1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Union Jack India Pale Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 08-14-2007)
View: Beers (63) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Union Jack India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,160 | Reviews: 1,096 | Show All Ratings:
velmalikevelvet

1.88/5  rDev -55.8%

22 oz. chilled bottle, served in 4oz taster glasses.

A: Buttery gold (or, if you ask Carrie, "concentrated, stale mountain piss-colored"), minimal

S: Depending on the nose of the hoes, variously described as "Gewurztraminer", "citrusy" (x2), "apricots", and "bananas, maybe".

T: "Nothing up front, a big marble of bitter in the middle, and then extended breathing-out of the bitter", "no floral and almost no hoppiness", "spicy", "lots of volatile oils; you know, that stuff you scrape off the orange before you zest it".

M: "Thin spicy burning sharp", "light a match & breathe fire".

O: We did not enjoy drinking this beer.

(This was reviewed simultaneously by 5 people from the same bottle.)

09-11-2011 04:20:28 | More by velmalikevelvet
kojevergas

2.33/5  rDev -45.2%

Served on draught into a Miller Lite glass at the 9-0 Bar in South Central Los Angeles. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half-finger pathetic head of fair cream, decent thickness, and awful retention. Colour is a semitransparent yellow-copper.

Sm: Bittering hops. That's it. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Bittering hops are present on the climax over top a standard barley foundation. Poorly balanced but decently built.

Mf: Coarse, sharp, and wet. A touch watery (the kiss of death in my reviews).

Dr: The high ABV comes through far more than it should. It's watery and low quality. I won't have it again on draught, but I guess I'd try a bottle of it, hoping it were less watery.

10-08-2011 21:34:56 | More by kojevergas
JimiO

Nevada

2.73/5  rDev -35.8%

A classic IPA... and a good benchmark to utilize in measuring other IPA's. Good color and clarity... very easy on the nose... good balance of hoppiness (for an IPA)... sits nice in the mouth.

I tasted it along with Firestones DBA... I preferred the DBA. I am not a big fan of IPA's... I prefer less Hop. But this is a good quality IPA.

01-20-2014 23:18:20 | More by JimiO
turbine2475

2.85/5  rDev -32.9%

Thanks to BrewBakerE for this brew:

A - Transparent honey colored brew with a perfect two finger fluffy white head that hung around for a long time before slowly disipating leaving a heavy lace.

S - Smells sweets with a decent presence of floral and citrus malts with a honey sweet malt.

T - Murky citrus hops and a subtle caramel malt. Not much there. I wonder if I got a bad bottle.

M - Smooth, almost non existant, carbonation and a bitter aftertaste.

D - Not what I had hoped it would be. Would only try another another bottle to re-review it.

06-27-2008 21:33:01 | More by turbine2475
BearsOnAcid

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured this into a tulip glass. Big white fluffy head after a vigorous pour. Lacing is slightly thick and sticks to the glass. The color is basically what you see on the label for the bottle.

The smell had a nice piney/citrusy hops smell followed by candy. I'm picking up some alcohol as well.

Taste has a hard hit of piney bitterness. The malt flavor is pretty light. Slight caramel and bready flavors in the background. The finish is bitter, alcohol, grassy, astringent. It's a bit thinner than I'd like for an IPA. Carbonation is right. I'd like it more if it weren't for the astringent bitterness.

01-14-2010 22:53:49 | More by BearsOnAcid
kpoole25

Arizona

Poured to a glass. Light brown to orange color, a bit hazy, white head. Pretty typical IPA aromas, citrus and pine. Taste was pretty good up front, nice sweet, rich malt, but the finish really turned me off. There was a combination of flavors that didn't play well together on my palate...a combination of alcohol, the type of bittering hops and...maybe the oak?...just left me saying "not lovin' this." Difficult to finish the bottle.

