Dragon Stout - Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Dragon StoutDragon Stout

Desnoes & Geddes Limited visit their website
Jamaica

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragon Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a pitch black color with a big tan head. Head falls slow leaving decent lacing.

Roasted malt and coffee aroma. Not overwhelming and not much else. Maybe dark fruits.

Deep fruity malts in the taste. Alcohol is present. This is almost more like a quad that a stout. Mild bitter aftertaste. Very interesting.

Medium to full bodied in the mouth with mild carbonation.

Well, this is an interesting beer, not at all as I would have expected. Definitely more of a quad/stout combo. Strange beer, I like it.

dstc, Sep 27, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -5.2%

284 ml bottle poured into a pint glass. (Picked up in St Thomas)

A: Thick black and very opaque, about 1 1/2 fingers of nice light tan head, that settled down to a consistent layer of foam... wonderful lacing little to no carbonation that I can see.

S: Strong sweet roasted barley malt, black licorice, dark fruits and spicy alcohol. Over all very sweet

T: Lots going on here.... Sweet malt, black licorice, some types of fruits, cherries & plums... There is a sweet grape finish that sticks to the tongue... Very nice aftertaste, with a touch of spicy alcohol. Pretty complex and not like most Stouts I've had. Nice twist.

M: Medium body, not as thick as I was hoping for... little to no carbonation. Has a little bite going down and ends kind of sticky....

D: Due to the overall sweetness and mid ABV this is a sipper... sit back and enjoy.

mralphabet, Aug 27, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep velvet black with a thick tan head.
Smells and tastes of cocoa, brown sugar, molasses, alcohol.
Kind of thin and not overly syrupy but overall still too darn sweet to consume too many of these. Not a bad brew, I just would rather be sipping it with my feet in the sand on a beach in Jamaica.

ThickestHead, Aug 19, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +43.1%

This is quite simply my favorite beer, but as of recently I can no longer find it in Kentucky. Any further information of where I could purchase this would be appreciated.

A - Dark with a nice tan head that disappeared too quickly.

S - Beautiful aroma, without the chocolate and coffee overtones of most stouts

T - Deep fruit flavor with a smooth alcohol finish and not harsh aftertaste

M - Smooth with a great malt backbone

D - Excellent - I will be getting more whenever possible!

kg1970, Aug 18, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Very dark brown body with ruby-red highlights. Thin mocha head leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Light sweet aromas of roasted malt, dextrose, and leafy vegetal hop.

Roasted malt and sweet corn with an alcohol note in background, hop character not apparent. No off flavors.

Medium body mildy mouth-coating. Fairly clean after-taste.

Sweet and malty with little complexity of flavor. Easy to drink warm or cold. Although my tongue discerns adjuncts(corn) this offering is a national(Jamaica)icon and a regional favorite. Very drinkable!

cbn, Jul 31, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Almost pitch black with hints of ruby when held to the light. Had to put it right next to my desk lamp to coax the colour out. Pours with a two finger tan head that recedes fairly quick, leaving no lace behind.

It has a very boozy and sweet aroma. Roasted malts are present, and maybe a touch of dark fruit.

Sweet dark fruit up front with mildly bitter roasted malt flavours in the background. Mild chocolate. Something vaguely reminescent of milk thats just on the verge of turning. Pleasant acidity throughout. Alcohol gets a little unruly as the beer warms.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Creamy. Had this two or three years back and couldn't handle how sweet and chewy it was, but having it now, I think I like it a bit more. Still not something I'd want all the time though. It still gets progressively harder to drink the closer you get to the bottom of the glass. Cloying.

mintjellie, Jul 26, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

This stout is not for the faint at heart. It pours an inky dirty brown color impenetrable to light. The head is very creamy, on the small side, some retention and minimal lacing. The nose on the beer is pungent. There is clearly an ABV presence in the nose, deep caramels, chocolates, but just lots of booziness throughout. The nose could scare you away by itself.

