Dragon Stout - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Dragon StoutDragon Stout

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon Stout Alström Bros

Shandycan, May 08, 2014

EigenBeer, Jul 12, 2012

KimenTshom, Jan 04, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black, with a little over a finger of tan head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S: Molasses and a little bit of fruit. Very sweet.

T: Starts sweet and a little milky, moves into a soda-like flavor, finishing with a little burn of alcohol and bitterness.

M: Not overly carbonated. Slightly syrupy.

D: Too sweet, and the alcohol and bitterness on the end doesn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

seand, May 30, 2009

tbeer40, May 04, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 300 ml bottle to a pint glass.

I grabbed this off the shelf at the LCBO and thought I'd give it a try. This beer pours a deep dark brown/black with a minimal thumb of head which dissipates quickly leaving little behind. There is a metallic smell to the beer that is dominant, but I can also pick up sweet malts and some roast. The taste is pretty good; I found roast malts, treacle, coffee and some anise. The feel is good medium to high carbonation with a medium to full body.

From what I know stouts are very common in the Caribbean, and this is a good example of a native stout. Jamaica produces sugar, coffee, spices and molasses. All of these are present in this beer, it reminds me of time at the resorts in Jamaica.

polloenfuego, Mar 15, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

Jamaican stout? Ok, I'll try it. Cool label and reasonable price.

Deep brown/black with medium tan head. Poor retention and no lace left behind whatsoever.

Aroma of sweet malt and alcohol. Slightly metallic.

Very sweet flavor of malt and molasses. No noticable hop presence. Tastes much more like a dark Scotch Ale than a Stout. Only bitterness comes from the harsh, unblended alcohol.

Mouthfeel is the best characteristic. Smooth and creamy; nice carbonation levels.

Overall it's not terrible, but not a great stout in my opinion.

Hoagie1973, Mar 26, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Hmm, good beer. A shade short of pitch black, with a decent, one finger head with lots of staying power. Nice. Rings of lace stay on the glass like it was glued on, with a lace curtain between each ring. Whoa, sweet smell. Alot of roasted barley, without the burnt smell. Bit of a milk smell as well. Or something similar to milk. Cream? Half and half? Taste kicks your tongue with sweet, roasted barley that's been roasted to near perfection. Chocolatey, creamy and smooth. Still has the dairy quality to it. Chewy mouthfeel. Almost like a pudding. I'll be buying this again. Nice and drinkable. Not a session beer, but a beer that one wll want to drink again. And for something with such a lack of hops, it's quite well balanced. The malt starts out sweet, but the roastiness leaves a bittering aftertaste. I like it.

slitherySOB, Aug 01, 2004

cultclassic89, Jun 07, 2014

GoHabsGo, Sep 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Cola dark when poured, black, coffee. Brown head, half finger with good retention. There's very lively carbonation when held under a bright light, most below the surface. Smells of caramel apple, or fresh hard candies in a dish. Sweet Tia Maria coffee taste, yeast, with a lingering aftertaste of black cherry. I found the taste developed in the glass, at first quite sweet, then an odd flash sour. Mouthfeel got syrupy as it warmed, taking away from the overall attractiveness of this Jamaican stout and it got a bit sweet for my liking. I really liked the way the flavours alternated, almost sweet and sour at times and then the strong blue mountain coffee influence. Well worth a try.

ThatWineGuy, Sep 18, 2007

rojapa, Aug 28, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Produced a finger of head that retained like crazy, but sadly did not lace. The body is as black as night, as a good stout should be.

Smell: Lots of chocolate and almost a sweet coconut smell to it. I'm also catching some coffee and malt notes in the background. It's good, but I'm left expecting more.

Taste: Starts out sweet, creamy and milky as the malt then makes an appearance as it comes forward with a raw sugar and mild chocolate taste that then finally ends with a bitter kick that is far milder then most stouts but comes out with a bit of a mineral note.

Mouthfeel: Chocolate aftertaste which I like as well as a surreal creaminess. The transitioning is a little awkward and the carbonation falls flat near the end, but all in all sold stuff here. Tastes a little thin though.

Drinkability: Very mild for a stout as it is fairly light bodied, which is odd for a stout but it seems to have a surreal smoothness to it.

Final Thoughts: When I first looked at this beer, I thought that a stout from Jamaica would be awful. However, Desnoes & Geddes seem to me to be the best of Caribbean beer. I wouldn't say it's epicly good, but it's certainly worth seeking out.