08-26-2010 04:23:45 | More by kpoole25
jtierney89

Pours a bright copper color with a sizable foamy bright white head. Nice noticeable nose of the traditional american IPA scents, grapefruit, citric and pine. Smells good. Full mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Bright clean and crisp, flavors follow the nose. Hop bitterness is high. Can get a bit much after a bit, but other wise a pretty good IPA. Not for those who like that intense building bite. The carbonation breaks apart the body a bit on the back end adding to the slightly displeasing finish. I can see others loving this though.

03-28-2012 02:19:48 | More by jtierney89
HalfFull

3.05/5  rDev -28.2%

From a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden orange with a thin head. Offers little retention and some random lacing.

Smell is citrusy sweet. Hops and sweet malts intermingle and are a bit confusing. Once you pick one to focus upon things improve, yet I found myself seeking a rather unfamiliar, and seemingly unnatural, odor. Surely just the combination is unfamiliar. Well agitated the beer is rather hoppy, yet this profile plays second fiddle overall.

Taste is similar to the nose; slightly sweet, slightly odd, yet oddly compelling. A viscous mouthfeel tells me that the malts and the hop oils are working together. Lots of orange citrus, and the hops are subdued and buried beneath, or perhaps contibuting to the buttery malts. A sneaky IPA that is probably trying to snatch my wallet. I won't let it happen! In the end the hops are ruined by the 'simple sugar' sweetness of the beer. I find this beer unbalanced and overly sweet for an IPA, particularly given the nature of the malt structure.

Oddly, I've had this on tap on one occassion prior and I recall a very different beer. This one actually reminds me of their IPA Nectar...

Edit....Had on tap again in May '09 and must restate that the draft is a better, and dare I say, a different beer. I'll take the draft.

12-06-2008 06:03:01 | More by HalfFull

22oz to modern pint
7.5% ABV
IPA
Bottled on 07/12/13, bought ~08/07/2013

A – A very clear copper, some bubbles rising almost lazily from the bottom. Head reduced to a thin yet full layer. Lacing in the glass is craggy and quite nice.

S – Fruit and hay, a little bit of pine, and some malt to balance it out. Getting papaya, cantaloupe, and honey dew, not much citrus to be had. The smells work together nicely, but it’d be nice to have a bit more oomph from the hop aromas.

T – Similar to the smell, the taste needs more oomph. I like the level of bitterness, though it could be more. First I get the fruits and the hay, then the sweetness comes in to share the palate. The flavors kind of roll over the tongue and eventually leave a grassy honeydew aftertaste. Not a huge fan. As it warms, nothing more comes out, and it seems that just the sweetness strengthens a bit. Even for a pale ale this would be disappointing, but it tastes more like a hopped up bock.

M – Medium bodied, pretty soft, not tingly except for two seconds during the swallow. Wet finish. I’m not really digging this for style. This mouthfeel comes across more as a dinner or dessert beer, thanks to the excess sweetness. To be fair, I have to remind myself that it’s not a DIPA and I should try to separate the taste and mouthfeel.

D – I was excited for this one, but it really didn’t come through. Firestone does great stuff, and this IPA is well-regarded, but I struggle to agree that it is an IPA. As much as I’d like to give it love, I can’t. I’ll probably revisit this one when I can get it fresher in CA in a year or two.
4.25, 3.25, 3, 3, 3; 3.11.

08-12-2013 16:53:33 | More by nsheehan
davexisxrabid

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, and these were the results:

Nice fluffy one finger white head graced this slightly cloudy pale amber ale. Rings of lacing were left on the glass as the chugging commenced - nice!

The aroma was of a fruit forward chardonnay. Citrus and floral scents were immediately detectable, along with a sweeter malt characteristic and alcohol.

The taste was honestly, a bit of let down compared to the aroma. The sweeter characteristics were muted; I was not expecting that from this IPA; it was more of a hoppy citrus and slight grapefruit flavor, all in all, a little too much on the hops part that left the flavor unbalanced.

There is a lingering bitterness on the tounge that isn't like most other IPA's - instead of being pleasant, this one was a little too bitter. It did however, have nice carbonation that lightened it up a bit.