The taste is maximally creamy. The is one of the creamiest stouts I've had. This is definitely full bodied, very sweet, almost lactose stout sweet, with lots of chocolate malts, honey molasses, and some roasted notes. There might be some cherry chocolate soda in there as well. There is definitely a throaty burn and lots of ABV with the beer. The beer is like oil on the tongue with a sweet buttery molasses residue in the mouth and beyond. This is a sipping beer for sure. It is quite good, is full palated, makes a strong statement. There isn't much hop, there isn't much roasted or charred notes to the beer, and it is very much tilted to the sweet creamy side of the ledger. Worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

albern, Jul 11, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

Comes in a small bottle and has a novelty label - just had to pick it in the store:

A - pours a dark choclate-y black with a decent smooth slightly streaky head

S - Smells malty and syroupy but not in a bad way

T - Taste very good of first malt and caramel but then the sweetness and caramel syroup flavour becomes overpowering

M - Decent but nothing special slightly undercarbonated

D - very good at first but becomes slightly sickly after roughly 2/3s of the small bottle

DerBayer, Jun 23, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -55.2%

What a cute little bottle at only 300 ml.

Pours dark like a stout should, very black, and what little light can penetrate through the glass indicates a deep ruby. Slight tan head.

The aroma is mild and mostly burnt roasted malt and sweet molasses, very alcoholic with a hint of something medicinal.

Taste is...what the? Sugary! So. very. sugary.

And syrupy!

And oddly sweetly rummy and astringent. There's some roast taste and chocolate but everything is way overpowered by the sweetness. Blarg. I'm seriously questioning my ability to drink this abomination five sips in. It's like somebody poured molasses and sugar and cough medicine and baby vomit into a tablespoon of Guinness and called it stout.

Yeah, no.

I was ending the night with this beer but I think I'll have to dump it and have something I know is good to hopefully cleanse my mouth of this sickly sweet yuckfest. Or maybe I should just brush my teeth and cry myself to sleep. Blech.

MeisterBurger, Jun 03, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black, with a little over a finger of tan head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S: Molasses and a little bit of fruit. Very sweet.

T: Starts sweet and a little milky, moves into a soda-like flavor, finishing with a little burn of alcohol and bitterness.

M: Not overly carbonated. Slightly syrupy.

D: Too sweet, and the alcohol and bitterness on the end doesn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

seand, May 30, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +2%

Purchased a six-pack of this at the LCBO. I'd never had a Caribbean stout before and figured I'd give it a go. They have a reputation for being sickly sweet, so I had a good idea what to expect.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Great looking beer: reddish black with a modest tan collar. Very impressive lacing.

Smells of molasses, chocolate, figs, raisins, cherries, and faint roastiness. This is a sweet-smelling, decadent beer.

Taste is good. Dark fruit abounds, with a mellow maltiness and a hint of roast. The fruitiness reminds me a bit of a Belgian dark, but only superficially. Hops is almost undetectable. This beer is SWEET -- while it's not overwhelming, it needs something to keep it in check. Perhaps a little more roastiness would help balance this a bit? Lingering, sticky finish.

Mouthfeel is full, round, luxurious. Carbonation is velvety. This is great.

As tasty as this is, I figure the drinkability is limited by the high ABV, the remarkable sweetness, and the one-dimensionality of the flavour. It's a tasty sipper, but one I'd soon tire of I reckon.

It should also be noted that this beer is an amazing value. A sixer of this stuff will set you back $10 and change from the Liq-bo (CAD of course) which puts it on par with some of the macro cheapies. It's flavourful and unique, if a little one-dimensional, but should please casual drinkers and beer geeks alike. Plus its 7.5% which means it packs a serious punch. You don't need too many of these to get a buzz, if that's what you're after. Great stuff.

hegelec, May 20, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Pours dark black with a nice tall creamy tan head. Good retention with lots of lace.

S: Very sweet aromas. Tons of sweet malt with strong notes of dark fruit. A touch of lactose sugar as well.

T: Very lactic, creamy sweetness up front. Bold sweet roasted malt with hints of raisin, fig, and dark chocolate. Did I mention it was very sweet?

M: Sort of thin, slick, but has a sort of flat feel to it despite the active carbonation in the glass.

D: A bit too sweet for me.

tpd975, May 08, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

less than 12oz bottle into a kitchen glass. I felt like taking a risk with this.

A- Bordering on black this hugely brown liquid produced a fading tan head that reached a 1/4 of an inch before fading into a patch.

S- Sweet slighty rotted milk, dragon's stout has some raw sugar and some chocolate. Getting some molasses as well, although very faint. A big bite of dried old fruit as well with plum. Cold cream as well.

T- Not my thing. I tried but this was not faring well for me. The ingredients did not mesh well with one another. Almost like the flavors are stale and past their prime while this is quite a fresh bottle. Old cream that sat out with a whole lot of old fruit.

M- Very creamy with a above medium mouthfeel. It's just not going down so smooth with the old fruit taste which is very prominent. A overload of cheap alcohol as well, yuck.