TheHammer, Aug 22, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked this out purely from the look of the label. I've never seen this beer before. And quite frankly, I don't care if I never see it again.

A: Good amount of tan head settling over a dark brew with mahogany edges. Minor retention and no lacing.

S: Aromas are faint. A few heavy breaths in hint at roasty chocolate malt characteristics. A little berry punch in there too.

T/M: Very very fruity, sweet and syrupy. Almost overwhelming. It takes a moment before I can extract a bitter background to the sugary sweetness. Overripe berries lightly dipped in milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, with that syrup quality settling the sweet flavors all over my palate. Fizzy, and with some warmth more sugar comes out ... and now this beer is like an overly sweetened soda, and I can no longer drink it.

D: Two to four good sips and I've had enough of this one. This beer needs some lovin' from humulus lupulus. ie...stouts are best when balanced.

washburnkid, Mar 07, 2011

Schmoog, May 10, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally able to review a beer again! Getting over a cold that took away my sense of smell and made drinking decent beer pointless. Almost dipped into my crappy beers but just couldnt force myself to do it. Anyways my sinuses were finally clear which allowed to enjoy this one last night.

Appearance
Black, not totally opaque, let a fair amount of red through. Big 3 finger tan coloured head formed on a mildly vigorous pour, and almost just as quickly dissipated to leave only the scantest collar of lacings inside my glass. This stout was mildly and finely carbonated, befitting the style.

Aroma
The scents of nutty malts, roasted barley (more dark roast coffee than chocolate), some anise and a mellow roasted smokiness greeted my clear sinuses.

Taste
This one is pretty sweet. My guesses would be from refined corn or cane sugar. Taste was quite similar to the nose, with a nutty base malt backbone and the slightly bitter flavours of roasted barley (more coffee than chocolate in this one). The hints of anise as well as the smokiness also came through in the taste. A very mildly bitter grassy hop finish revealed itself in the taste however that i didnt detect in the nose.

Mouthfeel
A very sweet stout offset by the slight bitterness of the roasted grain. This brew is actually fairly light bodied and translucent for a stout. The nutty malts were nicely offset by the roasted barley and touch of bittering hops. Personal preference would have appreciated less sweet and more bitter.

Drinkability
This one was pretty drinkable, although the sweetness was too much for me to consider this one as session fare during winter in NW Ontario. My opinion might be 180 degrees different if was sitting on a hot beach in Jamaica however. There was a nice roastiness to this brew that makes it worth trying. It may also serve as a good stout try for the stout novices, as the sweetness may make it more approachable. Ill probably drink this one again, may make a good summer stout.

demcorhip, Jan 14, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

WillAndSarah, Oct 11, 2014

Shafaegalo, Jan 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

agreenman19, May 04, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +4%

Pours a jet black color with a tan head. Carbonation as well, which I am not used to with a stout.
Not a lot of smell, but a good toffee smell to it.
Good strong taste on this stout. Strong chocolate malty taste. More chocolate taste to this one then on a lot of chocolate beers I have had. Great toffee taste on the finish.
Mouthfeel is too thin for what I would like on a stout.
Drinkability is average. It is thin, which I guess is good for such a warm weather climate in Jamaica. The taste is strong, so it may be rough drinking more than a couple of these.

BDIMike, Apr 04, 2008

Profchaos20, Dec 27, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this at the LCBO after a friend told me this is "the coke of all stouts". I'm not 100% sure of what he meant but I'm eager to try.
Poured into my snifter. Opaque black with deep honey amber brown edges. About a finger and a half of creamy but thin khaki brown head with less than decent retention. Nice lacing.
Sweet milk chocolate malt and vanilla in the nose. Slightly smokey but strangely oily. Not too fond of the smell. Putting my nose right into the snifter, this brew seems pretty over-powering.
Almost tastes like you're drinking a milk sweet stout. Some nice milk chocolate and chewy malt but again with the strange oily medicinal notes that linger. The 7.5ABV also asserts itself in the taste.
A bit higher rating for the mouthfeel because it was full bodied and fairly smooth but I would not be able to drink more than one of these.

Overall, the almost cloying sweetness, pronounced ABV and strange oily medicinal notes made this a pretty unenjoyable stout. I don't think I'll be buying another one of these any time soon.

ludachris, Apr 10, 2009