I wouldn't say this is a sessionable beer because at 7.5% abv, it might takes it toll on you if you choose to pound these away all night. It's a little heavy on the palate and the hoppy characteristics made it difficult for me to have more than just one. I would prefer their Double Barrel ale to this anyday.

12-03-2008 16:54:09 | More by davexisxrabid
b3barron

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured this into a Bell's pint glass. One of a few hop-focused beers brought back to me from California. My first beer from this brewery.

A - Normal pour produces a thin one-finger, off-white head with very little retention and small traces of frothy lacing. Nice glowing orange color with reddish hues when held up to a lamp.

S - Spicy hops and Caramel Malt. Faint floral hops and a little pine.

T - Malty sweetness giving way to earthy, then piney hops. A nice bitterness balances this beer out while it hangs around through the finish and sticks to the back of my tounge. I actually get some alcohol as this warms.

M - On the fuller-bodied side for an IPA. Could perhaps use just a little more carbonation.

D - Not bad but full body and warming alcohol detracts from the drinkability in a style that I otherwise consider to be very drinkable.

I like to call these "pizza beers". They serve a purpose but would not be an IPA I would buy regularly with many better alternatives available. Glad I had a chance to try it and worth a shot.

12-29-2008 22:33:03 | More by b3barron
eurekashane

3.23/5  rDev -24%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a-its like it almost can't decide what color it is (i drank out of 2 glasses to give the benefit of the doubt)

s-oddly bread-like. not the floral bouquet i expect from a 7.5% ipa. the nose gives me nothing to look forward to. that is the best way i can put it.

t-the best part of this beer is the taste, and that is the biggest factor. my overall grade on this beer won't factor high given the individual scores of each component, but if if i was helen keller i could love it. it is more than the sum of it's ba parts. it reminded me to not get lost in the minutiae.

m-it stuck to the rear of the roof of my mouth in a creepy way. really bizarre. i would love to know if this resonates with anyone else?

d-this is the beer equivalent of the girl you would like to f in the dark. when you can't see or smell it, it is awesome...

11-02-2010 03:50:57 | More by eurekashane
SaCkErZ9

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness dating noted. Pours clear and golden bronze in color with a white head of about one finger in size. Some bits of lacing remain on the glass.

Aroma is all hops. Piney and fruity, but mostly piney.

Flavor was nice but not my cup of tea. Rather sweet and overly fruity. The pine notes are noted in the finish but this one is full of fruity flavors and sweetness. The bitterness is left way behind. The bitterness is there at the very end but not much in the flavor up front.

A bit watery on the mouthfeel with low carbonation. I just didnt enjoy this one that much. It looked good and smelled good but the taste and mouthfeel were not pleasing to me. DRinkablity was low but certainly wasnt anything gross. I wouldnt purchase this again.

10-08-2010 23:47:19 | More by SaCkErZ9
AWolfAtTheDoor

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Fist commercial brew in a while, been plowing through a lot of awesome home brew. I'm still trying to figure out the fascination with this brewery. After complete disappointment with their DBA, I wanted to give this one a shot.

Clear light coppery color in my pint glass. Not a huge head, but the bottle was fairly cold. Lacing is reasonable, but not blowing my socks off.

Shitload of hops in the nose. And apparently Shitload is a word, because Fire Fox isn't telling me that I spelled that word wrong. Awesome. Anyways, kind of a citrus piny smell. I'm almost positive that it is Simcoe. My first thought when I smelled this was "Stone" and their affinity for Simcoe in their IPAs.

Taste mirrors the smell, albeit a bit lighter. While apparently the hop monkey at Stone only knows how to throw Simcoe into the kettle, there is at least some sort of an attempt to balance it out here. But with that said, I'm getting a lot pine and a bit of grapefruit on the mouth. Overall it's honestly fairly watery for a 7.5% ABV IPA. That's it! Eureka! It tastes like a watery Ruination.

Mouthfeel is mediumish. Hoppy flavor is clining to the back of my throat, the way that sweet drinks tend to accumulate there.

Eh, it's no where near a drain pour, but probably one of the crappier IPAs that I've had. Velvet Merlin is the only thing I'd ever buy from Firestone again.

