass and some skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a light and watery overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavors and aromas.

3.07/5  rDev +2.3%

Red Stripe...Jamaican for beer! This beer pours light, with mild carbonation, and produces a medium, frothy head. It has a malty taste, with metal aftertaste, and you can feel the carbonation as you drink it (which is on in my opinion). It is decent tasting, filling, but does not cause much bloating.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited