Dragon Stout - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

good

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon Stout Alström Bros

JohnQVD, Aug 21, 2013

JohnBeerRun, Feb 03, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -64%

BGsWo22, Mar 21, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

less than 12oz bottle into a kitchen glass. I felt like taking a risk with this.

A- Bordering on black this hugely brown liquid produced a fading tan head that reached a 1/4 of an inch before fading into a patch.

S- Sweet slighty rotted milk, dragon's stout has some raw sugar and some chocolate. Getting some molasses as well, although very faint. A big bite of dried old fruit as well with plum. Cold cream as well.

T- Not my thing. I tried but this was not faring well for me. The ingredients did not mesh well with one another. Almost like the flavors are stale and past their prime while this is quite a fresh bottle. Old cream that sat out with a whole lot of old fruit.

M- Very creamy with a above medium mouthfeel. It's just not going down so smooth with the old fruit taste which is very prominent. A overload of cheap alcohol as well, yuck.

D- I tried and could not do it, done after three ounces. Could only take tiny sips. When i tried to take anymore my senses stopped me. Putrid. Sometimes it pays to live on the wild and adventurous side, but not in this case. Down the drain.

BARFLYB, Apr 11, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -55.3%

What a cute little bottle at only 300 ml.

Pours dark like a stout should, very black, and what little light can penetrate through the glass indicates a deep ruby. Slight tan head.

The aroma is mild and mostly burnt roasted malt and sweet molasses, very alcoholic with a hint of something medicinal.

Taste is...what the? Sugary! So. very. sugary.

And syrupy!

And oddly sweetly rummy and astringent. There's some roast taste and chocolate but everything is way overpowered by the sweetness. Blarg. I'm seriously questioning my ability to drink this abomination five sips in. It's like somebody poured molasses and sugar and cough medicine and baby vomit into a tablespoon of Guinness and called it stout.

Yeah, no.

I was ending the night with this beer but I think I'll have to dump it and have something I know is good to hopefully cleanse my mouth of this sickly sweet yuckfest. Or maybe I should just brush my teeth and cry myself to sleep. Blech.

MeisterBurger, Jun 03, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -48.7%

Cute little bottle. Pours very dark with a good, light brown head that retains decently. Smells of cocoa, a bit of roastiness, and over-ripe dark fruits. Taste is more over-ripe dark fruits ala figs, plums, raisins, etc. Over the top sweetness. Semi dry finish. Lightly carbonated. Alcohol warmth very present. Im not sure if I could drink more than one of these as it's somewhat of a chore to finish only one of these guys from a small 284mL bottle. Way too sweet, not in the good way like a Milk Stout either. Each sip makes me deliver a new face of anguish.

Doomcifer, Jul 26, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

* hated it could not finish and would never drink again*

app: deep brown with garnet hues.. not that amazing. small small tan head

smell: sweet molasses type stout smell, to much sugar/candy smell in it, not enough roasty toasty malts.

taste: thin water soy molasses sugar booze. very bad, undrinkable, this is a hamburger marinade not a drink, it is brown sugar malt mistake.

mf: thin light and not spritzy but evervecent.. not good.

drinkable?: NO, i did not find it to be anywhere near a beverage, it is a marinade at most.

AndoBrew, Oct 04, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked this out purely from the look of the label. I've never seen this beer before. And quite frankly, I don't care if I never see it again.

A: Good amount of tan head settling over a dark brew with mahogany edges. Minor retention and no lacing.

S: Aromas are faint. A few heavy breaths in hint at roasty chocolate malt characteristics. A little berry punch in there too.

T/M: Very very fruity, sweet and syrupy. Almost overwhelming. It takes a moment before I can extract a bitter background to the sugary sweetness. Overripe berries lightly dipped in milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, with that syrup quality settling the sweet flavors all over my palate. Fizzy, and with some warmth more sugar comes out ... and now this beer is like an overly sweetened soda, and I can no longer drink it.

D: Two to four good sips and I've had enough of this one. This beer needs some lovin' from humulus lupulus. ie...stouts are best when balanced.

washburnkid, Mar 07, 2011

ThinkAgain, Jul 01, 2012

Shafaegalo, Jan 13, 2014

Shandycan, May 08, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -35.7%

Bought from a Harlem bodega.

A- Black with a tan head. "thick looking" when it was poured.
Looks like a stout

S. My nose is weak at the moment but there is a little bit of chocolate and coffee in the nose. Not much intensity though.

T. Way too sweet with a sickly aftertaste. Pretty nice chocolate taste but its just not well done.

Tastes like a Harpoon Chocolate Stout (good beer) except brewed with sewage water.

nms1987, Mar 04, 2009

Howlader, Jul 20, 2014

OldTime, Mar 10, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

A - Black, completely opaque. Started with a one finger khaki head but faded fast to a flimy cap.

S - Deep chocolate aroma with some booze.

T - Same as the aroma. Very disapointing for the abv, I was expecting more. I get some cola sweetness but not enough roasted malts. Some booze is there in the finish too.

M - Light to medium bodied, a letdown again.

D - I don't want to have anything to do with this ever again. I'll have a root beer if I want flavours like this. What a let down. I expected a rich stout, I got an overly sweet, boozy drink.

tbeckett, Oct 23, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance: Pours a black body with brown edges and a foamy, khaki-colored head.

Smell: Aroma of odd, seemingly artificial chocolate and licorice with a hint of a well-used CoinStar machine.

Taste: A crude, unrefined taste of sweet chocolate, licorice, and dark corn syrup. Sugar is thrown haphazardly all over the palate. Hints of loose change. Finishes with a sour, twangy fruitiness. All in all, it's like an ice cream topping purchased at the dollar store.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I can't conceive of myself ever giving this beer another go.

ChainGangGuy, Oct 04, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a dark brown/black, some reddish hues, thick tan head forms, sticks around, some nice lacing. Smell is sweet, some cherries and toffee, chocolate, lots of alcohol. Taste is weird, strange artificial flavour, some cherry/fruits, light roast, alcohol, no idea where this is going. Very weak finish, watery flavour. Mouthfeel is thin, low carbonation, somewhat unpleasant.

Viggo, Nov 09, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -30.3%

Thanks to liamt07 for sending me this one.

Black color beer. Quite dark too. Brown foamy head. Damn, the smell isn't good at all... surely not inviting... more strange but not in a good way. I get some chocolate and licorice with something else that make the smell bad. Taste is so light, it is sad. Some chocolate. No bitterness. This beer needs some work. Feels like water in the mouth.

ZorPrime, Mar 12, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours an oily jet black with a fairly mild head that quickly fades into a thin film and crown. Sweet aroma - bubble gum, fruits. The bubble gum again appears in the taste, along with some fruitiness and maybe tobacco? Strong soy taste. Overall very sweet and not very apetizing at all. By the end of this beer, I was having trouble getting it down...it really warmed into an unpleasant taste, sickeningly sweet. Alcohol is noticeable with a definite burn. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fair helping of carbonation. Reasonably drinkable. Light bodied than you would normally expect from a stout, lending to its drinkability.

In general, I'm disappointed by this brew. It's not what I'm looking for from a stout.

Mavajo, Dec 17, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black, with a little over a finger of tan head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S: Molasses and a little bit of fruit. Very sweet.

T: Starts sweet and a little milky, moves into a soda-like flavor, finishing with a little burn of alcohol and bitterness.

M: Not overly carbonated. Slightly syrupy.

D: Too sweet, and the alcohol and bitterness on the end doesn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

seand, May 30, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours to a deep nearly black ruby color and tan head that fades to a thin film. Aroma is more "barleywinelike" with the prominent alcohol and sweet candylike esters, with a hint of pale lager maltiness. Flavor is slick and lagerlike, more reminicent of doppelbock, but more of an artificial tasting sweetness than anything you'd expect from malt. Roasty malts with largery funk and sweet sweet sweet. Mouthfeel is OK. Not too drinkable but better than their Red Stripe.

EagleTalon, Apr 09, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

300 ML bottle bought at the LC.

Dark dark chocolatey thick pour. The head is also nice and brown looking, although it dosen't stay around for long, and ends up looking a bit weak.

Smell is sweet and a bit cloying. Only a hint of dark chocolatey goodness.
One sip and...wow..is this ever a sweet beer. May need a dentist visit after this one.... More hoppy than I thought, and it has a much less syrupy feel than what it poured like. Alcohol isn't hidden much, and has a very creamy mouthfeel. I just can't get over how sweet this beer is, it's a bit of a turnoff for me. I like a slight sweetness, but... A bit thin in the mouth too. For some people this would be highly quaffable, me, I just get a toothache...

trevorwideman, Sep 04, 2005
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle dated BB March 12, no year? Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours with no head? Dark, though not opaque. Expecting way more for a 7.5%stout
S: Muted aroma. Some sweetness on the nose, though distinctly of corn.
T: Is this a stout? Really? Corn and a bit of earthy bitter are the dominant flavours. No real roasted grain character either. I really let it warm up to see if new character would develop. Nada.
M: Thin. Not enjoyable.
O: Never again. Not a stout, and barely a dark ale.

kjyost, Mar 28, 2011