Ol' Leghorn (Three Floyds Collaboration) - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Ol' Leghorn (Three Floyds Collaboration)Ol' Leghorn (Three Floyds Collaboration)

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Samuel906 on 06-01-2014)
Reviews by charlzm:
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Consumed on June 19th, 2014. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Beer is a clear light copper with a yellowish white head. One finger foam settles down to a thin skin soon.

Aroma is strangely ineffectual: some citric and tropical fruit hop notes (in a barleywine?) and sweet malt. Fleeting glimpse of bourbon. Smells good, but not "to style".

Flavor is not what the nose predicts! Up front is a malt wallop: strong and sweet with a touch of acetone. The hops rush in to save the day, however, with resiny pine sap and some of those pineapples and mangoes from the nose. More bitter than usual on the very long-lasting finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and sticky with carbonation on the low end of satisfying.

Overall, I understand that these guys were trying to go outside style guidelines and make something unique. They succeeded. Just not sure if it's the triumph I had been hoping for. No, I am sure, and it's not. Certainly not a bad beer, but I won't be buying it again.

Despite instructions to drink fresh, I still find myself wondering what age will do for this beer...

charlzm, Jun 20, 2014
4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

Pour from bottle. Pours a golden honey with a heavy inch white froth that does recede quickly. Foam structure does spider well on sides during session.

Aroma begins with ample hop. Caramel/toffee malts and biscuit. Muted tropical fruit. Freshly sanded oak. Smell pulls together well as it sits actually smelling heavier than it looks.

Taste is a quiet rush of hop followed by the caramel aspects. Some barrel heat evident but not obtrusive. Fruitiness still exists through the heavier handed malt bill.

Starts out refreshing and light then starts to lay heavy with the sugars as carbonation is low. Hop resins linger well into the olfactories.

Had I read reviews before buying this I would not have purchased. Not a huge fan of barleywines "in general". Bought this on the credos of both world class brewers. For me this colab has worked out successfully. I would love to partake of this on tap. I'm a big fan of FW's Double Dba and this is like a Ddba light. 3f hop magic sparkles making this a remarkable contribution. Maybe unbalanced if you want to split hairs but who says balance was their intent. Off centered brews for off centered people...oops wrong brewery. Great trying something newer (for me) by two of my favorite brewers.

joeseppy, Aug 24, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

tectactoe, Jul 14, 2014

Dabeel, Jun 04, 2014
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I actually really enjoyed this. I could see this being a beer you really love or really turns you off. Enjoyed at the FW Invitational Beer Festival, then again from a bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, gold-colored ale. Some head, but it was poured into a tasting snifter.

S - Smells hoppy - much like an IPA. Pine, caramel, apples, and some toffee.

T - Taste does not really follow the nose, making this really interesting. I tasted a sweet nectar at first. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it is quite fruity. I thought this would be really hopped-up in taste, but the hops actually just serve to balance out the malty barleywine flavor. Some of the barrel comes through as well - sweet bourbon, fruity mid-ripe white grapes, and some of that woody aged taste. This has a very nice sweetness that I think would be too much if it were not for the fresh hopped batch that this was blended with.

M - Smooth. Much easier for me to drink than most barleywines. Not syrup-y. I really like the fee of the fresh batch blended with the aged batch.

O - This is recommended to be consumed fresh, but I would be interested to see how it changes if aged. I am assuming it would start to taste like a big blond barleywine instead of a refreshing beverage, as the hop character turns into a malty beast. I really liked this.

Swongler, Jun 02, 2014

Gonzoillini, Sep 07, 2014

mjc3151, Sep 09, 2014
3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

BigDiesel, Aug 17, 2014

Clear copper with little head. Flat appearance.

Sugary sweet, apricot, orange, boozy smells and taste. Aroma is stronger than the flavor. Taste also has a tea like astringency.

Mouthfeel is sweet and boozy. Heavy.

A very good bw that blurs the line of DIPA.

Vonerichs, Aug 30, 2014

acidreflux, Oct 21, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours an apricot tinged golden yellow with a frothy thin layer of foam.

Heavy notes of oak and earth, raisins and dark fruits, and spice.

Pine, woodiness, mashed dark fruits, and hop bitterness cut through the sweet.

Mouthfeel is spicy and hot, but smooth on the end.

Overall, I'm glad I gave this one a shot, but I wouldn't pick it up again.

larryarms847, Oct 18, 2014

GRG1313, Sep 21, 2014
Ol' Leghorn (Three Floyds Collaboration) from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.