02-13-2011 03:51:27 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
tr4nc3d

Kansas

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a 22fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a pretty light amber color with a very fluffy and marsh mellow like off-white head. Huge bubbles scattered around all on top of the foam. Great head retention with soapy lacing all throughout the glass. Very terrific looking.

Very mild citrus smell with slight hints of floral notes in there and that nice biscuit/caramel malt smell coming through. Smells exactly like the style calls for it. Looking good so far.

Damn, well hops have faded quite a bit on this, as you can tell from the slightly mild bitter taste upfront with the caramel malt being dominant in this. Nothing more(unfortunately)

Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Sweet caramel malt in the aftertaste.

Well this f**king sucks to tell you the truth. I do not know how fresh the bottle is since the damn brewers like to put no date or make it a treasure hunt to find it and decode it. All in all I heard good things about this and I'm sure it would be good if it was fresher. But I have to call it like it is and speak the truth whether it be fresh or old.

06-18-2009 00:59:55 | More by tr4nc3d
jethrodium

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

On tap. Pours a clear light amber with a one finger white head that has good retention and leaves a large amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine hops, a bit of grapefruit, caramel, and sugar cookie. Smells pretty sweet. The initial taste is sweet with pine and grapefruit, then some sugar cookie and a bit of caramel. Pretty sweet overall. The finish has a light bitterness. It would probably benefit from some more bitterness. Medium body. Low carbonation. A bit too sweet overall.

02-15-2012 20:04:55 | More by jethrodium
Avantyawn

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

12 Ounce bottle, aggressively poured into pint glass

A: Finely filtered , very clean, clear orange. Frothy white head, with retention as the head goes down. I like my IPAs to not look so clean so points off for over manicured filtered look. It looks rather unextraordinary.

S: Fruity sweet smells, peach, mango, white grape juice with a touch of booze. It smells very potent, yet not altogether enticing. Potent but not masterful.

T: Burned malty grain, too much booze flavor for 7.5 unfortunately, sloshy sweet malts. I find that the alcohol flavor takes away from what should be a robust hop flavor here. I have to admit, I am underwhelmed by the taste of this beer.

M: The beer is filtered so finely that the mouthfeel is a bit vacant. It's a strong ale surely, but it drinks too quickly because it doesn't feel like there is much for your mouth and tastebuds to grab onto. Also, the carbonation is too low, and it ends up feeling thin AND syrupy at the same time, an odd and unattractive combo in my book. Almost like flat champagne...

O: Overall , this is not a bad beer per say, but it is underwhelming and with so many awesome IPA's out there this will not be a go to for me. The batch is fresh, brewed in June, so freshness is not the issue here. I feel the beer needs a bit more grit and balls, it is too smoothed over without enough drama to the flavor. It's odd because Double Jack is one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting, so robust in hop aroma and flavor, and this just doesn't seem to come close on any level. Once again, not a horrible beer, but not even close to as good in flavor and taste as the Mission Street IPA they make for Trader Joe's! I think the APV is way too high for the flavor component here, the flavor is subtle, but with 7.5% you need a big flavor to distract the palette from the booze. When I drink this, I keep thinking of white grape juice and flat champagne...

06-28-2011 17:45:26 | More by Avantyawn
gnarlsbarley

3.33/5  rDev -21.6%

Color: dark golden hazy appearance. Pleasing

Smell: subdued hoppy smell with slightly sweet background

Taste: slightly sweet amber ale character up front, hop flavor comes on in the middle and finishes with a mix of bitter hops with light sweet malt

Thoughts: I prefer a stronger hop flavor/aroma. Mild tasting for an IPA. I do like the bitter aftertaste it leaves.

Comments: My favorite part about it is the hop bitter aftertaste. Otherwise, I prefer my IPAs with more more carbonation (I did have a cold bottle) and greater hop flavor and aroma. If you have a sweet tooth and like IPAs, you might like this one.