D- I tried and could not do it, done after three ounces. Could only take tiny sips. When i tried to take anymore my senses stopped me. Putrid. Sometimes it pays to live on the wild and adventurous side, but not in this case. Down the drain.

BARFLYB, Apr 11, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this at the LCBO after a friend told me this is "the coke of all stouts". I'm not 100% sure of what he meant but I'm eager to try.
Poured into my snifter. Opaque black with deep honey amber brown edges. About a finger and a half of creamy but thin khaki brown head with less than decent retention. Nice lacing.
Sweet milk chocolate malt and vanilla in the nose. Slightly smokey but strangely oily. Not too fond of the smell. Putting my nose right into the snifter, this brew seems pretty over-powering.
Almost tastes like you're drinking a milk sweet stout. Some nice milk chocolate and chewy malt but again with the strange oily medicinal notes that linger. The 7.5ABV also asserts itself in the taste.
A bit higher rating for the mouthfeel because it was full bodied and fairly smooth but I would not be able to drink more than one of these.

Overall, the almost cloying sweetness, pronounced ABV and strange oily medicinal notes made this a pretty unenjoyable stout. I don't think I'll be buying another one of these any time soon.

ludachris, Apr 10, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Aroma is fairly strong, smoky, oily and coffee-ish. Pours a dark chocolaty sable with a fairly thick but not too persistent beige head. Flavor is malty, smoky, and surprisingly sweet - but not cloying. There are hints of molasses and apple cider. Texture is quite smooth with just a little bit of a bite, and minimal fizziness. Not too shabby.

Cyberkedi, Mar 12, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -35.5%

Bought from a Harlem bodega.

A- Black with a tan head. "thick looking" when it was poured.
Looks like a stout

S. My nose is weak at the moment but there is a little bit of chocolate and coffee in the nose. Not much intensity though.

T. Way too sweet with a sickly aftertaste. Pretty nice chocolate taste but its just not well done.

Tastes like a Harpoon Chocolate Stout (good beer) except brewed with sewage water.

nms1987, Mar 04, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

I smiled when I saw this beer at the corner deli the other day while waiting in line. You can always count on finding a good stout at deli's in Carribean neighborhoods. Dragon Stout has met my mouth a few times over the past decade when I could not find Guinness and would never pull for a macro-lager and am glad to review after having many stouts since then.

A: Pours a slicky black motor oil viscosity with brown coffee tones stirring around to creat a khaki finger head.

T: Quite sweet, roasted malts and crystal, dark fruits with a heavy booze accents all over the place. Toffee in the aftertaste.

M: Cloying and syrupy.

D: For me it's slips down my throat with ease, but for those moving from regular dry stouts or Guinness, get ready for the taste to be full of sweetness.

Brianmerrilyn, Feb 14, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

A sooty black with crimson infused, holding it up to the light concedes sharp, lucid streaks of colour. It also reveals the beer to be far from opaque, its transparency is unhampered and its complexion as crystal clear as a bright lager. Initially prominent, its khaki toned head has since rifted and is now divided into a series of black water surrounded archipelagos. Giant banners of lace hang proudly.

The aroma possesses a dessert quality sweetness in part to the immodest addition of cane sugar. It smells above all else like sugar, although granted, there are subtle notes of milk chocolate, molasses, coffee sweetener, black licorice, and just a touch of plum and grape. I wouldn't mind if the over-ripe fruit character was a little more prominent but I'm starting to like this just fine the way it is.

Thing is: I like my sugar with coffee and cream. To my disappointment, those faint impressions of molasses, debittered chocolate, caramel, and black licorice don't come forth any more in the taste. I also prefer it without the sting of alcohol; Dragon Stout breaths more fire than should be the case. I think the tooth-decaying sweetness compounds the intensity of what's otherwise a modest 7.5%.

I would imagine just a little more bitterness or roast could go a long way to extinguish that flame. Not to be overly repetitive but the sweetness is left unchecked. Nevertheless, this type of character is only befitting for the style and saving graces of anise star and candied cherries ensure the drinkability isn't too hindered. Like with the aroma, I was apprehensive at first, but the beer certainly deserves a passing grade.

Judges say to think of this style as either an amped-up sweet stout or a scaled-down Imperial stout. I don't get either of those from this particular example but I do sense a great likeness to a Baltic Porter. In appearance and strength, this shares as much resemblance to the stale coffee and debittered chocolate tasting lager-like dark beers of the Baltic as it does to anything else I've tried from the Caribbean.

