Dragon Stout - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

A: very black body with a two finger light tan head.

S: coconut, milk and cream. Little else.

T: very milky and sweet. Cream, coconut and chocolate. Not very beer like and fairly sweet. Very subtle hop bitterness late in the aftertaste.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: typical milk stout however the malts are especially hidden here.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

First review, so bear with me...

Just returned from a trip to Jamaica. A friendly resort employee picked some up for me. 284ml bottle poured into a tumbler (not many options in the minibar). Best before date of Dec. 2013.

Appearance - Extremely dark, almost black. Minimal light tan head which didn't last long.

Smell - This is my weakest point, but I got molasses and caramel. Maybe a very light burnt coffee.

Taste - Hints of chocolate and maybe a little coffee. Creamy, with a medium mouthfeel. Sweet, like a milk stout. No real bitterness. Slight alcohol on the finish, but not overpowering. At 7.5%, this beer could be dangerous.

Overall - Sweet, but not overly so for me. I was skeptical about a stout in the tropics, but I found it to be actually very refreshing. Much more so than I would have imagined it could be. One of those beers that I think directly represents where it is brewed. Might seem too sweet or unbalanced if I were drinking it at home in New England, but perfect for the location and climate of Jamaica.

I have a pretty good tasting story for this one. The bottom line is: don't visit Jamaica without drinking some, and be sure to sample some of the other tastey treats for which Jamaica is well known.

I had one day in Jamaica on our cruise last month. Our ship docked in Falmouth and we had hoped to do a shopping/beach/private drive excursion towards Montego Bay, but we ended up with just a beach excursion (keeping in mind that Caribbean beaches are absolutely wonderful). The bar at our beach had Red Stripe tasting better than I had ever remembered but no Dragon Stout. Prevously I've found Dragon imported to the US to be too sweet to drink more than a couple.

The beach boss asked if he could be of assistance - he sent someone to get me some Dragon (and more later). I ended up drinking three, all completely warm. It is as I remembered it, good but too sweet to drink very much of. Still, it was a very pleasant day and I recommend Dragon for Jamaican beach goers.

During the afternoon I wandered down the beach and sampled other very tasty Jamaican products in a beach shack with some locals. Very nice and also recommended for visitors. All in all, Dragon was part of my perfect Jamaican buzz.

3.49/5  rDev +0.3%

A - rich black coloring. One finger caramel head that dissipated quickly. No lacing at all.

S - heavy fruit and peat smells. You can smell the malts but they are hidden by sweetness. Hint of chocolate.

T - very deep fruits. Malts are there but ate hidden by sugars. Sweet but not sugary. Not overly sweet either, expected coming from the cane sugar capital.

M - creamy. Medium bodied for a stout but still very good! Low carbonation which I love.

O - better than average but below great. I would say gaverage!

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a two finger cocoa head upon a near black body, little retention or lacing.

Smell is burnt malt, molasses, earthy hops.

Taste follows the nose, very sweet almost cloying, mineral note (iron), not bad at all.

Medium bodied with not a lot of carbonation, very drinkable and not much in the way of bitterness.

Not a bad brew and better than I anticipated. Very low hop profile and sweet yet it works somehow.

Dragon Stout from Desnoes & Geddes Limited