Dragon Stout - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

good

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon Stout Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Produced a finger of head that retained like crazy, but sadly did not lace. The body is as black as night, as a good stout should be.

Smell: Lots of chocolate and almost a sweet coconut smell to it. I'm also catching some coffee and malt notes in the background. It's good, but I'm left expecting more.

Taste: Starts out sweet, creamy and milky as the malt then makes an appearance as it comes forward with a raw sugar and mild chocolate taste that then finally ends with a bitter kick that is far milder then most stouts but comes out with a bit of a mineral note.

Mouthfeel: Chocolate aftertaste which I like as well as a surreal creaminess. The transitioning is a little awkward and the carbonation falls flat near the end, but all in all sold stuff here. Tastes a little thin though.

Drinkability: Very mild for a stout as it is fairly light bodied, which is odd for a stout but it seems to have a surreal smoothness to it.

Final Thoughts: When I first looked at this beer, I thought that a stout from Jamaica would be awful. However, Desnoes & Geddes seem to me to be the best of Caribbean beer. I wouldn't say it's epicly good, but it's certainly worth seeking out.

Pours three fingers of light tan brown head, goes down in a minute or two, leaving a nice film and lace. Colour is jet black.

Aroma has a definite roast character, some fruity grapefruit esters, fresh coffee notes. Also dark chocolate/cocoa, maybe tobacco as well. Quite thick, but pretty good balance.

Flavour follows the nose, plenty of roast coffee, dark chocolate, some cherries. Fair bit of sweetness on the malt. Pretty good complexity and not much in the way of faults. Something of a metallic note on the aftertaste.

Great full mouthfeel, surprisingly smooth and creamy with just enough of a bitter bite, a bit syrupy and plenty dry on the finish. Big body but quite nice drinkability on this.

Pretty nice and enjoyable stout. Traditional profile, and does that quite well. Dryness on the end is good. Not the best I've had, but still a really good brew that deserves a try.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Dragon Stout has a thick, tan head, a very dark brown appearance, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of extremely faint grain husk and just maybe a bit of sweetness. The flavor is unusual- sweetness, sugar, slightly sour grain, malt, and a dash of hop bitterness, but that is low. The mouthfeel is thick and Dragon Stout finishes heavy and filling. One can really feel the alcohol creep into the head with this beer- no alcohol in the flavor, but then, suddenly, "Bam!" Overall, this is a very good beer, and I suggest giving it a try.

RJT

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

A: very black body with a two finger light tan head.

S: coconut, milk and cream. Little else.

T: very milky and sweet. Cream, coconut and chocolate. Not very beer like and fairly sweet. Very subtle hop bitterness late in the aftertaste.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: typical milk stout however the malts are especially hidden here.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

First review, so bear with me...

Just returned from a trip to Jamaica. A friendly resort employee picked some up for me. 284ml bottle poured into a tumbler (not many options in the minibar). Best before date of Dec. 2013.

Appearance - Extremely dark, almost black. Minimal light tan head which didn't last long.

Smell - This is my weakest point, but I got molasses and caramel. Maybe a very light burnt coffee.

Taste - Hints of chocolate and maybe a little coffee. Creamy, with a medium mouthfeel. Sweet, like a milk stout. No real bitterness. Slight alcohol on the finish, but not overpowering. At 7.5%, this beer could be dangerous.

Overall - Sweet, but not overly so for me. I was skeptical about a stout in the tropics, but I found it to be actually very refreshing. Much more so than I would have imagined it could be. One of those beers that I think directly represents where it is brewed. Might seem too sweet or unbalanced if I were drinking it at home in New England, but perfect for the location and climate of Jamaica.

I have a pretty good tasting story for this one. The bottom line is: don't visit Jamaica without drinking some, and be sure to sample some of the other tastey treats for which Jamaica is well known.

I had one day in Jamaica on our cruise last month. Our ship docked in Falmouth and we had hoped to do a shopping/beach/private drive excursion towards Montego Bay, but we ended up with just a beach excursion (keeping in mind that Caribbean beaches are absolutely wonderful). The bar at our beach had Red Stripe tasting better than I had ever remembered but no Dragon Stout. Prevously I've found Dragon imported to the US to be too sweet to drink more than a couple.

The beach boss asked if he could be of assistance - he sent someone to get me some Dragon (and more later). I ended up drinking three, all completely warm. It is as I remembered it, good but too sweet to drink very much of. Still, it was a very pleasant day and I recommend Dragon for Jamaican beach goers.

During the afternoon I wandered down the beach and sampled other very tasty Jamaican products in a beach shack with some locals. Very nice and also recommended for visitors. All in all, Dragon was part of my perfect Jamaican buzz.

Dragon Stout from Desnoes & Geddes Limited