07-26-2010 04:33:11 | More by gnarlsbarley
atomicbeer

New Mexico

3.33/5  rDev -21.6%

On tap pint at the Yardhouse in Las Vegas. Clear copper color with persistent tan head that laced nicely on the way down. Delightful aroma of pine-grapefruit- floral that I could whiff all night. The taste is hops out the ass like chewing on grapefruit skin. Mouth is too bitter for me, surprising with the 7.5% ABV.

05-14-2011 22:29:00 | More by atomicbeer
beertunes

Washington

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean and clear golden amber with about an inch of slightly off white head that dissipated very quickly and left more than moderate lacing.

A floral hop aroma, backed with some pine, hits the nose upfront. The malt that , by definition, must be in beer has no presence. Yup, you guessed it, the flavors are dominantly pine and flowers.

Body and drinkability are average for the style. Overall, while this is a very enjoyable beer, I've now had a couple and look forward to more, it's just your basic California IPA. Very tasty, worth having several of, but does not stand away from the pack.

12-17-2009 12:45:24 | More by beertunes
MisterClean

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

Shared at a brew tasting.

A - Golden light head, dissipates moderately leaving a decent trail of lacing.

S - Alcohol, malts, and flowers.

T - Malts, flowers, and alcohol.

M - Tangy and sweet. Needs more bittering hops.

D - Good, but there is little balance in the beer and could age a little longer.

10-15-2008 18:04:40 | More by MisterClean
Gobzilla

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

A: poured a caramel brown with yellow highlights that a thin white head and left a little frothy lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the caramel malts pop out first longaide candy notes, citrus, bready, and faint hop aromas that real don't make a statement for a IPA.

T: the hops did show up on the taste some what but they weren't as potent as I thought they would be. The caramal malts held it down on the backbone with bready and citrus accents: not real punchy.

M: the brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that was not real prickly but had a sweet, slight bitter, and oily finish.

D: it drank really good but didn't have the hop punch and hop profile that I expect from a west coast IPA; maybe it wasn't as fresh.

09-04-2010 02:23:18 | More by Gobzilla
EspressoGuy

British Columbia (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

A: golden honey with hints of orange
S:lots of crisp grapefruit rind, pine, bread -- very nice.
T: big rich full; lots of malt, hops, and alcohol. Noticeable heat in the finish. The hops and malt are well integrated creating a cohesive taste. This alcohol is really at the high limit of American IPA so it's not really my preferred style. I find it just too much unless I was having it with a big tasting meal.
M: massive. Very full bodied.
O: I can't really find much fault in this beer but I doubt I'd order it again. I'm looking for more subtlety in an American IPA. I feel that the alcohol level and taste makes this really more of American Double / Imperial IPA which starts at 7%.

08-17-2012 05:41:27 | More by EspressoGuy
mpedara429

3.4/5  rDev -20%

A: Pours out a a very clear burnished gold color. Two fingers of off white head and moderate lacing. The clarity of this brew is impressive.

S: Grapefruit and ripe orange. A little floral scent and some dankness. Sweet caramel malt brings it all together.

T: Grapefruit is prominent. It is sweet on the tongue but tart on the way down. A hint of buttery biscuit. A good amount of bitter hoppiness with a little aftertaste.

M: Medium body with light to medium carbonation. 7.5 ABV but goes down pretty easy as it is clean and refreshing.

O: The nose speaks more than the tongue and the tongue was also fairly one dimensional. Not a huge fan as it lacked complexity.

12-19-2012 02:51:35 | More by mpedara429
Halcyondays

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz. bottle from a six-pack from BevMo Huntington Beach,

A: Pours a light orange, with a slow to form small white head, good retention, light lacing.

S: Pungent hops, mostly white grapefruit and citrus peel, light tangerine.

T: Lots of bitter melon, cantaloupe, and grapefruit upfront, with a bit of tropical fruit and caramel malt to end. Not my favourite hop profile, but very full-flavoured.

M: Crisp biting carbonation, with a lingering aftertaste, medium-bodied.

D: A pretty good IPA all-around, I won't have any problem finishing the sixer.

05-03-2008 20:41:11 | More by Halcyondays
Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.