I have my fair share of critiques of the Dragon Stout - the exaggerated sweetness, the unmasked alcohol - but I've always felt to really know a beer and truly experience it at its best you must try it fresh in its native land. Unless Desnoes & Geddes want to pay my way to Jamaica I'll have to believe this is just an average foreign stout; it's not something I see myself drinking again here in Canada.

biegaman, Feb 08, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours very dark brown, almost black with very little head. Smells sweet and milky, with caramel and cream and just a bit of dark fruit. Fairly simple, but well enough crafted. Tastes sweet, creamy and lightly fruity with a little ashiness on the finish. Smooth and simple, but actually quite delicious. I've always liked the sweet, strong stout tradition in the Carribean. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a tasty beer instead of your usual macro lager. This is my favorite Jamaican beer.

Georgiabeer, Jan 28, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +19.9%

Dragon Stout is a black ale with a thick, bubbly, caramel brown head that shows good retention and lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet, with notes of molasses and brown sugar. There seems to be a smokiness to it. It's pretty full bodied and very smooth. It is thick and chewy with a clean finish. It tastes very sweet and a little grassy. There are notes of rum and toffee. There is a slightly smoky note at the finish. It's nice, but very sweet. It's a good thing it's in such a small bottle.

yesyouam, Jan 26, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

284mL bottle purchased in Jamaica in May 2008; best before stamp of November 2009. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Dragon Stout pours a black color into my pint glass. A 2" brown head forms and then collapses into the liquid. Low carbonation and lacing. The smell of this beer is faint, with restrained hints of sweet malt, chocolate and caramel.

This beer's taste contains nearly all of the same notes as the aroma, but it comes together much better here. The candy, chocolate, caramel and toffee flavors all mix into a smooth, sweet taste. A restrained spicy taste comes up occasionally, but that is the limit of the alcohol's influence on this beer. Dragon Stout feels quite light and wet. Finishes sweet initially, with ultimately a citrus and slightly roasted aftertaste.

I had a few bottles of this last summer; aging the beer has definitely smoothed out some of the rougher edges I noticed at the time. It's a welcome change of pace from the more typical heavily-roasted examples of this style.

swid, Jan 26, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Got this little bad boy at a small quick stop in Grand Cayman, right close to where they make the Tortuga Rum cakes. The beer had a very thick and fluffy head that lasted a good bit, then died out to a very thin laceing. The smell was of sweet malts and chocolate. Taste was similar, but very sweet, so sweet that it would be hard to drink a lot of these. I will say, this is a far cry from D&G's other beer, Red Stripe. I do like the Red Stripe, but this is stronger and sweeter. Overall not too bad, but nothing to get too excited about.

JISurfer, Jan 19, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Picked up a single for around two bucks at the Whole Foods in Cambridge. Poured into a tulip glass. Dark black color with a hint of brown at the edge of the glass. Good head, and nice lacing. Noticeable smell of roasted barley. Taste surprised me. Am I drinking a milk stout? Much sweeter than I expected. Good, but it caught me off guard. Alcohol is very well hidden also. A very easy beer to drink, but I would have preferred it after a meal as a nice dessert, if I had known.

morebeergood, Jan 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +23.7%

Got this at the LCBO in my town.

Bottle to a pint glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours thick black and very opaque. Minimal head collects around the edges of the glass and a slight wisp forms on top. No carbonation evident. The wisp remains the whole way down, but essentially no lacing. Pretty average for the style.

SMELL: A strong nose of roasted barley malt, dark fruits and spicy alcohol. Some dark black licorice in the background as well. Very pleasant.

TASTE: Dark fruits up front, dates and semi-sweet dark grapes. Some black licorice and spicy alcohol, but it's well hidden. Roasted barley malt is there and a nice sweet grape finish as well. Mild dark fruit aftertaste is very nice and appropriate. Complex and interesting.

PALATE: Medium body with medium carbonation. Goes down smooth with no bite and finishes slightly sticky.

OVERALL: This one was a surprise. It was very solid, very enjoyable, and I would definitely have another. Like other export stouts this one would not be a good choice for a session, but I'd definitely have a few. It was very enjoyable right to the last drop.

Jeffo, Jan 06, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Pitch black beer with a rich thick slowly fading head.Aroma is cocoa.Taste is chocolate,molasses,cocoa ans alcohol on the back end.This is a very sweet pleasant tasting stout.I would recommend and buy again,although I doubt you could drink more than three of these at one sitting!!

matty, Jan 06, 2009